Good "bad" games!

SuchRemorse

We have all played them! Horrible nightmares of games. Games so bad that you don't even want to finish them. Even though we could be 1 or 2 hours away from that shiny platinum trophy! We just DON'T want to finish them. But once in awhile you may come across something that's bad. But not soooooooooo bad. Even entertaining to say the least. So I would like to say. I just Got the platinum Trophy for the game "Magus" On the ps3. Now this game is considered a bad game. But I didn't even mind the 6 or so hours it took me to get the trophy. It was strange. I knew the game was bad. But I was still entertained. I didn't mind the constant shooting of mindless enemies running towards me. Sometimes not so much. (I'm looking at you Orc Slayer) You all know what I"m talking about. When you play a game and it's actually like WORK to finish it. Ugh horrible. Ok well I'm rambling on and on. My question is this. What games have you played that you know are bad games. But you still didn't mind finishing them. Name 3 Bad good games. As bad as these games were. I didn't mind finishing them. And none of them felt like work. 

1 Magus

2 Dungeon hunter alliance (Diablo rip off)

3 Monster Jam Crush it

I'm looking for the best of the worst games. Go!

I don't know if these games are considered "horrible", but I had big amount of fun while playing these in comparison to amount of bad opinions about them:

• Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends: PS+ december 2017. Almost nonexistent singleplayer and terrible online didn't keep me from getting 82% of the trophies from the game, and it didn't even feel like a chore, because fun Super Smash Bros-like gameplay and nice music from the film kept me interested. Maybe one day I'll return and complete it, because now it's impossible without boosting and you need two consoles to do it solo.
  • Bombing Busters: PS+ march 2018. Poor-man Bomberman I completed without pressing myself hard. It was mostly pure RNG cancer outside of bosses, which actually had good fight design and were truly hard.
  • Shütshimi: PS+ april 2016. Very wacky and specific shmup. And also very pleasant, at least for me.
Edited by sashamence
  • Like 1

Bionic Commando (after giving it a 2nd chance some years later, great game)

Duke Nukem Forever (good humor, good FPS)

Eat Lead (good humor, good TPS)

Knack 1&2 (uh... baby I guess)

RE6 (ok after getting into it, still a disappointment)

Silent Hill: Homecoming (good horror, no y-axis inversion sucks)

Terminator Salvation (generic FPS in an interesting setting, harder and more fun than everybody's mama makes it out to be)

Edited by fastflowdaman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Terminator Salvation (generic FPS in an interesting setting, harder and more fun than everybody's mama makes it out to be)

Nice List.. Yeah I'll agree with Eat Lead! I totally forgot about that game. It's a lot better than the reviews or what people say it to be. Kinda funny too. :)

4 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Knack 2 is hardly a bad game. I wouldn't even say the first is bad either, it's just a meme. Is it heavily flawed in it's simplicity, sure, but it does what it does well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Knack 2 is hardly a bad game. I wouldn't even say the first is bad either, it's just a meme. Is it heavily flawed in it's simplicity, sure, but it does what it does well.

I still haven't played that game. I have Knack on my backlog. I heard it starts out easy but gets considerably harder towards the end of the game. Thoughts??? 

53 minutes ago, SuchRemorse said:

I still haven't played that game. I have Knack on my backlog. I heard it starts out easy but gets considerably harder towards the end of the game. Thoughts??? 

It's a challenging brawler/platformer. If you are into this type of games you'll probably like it.

The grind for crystals [and diamonds] is much bigger now though as the companion app has been shut down. You'll need multiple playthroughs and best do some save scumming in levels with early chests.

See trophy guides.

5 minutes ago, A_Tennis_Giraffe said:

Alone In The Dark - A very poorly executed game where nothing actually worked in it, but I still ended up really liking it. AND I had to play it TWICE because the achievement for finishing the game somehow glitched on me so I had to redo the entire thing.

I refrained from starting the trophy set because the game was so bad (it got a trophy patch later on after being published w/o trophies iirc).

When/how did you get into it? Perhaps I will give it another shot. 

Edited by fastflowdaman

2 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Oh come now, Knack 2 was an improvement over Knack 1. Far easier to play, and far more combat techniques. Hell, the platforming was funner. Knack 1, on the other hand...

2 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

Yes, it gets more difficult. The combat in 1 is just...bad. No long-range whatsoever.

Knack 2 though, can pretty much be played without having played 1, and it's much easier. (I did my whole playthrough on Hard difficulty, and still breezed through. 

2 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

It's all about timing, if you're good at that kind of thing then it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not, so it was a bit of a pain for me at times. But, I made it easier on myself and used Diamond Knack for the hard and the final difficulty. And played on normal the first go around iirc. It's very simple combo/dodge and then super moves. That's it. It was intended as a simple game that kids could play, but could offer a challenge for adults on hire difficulties.

I still believe that reviewers played through on easy to make the deadlines for launch, and to be fair to them, yes Knack is incredibly boring on easy. But Very Hard? Nope. At least not for me. Even with Diamond Knack it killed me plenty of times. Like I said, combat focused on reaction time are not my strong suit. It keeps you on your toes. But Diamond Knack certainly does help, the other skins do as well. (you get them through chests, finding x amount of jewels/gems of a certain type, diamond, ruby, etc - and they have stat bonuses, obviously, Diamond is the best)

I'd say the more pressing issue is if you go for plat and the treasures. Getting diamonds is a chore. Luckily Knack 2 fixed the way treasures work so it's not frustrating at all, don't even need to get diamond knack or all the skins, just one. And the trophy list is better. It's a much funner game overall, and that includes to plat. But the first is at worst a mediocre, simple game. Annoys me that the game became a meme, since it really overshadowed the vast improvements that went into the sequel.

Unpopular opinion but Until Dawn

I couldn't care less about the characters because of how angsty and cheesy everyone was BUT! Once I started treating it like a cheesy horror movie (such as I know what you did last summer for example) it grew on me a little. Killing everyone on my "death" playthrough was satisfying :devil:

6 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Unpopular opinion but Until Dawn

I couldn't care less about the characters because of how angsty and cheesy everyone was BUT! Once I started treating it like a cheesy horror movie (such as I know what you did last summer for example) it grew on me a little. Killing everyone on my "death" playthrough was satisfying :devil:

I don't think that an unpopular opinion at all ?. Everybody I know who has played that game has either really liked it or loved it. It's just not a popular game, but it gets the praise it deserves.

LittleBigPlanet Karting is my game of choice. Game got so much hate. I love the game though.

• Like 1

Truth be told, I enjoyed both Duke Nukem Forever and Terminator Salvation on PS3 despite being heavily flawed games. The second one is also a trophy hunter's dream. You can get the Platinum in a single hard difficulty playthrough and be done with it in less than 8 hours.

They weren't good, not as bad as some people make them out to be. Sure, there are better games out there but I don't feel the need to smash my head against a wall after playing so I guess that makes them somewhat decent. That's why I'm always open to playing so-called shitty games. To see if they are as bad as people make them out to be :)

• Like 1

Bound by flame. One of the very few RPGs that actually made me want to play as the evil guy, seeing your character slowly turn into a demon lord while becoming extremely powerful was sick. Despite being considered a "bad" game I had a good time with this one. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 1

Neverdead: I don't get why everybody hates this game, I enjoyed playing it, the co-op was challenging but mostly fun, over the top but hilarious at times quips, satisfying gore, not to mention the dismember mechanic, seriously who doesn't enjoy throwing their own limbs at enemies or rolling around as a head? This game is good I don't care what people say :popcorn:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

I refrained from starting the trophy set because the game was so bad (it got a trophy patch later on after being published w/o trophies iirc).

When/how did you get into it? Perhaps I will give it another shot. 

Oh, it didn't have trophies initially? Didn't realize that! I played on the 360 so it always had achievements implemented. I think I played it back in maybe 2011 because my partner had bought it for me. I was interested in it even though I'd read the reviews and everyone's opinions on it. I feel that the game had good ideas but that they were just poorly executed which became frustrating. Also, the controls were pretty horrendous, but somehow amongst all that I enjoyed the story and I guess to a degree even the gameplay (as frustrating and annoying as it was).

I don't think the game deserved ALL the hate that it got. It was mediocre, sure, but I definitely wouldn't put it in the bracket of "Do not touch with a barge pole" like many people did.

I'd say give it another shot. If you can put up with all the problems with the controls, etc, I think if you like these kinds of games you may end up liking it. Then again, you may not, lol, but at least give it a go on another profile first :)

Difficult topic to answer. I guess I’ll pick Final Fantasy XIIII’m not sure if it can be considered a ‘bad’ game per se, but it’s pretty clear that it wasn’t the most appreciated entry in the series. You’d definitely see more negative opinions than you would see positive opinions surrounding the game. Nevertheless it remains as one of my favorite games of all time!

PS3:

Risen 2. Really just not a game that was put together well, but I still had fun. Jaffar became an instant favorite character lol.

Cursed Crusade. This was even worse than Risen 2, but I still didn't feel it was bad enough to just put down.

PS4:

Risen 3. This game was good fun until I hit the same game breaking glitch 3 times. I swore it off despite only needing to beat the game for the platinum and a few days later completely wiped it off the system to start from scratch.