Resistance 2 Cooperative campaign trophies

twinkidgamefreak

There is an offline co-op mode but it's borderline impossible to complete with just the 2 people you're allowed. Also note that the servers were terminated a few years back and rendered the Berserker, Killing Machine, Point Man and Team Player trophies unobtainable :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

On 10/02/2019 at 9:04 AM, HuntingFever said:

There is an offline co-op mode but it's borderline impossible to complete with just the 2 people you're allowed. Also note that the servers were terminated a few years back and rendered the Berserker, Killing Machine, Point Man and Team Player trophies unobtainable :(.

When you say it's borderline impossible to complete, how so?  2 people aren't enough?  I never played this when it was online still, but were more people allowed to play in coop at the time?  Like a team?  

I'm slowly working my way through remaining campaign trophies i need, then will be trying for these coop trophies, most likely with 2 controls if this is at all possible even?

8 hours ago, chiino82 said:

When you say it's borderline impossible to complete, how so?  2 people aren't enough?  I never played this when it was online still, but were more people allowed to play in coop at the time?  Like a team?  

I'm slowly working my way through remaining campaign trophies i need, then will be trying for these coop trophies, most likely with 2 controls if this is at all possible even?

Without a full team of 8 (which is impossible in local co-op due to being limited to 2 players), you won't last 5 seconds without getting torn apart by the enemies :(. I tried the local co-op version of the co-op mode and always died insanely quickly, because there was no backup to save my ass :(. If you're really good at this mode and it doesn't bug out (which it did a lot when the servers were still up) then you will stand a chance but if you're not, then you won't stand a chance in hell.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

7 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Without a full team of 8 (which is impossible in local co-op due to being limited to 2 players), you won't last 5 seconds without getting torn apart by the enemies :(. I tried the local co-op version of the co-op mode and always died insanely quickly, because there was no backup to save my ass :(. If you're really good at this mode and it doesn't bug out (which it did a lot when the servers were still up) then you will stand a chance but if you're not, then you won't stand a chance in hell.

Damn, that sucks.  Thanks for the info mate!

• 2 years later...

I'm so mad at myself for not buying this game when the servers were still up and I also want to smack my head against the wall for not keeping my save. Someone loaned me the game back in '09 and though I did get some of the coop trophies, I didn't max out the medic that I was playing or get all the intel. Bought the game recently to try and knock more trophies out and get as much as I can minus the competitive trophies. Since I deleted my save (didn't think I'd play this game again) I was starting over at the bottom. All I still need are the coop trophies that I mentioned already and the one for getting to rank 31. This is so damn grindy, I'm at rank 11 on my medic right now and wonder if I'll be able to keep up my motivation to get to 30. My husband and I have successfully played through a few coop games by ourselves, but it's definitely not easy.

Edit 3/21/21: Thinking of giving up with the intel trophy. I got through an Orick game by myself with two controllers but my god, it took forever! 

Edit: 4/6/21: Got my medic to 30 some time ago and I guess I'm still not giving up with the intel trophy. I'm currently at 7/12 for Bryce Canyon. This is the worst stage yet, solely due to those objectives where you have to defend those stupid NPC's that don't get behind cover. Fortunately I got lucky yesterday, played through 4 games without that objective coming up. I originally started playing coop as a medic while my husband played spec op, but during the Orick stage I switched over to a soldier. My soldier still hasn't hit level 10, but is very close. It's insane how long it takes to level up the soldier and spec op (currently level 16). Hoping that it won't take much longer to finish Bryce Canyon and hope that Holar Tower won't be a PITA.

Edited by AppleScruff88

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, chiino82 said:

Damn, that sucks.  Thanks for the info mate!

I made a post of my own experience so far with the coop, which I keep editing to show updates of my progress. It is possible to get through each stage by yourself with 2 controllers because I've done it myself (I can't comment on Holar Tower though since I haven't gotten there yet). It sure takes a hell lot of time though. I fortunately have my husband to help on a 2nd character at times which is speeding things up a bit more. One of us will always hang back in safety and just take turns running out and killing enemies. The invisibility berserk on the spec ops has come in handy many times whether it was to turn off the turrets or just bail out of a bad situation. I switch from a medic to soldier so I could play more offensively, but man his berserks suck. I'm looking forward to the 3rd one which reflects bullets but like I said, leveling up has been so slow I wonder if I'll even get it before finishing the coop.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The_Slugkiller said:

I completed the co-op trophies solo last year, so they can be done. I was going to post my observations, but didn't think anyone would be playing this after all these years 1f600.png

I played as a medic, with kinetic gloves and leech barrel upgrades. My alt used the spec-ops class, but it doesn't really matter what you choose as the only time you need it is to occasionally revive yourself or to open doors with the consoles.

The medic class uses the phoenix rifle to leech health from enemies, so it has infinite ammo and constantly heals you. With the leech barrel you can kill from farther away, but it still takes a long time to kill the larger enemies so be prepared for the long haul.

I did not use the other controller at all apart from reviving or using the consoles as it is not worth risking the other player getting killed and having to redo the level again.

I also noticed a bug while playing, but I'm not sure if it is helpful or not. If you play the campaign before playing co-op, it affects the xp rate in co-op. The total xp earned is the same though I think. If you play the campaign on Superhuman, save and then play co-op, the rate at which xp is earned goes up slowly compared to the rate it increases if you play the campaign on casual difficulty.

Whether or not it is quicker to kill the enemies, or it makes it easier I don't know, but it may be worth trying it out. Play the campaign on casual, save & quit and the play the co-op on normal.  I'd be interested to see if you think this makes any difference, or is it just the rate at which you earn xp that changes.

Thank you for sharing your observations and how you completed the co-op trophies. :)  This gives me even more encouragement. I completed 3 more missions yesterday so stand at 10/12 for Bryce Canyon. Hoping to complete this map/stage today and move onto Holar Tower. I got my soldier to level 10 now so at least I have the shield longer, but I'm disappointed that all the secondary weapons seem to be weaker versions of the ones you use in the solo campaign (The auger the soldier has, the shield barely lasts and the enemies don't become illuminated when shooting through a wall. The magnum the medic has takes more than one shot to kill a standard chimera, etc.) 

Unrelated to co-op, but would you be able to tell me how you got the Salute Me trophy (getting to rank 31 / lieutenant)? Did you farm xp somewhere? That's the last trophy I'll be going for after I'm done with co-op stuff. I think I'm only 23 right now.

Level 31 is around 7.4 million xp.  The best place to farm xp is in the campaign in the opening of the Chicago level with the grims. Play on Superhuman for the maximum xp. Pick up the splicer, then kill most of the grims, but let them kill you. Repeat this over and over for large amounts of xp.

Be careful though, as my game would freeze and crash every now and again, so only farm for a few minutes before exiting back to the main menu. You can then farm again for another few minutes. Be sure to back up your save too, just in case. It is boring and it takes time, but it's better to play it safe than farm for 10 minutes and have the game crash and lose the xp you've just earned.

I did this in between playing co-op and this is how I noticed the xp bug listed above. If I just loaded up the game and played co-op the xp rate was different than when I farmed xp in the campaign beforehand.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, AppleScruff88 said:

Also got Salute Me not much later. Done with trophies for this game. Really wish I had gone for plat while servers were up. Oh well.

Yeah Apple, it was a blast playing coop when servers were up. I played coop on R2 every day for several years until players starting hacking the games. But it was a good time while it lasted and I still have some good friends for those days of cooping...sure miss it. Always hoping that they would reboot or update the Resistance series...

• 1 year later...

Hi there, 

I have read all the info in this thread carefully and after getting all coop trophies except the online one, I've made a list of tips and useful info myself.

If you are one of the future players finding this, check it out here:

Spoiler

If you have any questions, contact me via PSN 

servus :) 

• Like 2