Should I get the Vita?

AnimeFanTalk

I got spare change for a console or something lower but I've been feeling nostalgic for the PSP and wanted to experience it's relative PS-Vita. I've seen harsh reviews, and the console has a small library but there are some game I do seek to play. If you own the Vita weigh in your thought pls!

Browse its library and see how many games interest you. Then weigh the cost vs. benefit from your own point of view.

Personally, I don't regret buying a Vita even if its first party support was ultimately underwhelming. I did search deeper and ended up finding stuff I liked, so I've definitely gotten a lot out of it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AnimeFanTalk said:

LMFAOO I SWEAR I'M NOT. I've read read/watched reviews that the Vita has a small library.  

The vita has a HUGE library of games... Just not many Sony games! They pretty much abandoned the vita after the first year. But it's very much alive and kicking! Much thanks to limited run! It's definitely worth a buy! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AnimeFanTalk said:

LMFAOO I SWEAR I'M NOT. I've read read/watched reviews that the Vita has a small library.  

I can understand that some people hate anime and they won't find that much to play on Vita, but going by your nickname I think Vita is pretty much mandatory for you.

Personally, I spent more than 6000 hours on it and still have a backlog of over 100 games. So, yeah, go for it.

• Like 1

I debated getting one for a while but I when I finally got myself one I was so glad that I did and highly recommend that you do. 

I had a tonne of games I could dl for free from psn from crossbuy. Lots of decent games for it too that make good use of the touch features and what not. I can't imagine being without mine now! 

I got mine from ebay, came with 12 original games mainly lego ones that I can sell at some point and make more thank I paid for it too :)

Big publications/sites who've written/spoken negatively about the Vita are usually the same that say "Sony's reluctance to integrate cross play with other consoles was one of the BIGGEST MISTAKES EVER!"

You can't trust what you read. Nintendo always gets the huge pass (I still love Nintendo games) & Playstation gets dumped on. 

The Vita library is large enough to take on that mythical desert island trip & play for the rest of your days. If you love Playstation, the PSP & trophies I can guarantee you'll love the Vita. 

If not, just get a Switch. Not much new will be coming to Vita now. 

6 hours ago, AnimeFanTalk said:

...and the console has a small library...

You sure know how to convince people into joining this discussion ? ?

As for the question, though, I got a Vita a year ago and the only thing I'm considering now is whether I should get another one in case this one gets broken (it appears fragile, especially the joysticks). Shame on Sony for killing such a great platform.

I have my Vita since September 2012 and, today, more than six years later, I still have Vita games I haven’t started yet or that I want to buy and play. The Vita is an amazing console. I have to thank the PSNP community for making me more open to Japanese games, especially VN’s, since I always had trouble getting into JRPG’s. But yeah, when you love a console, you have to play what it has to offer. I definitely would like more high-profile Western games on the system. That’s not the case, which doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of interesting games available for the Vita. And, well, the Vita is a very loved handheld. Everyone who has it, loves it, so this must be a strong deciding factor for you.

• Like 3

For what it’s worth: excluding bundles, game + soundtrack repacks and game pages with expired/limited-time only licenses and the like, there are something like 900 full VITA games currently available on NA PSN store(s). Is that big or small? No idea.

Should you get a VITA? Well, does it have a good number of games that interest you in earnest?

Personally, I consider ‘size of the library’ to be less of a deciding factor in my decisions than ‘number of games I can imagine buying and playing’.

As for the library... I imagine that the 3DS library is big, but after buying the (shiny, cool turquoise!) system shortly after the price drop (and although I was an immense fan of the DS and it’s revisions), I ended up buying exactly 13 3DS games and played through (from start to finish and/or multiple times) 7 of them. Window shopping online or in stores always left me with the impression that the 3DS library is sizeable, I adore the 3D effect, enjoyed FFTheatrhythm and SMT and its spin-offs for more hours than must warrant ‘healthy and sane’, but - in retrospect - despite all these positive points the system was barely worth it for me.

Why? Not at all because the system itself is ‘bad’ or lacking in some way. Not because the library has ‘nothing’ to offer to 3DS owners overall. What didn’t make the purchase worth it for me was the extremely short battery life of the 3DS that didn’t fit my lifestyle at that time and because I couldn’t find many games that sparked my interest enough to go out and buy them. 

I waited until now to buy a PS4 - because I have since adopted a ‘wait, observe and decide’ style. I regularly checked and kept up with the PS4 library since Japanese launch in 2014 to be able to make a decision that I figured I’d be good with for a decent length of time. 

Long story short, I am taking breaks from playing my (much beloved) VITA as I type this post to illustrate the point that rather than consider the total size of the English VITA library, you ought to consider putting an emphasis on checking out said library. Give it a look. Check it for games that catch your interest and that you think you’d be willing to buy. 

This is the VITA section of the US webstorehttps://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-PSVITAALLGAMES/1

Edited by Fenrirfeather
spelling lessons for Pikachus
  • Like 1

Yes, no, maybe. I don't know, should you?

Maybe start by telling us what you are expecting or hoping to get. Because right now, the only thing that can happen is that people who like the Vita will say yes, other people will say no. How is that going to help you?

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

I feel like if you have to ask this question in 2019, the answer has to be no. They’re cool devices, and I’d personally pick one up again even in this glorious Switch age, but that’s because I know what I want to do with it and the value is there for me.

I have two, both slims, and they’re just used to play Spelunky with my wife. I don’t regret my purchase(s).

If there's stuff you want to play on it, chances are you won't regret the purchase. I bought one and mostly played stacks of certain games I liked plus a small group of exclusives so if I hadn't bought one already chances are I personally wouldn't buy one now, especially with my Switch. But that's just me, other people seem to really like it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't regret buying a Vita but I personally spend much more time playing Nintendo 3DS. Switch, PC and PS4 seem to be getting a lot of games that used to be found in Vita's library and like others have pointed out, Vita isn't getting many game releases anymore. I still have a few games in my Vita backlog - maybe because I rarely feel like picking it up and would rather play other games on other devices.

I'd recommend getting a Vita only if there are exclusives you really want to play.