Rate this game 1-10 in terms of how boring it is

kerck11

On 6/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, DF007gamer said:

For me it was shit. I can see why you enjoy it seen that you've skip out on many amazing games which is by far better the RDR2. So it's understandable.Once you've played games like Witcher, Dragon Age, Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc etc etc the list goes on you'll find RDR2 is not what it seems. 

Such a condescending statement. Basically saying their opinion on a game is invalid... 

• Like 4

An 8/10

I really wanted to give this game a chance. Played it for a few hours each day, for about 20 hours, hoping for it to get better and to hook me in, but it never did. Each time launching the game I felt what a chore it was going to be. Finally, I just asked myself, "why do I even bother with it?" and stopped playing it 

Out of those 20 hours, there was barely anything that entertained me. The graphics looked good, the voice acting and some of the dialogue was engaging. But other than that it was 80% horse riding, 10% cutscenes, 10 % boring shootouts. That's it, really? 

I fully realize that the game might turn into the most amazing thing later on, and I'm missing on something great. But if the game can't keep me interested in it after investing 20 friggin hours- I'll pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JalXander said:

An 8/10

I really wanted to give this game a chance. Played it for a few hours each day, for about 20 hours, hoping for it to get better and to hook me in, but it never did. Each time launching the game I felt what a chore it was going to be. Finally, I just asked myself, "why do I even bother with it?" and stopped playing it 

Out of those 20 hours, there was barely anything that entertained me. The graphics looked good, the voice acting and some of the dialogue was engaging. But other than that it was 80% horse riding, 10% cutscenes, 10 % boring shootouts. That's it, really? 

I fully realize that the game might turn into the most amazing thing later on, and I'm missing on something great. But if the game can't keep me interested in it after investing 20 friggin hours- I'll pass.

Exactly my experience as well. Part of the problem was I got sucked into the overhyped train.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JEDLander said:

Yeah, 10.

If you enjoy this game, don't go for the platinum. Do yourself a favour, just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea. It's not. Red Dead 2 is the most tedious platinum I've ever seen. Everything is a miserable chore. 

Pretty much all the requirements for 100% completion are bitterly unenjoyable, I genuinely don't believe that anybody at cockstar actually did any of these things, because why would you bother? They're a total waste of life. You're going to be spending 70 hours, maybe more, looking for a ridiculous number of plants, trying to get animals to spawn in, trying to get fish to spawn in, trying to get bears to spawn in so you can be mauled by 18 of them. The challenges are piss poor because they only start tracking when you complete the previous one. For herbalist, you need to pick 15 herb species, then later you have to pick every herb species and the 15 you found earlier need to be found again. Utterly nonsensical. Oh and the game doesn't track which ones you have and haven't found. A couple of the gambler challenges are 100% RNG so settle in for that shit, and I hope you like trying to find every breed of horse. Prepare to get annoyed at YT videos where some smug asshole is stood in the middle of a herd of horses, but you ride around for an hour in the same spot and find fuck all. Algernon Wasp is a dick. Even the less immediately annoying ones like the dino bones just degrade into a boring slog, and the 19 perfect carcasses are for masochists. You could literally play through an entire other game, maybe two, in the time it takes for you to do this painstaking clean-up alone, so go and do that instead.

The online is a miserable, contentless void of repetition that rockstar refuses to invest any time or effort into. If you really want to go for Lv 50, I  recommend doing a level or two per day and then doing something else because there's just so little to keep you entertained. I genuinely had a better time with Fallout 76 than this multiplayer.

The requirements for the gold medals are a failure from start to finish. There's no real checkpoint feature to retry tough sections, the objectives are utterly uninspired and boring, and they don't stay completed on successive attempts, so if you manage to do a mission with 90% accuracy but not in the time limit, and then you try again and you do it within the time limit but miss three shots, you're still no closer to the gold. MGSV did this so much better. Just like the rest of the game, you need to do an unnecessary number of the missions over and over again. 50 golds would have been more than enough, but thank god they don't ask for all missions gold. This is the only time that they were at least semi-reasonable.

The objectives for completing a mission in the certain time limit are the worst, because every mission has long sections where the game dictates what pace you're allowed to ride/ walk at, you have to stop and wait for NPC's which can clip onto walls or scenery, or other random NPCs, slowing you down and junking that attempt because the time limits are eye-waveringly strict most times. Any failure screen will void the accuracy and health-item related objectives (not sure if this is intentional) so if a moron NPC walks in front of a stagecoach, or skittles a pedestrian, or is struck by a bolt of lightning, then boom, attempt over, do it all again. Quit the game, reload the game, go back through the menu and reload the whole mission, listen to all of the dialogue again during the mandatory slow-ass trailing session at the start, and then you can try again. 

I really liked the game when I first played it (apart from Ch6 because most of that is utter drivel), but holy shit does it long out-stay its welcome. And since quitting at any point means that all the time you spent grinding thus far is a total waste, you kinda get sucked in to seeing it through.

Oh God, my thoughts exactly.

It would have been so easy to make an enjoyable platinum:

-Only 50 Gold medals required

-Only 75% of the animals studied 

-Only 75% of the animals skinned 

-Survive a bear attack 3-5 times, not 18.

-No Hunter Request required for the 100% (so no trophy for finding the squirrel)

-No exotic objects required for the 100%

-All 90 challenges available since the beginning and you can do all of them at once so you don't have to do the same thing twice or even 3 times

That's it, nothing special, no need to think too much, was it that hard Rockstar? What do developers get making the platinum journey miserable? I will never understand...

Edited by Lezonidas
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lezonidas said:

Oh God, thoughts exactly.

It would have been so easy to make an enjoyable platinum:

-Only 50 Gold medals required

-Only 75% of the animals studied 

-Only 75% of the animals skinned 

-No Hunter Request required for the 100% (so no trophy for finding the squirrel)

-No exotic objects required for the 100%

-All 90 challenges available since the beginning and you can do all of them at once

That's it, nothing special, no need to think too much, was it that hard Rockstar? What do developers get making the platinum journey miserable? I will never understand...

I think this is exactly right. With a few minor tweaks, the whole thing would take 10's of hours less, and would be a pleasure. As it is, everything just takes so long and the time spent is just not enjoyable in the slightest, which is such a damn shame because I really like this game. I've got 6 gold medals left and then I'm never playing it again..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15.07.2020 at 7:58 PM, JEDLander said:

If you enjoy this game, don't go for the platinum. Do yourself a favour, just don't do it. It might seem like a good idea. It's not. Red Dead 2 is the most tedious platinum I've ever seen. Everything is a miserable chore. 

Man, don't say things like that. I really enjoyed RDR2 & I also went for the platinum. It made me enjoy and appreciate the game even more. The "worst" things to happen on my platinum journey was looking for rio grande chicken for 3 hours and thats the most time i had to spend on a single thing. I get it that some people might just hate that chicken or that florida panther but the rest of the animals are basically earned while playing the game. I was really amazed by the work they had to put in to make all these animals into the game since they even made them act like they would do in real life too. I've earned 90% of animals, done most of the challenges by the time i unlocked the last part of the map and it all gave me FUN. I wish it had even more content and the requirements for the platinum to me are just fine. You don't even need to 100% the game (as an example you just need 48 weapons).

the multiplayer though.... man, it was boring but nothing too bad, I've seen bigger grinds for sure. If they only added more content in the MP..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I give it a 5/10 on boring for the single player but a 10/10 for online.

Reason for the single player is mostly due to the fact there is a lot of walking about in the camps and slow down on things such as needing to do meanless things such as cleaning your guns every 3 to 4 gun fights as with all things guns breaking down in game is to me just annoying. Sure you can say it is like real life but if we are being "Real" here we won't be rubbing the damn thing with a random cloth now would we. Plus the fact your horses act too child like at them seeing a single enemy, like a random snake about 4 feet from the horse makes it go ape shit. it is bs as if your going to it sure make it go crazy but if it is near why make it go crazy, i mean I want to make a good shot at something and it bucks me off even if I maxed out on bonding with it. Plus it does not help the fact that being in first person it is much better for you firing from the hip at least from my time of playing it.

As for the online. well, there is barely anything, it carries over the same "real" parts of the single player to online however with the Big R* middle finger that says pay us real money or get ready to grind endless hours to even get a good enough weapon. I mean for a double barraled shotgun it cost $120 in game to buy it and if you play the single player it is much cheaper plus you can get them weapons off of a enemy sure it would be rusty if gotten by a enemy but at least you can get it for free and there is a choice in online there is none. Plus the fact there is hardly anything to do. the so called legendary bounties are not worth much, only about 50 to 100 at most and even then it ain't like it was in single player.

I might be coming off like a old man but back in RDR1 I enjoyed the hell out of the online it was mindless fun and was great in rdr 2 online it feels like it is trying to be a lot like a cowboy sim but with a middle finger to you in terms of buying nice things and we all know why so R* can get you to buy the golden bars in game to make things easier for you and so on.

I think RDR2 is great for what it is but when it comes down to it I hope they never repeat the bs that is in this game, the Real like parts to the game such as guns breaking down, needing to eat to heal right and making sure you take care of yourself and so on is just to me not what should be in a RDR game as if your going to do that let my enemies die in 3 shots to the chest from my rifle then 5 to 6 or more as if your going to be realist go full on then half ass it.

I wouldn't rate it 10/10. I haven't seen anything in history that is 10/10.

Singleplayer

Probably the greatest story I've experienced ever. The character's felt real, the voice acting is phenomenal, the writing is realistic and made you sympathize with the characters.

Sadly, there are gameplay issues that make the game less enjoyable than it could be. Looting is extremely pointless, you loot one body at a time for a few items/money that is not worth the time spent. Hunting is annoying because skinning animals isn't fun. It's not fun when you hop off your horse after getting jumped and you have only your primary weapons because your character automatically puts it away after a little while. The world is amazing and gorgeous. It's extremely fun to ride around.

Like other Rockstar games, I don't care for the online at all. I don't find it enjoyable compared to other online games. I don't find it replayable at all and only complete their online modes as I enjoyed the singleplayer so much and don't wanna miss out on the platinum.

All in all I'd recommend this game to absolutely anyone, though I'd pass on the online portion.

I agree 10/10. Maybe it'll be fun to play just the story, I was doing chores for a trophy, better ending or something maybe they are just for immersion and mean nothing but regardless they made me not want to play anymore. Plus the amount of times the game has you ride back and forth the same area (the area between Valentine and Emerald Ranch) was becoming unbearable. When a mission failed shows up because you took one step in a direction this open world game didn't want you to also makes you just want to turn it off. Online 7/10 its much faster paced which makes it more fun to play but theres barely anything to do, as all the fun stuff is behind a pay wall or hours of grinding so that too got dropped quite quickly.

• Like 1

I’m in chapter 6 been playing for a few dozen hours, I’d say it’s about a 6.5/10 on the boring scale. I’m still enjoying it, the gameplay isn’t very engaging at all but it’s just the feeling of being in this beautiful and incrdidbily detailed world that keeps me going. Also great characters and good story, but yea it’s definitely slow and boring sometimes and that is exactly what I need in gaming once in a while. Haven’t touched online yet

14 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

It never left me alone to actually play the game so I gave up with it. So I know enough. Plus it's my opinion.

Oh it sure does. But if you cant handle a prologue you should not play open world games. And your opinion really doesnt matter if you have only played the first chapter. Its just hilarious to find out. Thats my opinion

• Like 2

Singleplayer - 4/10

Sure there are some 'quiet' moments in the game but that's what I genuinly enjoy in games like this. It doesn't always have to be gunfights, worlds that collapse or monsters attacking you. The stillness of the wild west is really enjoyable in my opinion.

Multplayer - 10/10

Though I really enjoy the quitness in the singleplayer mode I HATE it in Online. Is it that different? No. But online is extremely empty when looking at wildlife and the overall world. In singleplayer you can stumble upon a lost hiker or find a deer in the woods but in online it's genuinly boring and really unrewarding (last time I played you barely got any moeny from killing animals and the missiosn weren't even worth playing since 1 gun was more expensive than what you'd earn after 10 missions).

Overall great singleplayer game that I haven't visited in a long time but surely will go back to some time to get my Platinum trophy! :)

Edited by its_ArchroniX