Guide of the Year Awards 2018 - Results!

BlindMango

Congrats to all the winners! Actually surprised to see my Tearaway Guide getting the first place since it was my first time making one and I feel like there's still a lot of room for improvement on my part (especially on my writing skills). Like to thank @BlindMango since he was the guide team member who reviewed and greatly helped me improve the guide (the idea to use different colours and headers to separate the different collectables came from him).

• Like 3

Congratulations to all the winners. The amount of content skyrocketed and the quality of the guides also improved. Fantastic work guys. 

I really want to congratulate @Undead Wolf and his team, I knew from the get go that the guide was bound for greatness, not to mention my happiness for seeing my game of the year earning the top prize for a change. God of war is amazing but the amount of content and fun world provides are just endless. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Happy said:

To the guide team: Has there been any conclusions on the new category system? Any possible tweaks and changes you might implement for the next awards such as adding/removing/rephrasing categories?

I'm going to push for a category Imported/Non-English games and to reduce the focus on pimping guides with tons of images when those aren't needed. 

• Like 3

Wow!! I have read the results yesterday in the late evening ?. Congratulations to all the other winners! 

I would like to thank first the guide team for all their efforts and how they make this website so awesome to flourish, and then all the guides writers for their high-quality productions ?. So just keep it this way and we will be fine! 
  • Like 2

Congrats to all the winners! There were a bunch of great guides out there and I'm sure it was difficult to pick three from each category.

Also, a very humble thanks to the guide team mods and users who liked my Final Fantasy IX Trophy Guide enough to even nominate it, let alone place in the top three.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Just glancing at them- even a month after submitting their guide, Shenmue's author responded to messages within 24 hours, sometimes within 12. All the other points you bring up about the road-map wasn't relevant to this specific category at all. 

The same thing can be said about GuP guide. I created a thread about a glitch caused by a patch, in two hours he detected which patch was the culprit and edited the guide.

In case of a "tie", other things could be taken in account, as overall quality of a guide.

At any rate, I just felt like pointing out something that seemed off to me and I'm not fighting over this anymore. It's up to the guide team what they judge correct from my comment.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:00 AM, BlindMango said:

Exceptional Use of Formatting

Fantastic examples of writers that noticeably master the art of guide resources like tables, headings, colours, spacing, & images.

1. :gold: - Shadow of the Colossus - Time Trials & Items Guide by Phoenixgaming1

? I was not expecting this. Not one bit. Congratulations to all of the other guide writers. ?

• Like 4

I didn't expect I would win anything but ultimately I'm glad to have helped make something as detailed as the Monster Hunter guide. Forgive the pun but it certainly was a monster to tackle :P Especially since it was my first Monster Hunter game and I didn't really know what to expect. But yes, I'm glad to have been able to see it through and have it wind up being more appreciated than I anticipated it being. Of course I wasn't the only one working on it and I know it wouldn't have looked near as good without help especially from @Undead Wolf :)

And I'm also glad to see my Fist of the North Star Substory guide win something too. I actually expected that to win less than Monster Hunter but I still appreciate it :) I saw my L.A. Noire guide got nominated and along with Monster Hunter and Fist of the North Star I appreciate the comments towards them especially knowing that they helped. I hope with whatever guide I may work on in the future I can keep that up and improve further.

Lastly, congrats to the winners of the other guides!

• Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, BlindMango said:

NIche Game Guide

Some of our favorite picks for guides for indie games, imported games (JP, KR, etc), and non-AAA games.

1. :gold: - 英雄伝説 閃の軌跡III Trophy Guide by hasegawa2010
  2. :silver: - Kona Trophy Guide by RizzleAbbey12 & AshestoAshes28
  3. :bronze: - Cosmic Star Heroine Trophy Guide by Scarburn

Thank you very much for the recognition, I am very honoured to be included!

Also, thank you to all of the guide writers out there! Making the guide for Cosmic Star Heroine took a lot of time and it is a relatively small game, I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into making a quality guide for the larger games. Keep it up!

• Like 2