Best unknown Indie games! Or obscure games!

SuchRemorse

I could name a few, some well known like Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, GuacameleeStreets of Rage 4 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but here are some I think not many people played them:

Yoku's Island Express

Sexy Brutale

Songbird Symphony

Valfaris

Two Point Hospital

Stikbold! A Dodgeball Game

Owlboy

The Messenger

Dust: an Elysium Tale

Moving Out

The Messenger (Ninja Gaiden-like 2D action-platformer) 
Blazing Chrome (Contra-like 2D run 'n' gun) 
Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption (Souls-like boss battler action-RPG) 
Hyper Light Drifter (Zelda-style action adventure RPG) 
Flinthook (Fast action-platformer with “roguelike” elements) 
Jotun: Valhalla Edition (Action-exploration game set in Norse mythology) 

NeuroVoider (“Roguelike” twin-stick shooter) 
Seraph (2D skill-based, acrobatic shooter) 
Axiom Verge (Metroidvania) 
Nex Machina (Arcade style twin-stick shooter) 

Cryptark (“Roguelike” 2D sci-fi shooter) 

Edited by Cyberdyne-7
  • Like 2

Headlander - is an especially good little gem and pleasantly satisfying...

Child of Light - Another great little game (maybe not as much of an unkown, but still deserves more recognition)

Roundguard -  kind of like a Rogue-like Dungeon Crawler meets Peggle

Edited by sword_of_omens

16 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Also I just picked up Slain: Back to Hell recently. I haven’t got a chance to play it yet so I can’t add it to that list, but it looks really awesome and unique so I thought I’d mention it anyways in case you wanted to check it out.

Slain is AWESOME!!!! It's a great game and has some killer metal tracks. If you like that game you should check out. Valfaris!!! That game is great too.. It's made by the same team that made Slain. Think of it as Sci-Fi Slain except crash landing on another planet!!!!! Amazing!! You should check it out! 

Already mentioned was Dont Starve (plus Dont Starve Together) and Two Point Hospital (theme hospital spiritual successor)

The Flame in the Flood (survival type)

SolSeraph (Act Raiser spiritual successor)

Townsmen: A Kingdom Rebuilt (Settlers style game)

Armello (strategy type game)

Banner Saga, The Swapper, and the Fall are also pretty decent indies

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Banner Saga, The Swapper, and the Fall are also pretty decent indies

Swapper is good! I thought that was an interesting mechanic with the "swap" ability.

Banner Saga on the other hand ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I people seem to like it. I played it for a little bit. Wasn't really my cup of tea. 

Black the Fall was awesome! I really enjoyed that one.

Edited by SuchRemorse

On 5/26/2020 at 10:16 PM, Neocarleen said:

Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth: A point-and-click adventure game. Unique in that it’s also historical fiction, set in 12th century England where a small struggling town begins construction on a cathedral. May be dreadfully boring to some but I found the backdrop and story beautiful.

I haven’t played any point-and-click style games yet, but I’ve seen this one on sale before and I intend to pick it up eventually.

I really love historical fiction, and I’m particularly interested in this game because I watched the TV series on Netflix a couple years back and found it to be very enjoyable. I don’t know if the game has any similarities to the show or whether it’s set in a different place with different characters, but I’d sure like to find out! 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, SuchRemorse said:

Slain is AWESOME!!!! It's a great game and has some killer metal tracks. If you like that game you should check out. Valfaris!!! That game is great too.. It's made by the same team that made Slain. Think of it as Sci-Fi Slain except crash landing on another planet!!!!! Amazing!! You should check it out! 

I’m thrilled to hear such a glowing review for this game! ?

It seems most people who have played it also had great things to say. I’m normally not really a huge metal guy either, but the whole head-banging-guitarist-slaying-monsters thing, and the adrenaline filled metal soundtrack just looks and sounds so fuckin bad ass! It’s a huge part of the reason I picked it out from the pack when I was looking through the sales.

I will definitely check out Valfaris too! I hadn’t heard of it but it sounds equally cool. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 0:38 PM, Sanetsuken said:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun Is basically Commandos but in weeb times. You control up to 5 different characters in a real-time, top-down view with a set task. The schtick is that every character has their own specializations. Also there's a high emphasis on stealth as your characters simply won't do anything without your input. So you can't just send off a character to fight multiple enemies.

It is the console port that you can't do this. If you look at the game video from PC, you have this ability. At least you can move independently on PC

Is it an indie game? i don't think it is strictly qualified. They do have a new desperado title coming up, which I am looking forward to.

Edited by Maverick6146

I haven't seen anybody else say it, so I'll throw out Flipping Death. It's a 2D sort of puzzle platformer where you have to fill in for the Grim Reaper while he's on vacation. You have to possess people and transfer between the living and dead worlds. Really dumb sense of humor in it that works for me. Kind of a pseudo-sequel to Stick it to the Man. It has NA and EU trophy stacks with a really quick and easy platinum if that's what you're looking for.

Edited by communistwookiee
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Banana_Sausage47 said:

Headlander is a very underrated game in my opinion.

Love that profile pic/gif bro. WHY AM I TOXIC?

-- RECOMMENDATION --

I don't think I saw anyone bring up Virginia!! Its a game that is very psychological and is a "walking sim". The art style is unique. No one talks in the game. The music is phenomenal, like a movie score. Virginia is always on sale for like 2 bucks and has an EASY 100%!!! :awesome:

Edited by SantaMonicaZero
Made my post look nicer!
  • Like 1

Most of what I was going suggest has already been mentioned, but I can highly recommend "Defunct": an adventure/racing hybrid starring a cute robot, based around skillfully maintaining momentum to move at Sonic the Hedgehog speed. Finishing the story is easy enough, but the real focus of the game is the surprisingly challenging time trial mode. A pretty tough platinum!

It's frequently on sale, too⁠—I got it for less than a dollar.

I really had a good time playing Phantom Doctrine. Gameplay is very close to XCOM's (albeit a little bit easier), with some new mechanics like the breach one, that might in turn have inspired its use in Chimera Squad. The whole action/espionage set in the early 80's did the job for me, I found it quite original.

Everyone is sleeping on Superbeat: Xonic, which I think is the 2nd best rhythm game on PlayStation 4 after DJMax Respect.

The trailer is for PSVita, but it's also out on PS4 and it has extra songs. It's a really fun rhythm game, great soundtrack, can't recommend it enough!

• Like 1

One of the games that I really enjoyed that seems to be well under the radar. At least no one I talk to has ever played it. Would be Stardew Valley. I don't know if I just came across it at the right time in my life but it was a simple yet extremely fun game. It kind of reminded me of Animal Crossings but way better. In terms of Platinum, it is a nightmare because there is one trophy that requires you to play an in game video game that is laggy and glitchy. So beating it without dying is almost impossible. However, besides that, its a real fun game. I would definitely go back to it and play some more if I didn't have such a back log right now.

Some great suggestions in here. I’d give another plug for Headlander and Stick it to the Man. I still have to play Flipping Death.

In terms of a few other suggestions. I really enjoyed forma.8 A shorter metroidvania style game. Too bad the Limited Run Vita release never got the stacking trophy list added. Song of the Deep was also a little hidden gem that I really enjoyed.

While maybe not as obscure, the older Tales of a Blob releases from Drinkbox studios (who also make Guacamelee & Severed) are great, and I’d also plug the FuturLabs games (Velocity and Velocity 2x)

2 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

I really had a good time playing Phantom Doctrine. Gameplay is very close to XCOM's (albeit a little bit easier), with some new mechanics like the breach one, that might in turn have inspired its use in Chimera Squad. The whole action/espionage set in the early 80's did the job for me, I found it quite original.

I've been waiting for phantom doctrine to hit a sale for like 2 years now, it has been on sale once at least on the eu side i think.

Some underrated games: Dandara, Epic Dumpster Bear, the flame in the flood, slime-san, ruiner, shadow of the beast, chasm and mummy demastered (killer soundtrack, pretty decent game). Those are just some examples.

38 minutes ago, Vern3r0z said:

I've been waiting for phantom doctrine to hit a sale for like 2 years now, it has been on sale once at least on the eu side i think. [...]

Yeah, around half price in March last year, in EU, glad I didn't miss it. Had an even better bargain with PS+ in the US the month after, though, but nothing since.