Metro Exodus To Be Exclusive on Epic Games’ Store

ResoluteRock

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/metro-review-bomb-steam/

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

“The decision to make Metro Exodus an Epic Games Store exclusive, less than three weeks before its scheduled release date, came as a tremendous surprise, especially since it had been available for preorder on Steam for months prior to the announcement. The game is actually $10 cheaper on Epic for US customers, attributed by Deep Silver CEO Klemens Kundratitz to the store's "generous revenue terms," but that discount did not mollify gamers unhappy with the move to a different storefront.

User reviews can't be posted to the Metro Exodus page on Steam, of course, and so gamers who feel wronged are turning their attention to where they can inflict pain: its Steam-based predecessors, Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux. Both pages have been heavily review-bombed over the last couple of days, and are now showing "mostly negative" recent reviews—although their overall review ratings remains "very positive."”

As for pre-orders from Steam that we’re made before this announcement...

“An FAQ on the move from Steam to Epic says that people who ordered a physical edition of Metro Exodus will not be affected, stating, "You will receive your packaged game with a key allowing you to play." It does not specify whether the key will be for Steam or the Epic Games Store, but Deep Silver clarified on Twitter today that it will be an Epic key.”

Sucks for Steam users to have to go through a Epic Games’ store all of a sudden in order to get a title that was previously available on Steam, especially because this decision was made so close to release. At least their pre-orders will be fulfilled, but they still have to go through Epic Games’ store. Doesn’t affect us PlayStation users though at least.

Edited by ResoluteRock
  • Like 1

I don't really care about this. Steam's monopoly of the digital market gotta meet the end of its day. I also do hope in the future we get to see PSN Code keys to be sold more often. Most of the time it's just major games like TLOU that gets sold as codes in other websites like amazon and the like. Competition is always better for the consumer.

• Like 2

Devs make more money selling through Epic's store so it's a no brainer that a lot more games are going to be jumping ship.

The whole taking preorders thing is a kick in the nards but what can you do. They might as well get used to buying on Epic now anyways, since more and more games are going to go through there.

The Division 2 had this whole preorder then jump to Epic fiasco too. You can't really blame either game though, Steam was taking pre orders for them before the Epic store was even announced.

59 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Oh please. Needing fifty million launchers to play games on PC is stupid. And you should get to decide where your money goes. I ain't supporting Epic.

Outside of Steam, Epic, Battlenet, and Origin what other launchers are you talking about to make the fifty million launchers hyperbole? 

Like I said Exclusivity on the PC don't exist, buying a digital pc game from one store over the other doesn't matter. Even when it comes to sales it doesn't matter since the game developer/company decides what the sale price is not the store. 

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

They win because they're the best. The fact Epic is paying companies for exclusivity speaks volumes about the lack of healthy competition. GOG never had to do that to carve a piece out of PC gaming. And the fact developers are still using Steam features to advertise their games on Epic Store is hilariously inept.

Epic isn't competing by providing a better service, they're buying shit. The Microsoft way.

Nah, they are just the oldest. Steam is full of shit in many ways, they need to be taken out of the big pedestal they are on. I'm very happy that more platforms are showing up, with blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Epic, Discord store. Decentralizing power is always good. Too much power leads companies to be selfish and greedy. See how sony because a shitshow after PS4 started leading against all other systems? Fuck that shit, I ain't having none of that.

I don't personally agree with exclusivity as that is something I always hate regardless of how it's done, but I think I can let this one pass since Epic will give the company a far bigger cut that Steam does. PC people can still buy from Epic if they want the game that bad and they are still probably getting a bigger profit losing some sales while having less overall sales.

I think people just overreact too much about different launchers. I like the idea, personally. If something ever happens to your steam account, you still have games in other places, it's not like you just lost your whole gaming history.

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

Epic isn't competing by providing a better service, they're buying shit. The Microsoft way.

I don't know if that's the case. Epic is trying to launch a store that takes less of a cut so they can support devs through better profit margins. I highly doubt they're taking money out of their own pocket, when they're already making less off of it. Who's to say these heavy hitters aren't giving them exclusivity to help them in their cause? I haven't heard anything either way, but ones just as plausible as the other.

Epic is trying to do a good thing for the gaming industry by launching this store. I'll always give them the benefit of the doubt for that reason.

• Like 3

Epics store is iffy, I mean no user reviews at all is bad on itself.
Metro will probably lose sales at least for the first year as I have heard it is only a year exclusive. 
Only a minority of Steams users will probably bother to get Epics store.
Also Steam is the best PC store due to their summer sales alone.
I have seen a lot of people saying they will most likely torrent Metro Exodus now.
But there is the added thing that anyone who pre-ordered on Steam will get the game and future dlc on steam.

1 hour ago, soultaker655 said:

Outside of Steam, Epic, Battlenet, and Origin what other launchers are you talking about to make the fifty million launchers hyperbole? 

Like I said Exclusivity on the PC don't exist, buying a digital pc game from one store over the other doesn't matter. Even when it comes to sales it doesn't matter since the game developer/company decides what the sale price is not the store. 

Discord has games now, Twitch does too, also UPlay.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, PooPooBlast said:

Money speaks.. but if people speak louder they might just repeal that decision

or they give the consumer two huge middle fingers in response to the boycott. Like this

I mean the whole "vote with your wallet" only goes so far. I mean sure you can and should but honestly, people are so quick to boycott over the tiniest things. I mean I don't play PC so ill gladly welcome more console exclusive games but this lesson can be learned for us too. Keep boycotting games and soon they won't be around or they will go where the money is coming from and that apparently won't be to you

1 hour ago, Stargazer2600 said:

or they give the consumer two huge middle fingers in response to the boycott. Like this

I mean the whole "vote with your wallet" only goes so far. I mean sure you can and should but honestly, people are so quick to boycott over the tiniest things. I mean I don't play PC so ill gladly welcome more console exclusive games but this lesson can be learned for us too. Keep boycotting games and soon they won't be around or they will go where the money is coming from and that apparently won't be to you

Damn that's some Bethesda level PR! Still remember how poorly they handled fallout 76 merch compensations and this is very reminiscent and if not worse. 

And it's not like I play on PC either. Btw, I played 2033 which was alright/ on the meh side imo so I wasn't really planning on buying this. 

I remember reading an article saying that the devs will get 88% of sales on epic store vs 70% on Steam so jeah.. they're not changing their mind

2 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Yikes, way to handle that situation. "If you guys successfully boycott our game on PC, well guess what? Next Metro game, we're not even gonna release it on PC to punish you guys."

This game is looking more and more like a flop thanks to how poorly this situation was handled.

Also, I understand that the developers get more $$$ per sale on the Epic Games store, but they'll definitely have a lower number of sales on the Epic Games Store vs. Steam. Sure, you might make more per sale, but if you're giving up lots of potential sales on Steam, then you're most likely making less money overall in the long run. As a business decision, I don't think this was very smart financially because they're giving up a good number of sales by taking this off of Steam.

Also, I know how people preach that the Epic Games Store is the best and it gives more money back to developers. However, I have heard that if developers sell their games on the Epic Games store, it is not allowed to be sold on any other launcher. If this is true (I've read this on the Internet, so who knows if it is?), then I wouldn't want to see Epic Games Store take over the PC gaming market, as this could allow the Epic Games store to have a monopoly over many titles, therefore ruining the whole "competitive market" that drives down prices for the consumers. Sure, the competition is great now between Epic and Steam because the consumer will (most likely) benefit by reduced prices (Metro Exodus is now $49.99, not $59.99) but in the long run, this could really hurt consumers by giving Epic a monopoly over many titles.

I'm sure there's a solution, but the Epic Games store isn't it (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong about anything I've said).

Funny, this is the second company threatening consumers in a few months, after Namco and its "if SoulCalibur VI doesn't sell well, buh-bye franchise". I bet it flopped anyway. People are paranoid about multiple PC clients because they think they'll infect their PCs when they simply have crappy configurations and/or protections and can't admit it.

EDIT: nevermind, SC6 is a success. Cool.

Edited by Lance_87

58 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Funny, this is the second company threatening consumers in a few months, after Namco and its "if SoulCalibur VI doesn't sell well, buh-bye franchise".

Seems to be a trend. It's why I been pushing support for 76. If a game doesn't sell and make money, we won't have that game anymore.

The industry isn't f****ng around with us anymore. If we want our games and franchises to continue. We need to give the companies that hold the rights the money.

Boycott a game if you want but if it falls, don't expect anymore of that title.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, Stargazer2600 said:

Seems to be a trend. It's why I been pushing support for 76. If a game doesn't sell and make money, we won't have that game anymore.

The industry isn't f****ng around with us anymore. If we want our games and franchises to continue. We need to give the companies that hold the rights the money.

Boycott a game if you want but if it falls, don't expect anymore of that title.

And nooow... DAMAAAAAGE CONTROOOOOOOOOOL!1!!!one:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/after-staffers-warning-metro-dev-addresses-series-/1100-6464787/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

Edited by Lance_87