Actual thoughts about this game?

Meltrind

12 hours ago, Patricia1993 said:

In a moment I saw this game for 2,99€ and I thought everyone will buy it. Easy plat, easy life. And I love those indie/simple games, so I decided to buy it. 

I remember to play without any guide or else while my boyfriend was on FIFA (of course), put my headset because of his noises and I started to feel so sad. He checked on me and I was in shock.

He killed himself on the end on my first playthrough and I feel so bad. I really don't want it.

They make the game in a way that make you feel everything. Music, art, words, light/dark.

Just perfect.

I hope more people enjoy this game. And you should keep playing. I think there was more 3 ends, check a guide and see everything.

Yea, I should finish it and play again since I wanna know what happens in other ending :'3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 19/02/2019 at 9:18 PM, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

The story for this will be relatable for a lot of people, I imagine. While playing through this myself, it was year 9 that I understood what was happening with our character; a fight with depression.

For those that haven't experienced this emotion, you are lucky, but those that have will understand this game to its fullest; with all emotions portayed and scenarios as to what depression puts you through. 

In this game depression was treated as a friend, unknowing as to what it truly is, and not knowing how to handle it. So, our protagonist pushes forward, wandering, looking for answers... 

Most come up with the same solution, as our protagonist does, and its then when faced with such decisions the understanding comes in. 

I do feel bad for those that quickly skipped through everything for trophies (even as a trophy hunter myself). At the same time though, they most likely didnt understand the theme of this game, and that's something I do not feel bad for.

So, for a short game and graphics aside, the story was quite compelling, and as I said relatable. For those of us that this does relate to, I salute you for pushing through this game as youve pushed through life. Life is never as easy as playing a game, but can be equally rewarding, if not far more rewarding. 

Always keep moving forward.

When you said, you feel bad about those people who play without read or understand the game, I'm with you. 

Have a friend who said " It's a shitty game and easy plat, so I don't care''.

I really feel this "platinum race" so dumb.

I play a LOT of easy games, indies and games most of people don't care, because I'm always for a game with a good story. 

I'm a trophy hunter too, but if I gave money for a game , at least I have to play with heart.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been fighting depression for many years, and this game really echoed with me. I didn't cried (probably because I'm deaf and can't hear any music or background sounds, which I guess plays a huge part of the "game" but I really understand what's going on really.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I will always try any walking simulator because I find most of the ones I play enjoyable or at least interesting. This one is very one dimensional though and only involves walking down a linear path and reading lines that are mostly just cringeworthy. This could have been better with better writing because as it stands, it's slow and predictable. And that is coming from someone who has battled with depression for a large portion of his life, so it's not like I can not relate to the subject matter.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am also having a depression. I bought the game also for the fast platinum, but after a few years i felt more with the persons in the game.
I can relate so much with the story.

One time you can read that they play videogames but it felt like a task and not having fun. I have been trough those area's in my life.

I also thought of suicide. And can so much relate to the story.

I am glad to played this game and also glad to get the platinum.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I don't mean to offend anyone that personally relates to the story, and but if I'm completely honest, this game was very bad in almost every way imaginable.

• the "story" is extremely shallow, cringy and barely a story really, it's basically just a one page monologue stretched through half an hour
  • the environment is terrible, has 0 atmospheric value and adds nothing to the story
  • the music is painfully mediocre
  • the trophies are awful
  • shall I go on

IMO, only buy this if you're in it for the trophies alone.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, harsly said:

I don't mean to offend anyone that personally relates to the story, and but if I'm completely honest, this game was very bad in almost every way imaginable.

• the "story" is extremely shallow, cringy and barely a story really, it's basically just a one page monologue stretched through half an hour
  • the environment is terrible, has 0 atmospheric value and adds nothing to the story
  • the trophies are awful
  • shall I go on

Agree completely. Feels like walking through a poor asset flip with a cringe-y depressed reddit post in the background. Even with the platinum I still felt like it was a waste of money. Ratalaika has about 50 better games than this if you want an easy plat that’s not so pretentious. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/11/2020 at 0:42 AM, harsly said:

• the trophies are awful
  • shall I go on

100% agree.

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2020 at 1:42 AM, harsly said:

• the trophies are awful
  • shall I go on

I agree. The idea wasn't bad but there have been better games when it comes to such topic, like Sea of Solitude for instance (which isn't a good game but there was much more work put into this). For anyone that likes that kind of topic - play Sea of Solitude. Apart from the cringey voice acting it's a much better product. Bless you guys.

It’s a great idea, but it's so poorly executed.

It's "Gone To The Rapture" styles of painfully slow walking speed. And the popin of detail and trees changing from dark to bright, it's probably one of the worst games for popin I have ever seen and the rate that the text comes up just seems too slow.

If you stray from the path too much, especially in the night time scenes you can very quickly lose all bearing of where you are and since there is no minimap, or even a compass to help if you get lost it's just better to restart the game.

Sadly many of the trophies require you to do exactly that, just randomly try to go somewhere else and be faced with invisible walls blocking your movement until you randomly find something.

The game draws your attention by having writing continually appearing in your face but once you are at angle on the path , you can't really see the dialogue properly anymore and of course it's backwards if you look from behind. I guess at least you have some clue on if you're walking in the wrong direction.

It's one of those games where the trophies are incredible hard without a guide but incredible easy with a guide. How am I possibly supposed to know there is a hidden snowman behind that tree, at that particular time when all the scenery throughout a stage looks exactly the same?

Or that I need to randomly ram myself at this random river area, or wall for 10 seconds whilst constantly smacking into a wall to simulate that I have tried to "climb it" or whatever. Who on earth would ever think of doing that?

Many of the random items you pick up just seem to be nonsense and not really related to anything. What's in the present and why is it even there? No idea, and you're never told.

First time I have ever got thumb ache before from holding down the up on the left analogue stick for such a long time.

Very rarely have I regretted buying a game, but it was recommended to me and it sounded interesting so I thought, why not?

Sure, it probably seems in poor taste to criticise a game that covers a dark topic, but sadly if a game is bad, then it's bad. There are much better ways of covering sensitive issues and this game, I also can relate to the story as I didn't exactly have a great childhood, but when the game actually makes me feel depressed playing it. That takes away a lot of empathy that I might have had for whatever is going on in this game and then sadly I end up chuckling because I can't believe I'm still playing it and then I remember I need to play this stage again later for some other ending.

Great idea and concept though, just very poorly executed indeed. Perhaps it is better on PS4, I dunno. But on Vita I could barely even see where I was going on the night stages. This game seriously needed some beta testers, with a little bit of extra work could have been way better.

Edited by enaysoft