Let's Play Ys

11 minutes ago, viech54 said:

And does anyone know which JP/Asian Ys versions have English subtitles? I'm considering going all the way and completing all Ys games on PS4/PSV that have trophy lists. It'd be 6 x Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana, 4 x Ys Origin, and 2 x Ys Memories of Celceta as of today if I'm not mistaken.

Japanese definitely doesn't.  Asian versions sometimes do depending on the game.  I have found other Falcom games to be pretty import friendly though and have done quite a few plats for Legend of Heroes games in Japanese.  Character names and a lot of equipment/item names are in katakana and Falcom often will romanize some stuff like place names.  The newer games also have markers showing where to go and such and well if you don't have Ys Origin memorized by now I'd be shocked.

6 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Japanese definitely doesn't.  Asian versions sometimes do depending on the game.  I have found other Falcom games to be pretty import friendly though and have done quite a few plats for Legend of Heroes games in Japanese.  Character names and a lot of equipment/item names are in katakana and Falcom often will romanize some stuff like place names.  The newer games also have markers showing where to go and such and well if you don't have Ys Origin memorized by now I'd be shocked.

I see, thanks, that does help. Guess you'll be pretty shocked, then. Never got the plat in any Ys Origin stack so far, definitely don't have it memorized. Origin is the reason I'm only considering it. Don't know if I have the skill to pull it off. All other Ys games are no problem, did them before, could do them again.

Edited by viech54

9 minutes ago, viech54 said:

I see, thanks, that does help. Guess you'll be pretty shocked, then. Never got the plat in any Ys Origin stack so far, definitely don't have it memorized. Origin is the reason I'm only considering it. Don't know if I have the skill to pull it off. All other Ys games are no problem, did them before, could do them again.

Ah, Ys Origin is a bit more repetitive than the other Ys games since each route has items found in the same spots and the same general path to them and you can finish each route in about 5 hours or less on normal difficulty, so it's very doable to memorize the game since you need six playthroughs for the plat.  The only two trophies in Origin that are hard are beating nightmare boss rush and beating each arena level on nightmare.  With those you can choose which character to do it as (I recommend EX Hugo for boss rush, arena can be done with Hugo or Toal).  But once you've gotten enough practice to do them once, you will have the skill needed to do it again.  By my third stack, I was good enough that normal felt like easy difficulty and nightmare was only somewhat hard.  Pretty much stick with a strategy of get yourself 1-2 levels above the boss and you'll be fine for the bosses on nightmare.  If you have trouble, grind and get another level.

4 hours ago, viech54 said:

Thanks, looking great. Will add this to my trophy checklist once I actually continue working on it. One thing, though: Do I need to be worried about a bug preventing me from editing old posts? I recall something lke that going around a while ago.

I'm not sure about that. I receive that bug when trying to edit the second post of my checklist, but not the first post. After copying everything from the second post to the third post, I got the same message when attempting to save the third post, which lead me to believe it's something within the post itself that's causing it. Next, I tried to remove one spoiler tag at a time and save it to narrow down which part was causing it, but I kept receiving the message. Eventually, I just continued in the third post.

13 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Here you are:

RMvGT63.png

Thanks! I've added it to my trophy checklist.

Once I get back to Ys VIII I think I'm going to start from the beginning again since I started the game before the new translation was released, so I get the full experience from it. That, and I don't really remember what has happened in the ~4 hours I played so far.

1 hour ago, Arctic Cress said:

Thanks! I've added it to my trophy checklist.

Once I get back to Ys VIII I think I'm going to start from the beginning again since I started the game before the new translation was released, so I get the full experience from it. That, and I don't really remember what has happened in the ~4 hours I played so far.

Sure thing :D .

Yeah, that's probably for the best. The new translation patch makes the experience better.

• 3 weeks later...

Got another plat for this LP, the US PS4 Ys8 one.
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6627-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana/viech54

1Lfeb328.png

Adventurer Extraordinaire

Liked it a lot more than on the EU PS4 version due to the retranslation patch and some personal improvements in my life.

Will go for either another Dana stack (EU PSV), the JP Celceta, or the EU PS4 Origins next, but not this month and also most likely not in May.

Not sure about June, might be when I get back into Ys games.

For the trophy, I'll take Adol this time.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, viech54 said:

Got another plat for this LP, the US PS4 Ys8 one.
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6627-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana/viech54

1Lfeb328.png

Adventurer Extraordinaire

Liked it a lot more than on the EU PS4 version due to the retranslation patch and some personal improvements in my life.

Will go for either another Dana stack (EU PSV), the JP Celceta, or the EU PS4 Origins next, but not this month and also most likely not in May.

Not sure about June, might be when I get back into Ys games.

For the trophy, I'll take Adol this time.

Congratulations :yay: , here's your trophy. Be sure to save it on your computer to have a backup in case something ever happens to imgur.

g0N2jap.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Congratulations :yay: , here's your trophy. Be sure to save it on your computer to have a backup in case something ever happens to imgur.

g0N2jap.png

Thanks, looks great :) Downloaded it right away.

Also found the KH logo in the banner. It's on... Yeah, no the others can go find it themselves :P

But rumor has it that a certain dragon can find my answer in a message I'm about to write.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, viech54 said:

Also found the KH logo in the banner. It's on... Yeah, no the others can go find it themselves :P

But rumor has it that a certain dragon can find my answer in a message I'm about to write.

Awesome :D .

Finally, someone found it or even posted about it. Up until now I was thinking no one bothered to find it.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Awesome :D .

Finally, someone found it or even posted about it. Up until now I was thinking no one bothered to find it.

Awesome that you had to quote all my typos :D

Didn't notice it at first, was this there since the start of this LP? Anyway, after Ys 8 and The Walking Dead: Final Season, my next game will be KH3. Kinda felt like it thanks to that.

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

Awesome that you had to quote all my typos :D

Didn't notice it at first, was this there since the start of this LP? Anyway, after Ys 8 and The Walking Dead: Final Season, my next game will be KH3. Kinda felt like it thanks to that.

I don't know what you're talking about :ninja: .

Yeah it's been there since the start of the LP. Have fun with KH3, completing it will make you eligible for another LP trophy.

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I don't know what you're talking about :ninja: .

Yeah it's been there since the start of the LP. Have fun with KH3, completing it will make you eligible for another LP trophy.

Neither do I :ninja:.

How would you rate the KH3 minigames compared to, say, the gumi ship missions in the first KH, or the ice cream beat from BbS? Minigames are what make or break a KH for me. The battle system is alright/good most of the time, don't have any problem with it. KH3's story, or at least the parts I've already seen (three worlds or so), didn't give me what I was looking for. Hope there'll be more relevant parts of the story such as

Spoiler

Anything related to the BbS trio

Actually meeting Xehanort

Getting Sora's powers back

Finding the black box Maleficent/Pete are looking for

Connecting KH χ Back Cover with KH3 & generally more about χ's characters.

Finding Guardians of Light or fighting Seekers of Darkness

Keep in mind I haven't played much so far, so please don't tell me if anything of the above is in the game or at least tell me if I can read whatever you write in a spoiler without spoiling the plot for me so that it's my own fault if I read it despite a spoiler warning.

16 minutes ago, viech54 said:

Neither do I :ninja:.

How would you rate the KH3 minigames compared to, say, the gumi ship missions in the first KH, or the ice cream beat from BbS? Minigames are what make or break a KH for me. The battle system is alright/good most of the time, don't have any problem with it. KH3's story, or at least the parts I've already seen (three worlds or so), didn't give me what I was looking for. Hope there'll be more relevant parts of the story such as

Hide contents

Anything related to the BbS trio

Actually meeting Xehanort

Getting Sora's powers back

Finding the black box Maleficent/Pete are looking for

Connecting KH χ Back Cover with KH3 & generally more about χ's characters.

Finding Guardians of Light or fighting Seekers of Darkness

Keep in mind I haven't played much so far, so please don't tell me if anything of the above is in the game or at least tell me if I can read whatever you write in a spoiler without spoiling the plot for me so that it's my own fault if I read it despite a spoiler warning.

The story is pretty disappointing, as none of the Disney worlds matter. It's just a really long prologue or filler content. After completing those, the KH3 story really starts and that part just feels incredibly rushed, since the rest of the story only had teasers. Not everything in the spoiler tag is in the game though.

The mini-games are doable, I only had trouble with Verum Rex mini-game.

Sign me in, please :lol:

I'd like to get me some of that Ys glory as well, for Lacrimosa of Dana and the previously completed Celceta :awesome:

Awesome custom trophies to choose from, but I'd like the red Adol for Celceta and the blue Dana for Ys VIII.

That makes a nice combo xD

18 hours ago, Ala-Arska said:

I'd like to get me some of that Ys glory as well, for Lacrimosa of Dana and the previously completed Celceta :awesome:

Awesome custom trophies to choose from, but I'd like the red Adol for Celceta and the blue Dana for Ys VIII.

Excellent choice, I'll create those after getting home.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ala-Arska said:

Here they are:

FZENjrG.pngVtLleoY.png

Be sure to save a copy on your computer, that way you'll have a backup in case something ever happens to imgur.

7 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Here they are:

FZENjrG.pngVtLleoY.png

Be sure to save a copy on your computer, that way you'll have a backup in case something ever happens to imgur.

Will do, thank you very much xD

Absolutlely love the Ys games, at least the ones i played. Got all 3 plats of the games on the Vita and lately i have been wanting to start playing Origin on the Ps4. Its a bit grindy but such a lovely game.

@Dragon-Archonif you would honor me with these badges i would super appreciate it. Celceta Karna, YsVIII Adol, Origin Hugo.

1 hour ago, LuleLiinus said:

Absolutlely love the Ys games, at least the ones i played. Got all 3 plats of the games on the Vita and lately i have been wanting to start playing Origin on the Ps4. Its a bit grindy but such a lovely game.

@Dragon-Archonif you would honor me with these badges i would super appreciate it. Celceta Karna, YsVIII Adol, Origin Hugo.

Awesome, congratulations :yay: . You're the fourth person in this event to have completed all 3 games. Here are your trophies:

zca4ZT3.pngjzOEc8I.png13s2q1b.png

There's now a bonus trophy for those who plat the PS4 and Vita version of Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana. A big thank you to @viech54 for finding a suitable image to use.

ZyjJTay.png

Once the PS4 version of Ys Memories of Celceta has been released, that one will also have a bonus trophy.

Edit:

It seems @Phoenix_argentea is already eligible for the bonus trophy, congratulations :yay: 

HV8TQAr.png

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 3

Wow, @Dragon-Archon, you've been really fast, thank you! :yay: I didn't expected an extra emblem! ? Surely I'll go also for the PS4 version of Memories of Celceta.

And for the Vita version of Ys VIII I pick Laxia ?

And a question: where is the hidden KH emblem? I can't find it! In a spoiler tag, please, because I don't want to ruin the surprise to the others.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

Wow, @Dragon-Archon, you've been really fast, thank you! :yay: I didn't expected an extra emblem! 1f60a.png Surely I'll go also for the PS4 version of Memories of Celceta.

And for the Vita version of Ys VIII I pick Laxia 1f609.png

And a question: where is the hidden KH emblem? I can't find it! In a spoiler tag, please, because I don't want to ruin the surprise to the others.

Spoiler

On Adol's collar.

5 hours ago, Phoenix_argentea said:

Wow, @Dragon-Archon, you've been really fast, thank you! :yay: I didn't expected an extra emblem! ? Surely I'll go also for the PS4 version of Memories of Celceta.

And for the Vita version of Ys VIII I pick Laxia ?

Here you go:

rG19bUq.png

I completely missed @ladynadiad also platted both the Vita and PS4 version of Ys VIII, so here's a bonus trophy for you to :D :

rdnF5yK.png

22 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Awesome, congratulations :yay: . You're the fourth person in this event to have completed all 3 games. Here are your trophies:

Many thanks, super exited now about starting up a second run of Origin, and if the Celeceta PS4 version comes to EU i will definitely play that as well.