How to delete your own posts?

18 hours ago, RJP_X said:

i don't think there is one, at least from what i can tell. a few posts in the past i have just editted and typed -deleted-. not sure why there isn't a delete topic/post option.

It's definitely one major feature they should be implementing already, thanks for the answer.

Edited by alicexshy
  • Like 2

If this is considered, then wouldn’t that mean all posts quoting/replying to that post (and posts quoting those replies) would also be deleted?

2 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

If this is considered, then wouldn’t that mean all posts quoting/replying to that post (and posts quoting those replies) would also be deleted?

On the contrary. If a post is deleted but had already been quoted before you'll always be able to read what the deleted post contained.

Edit: got you wrong. Pls ignore.

Edited by fastflowdaman

2 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

Considering quoting a post now shows no later done editing in that original post i say if they implement a delete option (pls!) it'd be the same

Report your own posts and wait. They'll probably never implement this option, most forum admins around the world use excuses like that it would compromise the forum database and things like that, same with deleting accounts. But you could simply implement a "soft-delete" option for everyone anyway, not just mods.

10 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

If you kindly ask that they'll also delete others' posts. Like you're arguing with someone and don't want to have anything to do with that discussion anymore.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

Transparency is important on a forum though, could be why there is no delete feature.

I'd like to agree with you, but I have seen people before go through all their replies on a thread and edit it to just a - or something along those lines. Might as well make a delete feature and then give you a warning point, so people don't mass delete their old posts to keep upvoted comments. I don't know just throwing ideas around.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

I'd like to agree with you, but I have seen people before go through all their replies on a thread and edit it to just a - or something along those lines. Might as well make a delete feature and then give you a warning point, so people don't mass delete their old posts to keep upvoted comments. I don't know just throwing ideas around.

Sometimes people do that, yeah - but if someone else has quoted their post, before they edited it, and that has sparked a long continuation of the conversation, it can still be useful to be able to see where in the thread their original post sat, even if all that's left of it is a '-' or a "deleted" 

I dunno if its necessary to be able to delete your own posts whenever you feel like it, but it would be nice if you could delete it within, say, the next 2 minutes after posting. If you didn't know, pressing Ctrl + Enter while in the editor wil send your post... A shortcut needed in other editors for line-breaking and that I sometimes accidentally press here as well before fin...

Edit: Happened again :P 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Just now, DaivRules said:

The only forums I was a part of before coming here was Slashdot, where there was no editing or deleting. You had to be committed to what you wanted to put on the web there. 

I think a lot of us should definitely be committed. ?

• Like 3

Gotta own your posts. We've all written things we regret, but not being able to delete things keeps us honest. If it's a case of incorrect information then whatever just edit the post and say "oopsies" 

Edit lol: that being said if you immediately regret it then just edit it all down to say "Redacted" or something and hope nobody saw it

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha

Hmmm. I'm surprised there's any resistance at all to the idea of being able to delete your own posts! Every forum I've ever used, you can delete your own posts.

Actually, that's a lie! I've just tried on Playstationtrophies and I can't delete my own posts on that site either! 

I've never posted anything awful, just sometimes you post something and then wish you hadn't!! If it's had no replies, I can't see why you can't delete your own post! 

Anyway, judging from the replies, there's no appetite to add that feature to this website so I suppose it'll stay as it is. 

53 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The only forums I was a part of before coming here was Slashdot, where there was no editing or deleting. You had to be committed to what you wanted to put on the web there. 

I don't think it's a case of commitment or 'owning' your posts. It seems a bit 'overthinking' to make this into a personal responsibility issue!  it just makes sense to me that if you post something and then want to delete it, you should be able to, it's your post after all!

It's clear that there isn't really an appetite for that feature on this site though so it will stay as it is. No problem!! 

Edited by JoesusHCrust
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sometimes people do that, yeah - but if someone else has quoted their post, before they edited it, and that has sparked a long continuation of the conversation, it can still be useful to be able to see where in the thread their original post sat, even if all that's left of it is a '-' or a "deleted" 

Yeah that's a good point. I do hate the idea of deleting posts and editing if you can't see the original (I edit myself a lot cause I have a habit of not proof reading). Just saying if there is a straight up delete function, I don't want to see it abused like I see the edit function being abused sometimes.

Or at the very least, see others do what I do. Where I use the strikethrough option to "delete" a comment that I got wrong or that I changed my mind about.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I don't think it's a case of commitment or 'owning' your posts, it just makes sense to me that if you post something and then want to delete it, you should be able to, it's your post after all! It's clear that there isn't really an appetite for that feature on this site though so it will stay as it is. No problem!! 

Slashdot made it clear when you signed up that you can't edit or remove your posts and it is intended that way so that people would own up to whatever they posted. It is very much intentional there.

If you look at the bottom of every forum page, it says "Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc." That's the software that the forums use. If they have a delete feature in the forum software, then making the case to Sly to implement it becomes a little easier. If it's not possible in their software, then that's where the limitation lies.

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

If you look at the bottom of every forum page, it says "Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc." That's the software that the forums use. If they have a delete feature in the forum software, then making the case to Sly to implement it becomes a little easier. If it's not possible in their software, then that's where the limitation lies.

I wonder could it possible to expand on the edit feature in that, you post your comment, realize you've made a mistake be it a mispell or being an arsehole, said person edits the comment to their liking but where it says "Edited x hours ago by xxxxx" you could click on it and then see the previous comment before the edit. I can't recall but I've seen it implemented elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Null_Spectre said:

I wonder could it possible to expand on the edit feature in that, you post your comment, realize you've made a mistake be it a mispell or being an arsehole, said person edits the comment to their liking but where it says "Edited x hours ago by xxxxx" you could click on it and then see the previous comment before the edit. I can't recall but I've seen it implemented elsewhere.

Yeah i've seen it too but it was vBulletin and a couple of years ago.