Good "bad" games!

SuchRemorse

On the PS3, Deadly Premonition and Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse come to mind. Deadly Premonition had some awful gameplay mechanics, yet it was such a fascinatingly bizarre experience that was hard not to enjoy. Family Guy got poor reviews, but I actually kinda had fun with it. It looked like a PS2 game and there wasn't anything particularly special about the game, but it was amusing and fun enough to play.

On the PS4, I'll say Homefront: The Revolution and Hardware Rivals. Homefront: Revolution was rightfully shat on upon its release because it was pretty much a nightmare to play. But once its major issues were fixed for the most part, I actually didn't think it was that bad of a game. Definitely nothing special, but very much playable when the game wasn't pausing every few minutes to load (or maybe save, I forget which). Anyway, I'm among the 0.97% of people here who played the game and bothered to 100% it ? Some of the DLC was actually decent too imo. As for Hardware: Rivals, I found it really fun while it was active when it was a part of PS+. I'm probably one of the few who genuinely enjoyed it despite its mediocre reviews.

Edited by Jay_Cash

FFXV: Worst FF imo. The whole emo host boy crew on a road trip scenario didn’t feel like an FF to me, and the story was pretty weak. I played it for the sake of it as it’s an FF and I’m otherwise an FF fan, but didn’t bother with any of the dlc or extra content added post release. I could write an essay about how bad this game was. Noctis and Lunas relationship was also a mystery to me. 

Tales of Zestiria: with thousands of one star reviews on Amazon, this was no doubt a bad game and the worst Tales game Ive played. I finished the story for the sake of it, didn’t bother with the trophies or post game stuff though as it was such a bad game. The annoying battle camera, lack of party customization, overly convoluted skill sheet and  other little annoyances like the cooking system and Alisha being nonexistent in the party made me hate this game. The fact that it was a Tales game was the only reason I bothered finishing the story. At least the story was ok. 

Mass Effect: Andromeda: Hey, someone had to bring a major AAA release into this thread. While I don't think this game deserves to be anywhere near the shit list...if you hear most people tell it, it's widely considered one of the worst games of this generation, so I think it counts. I looked passed the campy dialogue and bad facial animations to the core game that was underneath all that and I loved it...it's not the best in the series...but it just doesn't deserve the hate it gets. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Viper said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda: Hey, someone had to bring a major AAA release into this thread. While I don't think this game deserves to be anywhere near the shit list...if you hear most people tell it, it's widely considered one of the worst games of this generation, so I think it counts. I looked passed the campy dialogue and bad facial animations to the core game that was underneath all that and I loved it...it's not the best in the series...but it just doesn't deserve the hate it gets. 

Agreed.  This is the first game I thought of too.  I haven't played it enough to really say how good it is exactly, but what I have played left me with the impression that it's basically an above average game.  It's very strange to see how much people dislike it.  It's like people just decided to pile on against it without really playing it.

Another game that feels like it got the same treatment was Metal Gear Survive.  I don't think it's as good as Mass Effect: Andromeda, but it's also no where near as bad as people have said.  I had fun with it.

Perhaps the one thing in common here is that both of these were games from a long-standing series that probably didn't go the direction that a lot of fans of the series wanted and didn't measure up to the best games in the series.  Still, they're clearly not among the worst games ever, which is basically where people on metacritic are rating them.  I haven't played Fallout 76, but I suspect it might be another in this vein.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, NaseemJohn said:

Bound by flame. One of the very few RPGs that actually made me want to play as the evil guy, seeing your character slowly turn into a demon lord while becoming extremely powerful was sick. Despite being considered a "bad" game I had a good time with this one. 

Conpletely agree, I really enjoyed a Bound by Flame. Maybe because it was my first “Souls” type game?

Lord of the Fallen also, I don’t get all the hate. I played this one after BbF and before Bloodbourne but still looking back I enjoyed LoTF a lot. I didn’t plat yet like BB but I will go back one day to.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AnabolicFreak84 said:

Conpletely agree, I really enjoyed a Bound by Flame. Maybe because it was my first “Souls” type game?

Lord of the Fallen also, I don’t get all the hate. I played this one after BbF and before Bloodbourne but still looking back I enjoyed LoTF a lot. I didn’t plat yet like BB but I will go back one day to.

I finished lords of the fallen like twice a couple years ago. It has its flaws but it's definitely not a bad game by any means. I'm not sure why it got hate because I wasn't paying attention to the internet back then but I'll just assume it was dark soul fanboys that just didn't want to accept any other game developer making a similar game.

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dmland12 said:

Agreed.  This is the first game I thought of too.  I haven't played it enough to really say how good it is exactly, but what I have played left me with the impression that it's basically an above average game.  It's very strange to see how much people dislike it.  It's like people just decided to pile on against it without really playing it.

Another game that feels like it got the same treatment was Metal Gear Survive.  I don't think it's as good as Mass Effect: Andromeda, but it's also no where near as bad as people have said.  I had fun with it.

Perhaps the one thing in common here is that both of these were games from a long-standing series that probably didn't go the direction that a lot of fans of the series wanted and didn't measure up to the best games in the series.  Still, they're clearly not among the worst games ever, which is basically where people on metacritic are rating them.  I haven't played Fallout 76, but I suspect it might be another in this vein.

Because people on the internet like to be fake mad and blow everything out of proportion. Mass effect andromeda wasn't as excellent as its predecessors but it was still a good game that had technical issues at launch. It also has the best combat in the series but i guess it's easier to focus on the cons and ignore the pros then toss that out there as criticism. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

I finished lords of the fallen like twice a couple years ago. It has its flaws but it's definitely not a bad game by any means. I'm not sure why it got hate because I wasn't paying attention to the internet back then but I'll just assume it was dark soul fanboys that just didn't want to accept any other game developer making a similar game.

I think the reason is because Dark souls was fairly new at the time. No other games were like it besides demon's souls. So it had a big hype train and everyone was hoping it was going to be the next dark souls. At least as good if not better. It had BIG SHOES TO FILL. Since it would be the first "souls like game" other than dark souls. It was kinda flawed so it automatically failed. Not a bad game though. Just not dark souls. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:22 AM, NaseemJohn said:

Because people on the internet like to be fake mad and blow everything out of proportion. Mass effect andromeda wasn't as excellent as its predecessors but it was still a good game that had technical issues at launch. It also has the best combat in the series but i guess it's easier to focus on the cons and ignore the pros then toss that out there as criticism. 

I agree with your take on modern days internet critique 100%. People put too much emphasis on image quality or "open world" but ignored much else IMHO. But I would only put Andromeda as a solid game for its plain story and character building. Plus, I prefer controlling everyone in combat.

• Like 1

Mass Effect: Andromeda- Story needed a lot of work but the gameplay was solid and had good ideas but is clearly rushed to sell on the name.
Lords of the Fallen- Yea it's a dark souls clone but it's actually got a interesting story even though it can be clunky at times.
Agents of Mayhem- Fun gameplay and open world and even the story has it's share of fun but it did get slammed for being a saints row knock off(same devs)
The Last Remnant- Story can be hit or miss and it's starting learning curve is brutal and has a ton of missables. But once you get the hang of everything it's actually a pretty good game.
Mighty No.9- Yea it was not what was promised as the 2nd coming of megaman but it was still a fun platformer regardless of the huge failure of a launch.
Resonance of Fate- Another game with a brutal learning curve and not the greatest looking game but the combat is very unique and the story is actually pretty good.
No Man's Sky- Yea this was a PR nightmare and Sean Murry didn't help the problem what so ever but 3 years later the game is actually pretty good and the exploration is a lot of fun.

• Like 1

ELEX is in the 50s on Metacritic and I just don't get that.

It has great characters, interesting story and dialogue, an expansive and vibrant world to explore.

The combat is rough for the first few hours....you are a weakling and everthing can kill you. It gets better, but never easy. Maybe reviewers didn't get to far in, when your options start to open up. 

It's also quite janky, but no more so than a Bethesda RPG. There are no beautiful character animations or panoramic landscapes to marvel at here.

But if you want an immersive RPG with lots of character, Elex is really good. 

• Like 1

On 9-2-2019 at 0:56 AM, DaikichiKawachi said:

The Order 1886 was (perhaps rightfully) criticized when it was released, but I think if you have your expectations in check, specifically regarding it's length, then you will have a good time playing it. I actually hold out hope that we might see a sequel one day. There is the potential for a really good game there.

Had a good time with the game as well. A sunday afternoon very well spent. Also really liked the world and the story presentation. A sequel seems unlikely but would be appreciated.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just platinumed the Assassin's Creed Chronicles trilogy and I have to say I really really had a great time , despite the games being considered mediocre at best. I actually felt like a true assassin, not some crazy rambo dude in pijamas who can counter the entire Jerusalem police. Also going for Shadow Gold scores (pass through sections without being detected or killing anyone while doing all side missions) proved to be one pleasant challenge.

Story sucks ass though, that much I agree xD 

Mmmh...

Well one game that comes to mind is Assassin Creed 3, especially since the remastered version just came out. While it does have some great aspect about it, such as its setting, great open world (I love the frontier) and introduced naval combat. But it seemed for every good thing it has, it also got some bad thing, such as an unlikable main character, convoluted slow paced story, and just an overall disappointment by most fans, especially the end. It was sort of the end of an era for Assassin Creed, however I still enjoy the game, and I'll try to get back into it this summer.

Two other games that I like, but are despised, especially by their fan base is.... Dead Space 3 and DMC Devil May Cry. 

Yes, they have distance themselves from their previous game, and have some nasty habits, and of course I understand why their hated, but I enjoy playing them. Mainly because I didn't grow up with the earlier entries, but their game play is pretty straight forward but challenging at the same time. I don't absolutely love them, but I don't hate them for what they are.

Edited by Pershing24

Quantum Theory. The graphics are ugly as fuck, the story is ridiculously over-the-top, plus it shamelessly and blatantly rips off Gears of War. With that being said, I still enjoyed getting this plat, and it wasn't the easiest game to complete either. A true guilty pleasure from the PS3 era.

Dead Space 3 is my pick. Unpopular opinion here but I didn’t think it was as bad as people made it out to be. Yes it’s more action packed and not horror anymore but I still enjoyed it. I love uncharted and dead space 3 felt like uncharted in space with its action scenes. Just a shame I couldn’t get the platinum because of the damn coop trophies... 

Bad games are fun. I always seem to really like playing through games that many other people despise up to the point of meme-age.

Magus was a lot of fun to shoot through in an afternoon. I really enjoy the Heavy Fire games too. Terminator Salvation was definitely alright. Not yet finished it, but I liked Battleship as well. The much despised Truck Racer was excellent fun for me. I could go on.

I recently ordered Ride to Hell: Retribution and am expecting a lot of it. I also want to find a reasonably priced copy of Rambo at some point but 25+ euro's is just too much imo.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

On 09/02/2019 at 7:56 AM, DaikichiKawachi said:

The Order 1886 was (perhaps rightfully) criticized when it was released, but I think if you have your expectations in check, specifically regarding it's length, then you will have a good time playing it. I actually hold out hope that we might see a sequel one day. There is the potential for a really good game there.

I agree with you and hopefully if there ever is a squeal the game will focus more on the Lycans/Half Breeds rather then just a rebellion type plot we seen before. The whole Half Breed thing is what got me interested in the game to begin with.    

• Like 2

Even though this is on the PS4 forum, I'm assuming we can go back in time? If so, let's put some old man stink on this thread!

SNES: The 7th Saga. This game is roundly hated by many in the community (together with other Enix releases like Paladin's Quest). But 7th Saga is actually a pretty good game. It's one of the toughest RPGs I've ever played. It has a great story early on. You can play as one of 7 different characters, each with his/her own motivations for the game. Depending on who you play as, you can ally with other characters, or battle them. Some characters are good, some characters are evil. In fact, good characters can actually turn evil during the game. I remember when I played as the alien, the paladin ended up turning bad, taking over a town, and ultimately allying with me for a time. Pretty heady stuff for an SNES title. Graphics are pretty nice for the time, and it has some cool theme songs. 

Unfortunately, it's really let down by its ending, which is exactly the same no matter which character you play. But outside of that, I enjoyed it, even when it frustrated the hell out of me.

PS1: Legend of Mana. After Secret of Mana, lots of people detested this follow-up. What a shame. The game has some of the best graphics of any game I've played ever (those watercolor backdrops are just awesome - I wish we had seen more of them). The various storylines are all interesting, and can be played mostly in any order. In addition, there are tons of other levels/towns/stages that must be found, depending on your actions. In fact, I've never been able to find one of them, despite the fact that it's in my strategy guide for the game. The music is top notch. And there was even a system by which you received special in-game rewards based on what save files you had from other Square games on your memory card. All in all, a great game.

PS2: Legaia 2: Duel Saga. Boy - this game gets hammered a lot. I don't know why. It was fun from beginning to end. I still hum the battle theme in my head sometimes. Here it is on youtube, but it's not nearly as great, because the drums have been toned down.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

PS1: Legend of Mana. After Secret of Mana, lots of people detested this follow-up. What a shame. The game has some of the best graphics of any game I've played ever (those watercolor backdrops are just awesome - I wish we had seen more of them). The various storylines are all interesting, and can be played mostly in any order. In addition, there are tons of other levels/towns/stages that must be found, depending on your actions. In fact, I've never been able to find one of them, despite the fact that it's in my strategy guide for the game. The music is top notch. And there was even a system by which you received special in-game rewards based on what save files you had from other Square games on your memory card. All in all, a great game.

Is this game really considered bad? :o To this day I still think this game has some of the most incredible graphics I've come across. I never truly got to play this game in its entirety because I read a while back that you can somehow lock yourself out of certain things and I always manage it due to never having played with a guide. I always play blind. And yes...the music...still probably my favorite video game soundtrack.

I've yet to play Secret of Mana on the PS4 but I just don't see it being better than LoM. (which I have downloaded on my PS3 so I play every couple years for fun. :D)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and say it straight out. Homefront the revolution. I am  a HUGE fan of games where you play as revolutionaries and loved the game. I bought it when it first came out when it was a buggy mess and still loved it. Oh I should also mention AC Unity. Once again I bought it when it came out and loved the buggy mess it was. I am also a sucker for a game with a half decent romance plot.