1999 run tips?

Stargazer2600

Looking for any tips that can make this mode a breeze. I know the fight with the Siren and the fight at the end is gonna be a HUGE headache and to be honest I really dont like this title. However, since I only need a 1999 playthrough and have to do that run without using the dollar bill machines in order to get the plat, then why not finish it.

Any and all advice and tips are appreciated. I just wanna get this done as fast as possible.

• Like 2

If you want a quick road in 1999 mode farm a Winterhield in Battleship area, so you actually bacome a god with this thing. There are two gears near each other. So if you didnt get shield restart checkpoint. It took 20 minutes for me getting this gear. Also usefull gears are Blood to salt (for indoors fights), Firebird, Urgent care. You got burning halo from the 2d gear too. Another good place to farm equipement is in Hall of heroes, there are two gears in store rooms.

For sirens spam charge with burning halo and hit her with some volley gun or hand cannon bullets. For last fight use return to sender as said in previous post. Actually you need full upgrades for charge and return to sender skills, nothing more. For weapons buy damage upgrades for cannon and sniper riffle. If you get killed spend 100 dollars to respawn. You ll have plenty of money and with respawn, enemies that you killed before will not respawn with you. The only hard place of the run is the beginning where you have the worst weapons in the game.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

So I can give you all the advice you need. I love 1999 mode and have finished it many times.

1. Find every infusion. Salts is very important to get high early. Get to like 7 or 8 then start putting some into shield while you get salts to 10.

2. The game gets easier as you get things. Remember that.

3. The sniper rifle is your best friend. Once you get it, never put it down.

4. Your other weapon slot should always be a shotgun or a volley gun. Preferably a shotgun since ammo is a bit more common.

5. Bucking Bronco + Shotgun / Volley gun should always be used on normal enemies / firemen. It literally stops them from fighting back and makes them take double damage, no brainer.

6. Look everywhere for money, you'll need it to level up bucking bronco / charge / sniper / shotgun and crows duration upgrade. After you level those, focus on vigors you like, or Volley Gun if you use it a lot. If you can get the gear that gives $ every time you find a voxophone, that thing is as blessing in disguise.

7. Crows vigor will stun lock a Handyman for as long as you want. Makes him super easy. Especially with a Volley Gun, which I think most Handymen fights have one nearby.

8. The Siren, make sure your charge vigor is maxed. She's weak against it. Makes the fight an absolute joke. If you have the Burning Halo gear, it makes this strategy even better.

9. The last fight. Cover the battery in charged up Return to Sender vigors. Makes it basically invincible. Then head to the sniper perch up top, snipe and control the bird. Easy fight.

9. The Motorized Patriots. Shock Jockey then shoot in the back. Or play safe and snipe his head off.

10. Throwing enemies off the world with undertow is amazing but expensive. Use if you can get a big multikill. Otherwise stick to bucking bronco.

I can't really think of anything else but if you think of anything don't hesitate to ask.

Dont I need to save money for respawns? I was told if I die and cant respawn, you have to start the entire game over again

Edited by Stargazer2600

you can save your game and back it up i think. there's no issue just save on every good part. worst part of 1999 run is the siren just don't do as i did and not use the vigors, it was all endurance on my end.

Edited by kingdrake2

To be perfectly honest, IMO, 1999 isn't that much more difficult than hard mode. If you keep your distance instead of rushing in, make good use of vigors, and only spend your money on upgrades, it's not much to overcome

I will add this though, you will have less money than usual so I advise you pick two weapons you like most and upgrade them exclusively. It's also better to use the Columbia weapons as Vox weapons are sparse until late game. The same applies to vigors, chose two and upgrade them exclusively. Bucking Bronco is fantastic for mob control so that's my recommendation but anything will work really

Edited by majob

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Can the gear farming be done at any other checkpoints besides the Toy Soldiers (store)? Since it has been patched on PS4 (update 1.01)

You don’t need to farm gear. You will come across plenty as you play naturally and 1999 is honestly an absolute cake walk as long as you don’t go rushing into fights. People over exaggerate the difficulty of this mode so don’t worry.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

You don’t need to farm gear. You will come across plenty as you play naturally and 1999 is honestly an absolute cake walk as long as you don’t go rushing into fights. People over exaggerate the difficulty of this mode so don’t worry.

Thanks. I mean a bunch of players recommend that Winter Shield gear, so that I want to know if I am be able to restart checkpoint if I don't get that gear in 1999 mode.

Anyway, is the 1999 mode as difficult as The Last of Us' Grounded mode?

1 minute ago, zizimonster said:

Thanks. I mean a bunch of players recommend that Winter Shield gear, so that I want to know if I am be able to restart checkpoint if I don't get that gear in 1999 mode.

Anyway, is the 1999 mode as difficult as The Last of Us' Grounded mode?

I never even used winters shield gear. The gear that stunned enemies when your melee then is what I really used that helped and yes you can restart checkpoints to try and get a piece of gear you like but you don’t keep that gear if you restart. I found both pretty easy but 1999 mode is a good bit easier just upgrade your shield to max first then salts to max.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I never even used winters shield gear. The gear that stunned enemies when your melee then is what I really used that helped and yes you can restart checkpoints to try and get a piece of gear you like but you don’t keep that gear if you restart. I found both pretty easy but 1999 mode is a good bit easier just upgrade your shield to max first then salts to max.

Thanks a lot for clearing up my curiosity. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 6:29 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

Honestly it's easy only if you lucked out with the gear, for anyone interested I'd suggest soft resetting gears until you get: sheltered life, scavenger vest, burning halo,  and winter shield. The siren isn't even the most difficult fight, it's the last fight in the story.

all of @KingGuy420's tips helped me get the plat easily. when the last fight came, I didn't even die once

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay reading this makes me feel like the first noob T.T

I am stuck on 1999 for 2 eveings now. It doesnt even make fun anymore. 

Elizabeth just cut her hair so if I remember correctly its emporia checkpoint. There are lots of fire guys and i basically struggle to get near them since I can only take 4 hits with my shield and life (Infusion maxed shield and salt is almost full like 8 points, i think, I have also 2 or 3 points in life)

But they just kill me before I am even close enough to use any vigor. 

I already struggled with that sequence where daisy was about to kill that boy, too many minions and that handyman, after like 3 hours of trying i managed to put him down, but it did cost all the ammo I had. And a grey strain of hair.

TBH I hate that mode. I love a fair challenge and never put a game down bc of a hard mode or trophy, i usually play the hard mode on a good game I love for fun. But this is just not fun, not fair and I just want to get it done. ( i am aware that this just might not be my genre)

I was a bit confused when I read that you all had so much money. From my previous playthroughs i knew all the secrets and found definetly most of the money spots, i had some bad luck here and there while looting but I never used 100$ to continue, I do always reload instead. But I am broke, I was able to buy one vigor upgrade around 1650$ and 2 weapon upgrades around 300 and 500, and thats is. 

So. What am I doing so completely wrong?

i do not remember that spot but if there is air rail you can abuse of winter shield gear, since gear are randomised when you loot the box, you have to reload until you get winter shield.

but i guess its too late if you do not have a previous save with an unlooted gear