Alice Asylum Patreon

BG_painter

If it's like Kickstarter, you would only pay if the funding goal is reached.

Edit: Ok, it's not like Kickstarter, lol. Instead of pledging one large sum if the project is funded, you commit to a smaller "subscription" which you pay each month in exchange for some smaller rewards (e.g., access to early builds). Seems like you can pay as little as $1/month. I'd check out the patreon link directly for more detail:

https://www.patreon.com/americanmcgee

Edited by RNumbers

Patreon is a bit different than kickstarter right? Basically lots of people paying a small amount on a monthly (?) basis to fund someone's ongoing projects. I would prefer something like kickstarter. I liked the PS3 game so much that I would happily make it my second ever Kickstarter project to back.

• Like 2

thats because mcgee is an idiot. he created a wonderful creepy and just brilliant alice, but he is still an idiot. he is so unpopular that EA don't want to back his new game and they took his name out of the title of the second game back when it was released bc of that too.

Edited by Ai-ds_low
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BG_painter said:

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/01/alice-asylum-patreon-is-being-used-to-fund-pre-production/76087/

https://www.patreon.com/americanmcgee

The creator of Alice series American Mcgee is creating a patreon to support the pre production of the game, he intends the game to be out by 2021.
The ps3 game was pretty good imo, and the art style is still the same from the first game.

American McGee is awful.

2 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Patreon is a bit different than kickstarter right? Basically lots of people paying a small amount on a monthly (?) basis to fund someone's ongoing projects. I would prefer something like kickstarter. I liked the PS3 game so much that I would happily make it my second ever Kickstarter project to back.

Patreon is great for pseudo-celebrities to rope in pigeons, and pigeons are the only one who would give to this guy. Why set up Kickstarter, where everybody gives one time, when you can keep milking the fanboys over and over?

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

I have backed a few things on Kickstarter and while Yooka Laylee was completed the other was not. I didn't mind backing Yooka Laylee because the amount I paid was far less than what it would have cost me to buy it from the store but in the case of the other I was suckered in by a great campaign and the guy now writes sob stories about how he can't afford to build the game he promised (at least I was only out 10$ but it still pisses me off).

I will never back anything again because honestly that is what investors are for. Investors get a return on their investments but things like this are just normal people giving money to get a game that will make someone else profits. This isn't a charity...actually it would be better to give your money to charity because at least then people who need it would be getting paid and you would get a tax write off.

So yeah, can we please stop supporting rich people (or clueless people's) projects. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

American McGee is awful.

3 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

thats because mcgee is an idiot. he created a wonderful creepy and just brilliant alice, but he is still an idiot. he is so unpopular that EA don't want to back his new game and they took his name out of the title of the second game back when it was released bc of that too.

Okaaaaaay what did he do.....? :blink:

Ppl may like or dislike certain plataforms that is their personnal opinion, but I am not aware of any controversy regarding his name as of late. Let me know send me the prints/links :giggle:

On 31.1.2019 at 11:45 PM, BG_painter said:

Okaaaaaay what did he do.....? :blink:

Ppl may like or dislike certain plataforms that is their personnal opinion, but I am not aware of any controversy regarding his name as of late. Let me know send me the prints/links :giggle:

to be honest I don't know what EA or someone else has against him, All I just read everywhere is just that. that there is a problem and they cut his name form the title of the second game so ppl wouldn't know its his alice game when seeing it somewhere.

all I can say is, I recently watched a livestream with him, and he wasn't able to say 2 connected sentences with some kind of sense and switched topics pretty often, pple were diappointed in the comments. meanwhile he was playing his own alice madness returns game and totally sucked at it and the stream was pretty cringeworthy.

In one stream he talked about his plans to create alice part 3 and wanted to apply with his idea for cooperation with a publisher and had hope EA would do the trick, but since he started his patreon now I think no one wanted him notwithstanding that alice madness was a pretty good and loved game.

alltogether, if he is like that in real life it is obvious that he is pretty chaotic and in a bad way.

Edited by Ai-ds_low
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ai-ds_low said:

to be honest I don't know what EA or someone else has against him, All I just read everywhere is just that. that there is a problem and they cut his name form the title of the second game so ppl wouldn't know its his alice game when seeing it somewhere.

all I can say is, I recently watched a livestream with him, and he wasn't able to say 2 connected sentences with some kind of sense and switched topics pretty often, pple were diappointed in the comments. meanwhile he was playing his own alice madness returns game and totally sucked at it and the stream was pretty cringeworthy.

In one stream he talked about his plans to create alice part 3 and wanted to apply with his idea for cooperation with a publisher and had hope EA would do the trick, but since he started his patreon now I think no one wanted him notwithstanding that alice madness was a pretty good and loved game.

alltogether, if he is like that in real life it is obvious that he is pretty chaotic and in a bad way.

:blink::facepalm:

that is crazy... video game industry is so full of drama jesus christ..

thanks for the heads up :)

Edited by BG_painter

American McGee's been through a lot in his life, and he put plenty of that into Madness Returns, so with the circumstances EA's held against him regarding it (rushed deadlines on his team, leading to incomplete product, which hurt reviews and sales, which they used as an excuse not to fund a successor), I'm not all surprised that he has a hard time keeping focus while trying to play and talk about it at the same time. Some people just aren't very good at splitting their attention in such a way, not to forget the mountain of emotional baggage literally staring him in the face.

That said, for American to pursue the rights to his franchise as long as he has in spite of EA's trashiness, it must mean a lot to him. It means a lot to me too, to see how he refuses to let himself or his creative property be crushed. The man has also displayed a knack at assembling creative teams for Alice. Even among the vast sea of pessimism that plagues my mind, I feel that Asylum is in good hands, and while potentially inflated expectations weigh against us (2021 release would mean a decade of them), I eagerly anticipate the final product.

Not too eagerly, mind you, just a bit more optimistic than the dreadful uncertainty we'd been facing before this.

• Like 4

On 04/02/2019 at 10:36 AM, GR1Mshadow said:

American McGee's been through a lot in his life, and he put plenty of that into Madness Returns, so with the circumstances EA's held against him regarding it (rushed deadlines on his team, leading to incomplete product, which hurt reviews and sales, which they used as an excuse not to fund a successor), I'm not all surprised that he has a hard time keeping focus while trying to play and talk about it at the same time. Some people just aren't very good at splitting their attention in such a way, not to forget the mountain of emotional baggage literally staring him in the face.

That said, for American to pursue the rights to his franchise as long as he has in spite of EA's trashiness, it must mean a lot to him. It means a lot to me too, to see how he refuses to let himself or his creative property be crushed. The man has also displayed a knack at assembling creative teams for Alice. Even among the vast sea of pessimism that plagues my mind, I feel that Asylum is in good hands, and while potentially inflated expectations weigh against us (2021 release would mean a decade of them), I eagerly anticipate the final product.

Not too eagerly, mind you, just a bit more optimistic than the dreadful uncertainty we'd been facing before this.

yeah.. i googled his life after all the posts and the thing with his sister is sad :(
I really like the game, so good luck for him!

• Like 2

From wikipedia:

When McGee was sixteen, he came home from school to find his house empty and abandoned; the only things left were his bed, his books, his clothes and his Commodore 64 computer. His mother had sold the house to pay for two plane tickets and the fee for her girlfriend's sex reassignment surgery, leaving him on his own.

What. the. fuck.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Alice: Madness Returns for what it was. I'd definitely be interested in playing a sequel, although it's a bit too early for me to support it right now. Thanks for sharing though, I'll keep an eye on it.

3 hours ago, SinisterPledge said:

From wikipedia:

When McGee was sixteen, he came home from school to find his house empty and abandoned; the only things left were his bed, his books, his clothes and his Commodore 64 computer. His mother had sold the house to pay for two plane tickets and the fee for her girlfriend's sex reassignment surgery, leaving him on his own.

What. the. fuck.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Alice: Madness Returns for what it was. I'd definitely be interested in playing a sequel, although it's a bit too early for me to support it right now. Thanks for sharing though, I'll keep an eye on it.

:( ..........

On 1/31/2019 at 0:28 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I have backed a few things on Kickstarter and while Yooka Laylee was completed the other was not. I didn't mind backing Yooka Laylee because the amount I paid was far less than what it would have cost me to buy it from the store but in the case of the other I was suckered in by a great campaign and the guy now writes sob stories about how he can't afford to build the game he promised (at least I was only out 10$ but it still pisses me off).

I will never back anything again because honestly that is what investors are for. Investors get a return on their investments but things like this are just normal people giving money to get a game that will make someone else profits. This isn't a charity...actually it would be better to give your money to charity because at least then people who need it would be getting paid and you would get a tax write off.

So yeah, can we please stop supporting rich people (or clueless people's) projects. 

I am surprised it has taken some of us this long to finally realize what some projects on Kickstarter come down to.

This is no different than Smosh asking us over $250,000 for a mobile video game. The Angry Video Game Nerd if I recall correctly asked people for money so he could continue with his movie.

If I was in a position on YouTube where I made thousands upon thousands of money from AdSense, I would never ask my fans to donate me money because I wanted to pursue a project that may or may not be within my financial range.

There are good causes out there, but when assholes like the one you mentioned turn to sob stories I can't feel sorry for those who donated the money.

These rich assholes don't need our money.

On 2/8/2019 at 0:19 AM, Spaz said:

I am surprised it has taken some of us this long to finally realize what some projects on Kickstarter come down to.

This is no different than Smosh asking us over $250,000 for a mobile video game. The Angry Video Game Nerd if I recall correctly asked people for money so he could continue with his movie.

If I was in a position on YouTube where I made thousands upon thousands of money from AdSense, I would never ask my fans to donate me money because I wanted to pursue a project that may or may not be within my financial range.

There are good causes out there, but when assholes like the one you mentioned turn to sob stories I can't feel sorry for those who donated the money.

And it isn't even rich assholes...just people with dreams of delusion. 

People with 0 experience ask for the moon sometimes and have nothing to back up their work. Back in the day you made your bones by working hard and gaining experience. Instead of directing the next major blockbuster as your first movie...work as an editor, grip, lighting tech on different projects. Gain experience and then go for the gold...by making a small low budget film that you fun yourself.

My favourite thing is "I have this idea and I need a million dollars to do it...then I will hire everyone I need to make my dream come true because I only have a vague idea but I know it is worth millions of dollars"

For fun check out Kickstarter Nonstarters a video series by Retsupurae it is quite awesome. Here is one of my favourite videos of 2 Australian guys who want 18,000 to build and then land a robot on the moon...also my description actually makes their project sound smarter than it really is :P

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Surely if you're paying a monthly fee, then it gives the producer an incentive to delay the release. 2021 is already 2-3 years of commitment to a monthly fee.

I like Patreon and use it to give a few dollars back each month to people who release regular content that I enjoy like Colin Moriarty and Jim Sterling but it is not an appropriate platform to fund a game at all.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:04 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

And it isn't even rich assholes...just people with dreams of delusion. 

People with 0 experience ask for the moon sometimes and have nothing to back up their work. Back in the day you made your bones by working hard and gaining experience. Instead of directing the next major blockbuster as your first movie...work as an editor, grip, lighting tech on different projects. Gain experience and then go for the gold...by making a small low budget film that you fun yourself.

I was a huge fan of The Angry Video Game Nerd for years. I just don't understand why people in positions like him ask those like us to donate them money in the first place, with nothing to back up their work or show anything to prove that they are working on their project.

And it's not just the bigger guys on YouTube or any other social media website. There are plenty of guys who are probably no more well known than you and I who find they can sucker people in with Patreon and GoFundMe.

Four or five years ago there was a story of a three year old girl who got mauled and KFC refused to take her in because they felt she looked too ugly. Turns out the entire story was fake and the people who set up the story to try to get people to donate to them got away with the money.

Now of course, this is quite different from a good number of people out there who are trying to get their project or idea funded online. But there's a lot of them out there who just want your money. Just because somebody is saying they're funding a project worthwhile, doesn't mean they're actually going through with it.

On 2/8/2019 at 0:19 AM, Spaz said:

Took me a couple times, but learned my lesson. I don’t use Kickstarter anymore.

On 2/2/2019 at 0:57 AM, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Why does this make him an idiot? Socially awkward maybe but not idiotic. I would understand this sentiment if he had done something awful during development or he would just be terrible to work with but all you do is commenting on his social behavior.

As for the topic, I don't think that patroen is a good platform to fund a game or any long term project. I myself supported a project called "Universe Today" there for many years. Which is basically a blog about astronomy. But there are many small projects that thrive from small amounts of money on a subscription basis rather then a one time infusion of money. I have to wonder why he chose this platform to fund his new game. In any case I wish him and his team the best of luck for his project, god knows we need creative people who can give us games that are different from all these so called triple A titles.

It's the other way around. Patreon makes much more sense for a guy in his position than KS. Support ppl like him instead of buying AAA and wasting money on MTX and bs.

Plus he's no idiot, on the contrary. Spend some time and read some of his stuff, he's a great mind. Don't judge him on grounds of a half-assed live stream.

• Like 1