Let's Play Ys

1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, sadly Yunica's damage output just isn't as good as Hugo and Toal's.  Having a ranged fire attack does help since she at least doesn't have to go in close like Toal.  Grinding is pretty much necessary to ensure she can do enough damage, plus you have to make sure you get the weapon upgrades.  Of course I'm sure by now you have their locations down pretty well.

But hey, at least only one area left for her.  I'll also go ahead and give you a nice hint for later on since she gets the harder version of Kishgal.  While it seems like Kishgal would be weak to fire, he's actually weak to lightning.  The fire skill is great for clearing up the icicles, but bolt crash will do the most damage.  By then you'll also have burst and while hers kind of sucks since the human bosses will just move away and/or put up a shield, it's ability to grant immunity to attacks can be a lifesaver with later bosses on nightmare since Yunica doesn't have Godspeed to get the hell out of the way of some of those instant kill attacks.

Good luck and hopefully you're making good use of that nice little glitch that allows for massive SP gains on nightmare.

I agree, she's definitely the worst character. It's funny, when I first started as Yunica, I thought she was ok and it took a lot of time to get used to Hugo's playstyle. 

Oh wow, I didn't know Kishgal was weak to thunder. I only used the fire skill as Yunica and Toal as it also cleared the icicles. 

Yeah, I've been using the SP glitch and it helped a lot.

On 6/9/2019 at 1:57 PM, Dragon-Archon said:

I have to say, the mantis boss is a cheater too. He spawns those little bugs incredibly fast after they revive the boss. I got lucky when the mantis jumped and pushed me away, the distance was shorter than usual. But even with the Godspeed skill I barely managed to defeat it. Is there an easier way to do it as Yunica and Hugo?

Probably you already did it, but my strategy with Yunica was clearing the arena with the fire phoenix, leaving the Mantis with very few HPs and few bugs. When she revives and jump, throw a charged phoenix (with the burst) and you should manage to kill her. :)

With Hugo is easier: clear everything with the trapped mines. When she revives, stay in the center of the arena, follow her jump and put close to her a charged trapped mine (with the burst), and nothing more!

By the way, I should pick my 4th (and final) Ys Origin trophy (the Asian Vita version)... And actually, I don't know what to choose! I think I'll pick Toal. Maybe I'll choose Hugo or the other Goddess with the PS5 version :giggle: (if there will be a PS5 version...).

Edited by Phoenix_argentea

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Awesome dedication thread to the Ys series.  I just platinumed all 3 Ys games and Origin is the definition of a Nightmare.  Even watching Youtube videos on how to beat the bosses, I still got wrecked easily.  Dragon-Archon, for the trophies, I would like to have (Ys Memories: Karna, VIII: Blue Dana, and Origin: Yunica) please.  I can't wait to play Ys IX by next month since this series is so good.