Let's Play Ys

Nice, was waiting for this. Definitely sign me up for this event. I have Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4) and Memories of Celceta. Not sure which emblems I want just yet, will tell you once I know. Also started Origin on PS4 a while ago, might be what I need to get back into it. Could also be enough to make me get Lacrimosa on the Vita and plat it again. If only I had some space left on my Vita. Have to clear some other games first.

• Like 1

I'm in. It will kick start me back on Origin again.

I've finished the plat for Celceta already. The Karna badge is tempting but the colouring on the Freida badge came out sweet so that tips the scales for me and I'll go with Freida.

• Like 1

Celceta has been sitting patiently in my backlog for a while now so this event might be a good way to get the motivation to finish it once and for all. I'm also interested in the two other games but I might not participate right away as I'm still in the middle of Trails of Cold Steel and I promised myself I would also get rid of Chaos;Child after that.

Just now, Crimson Idol said:

You won't be able to get rid of it. It will follow you until you see disillusions yourself. :P  

It's probably going to become a meme at this point but I really intend on platting it one day  :P

I just knew you would comment on that. It feels like every time I mention Chaos;Child, I expect you in the background with a piece of cardboard with "not happening" written on it. :D

1548607538-2s5v5e.jpg

6 minutes ago, Myu said:

I just knew you would comment on that. It feels like every time I mention Chaos;Child, I expect you in the background with a piece of cardboard with "not happening" written on it. :D

Ouch. :D 

I just hope that you mention Chaos;Child way more often than me seeing you mentioning it or otherwise it may feel like I'm stalking you, which I'm totally not.  :P 

I'm definitely joining.  I already have the plat in all three games, but I'm going for the PS4 stacks of Lacrimosa of Dana and Origin right now. 

For my already finished ones, I'd like Hugo for Origin, Frieda for Celceta and Hummel for Dana.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NetEntity said:

Throughout the eons, civilizations rose, crested and fell...

still no sign of that treasure chest

I must've spent like two hours cross-referencing my map with a complete one, but I could never find that chest... I'm convinced it doesn't exist. Aside from the ones I'm currently playing, Celceta is the only Vita game in my collection that I haven't platinumed. I love Falcom, but I don't think I'll ever platinum an Ys game at this point.

4 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I must've spent like two hours cross-referencing my map with a complete one, but I could never find that chest... I'm convinced it doesn't exist. Aside from the ones I'm currently playing, Celceta is the only Vita game in my collection that I haven't platinumed. I love Falcom, but I don't think I'll ever platinum an Ys game at this point.

Ys Origin doesn't require a complete map or anything like Celceta and Dana do.  Nightmare difficulty on it is actually a challenge, but it's nothing that can't be overcome with either grinding or practice.  I'd recommend to give that one a shot.

Though Celceta is actually my first plat ever on PSN.  I actually platted it before we had much in the way of guides even.

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Ys Origin doesn't require a complete map or anything like Celceta and Dana do.  Nightmare difficulty on it is actually a challenge, but it's nothing that can't be overcome with either grinding or practice.  I'd recommend to give that one a shot.

Believe me, I tried...

NjEuTFE.jpg

Ys Origin is one of my favorite games. I  even own three different versions of it. That doesn't mean I'm any good at it, though. Nightmare boss rush destroyed me and has kept me away from this platinum for almost a year now. I managed to make it to the end, but I just couldn't beat the final boss. I wouldn't mind trying again, but having to start from the beginning kills it for me.

5 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Believe me, I tried...

NjEuTFE.jpg

Ys Origin is one of my favorite games. I  even own three different versions of it. That doesn't mean I'm any good at it, though. Nightmare boss rush destroyed me and has kept me away from this platinum for almost a year now. I managed to make it to the end, but I just couldn't beat the final boss. I wouldn't mind trying again, but having to start from the beginning kills it for me.

You're talking to the person who has over 600 hours of playtime in this game on Steam all because on there the 100% requires beating nightmare boss rush with all versions of all characters.  Eventually I did pull it off.  It took a ton of practice because I'm just not as good with every character who isn't Hugo.  Be glad this version only requires beating it once with any character instead of all because I doubt I would have tried for the plats if it did.

Try doing nightmare boss rush with EX Hugo.  EX version of Hugo has a bit more range and having to go from EX to regular on the Steam version for the nightmare boss rush, I can tell you there is a huge difference.  EX Hugo was also the first character I was able to pull it off with.  It will take patience and persistence, but it is a very doable thing.  This is a game where skill can be gained through practice because it's a matter of learning how to dodge the attacks.  Expect it to take more than a few tries the first time, but I can attest to the fact that even a terrible player like myself was capable of learning how to pull it off.  The final boss is definitely tricky and even sometimes takes me a few tries to do it, but once you know the patterns it's very doable.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, ladynadiad said:

You're talking to the person who has over 600 hours of playtime in this game on Steam all because on there the 100% requires beating nightmare boss rush with all versions of all characters.  Eventually I did pull it off.  It took a ton of practice because I'm just not as good with every character who isn't Hugo.  Be glad this version only requires beating it once with any character instead of all because I doubt I would have tried for the plats if it did.

Oh yeah, I remember looking at the achievements and thinking they were impossible (for me, at least). I never really cared for achievements for some reason; I have over 100 games on Steam and not a single 100%.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, ladynadiad said:

Try doing nightmare boss rush with EX Hugo.  EX version of Hugo has a bit more range and having to go from EX to regular on the Steam version for the nightmare boss rush, I can tell you there is a huge difference.  EX Hugo was also the first character I was able to pull it off with.  It will take patience and persistence, but it is a very doable thing.  This is a game where skill can be gained through practice because it's a matter of learning how to dodge the attacks.  Expect it to take more than a few tries the first time, but I can attest to the fact that even a terrible player like myself was capable of learning how to pull it off.  The final boss is definitely tricky and even sometimes takes me a few tries to do it, but once you know the patterns it's very doable.

I did use Hugo EX when I tried the first time. Oddly enough, I didn't find it all that frustrating until I got to the final boss. I must've spent at least an hour on that part alone. The thing is, I can only fail so many times before I lose it. I couldn't take it anymore and just gave up. What I should've done was take a break and come back to it later, I know that now. I do want to try again eventually, when that'll be, I don't know.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit, though. Whatever the case, the fact that you could 100% the Steam version at all is quite an achievement. I can't imagine the amount of persistence and determination you'd need for that. It's not something I could do, that's for sure.

Sorry for the late reply everyone. I've been busy and KH3 just released, so updates will be slow. I've added everyone that expressed to join.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, Edunstar84 said:

Not sure if I should sign uop or not. Maybe later, after I've completed SAO and Persona 5.

Ok, let me know once you've completed those games.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, viech54 said:

Nice, was waiting for this. Definitely sign me up for this event. I have Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4) and Memories of Celceta. Not sure which emblems I want just yet, will tell you once I know. Also started Origin on PS4 a while ago, might be what I need to get back into it. Could also be enough to make me get Lacrimosa on the Vita and plat it again. If only I had some space left on my Vita. Have to clear some other games first.

Sure, take your time to decide which emblems you want.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, Kevvik said:

I'm in. It will kick start me back on Origin again.

I've finished the plat for Celceta already. The Karna badge is tempting but the colouring on the Freida badge came out sweet so that tips the scales for me and I'll go with Freida.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Karna and Frieda emblem :lol: .

On 1/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, Kurorac said:

I'd like to join too. Almost done with Memories of Celceta, just have to do the last half of my hard playthrough.

Good luck with the final stretch.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:27 PM, Myu said:

Celceta has been sitting patiently in my backlog for a while now so this event might be a good way to get the motivation to finish it once and for all. I'm also interested in the two other games but I might not participate right away as I'm still in the middle of Trails of Cold Steel and I promised myself I would also get rid of Chaos;Child after that.

Have fun with Trails of Cold Steel, I liked that series a lot too.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:34 PM, Mesopithecus said:

I have Ys Origin sat in the backlog, so I'll join up.  Probably won't play it for a while though due to Kingdom Hearts 3 being almost here :yay:

Same here, Kingdom Hearts 3 comes first :highfive: .

On 1/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, ladynadiad said:

I'm definitely joining.  I already have the plat in all three games, but I'm going for the PS4 stacks of Lacrimosa of Dana and Origin right now. 

For my already finished ones, I'd like Hugo for Origin, Frieda for Celceta and Hummel for Dana.

Congrats for finishing all three games. You're the first person to make it to the Hall of Fame :yay: .

On 1/29/2019 at 11:02 AM, NetEntity said:

Throughout the eons, civilizations rose, crested and fell...

still no sign of that treasure chest

On 1/29/2019 at 9:58 PM, Cave_Johnson_ said:

It's sad that you two couldn't find the last chest. Maybe I'll boot up the game and take pictures of all the dungeons too for the complementary guide.

7 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I did use Hugo EX when I tried the first time. Oddly enough, I didn't find it all that frustrating until I got to the final boss. I must've spent at least an hour on that part alone. The thing is, I can only fail so many times before I lose it. I couldn't take it anymore and just gave up. What I should've done was take a break and come back to it later, I know that now. I do want to try again eventually, when that'll be, I don't know.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit, though. Whatever the case, the fact that you could 100% the Steam version at all is quite an achievement. I can't imagine the amount of persistence and determination you'd need for that. It's not something I could do, that's for sure.

Yeah, taking a break and coming back is usually the best thing, even if you suspend the game and come back after doing something else.  There is absolutely no need to do boss rush in one sitting,  At least the update makes it a lot smoother.  Boss rush on the Vita version before the patch was actually a lot harder because the game was so laggy until they patched it.

And it's not that I don't give myself enough credit, it's that I'm saying that it's possible for someone who is downright terrible with the characters to eventually learn boss rush well enough to beat it.  Ys Origin isn't like Muramasa Rebirth where you do need some actual skill and luck for fury difficulty (which I still haven't pulled off).

19 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It's sad that you two couldn't find the last chest. Maybe I'll boot up the game and take pictures of all the dungeons too for the complementary guide.

I think it might be easier to just start over at the point I'm at. Using a checklist from the beginning would probably be the best way.

18 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, taking a break and coming back is usually the best thing, even if you suspend the game and come back after doing something else.  There is absolutely no need to do boss rush in one sitting,  At least the update makes it a lot smoother.  Boss rush on the Vita version before the patch was actually a lot harder because the game was so laggy until they patched it.

And it's not that I don't give myself enough credit, it's that I'm saying that it's possible for someone who is downright terrible with the characters to eventually learn boss rush well enough to beat it.  Ys Origin isn't like Muramasa Rebirth where you do need some actual skill and luck for fury difficulty (which I still haven't pulled off).

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I never played the Vita version, but I do remember hearing that it was a bad port (when it first came out). Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'll attempt it again sometime soon, maybe after I'm completely finished with Resident Evil 2.