Is this game actually worth it??

spaceofjade

So I want to start this off by saying I have been a MASSIVE kingdom hearts fan for about 13/14 years. I haven’t until recently played Birth by sleep (because of the multiple consoles I can’t afford to own) I’ve looked at the trophy list for this and yeah it doesn’t look too bad.

I’ve heard people saying it’s too easy, the gummi missions are just as ridiculous as they’ve always been, the cutscenes are painfully long (even for a kingdom hearts game) and there’s an overfocus on frozen. Also, is there really no square enix characters in this game?!

Considering I really don’t have the money to splurge on this (or 2.8 which I still want to play also!) Is this game ACTUALLY worth getting? I would wait for it to decrease in price but from experience Kingdom Hearts games don’t price drop much!

I know most of you will obviously say yes (because you’ve been playing it) but is it actually worth having waited 6 years or so?? Interested to hear others thoughts 

Overall, it is the easiest KH game, but there are ways of playing where you can make it harder if you really like the challenge.  Just because it's easier doesn't make it a bad KH game though.  I feel like the gummi ship missions have been massively improved for this entry and had a lot of fun doing them, definitely no where near as bad as KH1 and KH2

I'd say at the start of the game the cutscenes are fairly long, but that's not really any different to previous games - KH2 had such a long intro with the Twilight Town parts - the pace does pick up as you go along.  Not sure where the comment about the overfocus on Frozen has come from, I actually really dislike the movie but the world ended up being fun and I definitely didn't feel that there was an overfocus on that world - or any world really.

There are no Final Fantasy characters in the game (unless you count Moogles) but honestly, I felt like the game held up fine without them.

• Like 2

I wouldn't really recommend playing this until you've played 2.8 tbh. But if you're caught up on the series then yeah I'd say it's worth it. After investing so many hours into the previous games, you'd want to see the conclusion you've been building towards the entire time, right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jadethealmighty said:

I’ve heard people saying it’s too easy, the gummi missions are just as ridiculous as they’ve always been, the cutscenes are painfully long (even for a kingdom hearts game) and there’s an overfocus on frozen. Also, is there really no square enix characters in this game?!

If you're playing with a guide it's extremely easy, and you can play on Proud if you want a challenge from a combat perspective. However, the collectibles are more cleverly hidden than any other game by far. The gummi ship missions are fun and the flight/combat more in depth than before, but overall a bit easier than 1 and 2 and less taxing trophy-wise. Whoever said there's an over focus on Frozen got high and stared at the screen for a few hours too long seeing shit on screen that wasn't happening. I didn't notice being in that world any longer than the others tbh. Until you mentioned there were no square enix characters? I didn't even notice they were missing. That's pretty much because this game focuses more on Kingdom Hearts than the allure of mixing Disney/Square together. (that's my opinion at least.) 

18 minutes ago, jadethealmighty said:

Considering I really don’t have the money to splurge on this (or 2.8 which I still want to play also!) Is this game ACTUALLY worth getting? I would wait for it to decrease in price but from experience Kingdom Hearts games don’t price drop much!

I know most of you will obviously say yes (because you’ve been playing it) but is it actually worth having waited 6 years or so?? Interested to hear others thoughts 

It is most definitely worth getting if you're calling yourself a massive fan. From a graphical standpoint it's in the top 3 best games I've played probably first because of how it mixes in realistic with the cartoonish animation from previous games. Gameplay is incredibly smooth and while the cutscenes are longer than usual, and there's more of them, they take nothing away from the game itself. Can't say one way or another for the worlds since that's up to the player, but I liked some and I didn't like some.

I agree with @madbuk though that you should play 2.8 first so you can understand everything this game mixes in. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DesmaBR said:

If you have concerns about it being too easy, maybe wait until they patch the Critical difficulty (If they ever do that)

And I'd really recommend playing 2.8 beforehand

9 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I agree with @madbuk though that you should play 2.8 first so you can understand everything this game mixes in. 

It's literally just the cost of 2.8 that's really putting me off. I've always felt like the remasters are a bit of a joke price wise but my friend who played dream drop distance on DS (again, I never owned a 3DS so missed out on this completely) said the whole thing was a bit jarring and difficult to do and the birth by sleep fragmentary passage makes it sound like it will be really short. It's just not something I can justify spending like £40 right now however much I'd love to!

32 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Overall, it is the easiest KH game, but there are ways of playing where you can make it harder if you really like the challenge.  Just because it's easier doesn't make it a bad KH game though.  I feel like the gummi ship missions have been massively improved for this entry and had a lot of fun doing them, definitely no where near as bad as KH1 and KH2

I'd say at the start of the game the cutscenes are fairly long, but that's not really any different to previous games - KH2 had such a long intro with the Twilight Town parts - the pace does pick up as you go along.  Not sure where the comment about the overfocus on Frozen has come from, I actually really dislike the movie but the world ended up being fun and I definitely didn't feel that there was an overfocus on that world - or any world really.

There are no Final Fantasy characters in the game (unless you count Moogles) but honestly, I felt like the game held up fine without them.

This is really helpful. I'm trying to avoid videos on it because I'm still not sure if I'll pick it up, so from what other people have told me I've heard bad things about the gummi ship! I loved the twilight town into the first time but playing through for like the 15th time it's really tiresome. 

I was mostly excited about the Tangled world, and a few people who've played it have told me that everything feels a little overshadowed by Frozen, like the whole world had more time put into it. I can see why considering that they announced the game/frozen world when frozen was at it's hype but it's a bit off putting for me. Kind of feels like they're selling out to get more people to play because of Frozen haha

1 minute ago, Serendias said:

The game to me was a very enjoyable experience. I even had fun getting platinum on it. I paid $60 and got 55 hours worth of gameplay from it. Thats worth it, since its not often that i feel like i got my money's worth from a game these days.

That's really helpful, thank you! I haven't bought too many recently released games. The only one I've played recently is RDR2 (which I'm currently working through) and that is worth the money to me (although I didn't buy it haha) and with the prices of games now it's really important that games are actually worth the money you pay. Maybe I'll eventually get 2.8 and THEN 3. Yikes that'll be a good £100 

I think the only reason you're seeing people say Frozen overshadows the others is that of the music pieces. I mean, they put the entire Let it Go scene on it, and a little of Do You Wanna Buld a Snowman.

Otherwise, I found every world to be interesting in it's own way

2 minutes ago, jadethealmighty said:

It's literally just the cost of 2.8 that's really putting me off. I've always felt like the remasters are a bit of a joke price wise but my friend who played dream drop distance on DS (again, I never owned a 3DS so missed out on this completely) said the whole thing was a bit jarring and difficult to do and the birth by sleep fragmentary passage makes it sound like it will be really short. It's just not something I can justify spending like £40 right now however much I'd love to!

Don't know why 2.8 is so expensive where you are. At the moment here it's $20 new or $25 pre-owned.

Fragmentary wasn't meant to be a full game but more of a in-between appetizer for people that waited so long. :P it also showcased how smooth KH3 would be and KH3 was even smoother. DDD isn't difficult at all and it's still the shortest. 

I don't think the remasters are joke price-wise because of what you get. Especially if you buy pre-owned. (actually pretty much every remaster I've ever bought was worth the price imo.)

Again...about Frozen...I just simply don't see it. If anything it was the easiest world for them to design probably and there's only one part that may have annoyed people to the point of complaining to ruin someone else's experience.

I mean, every KH game has been easy. There are only a couple of fights throughout the series that were really difficult. So, I don't really understand that criticism. 

Gummi Ship has always been "bad". Don't know why it still being "bad" would make much of a difference either way. 

The story is very disappointing. And the game feels unnecessarily long. Worlds just have a lot of space and not a lot in them. 

Honestly though, the gameplay itself is incredibly fun and makes it worth playing alone. Just don't get your hopes up about the story.

1 hour ago, Mesopithecus said:

I'd pretty much agree with this word for word.

I don't really understand the "easy" complaint though. It's not exactly like KH2 was hard before Crit lvl 1 was added (which this game does have the level 1 difficulty, giving it more difficulty than vanilla KH2 ever had).

As for the over focus on Frozen, I've never even heard that complaint. If there's any world that had an over focus I'd say it was Pirates and that's fine cause that world is amazing.

All in all, I think it was worth every cent. The whole "here's all the Disney stuff, now here's all the Kingdom Hearts stuff" was a bit of an odd pacing choice to me, but that was more me foaming at the mouth waiting for the Kingdom Hearts stuff lol

• Like 3

I don't get the complaints about Frozen being overly focused on. In fact, it's on e of the least interesting words because:

Spoiler

Your ally character is the giant snow monster and you fight alongside him for only about five minutes, the entire world is just a cycle of Go up mountain ---> Get knocked down the mountain --> go up the mountain again, you don't even meet Hans and it doesn't even show his face nor do you see any real resolution (the characters bidding each other farewell) after beating the boss

2 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

i got quite a chuckle out of the cactuar you built in the toy story world

• Like 4

I'm a little under halfway through the story right now, and I'm enjoying it so far.

It doesn't seem to have the magic the first game had, though of course that can be attributed to my age at the time I played both.

I'm enjoying the variety found in worlds thus far, and the combat is excellent. To my credit I haven't skipped a cutscene yet, though I do find myself putting the controller down and picking up my phone while one of the silver-haired goons prattles on about hearts and darkness and every other thing I don't understand because I've only played the first and second game in the series.

Suffice to say, I'm lost but enjoying myself, and that's okay with me.

• Like 2

I'm partway through the Tangled world (I skipped the "correct" next world that opens up at the same time as Tangled, because I have a 4 year-old daughter who loves Tangled), and I think the way the game interprets the stories of the Disney movies is as good if not better than it's always been. I'm 38 and I can't help smiling at the Tangled characters in the game. I haven't gotten to Frozen yet but I can't imagine they would screw that up after getting Tangled right (so far).

I haven't noticed the cutscenes being overly long, and at least they can all be paused. I always prefer gameplay to graphics, but the graphics are amazing. The gameplay is as smooth and refined as the series has ever been, so what's not to like?

I would say unless you absolutely hate the Disney movies incorporated into KH3 (and if you do, what's wrong with you?), the game is worth it. But definitely play 2.8 first.

Also, I don't understand the "too easy" complaint. Play on Proud and turn on 0 EXP. I think that should make the game pretty dang challenging. You'll never have any cure spells. Why does everything have to be difficult now?

Edited by MosesRockefeller

10 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

It doesn't seem to have the magic the first game had, though of course that can be attributed to my age at the time I played both.

Even when I replayed the game on PS3 and PS4...it still gave me the same feeling from when I first played it. Some games just have that touch and it's not even a matter of nostalgia goggles being equipped. It just had a great "start of journey and embrace your destiny" touch that can't be beaten. There are only a handful of times where the first game in a series remains my favorite. This is one of them. 

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm partway through the Tangled world (I skipped the "correct" next world that opens up at the same time as Tangled, because I have a 4 year-old daughter who loves Tangled), and I think the way the game interprets the stories of the Disney movies is as good if not better than it's always been. I'm 38 and I can't help smiling at the Tangled characters in the game. I haven't gotten to Frozen yet but I can't imagine they would screw that up after getting Tangled right (so far).

I haven't noticed the cutscenes being overly long, and at least they can all be paused. I always prefer gameplay to graphics, but the graphics are amazing. The gameplay is as smooth and refined as the series has ever been, so what's not to like?

I would say unless you absolutely hate the Disney movies incorporated into KH3 (and if you do, what's wrong with you?), the game is worth it. But definitely play 2.8 first.

Also, I don't understand the "too easy" complaint. Play on Proud and turn on 0 EXP. I think that should make the game pretty dang challenging. You'll never have any cure spells. Why does everything have to be difficult now?

Magic isn't tied to levels, so you'd still get cure/cura/curaga. I don't think you'd ever get withstand combo or second chance though, so it should still be a challenge.

• Like 1

Most of the complaints I see for 3 are from people who haven't kept up with the lore, it's honestly not that difficult to understand if people actually made an effort instead of sit there and complain about it being on multiple consoles. (Not saying you just people in general) True it was frustrating at first but there's been plenty of years since DDD that people could've spent either playing the games or watching any of the hundreds of lore videos that are out there to watch. Imo KH3 sets up for the sage of KH games pretty well.

Also if you don't know anything about the web browser/mobile game, there's a really good 1 hour part 1 video and a 10 minute part 2 video that explains it all pretty damn well

There was not an overfocus on Frozen. the world is no longer than any other, it just sucks as a world and shouldn't exist since it added nothing. Even the KH main story didn't really need it's addition. Pirates in comparison makes Frozen look like total filler.

But the game is stellar. Who cares if it's "easy"? It's fun, story is great, I had zero issue with the cutscenes. But then I love Xenosaga Episode I.

edit I love the game. It’s what I want from a mordern JRPG.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gamehelp said:

- You don't really get any real character development or story progression until you complete the last Disney world.

This is actually the only valid thing you posted about the negatives IMHO. But to each his own.

1 hour ago, Gamehelp said:

- The game is being widely considered 'easy' because of how easy it is to abuse the free abilities which all give you invincibility frames and clear out most of the enemies.. (at no mp cost or risk)

Maybe this too but that's easily fixed by playing on proud. Standard and Easy are for casual fans though SE should have made that clearer.