Is it too late?

AfroKagerou

PS5 is rumoured to be backwards compatible with PS4 and PS3 so id say wait a bit until it's confirmed. Also majority of the great games from the PS3 era have been remastered or are available on ps now. If you have the connection to support it, it's definitely a great service.

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

It's never too late. If anything, no better time than now. I don't think we'll be getting anymore PS3 games, so you have an entire library of games that are dirt cheap right now. Once the PS5 comes out, many PS3 games will start to rise in price.

there's a massive library of games for the ps3. most are under 20$ apiece new or used. as for used consoles only advice is to avoid gamestop seems there is a higher risk of obtaining a bad one.

slim or super slim is the way to go.

Edited by kingdrake2

If you want to check out some single player games I would say go for it! Ps3 has some AWESOME games. A great game will always be a great game. It's never too late. If you want to check out Ps3 for Multiplayer games I would say skip it. Only reason is because a lot of the servers have already shut down. You won't get the full experience of these games. Or even worse! Games that are ONLINE ONLY! Unable to play them at all. You'll be stuck with a bunch of awesome brick games such as Warkhawk, Mag, SoCom etc... But it's really up to you. :) 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to see if the PS5 will support PS3 games. I highly doubt so, since Sony sits on a comfortable position in this generation, but who knows.

Would be nice to play old games without pushing a 2006 console to its limits (mine is noisy as f****) and with decreased loading times. 

If the PS5 is released without backwards compatibility, I believe that it's only a matter of time till Sony shuts down PS3 network, trophy system etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AeroNoire said:

Thanks for the feedback. I already have a PS3 just never invested in it. So I'm definitely going to use it for all the single player games I missed out on.

MGS4

Peace Walker

Vanquish

AC III

Black Ops 1/2

MW2

Dead Space 1/2/3

GTAIV

GT 5/6

UFC Undisputed 3 (best MMA game all-time)

RDR

Force Unleashed 1/2

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Hmm. Kinda lost here.

Too late for what? 

If you are into the last trend, if you look for amazing graphics, if for you new stuff is 200% more important than old, Then it is probably a little late.

Otherwise you have a console with a huge library of titles. Most of them very cheap, online is free. It is not late.

In some way it could be late when Sony decides to shut down all servers for ps3 games (if some day happens). 

• Like 2

Too late for ps plus free games perhaps but never too late for the console itself. I bought mine along with ps4 having used primarily xbox 360 last gen. But be advised that sony stopped manufacturing dualshock 3 about 2 years back. So if your gamepad is broken your only option is third party hardware. Other than that a worthy console. I would get just for collection

Not really too late, it is a question of risk reward at this point. We have to accept that there are countless ps3 games that will never be available on the ps4, not remastered and not in psnow. The question is, if you really want to play some or all of these games, do you take path 1 or path 2.

Path 1 is you buying a ps3 for cheap now, and cheap old ps3 games you can play on it. The console is not all that expensive, and the games aren't either. The advantage is that you definitely get the console and you can play your games on it. The reward is clear, the risk is the following. Ps3 consoles can break down easily due to their age and maybe the ps5 will be fully backwards compatible, in which case the investment into the console was really bad because you have the ps5 then, making the ps3 entirely useless and hard to resell. On the other hand, you bought the games before their price increased, so this is probably the most balanced approach if there are MANY games you want to buy on the ps3. The more games, the less relevant are the potentially wasted cost from the console itself.

Path 2 is more risky. It means you buying only the the ps3 games, not the console. The games are cheap now and will get more expensive due to demand should the ps5 be officially announced as backwards compatible with ps3 games. If the ps5 is backwards compatible, you just bought a ton of games for cheap before they increased in price, if the ps5 is not backwards compatible, you have to buy a more expensive ps3 because then they are in higher demand due to people realising that this console will be the only way to play certain games for eternity. You may save the ps3 console cost entirely, but you could just as easily end up having to pay it in the end, and then some.

You could of course just buy neither and wait until you know that the ps5 is backwards compatible. In this case you only have to buy the games, should not be impossible to snatch a few games from people who played through and wanted to sell them back quickly, and maybe the ps store has great prices for ps3 games, who knows. However if the ps5 is not backwards compatible and you have bought neither console or games, then you pay much more for a while, but this demand will die down after a while, so this can be a good approach if you are really patient.

if you want to play a ton of ps3 games, definitely pick 1. The cost of the console pales in comparison to what you are getting out of it and save on the games. Take your time and pick the best offers, maybe you find someone who wants to sell the console and a big collection for a great price. I will never get a ps3, I pretty much promised myself that so I hope the ps5 is backwards compatible and I will then just wait patiently on good sales for the few ps3 games I really want to play.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, Seskinator said:

I just hope it isn't purely digital games and that you can put your old PS3 games in the PS5. But we shall see...

I hope physical PS3 games will download an updated version for the PS5. Similar to what Xbox is doing right now with their BC. Their RDR1 shit for Xbox One X is goddamn INCREDIBLE, and definitely something that I would love to see Sony outright copy. 

It should become the industry standard.

Let me play Final Fantasy XIII-2 with textures that are of this decade, dammit. It looks piss poor on my 55" Sony X900F.

If its just to purely play games and you are not worried about getting Platinum/100% then its never too late to start, you can easily pick up a PS3 really cheap. The main problem if you are after getting Platinum is if the game has online trophies because a lot of these games will be pretty much dead online unless its a COD or FIFA type game. I still have games in my PS3 library I need to get round to playing at some point. Go for it

I beg you - please dont talk about backwards compatibility.

It was one of the greatest announcments for the ps4 - that it could read ps2 and ps3 games. Only a few weeks before the ps4 was released, they said that it wont be available at the start - but there will come a patch that gives us the backwards compatibility.

A few months later sony announced, that there will never be a backwards compatibility.

And this was the start of a new Business - the Remastered and Remake-Business.

I'm sure, they will bring us most of the ps4 titles in the store - to buy it for the ps5 again.

Like they did it on the ps4 as well.

But please - buy a ps3, its really cheap meanwhile - dont think about the backwards compatibility in the future. This wont happen.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 7:23 AM, AeroNoire said:

Thanks for the feedback. I already have a PS3 just never invested in it. So I'm definitely going to use it for all the single player games I missed out on.

Never ever too late to enjoy a good game. Most ps3 games are $5-10 with the more uncommon ones at $20-50.

I picked up a bunch of used PS3 games and I'm going though them now. I was a PS1 and 2 kid, but got a 360 that gen, but have come back home to the PS family. I'm swapping back and forth between my PS3 and PS4 and have had no issues doing so. That said, if PS5 does indeed come with PS3 and PS4 backwards compatibility, then the system will be day one for me, if not, I may wait until the list of games I have for these two is a little smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i got a PS3 in 2016. I was an Xbox 360 gamer during the 7th gen. I regret having taken my sweet time to play some of these games. I should had focuss more on the PS3 the last 2 and a half year but it is what it is. I still have many great titles to play on the machine and im mostly looking only at exclusives... 

The factors in getting a PS3 now are...

1) Most games have multiplayer servers down, and if they are still up, there mostly empty unless its Call of Duty, making it either impossible or very hard to unlock the multiplayer trophies.

2) PS3 Servers going offline may be a thing...  nothing heard from Sony so far and i do think they would announce it well in advance, but you never know. If it happen it may block earning trophies...

But personally i think PS3 and 360 games are holding up just fine...  There not "aging badly" by any means.