Opinions on "Easy" platinums.

DecSim01

8 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

This first paragraph of your post can also be said about Super Meat Boy, Crypt of The Necrodancer, Downwell etc., which also looks bad in a technical way, yet grants you a great amount of fun and skill demanding platinum. On the other hand you have Spyro The Dragon, which looks gorgeous and hands you a easy common plat. Graphics is sometimes important, but should never be an estimation if the game is good or bad.

Yes, this is absolutely true. However Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer and so on at least look like games which need a little RAM and a functioning sound processor. :)

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

Having less easy platinums is better. I fully understand the temptation to play an easier game as a break in between harder games, I've done that before.

I'd change that to a 50:50 ratio between easy 35+% & above, to stuff in the 25+% category & lower. Half of everything being common platinums just isn't all that great. I left 10 percent between 25 and 35. I actually found stuff that was a bit difficult at times despite having a higher rarity. Bloodborne is a good example. Other stuff was incredibly easy.

I compared this boundary to some of my platinums and these looks like good numbers. There's plenty of games sitting at 35% - 50% that are hardly challenging/time consuming like THE ORDER: 1886, BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME, GAME OF THRONES, MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN, HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE or LEGO games. And they sit at the same tier as Bloodborne which is undoubtly a hard platinum. Tier 25% - 35% contains games that are not too easy/quick, but not too hard/time consuming either such as HORIZON: ZERO DAWN, GOD OF WAR or ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY. I could even think about creating a new account following this rule, but I really don't want to do Super Meat Boy again.

The idea of introducing new rarity tier called "Slightly uncommon" (just like on PSNTL) with a rarity 35-50% wouldn't be a bad idea.

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power is generally criticized by people because it tried to be a real 3-D game that just didn't work. It's not as quick and easy as other games out there, since effort was actually put into the story and characters. Unlike most people I actually enjoy the Trine franchise, and I plan to do Trine 2: Complete Story & Trine 4: The Dark Prince in the near future.

I also don't think it's a bad game, but with its subpar reviews, I wasn't sure I want to buy it purely for fun, but I saw a platinum is easy, so I bought it when it was on sale. The trophy list is actually good as far as easy games go and titles who would like to hand an easy platinum should follow this rule. There's even plenty of Ratalaika Games which would be pretty enjoyable and worth buying if they had list like this.

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

A lot of those top "trophy whores" probably can't do those hard games from the early PS3 days. The PS3/360 generation also had a lot of tacked on multiplayer with absolutely ridiculous requirements. Street Fighter IV, Battlefield: Bad Company 1, Mortal Kombat (2011), Crysis 2 are just a few examples of games that required a TON of multiplayer. Street Fighter was also extremely difficult, those trials have been the bane of countless trophy hunters. Played the fourth game on the 360, gave up because it was too hard for me.

In the PS3 era it was more impressive to see somebody at the top of the leaderboards. Today it's just spending thousands of dollars to buy the cheapest, most pathetic piece of shit shovelware that some hack probably threw together in his garage in one weekend. The leaderboards is just a waste of time at this point.

I'm astounted how many trophy list in PS3 games revolved around multiplayer. Even mediocre games didn't hand platinum easily.

12 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Yes, this is absolutely true. However Super Meat Boy, Crypt of the Necrodancer and so on at least look like games which need a little RAM and a functioning sound processor. :)

For average casual gamer, they still look bad, so they automatically think they're bad, sadly. I had a few arguments with people IRL about this. For some people, it doesn't matter if the game is fun/hard, they just see bad graphics and state you play crap on your next-gen console. This is what annoys me about typical casual gamer.

3 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Tier 25% - 35% contains games that are not too easy/quick, but not too hard/time consuming either such as HORIZON: ZERO DAWN, GOD OF WAR or ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY.

Those three games can be argued as being a little time consuming. Although to be perfectly fair, a number of people regard games that take less than 100 hours to finish not that time consuming.

Horizon Zero Dawn took me 55 - 60 hours including all the DLC trophies. God of War 2018 is roughly 30 - 35 hours depending on how slow you play the game. Assassins Creed Odyssey is over 70 - 75 hours, probably easily 100+ hours with all it's DLC.

The idea of introducing new rarity tier called "Slightly uncommon" (just like on PSNTL) with a rarity 35-50% wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rather pointless to be honest. I like the rarity tiers the way they are on PSNProfiles.

I also don't think it's a bad game, but with its subpar reviews, I wasn't sure I want to buy it purely for fun, but I saw a platinum is easy, so I bought it when it was on sale. The trophy list is actually good as far as easy games go and titles who would like to hand an easy platinum should follow this rule. There's even plenty of Ratalaika Games which would be pretty enjoyable and worth buying if they had list like this.

Ratalaika Games just shoves out 10 - 11 gold trophy lists with a platinum, hence the title '15 minute plats'.

If they made trophy lists that actually had you playing those games to their end, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of those 'trophy whores' wouldn't ever bother to purchase the games. It's all about inflating the numbers, not about how much they enjoy the games because they're fun and have good gameplay.

I'm astounted how many trophy list in PS3 games revolved around multiplayer. Even mediocre games didn't hand platinum easily.

The PS3/360 generation was the first generation to really make console multiplayer a big deal. The PS2 era had rather simplistic, dated multiplayer for most games. Halo 2 was the best you got back in the day. Looking at that game now, it hasn't aged too well.

The quality and standards have dropped significantly since the early PS3 days of trophy hunting.

For average casual gamer, they still look bad, so they automatically think they're bad, sadly. I had a few arguments with people IRL about this. For some people, it doesn't matter if the game is fun/hard, they just see bad graphics and state you play crap on your next-gen console. This is what annoys me about typical casual gamer.

That's because those games never targeted the mainstream and the masses. The masses want the best looking AAA games in 60 FPS, 4K definition. Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Square and Bethesda cater to them.

Do you honestly think the average casual gamer is going to say Axiom Verge or Rogue Legacy look good? No. Axiom Verge is a 16 - bit era inspired game that borrows heavily from Super Metroid. The masses have moved on past those games a long time ago, they don't want crafty, neat little indie games, they want the AAA games in 4K definition.

I try to make the most out of both indies and AAA games.

Edited by Spaz

Personally, I view them as a pallete cleanser. They are often good if you only half 30 mins to play or after you have finished something else but aren't quite ready to go to sleep. I have also used them on occasion to hit targets but overall I'm not big on them. 

That being said, I don't have an issue with people who play easy games all the time. At the end of the day, I play games how I want and they can play games how they want. I am also not particularly into being a completionist, boosting, exclusively playing hard games, high ratio games or games of a specific genre only. But that doesn't matter. People play however works best for them. 

I have also had changes in my own playstyle over the years I think it just makes sense to focus on yourself rather than others. For example, I used to do difficult things in games and play basically everything on the hardest setting, but now as I get older and have less time & ability I stick to normal and rarely do anything above a 6/7 out of 10 in terms of challenge. 

There are two trophy hunting strategies I don't think I will ever personally understand though;

1) Playing through a game with a guide (I don't mean like collectables or missables or whatever or checking a specific thing, but literally a word for word guide)

2) Buying a Visual Novel but skipping all of the text 

Edited by Slayer1189
spelling

On 2/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, Nighcisama said:

I have nothing against easy plats, sure they do not have the bragging rights harder or really hard plats have, but most trophy hunters have a few of each plats anyway. I don't like how some people here seem to put easy games in the same category with trophy whore games. I personally think there are 5 kinds of trophies.

Insanely hard. The 10/10 difficulty trophies. Games that you need to be born for, or you have to invest tons of hours to even have the slightest chance. These are the Super Meat Boys, the Necrodancers or games with insane stipulations like the Mein Leben in Wolfenstein.

Hard. Games that are really challenging and need a lot of dedication and practice, but any normal human being can achieve them. Games like Furi come to mind, usually 7-9 difficulty.

Normal. Difficulty 4-6, the bread and butter of a trophy hunter. Most popular games fall in this category, some are a bit more challenging, some less.

Easy. Diffculty 1-3, those are not hard by any means, anyone can complete them sooner or later. The games are solid here though, even the short ones.

Trophy whore. Now these are the ones some of you mistake for easy trophies. These are trophies in crappy "games", games like My Name Is Mayo that anyone can see at first glance were only made with the sole purpose of selling a crappy plat to people. I kinda look down on these, but not if they only make up a small fraction in someones profil. There are various reasons someone could have ended up playing a few of these.

Whether I consider a profile impressive, decent or bad depends on how many of each trophies it contains. If you do not want to look into an account too deeply, then the average rarity in stats gives you a rough picture. My experience has told me that anyone who is above 50% rarity usually has his profile stuffed out with trophy whore games quite a bit, but still has many impressive games or decent games. Anyone over 60% I see usually is a full blooded trophy whore though, with a profile chock full of 2 hours or less plats and rather few normal games in comparison. No one should have any trouble staying between 40% and 50%. I am very impressed with anyone approaching 100 platinums who still is below 40%. I am currently below 40%, but I am nowhere near 100 platinums and won't be for a long time, especially not with the completionist ambition slowing be down even further.

Wow, this is so well said and pretty much echoes my thoughts. And I do agree that people tend to confuse the easy games with the trophy whore games.

I believe that gaming should be about games first and getting trophies in games you would be playing if there weren't trophies (although I do have a couple questionable games on my list). I usually judge a profile based on common platinums and if it makes up a considerable portion of the overall list than that hunter is a standardless bum to me. It is essentially paying for trophies and I feel confident that almost noone would buy any of the whore games if there were no trophies. 

However, this is just my opinion and everyone is free to do whatever they wish with their time and money.

• Like 2

I don't think it's cheating, but if the trophy collection mostly contains easy and very fast platinums then you can tell that the person just cherrypicks the games to rank up fast and that is not an impressive collection.

At the end of the day, people who cares about being on the leaderboard need those easy/fast games to remain on top, so I'm not judging them because the competition is what drives them. I'm not really competitive regarding trophies, so I go for plats and trophies from games I enjoy and think are worth my time whether they're easy, time consuming or hard. But I do like having atleast a few difficult plats in my collection, I like to play some harder games once in a while. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Don_carlito94 said:

I don't think it's cheating, but if the trophy collection mostly contains easy and very fast platinums then you can tell that the person just cherrypicks the games to rank up fast and that is not an impressive collection.

At the end of the day, people who cares about being on the leaderboard need those easy/fast games to remain on top, so I'm not judging them because the competition is what drives them. I'm not really competitive regarding trophies, so I go for plats and trophies from games I enjoy and think are worth my time whether they're easy, time consuming or hard. But I do like having atleast a few difficult plats in my collection, I like to play some harder games once in a while. 

Well said. I think this is the best approach to trophies.

I personally find an account wayyy more impressive if they have next to 0 easy ass platinums.

Going by general rarity on the "Stats" page is a great way to fish this out. Anything sub-40% tells me the person is really sticking with stuff that's pretty tricky for the most part and almost never partakes in the cupcakes. It 100% does cheapen an account if you start going through it and you see that they "achieved" things that 80-95% of people are capable of. You just went through the process of spending money to buy it? For example, I'm a huge fan of Nostalgy_Flow's (RIP CriveL20) account since that 23.05% rarity for his whole account blows my mind. Sure he's "only" level 24 but no one on the planet could make an argument someone Level 40+ with a bunch of 80%+ rarity plats has a "better" account. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just ask yourself 2 questions before reading or taking on consideration other people's opinions. 1.- ¿I am buying this game with my well earned money? 2.- ¿I like the game or it suits my playing style-trophy hunting style? If both of your answers are yes, then buy and play whatever you want and give 3 cents for opinions critizing you or your profile.

I don't like the Rat games or how they have made platinum hunting a joke. I will still play short/easy games if I am interested in them (I know it's kind of contradictory, but I mean I won't play the pay to plat games). I like looking at people's lists and I'm now less excited seeing the ones with a high number of plats because I can almost guarantee, it's gonna be nothing but Rat stacks.

I do like Disney, I do like kids games, and I do like the POWGI word games , I admit. Especially when I was looking to get to my #100 milestone. Now that I've hit that, I feel waaaaaay less drive to even go for plats, but we will see. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 0:56 AM, Spaz said:

A lot of those top "trophy whores" probably can't do those hard games from the early PS3 days. The PS3/360 generation also had a lot of tacked on multiplayer with absolutely ridiculous requirements. Street Fighter IV, Battlefield: Bad Company 1, Mortal Kombat (2011), Crysis 2 are just a few examples of games that required a TON of multiplayer. Street Fighter was also extremely difficult, those trials have been the bane of countless trophy hunters. Played the fourth game on the 360, gave up because it was too hard for me.

In the PS3 era it was more impressive to see somebody at the top of the leaderboards. Today it's just spending thousands of dollars to buy the cheapest, most pathetic piece of shit shovelware that some hack probably threw together in his garage in one weekend. The leaderboards is just a waste of time at this point.

Lol? I think you'll find that these "trophy whores" have completed many the type of game you described. I'm not in the top 50, but I have been called a trophy whore multiple times, so I'll give a few examples from my profile:

Just Dance 2015, Singstar (x4), Black Ops 3 (PS4), FIFA Street, Black Ops 2, ModNation Racers Roadtrip, Wipeout HD, Wipeout 2048 Crysis 2, GTA V (x2), AC Brotherhood - Shall I go on?

I'm sure if you check the likes of Roughdawg and Hakoom, they too have completed games like this.

• Like 1

I have no issue with easy plats and really don't look much at plats when looking at a person's profile.  To me what matters the most is that we're all having fun with gaming even if it may be frustrating at times when going after some of those harder trophies.

I personally like to mix up what I play and play some easy stuff at times for a quick completion and to get something off my backlog.  Other times I want to play a longer and more challenging game where I'll be satisfied when I finally earn those harder trophies and plats.  Both things are satisfying and fun to work towards.  I also see no point in judging someone else for their plats or lack of plats or what plats they got.  The only thing I look at with a profile is to see what someone's taste in games is and if we have common interests since I can find some fun games I've never heard of from other people's profiles.  I've found a lot of fun games I wouldn't have otherwise thanks to people on this site.

• Like 2

While I don't tend to play the intentionally easy titles for the most part, I do find that there are some decent enough easy games out there that I genuinely enjoyed and felt compelled to play regardless of its trophy list. Games like Reverie or some of the narrative-based titles such as Telltale's works tend to be a nice change of pace from lengthier and more challenging platinums. I personally prefer quality over quantity when it comes to obtaining platinums, but I maintain the belief that worthwhile easy games do exist amidst the sea of trophy whore titles, and I'm not ashamed of my 3 common platinums on this account. 

Edited by VoxAnimi

• 2 years later...

Nothing wrong with going for easy completions or playing short games but if you get to the point where you are not buying and playing games for fun then maybe it's time to stop and think about what you are doing and why. There is no fun to be had by text skipping through a visual novel or watching a burrito jump up and down while you smash the X button as fast as you can just so that you can put the game behind you and add another plat to the collection. If you are trying to tell yourself that you are having fun or finding the experience rewarding while doing this then maybe you have a problem.

It's super satisfying to 100% a game but there has to be another reason for playing it than earning the plat. 

• Like 1