Is it too late?

AfroKagerou

Question is do you have a PS3 console/controllers right now or do you need to buy/borrow them?  Any games you can borrow?  The PS3 games are dirt cheap at GameStop if you want to taste that era.  Some of the better games are already remastered for the PS4.   Is there a particular game you are itching to get your hands on from that era?  

I agree with the consensus, it's never too late. I still give my PS3 some love as well.

PS3 games are starting to show up at the Goodwill near my house on a regular basis, so I'm still in the habit of adding to my PS3 backlog as well. Three dollars a pop, no matter what the game is. I've found some real gems on used games at Goodwill... Dark Souls, Fallout 3, The Last of Us, and what I consider to be the best find yet, The Orange Box (no trophies for the games in that collection, but oh well).

• 3 weeks later...

Just know that some games do not have servers anymore so you wouldn't be able to complete them. The other thing is they no longer produce any dualshock 3 controllers, so if you don't want to get some used original dualshock 3's (some are expensive by the way) then you'll have to stick with fake ones my friend, oh I'm talking about no sixaxis, weak and cheap controllers.

The good thing is games go really cheap when the sales come. 

• 4 months later...

Trophies are trophies. Go for it. You can find lots of PS3 slims and super slims and phenomenal games for almost nothing. It's the best kind of "retro" gaming. In fact I am not even sure it counts as retro gaming. I picked up GTA IV for $3 at gamestop the other day. I think if you can still buy games at a place like that you are still good.

Is it too late? Well, not really. Suppose you never invested in any PS3 games? You'd be missing out on a handful of very good games (MGS4, GTAIV, the MGS HD Collection for instance) plus a ton of old JRPGs and the like if you're into them. Most of the old games have been remastered for PS4, so it's up to you to look up the games that will probably be lost in time and see if you'd like to get them on PS3. I'm not sure Sony will make PS5 backwards compatible with PS3 games specifically and frankly I'm not expecting it.