MGS 4 coming to PS Plus in February 2019

Nycto97

The top games for PS4 are For Honor and the full first season of Hitman.

For PS3 (the last time they'll give something for PS3 and/or PSVita) they give Divekick and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Now I've heard that the platinum for this Metal Gear game was kinda legendary and hard to get. But when I look at the % here on PSNP I see that all trophy hunters don't have troubles getting this game to platinum. 

I'll probably take my shot for this game. I've already played The Phantom pain and Ground Zeroes (both not yet completed)

What are your thoughts on this game? Hard? Fun? Long? Grindy?

Kind regards

Well, at one point you need to play the game on the hardest difficulty, and complete it with no kills, no deaths, no alerts and no special items, and in under 5 hours.

Then there's all the other emblems that require playing in different ways, like spending a certain length of time in one run in prone stance, and all other kinds of things. Sp yeah, its a long and difficult road to Platinum. I likely won't bother. I haven't earned an MGS4 trophy in years.

• Like 2

MGS4 is my favorite game in the series, but it's an 11 year old game that can be bought for $3 at Gamestop, or even less from Amazon. Pretty disappointing for the final month. Would have been nice to get something more recent. At least something in the last decade.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShadowGandalf said:

Well, at one point you need to play the game on the hardest difficulty, and complete it with no kills, no deaths, no alerts and no special items, and in under 5 hours.

Then there's all the other emblems that require playing in different ways, like spending a certain length of time in one run in prone stance, and all other kinds of things. Sp yeah, its a long and difficult road to Platinum. I likely won't bother. I haven't earned an MGS4 trophy in years.

Well damn :o I hope if I go for it there are ways to cheese it. Like when spotted or dead turn off PS3 instant maybe or something like that. Otherwise this will be a pain in the a*s :/

9 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

MGS4 is my favorite game in the series, but it's an 11 year old game that can be bought for $3 at Gamestop, or even less from Amazon. Pretty disappointing for the final month. Would have been nice to get something more recent. At least something in the last decade.

Ah yh they like giving away something that has almost no value anymore or that already everyone has. Like I think in 50% of all free ps plus games I already had the game. February the same story, I already have For Honor :o  but hey I hope they step up their game in the next months for PS4 as they drop support for the PS3 and Vita games

I laughed a little seeing it on Plus since I got the platinum just days before the announcement.

Is it hard? In my opinion, no. The grind is just too much for a game who's scoring system penalizes getting alerts, kills, deaths, etc.

You have to do a minimum of 8 playthroughs (this to unlock a song necessary for the all songs unlocked trophy) and with the exception of 3 of them you have to do a combination of alerts, kills and deaths (ex: for one you have to complete the game with +250 kills, +75 alerts and +25 continues and on another the same thing but with -25 continues). Also with the exception of the Big Boss Emblem playthrough, the other 7 can be played on any difficulty.

The Big Boss Emblem playthrough (finish the game on the hardest difficulty under 5 hours with 0 kills, 0 alerts, 0 deaths and not using a single recovery item) might seem hard at first but with how old the game is you can find video guides that help you breeze through it. I just followed one and finished the game under 3 hours with a lot of time wasted by mistakes on my part or sacrificing time for an alternative but safer path (for example, the Act 4 boss there is a method to beat it in like 5 minutes easily but I forgot to stock up on the required ammo so I had to use an alternative method that while the fight was even easier with no risk of dying it made that fight last for 30 minutes). Heck, in my opinion, the hardest part is the beginning since you can only use a knife until you regain your equipment. Basically, as long as you stock up on non-lethal ammo, you can't buy it on the highest difficulty, you'll be fine.

The game only has manual saves and they only save on checkpoints. This means that if you get spotted, kill someone or die, just go back to the main menu and reload and you'll be back to the checkpoint (whenever you change areas you trigger a checkpoint) with everything with how it was. Heck, even if you pick up an item and save if you didn't trigger a checkpoint the save you reload will go back to before you picked that item. You can also check if you killed or set off an alarm by going to the mission briefing at the main menu at any time. Just load your save file, go to Act 2 briefing, skip two or three cutscenes and the stats on your save like time played, kills, alerts, etc will scroll on the screen. So if you go through an area and reach a checkpoint but feel like you might have killed someone just save on an alternative save slot (you have infinite slots as long as you have space on the hard drive), go to mission briefing and see if the kill stat still shows zero.

To me, the hardest playthrough is the Chicken Emblem for the retarded amount of grind for it. For this playthrough you need to get +150 Alerts, +500 kills, +50 continues, use +50 recovery items and take more than 35 hours to finish the playthrough. On average I beat the game in less than 4 hours while taking my time yet for this emblem you need to play for 35 hours, the only reason I got it was by letting my PS3 run the game during the night to grind the time. You also need to do other things like hiding in a cardboard box for 1 hour or stay crouched for 2 and a half hours but it's something you can just combine with the chicken playthrough.

The game is great but like I said the grind is just too much especially for a "stealth-like" game.

Edited by TugaSonic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ShadowGandalf said:

That is bullshit. Kinda like the Resident Evil 2 ? requiring you to beat the game in under (I think) 12,000 steps.

@IBadDriverI completed Resident Evil 2 in less than 2 hours & used only 3 saves.

Why they do this in games is beyond my understanding. Games are meant to take long & explore & *have fun*.

Highly disappointed in the trophies for MGS 4.

Can someone answer me this... Can we play MGS4 on ps4? I don't have a PS3. 

Edited by dokkanexpert
Spellcheck

26 minutes ago, dokkanexpert said:

Regardless of PSNow... Aren't PS3 games backwards compatible???

I really wanna play this!!!

PS4 has no backwards compatibility with previous PS systems unfortunately , you can only play those last gen games if they are remastered for PS4 or through PS2 classics on PStore for example which is more like emulation .

• 7 months later...
On 04/02/2019 at 9:55 PM, TrophyHunterTyler said:

Regardless of PSNow... Aren't PS3 games backwards compatible???

I really wanna play this!!!

It is on PSNOW because I’m playing it right now on my ps4 trying to work out how the hell im going to get the chicken emblem when PSNow times out when left idle ??‍♂️

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 25/09/2019 at 10:14 PM, Virgo_Tee said:

It is on PSNOW because I’m playing it right now on my ps4 trying to work out how the hell im going to get the chicken emblem when PSNow times out when left idle ?1f3fd.png‍♂️

every figure out a good way around this besides having to sit next to your controller for hours? it's been the one thing keeping me off going for this. 

19 minutes ago, butt_mane said:

every figure out a good way around this besides having to sit next to your controller for hours? it's been the one thing keeping me off going for this. 

Can you leave you controller plugged in with the analog sticks rubberbanded together so Snake goes in a circle in an area where there is no danger?