Unnecessarily big world

JagKenobi

Currently lvl32 2/3rds of the way through Sequence 5. I started out playing this game the same way I played Origins. Since you had to do EVERYTHING on the map, I completed regions as I touched them. But Odyssey, I’m finding, is just way way too big for that. I had to tell myself to focus on story quests b/c I was drowning in level-appropriate sub-regions. I get that with the level scaling, you’re free to go pretty much wherever to experience those parts of the map, but anyone else out there (esp those who’ve earned the Platinum) feel even just a little sad that the world might be too big to fully explore? 

(And yes, I’m aware there’s a trophy to touch all sub-regions. By “explore,” I mean “investigating ?s”.)

Yeah, I've still got a lot of ?s left on the map.  I am very glad clearing them wasn't a requirement this time round.

Given the really long tail on the DLC it seems they are hoping to keep people on this game for a very long time, hence the overlarge world.  Each time a new bit of DLC appears I get a few more ?s done.  I guess it means everyone can end up with a slightly difference experience along the way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

Nope...I'm an advocate for "bigger the better". It took me 145 Hours to Plat the game as I did every "?" on the map and loved it. It's how the game was meant to be played. Go even bigger, and give us more, I say. 

I agree, it is a huge game but I loved every minute (120 hrs and counting). The visuals are spectacular and it captures the look and feel of Greece perfectly

• Like 3

This was #041 Platinum as I finished Xenia's questline & got the Plat early this morning.

Funny thing is... I have a shiiiitload of unexplored ?'s.

I still need to do these "Lost Tales" ? Questlines:

(1) A Brother's Seduction

(2) Divine Intervention

(3) Daughters of Lalalai 

(4) A Poet's Legacy

Last night I finished the Story (got the good ending ? with *ALL* family as my Ship Lieutenants) then did 1 unexplored underwater location for the "Child of Poseidon" ?, Sparring with Roxanne quest gave me the "Island Hopper" ? & I explored a tiny-ass island south of Naxos to get the "Hermie's Homie" ? then went to Pirate Islands & did the Xenia Questline (?)  & after I got the "Epic Cycle" Platinum ?. 

I am currently begging around for the season pass. I definately want to continue my Odyssey.

FYI: I tested it & you do *NOT* need every synchronization point for the "Hermie's Homie" ?.  Just need to unfog terrain & step in any area that has zero terrain.

Edited by dokkanexpert
Spellcheck

Well, apparently this is a selling point to modern days sandbox game. Yeah, sure, they can put a question mark there to pretend to have some game elements set up. But in reality, is that bandit camp any different than the others?

I certainly understand that many people view exploring as some sort of gameplay. That's probably why No Man's Sky still sells. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, I'd rather have too much with the choice of exploring everything rather than not enough and feel that the game wasn't worth the price tag. My strategy has been after I got the plat, I will do dailies and as I do dailies, I venture off to "?" and complete as many as i feel like for the day. For me, that's where the continued value of playing is, in between DLC's and free content. I can't put this game down, it's my go to these days so I appreciate that they went above and beyond with activities.

I will also add I'm not big on buying season passes unless I really like the game and having a game that includes so much in the initial packaging makes me want to support it versus a game that launches with half the content and they lock the other half behind a paid season pass.

Edited by Altergigo
  • Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 0:13 PM, KenobiEagle said:

Currently lvl32 2/3rds of the way through Sequence 5. I started out playing this game the same way I played Origins. Since you had to do EVERYTHING on the map, I completed regions as I touched them. But Odyssey, I’m finding, is just way way too big for that. I had to tell myself to focus on story quests b/c I was drowning in level-appropriate sub-regions. I get that with the level scaling, you’re free to go pretty much wherever to experience those parts of the map, but anyone else out there (esp those who’ve earned the Platinum) feel even just a little sad that the world might be too big to fully explore? 

(And yes, I’m aware there’s a trophy to touch all sub-regions. By “explore,” I mean “investigating ?s”.)

I fully explored the world, cleared every location and completed every side quest. I didn’t find it to be too big - I just worked through it methodically. Took me 95hours so only around 15hours more than origins

• Like 1

I was the opposite in that sense, I really enjoyed the vastness of it and how you could stumble into little events and places, and climb up to big open vistas to look out over the horizon.

One thing I will say though is I'll never turn my nose up at a game which contains 100+ hours of explorable content, games ain't cheap and I think Odyssey is worth every penny of it's full price. Can't wait to jump back into the DLC seasons once they are all out.

But then I also think there is something to be said with smaller world environments if they contain a good amount of content - e.g Yakuza games are reknowned for having relatively small maps but are packed with activities. So I suppose it depends on the game.

I agree with you in principal, a huge map with a seemingly never ending amount of checkpoints is usually off putting, however Odyssey gets away with it more then previous entries in the series because it is filled with great and varied content. I'm right about where you are in the game and I'm nearly always having a good time with whatever it is I'm doing in game so it has yet to feel like a chore.

It does seem a bit bloated to look at initially, but I've played a few games in my time feeling that way at first but then really enjoyed them. I'll get around to this eventually.

Edited by LepreCon91

1 hour ago, LepreCon91 said:

It does seem a bit bloated to look at initially, but I've played a few games in my time feeling that way at first but then really enjoyed them. I'll get around to this eventually.

Witcher 3 is perfect example. I enjoyed the hell out of it, however Odyssey has the advantage of fast travel from anywhere on the map versus having to travel to a sign in order to fast travel...

• Like 1

The bigger the better for me, so long as it's filled with content/stuff to see which Odyssey definitely has in abundance. So far I've walked (and I mean, pushing the left stick forward slightly) across every region I've come across so far, clearing every single "?" as I go, I want to see EVERYTHING. Which is why I'm 110 hours in and still haven't finished episode seven :lol:  

Loving it. 

oh i agree it's big for the sake of being big. there's barely anything meaningful here seeing as they didn't even hide the fact most places are copy pastes of others.

i would have preferred it to have just been the main regions the storyline takes you too as that was enough for an AC game but a good chunk of these places exist for padding with no real purpose behind them.

• Like 1