When does the game get good?

I've been playing Odyssey for a few hours most days of the week and nothing has really peaked since Episode 1. After each story quest the game makes you level up 1 to 2 levels. At first I thought it was reasonable until I saw how much xp you need to level up. I'm level 21 and it's almost 50,000 xp for level 22. I am enjoying the basic combat and setting, maybe I'm just still not used to AC being a JRPG. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skalesandfang101 said:

I've been playing Odyssey for a few hours most days of the week and nothing has really peaked since Episode 1. After each story quest the game makes you level up 1 to 2 levels. At first I thought it was reasonable until I saw how much xp you need to level up. I'm level 21 and it's almost 50,000 xp for level 22. I am enjoying the basic combat and setting, maybe I'm just still not used to AC being a JRPG. 

Honestly, it never really picks up the pace. It's always boring, flat, dull shit for 60 hrs. Then the game ends. That's the highlight, I'd say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valtekken173 said:

Honestly, it never really picks up the pace. It's always boring, flat, dull shit for 60 hrs. Then the game ends. That's the highlight, I'd say.

So.. why keep playing? Nobody is forcing you, right? Or the "dull shit" for 60 hours is worth just for that platinum? ofc 2/10 what can I say, hard af, don't sweat it.

• Like 3

I'm not a huge been a fan of the new RPG style the Assassin's Creed series has taken, I've always loved the "classic" AC style gameplay. After dragging myself through the boring grind that was Assassin's Creed Origins, I couldn't bring myself to purchase this one and do it again on a map that's even bigger lol. I wish you luck!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Except that glass ball would end up telling you this was one of the best games of 2018, you'd listen, play it and realize it's not for you. Why? Because it's just that...subjective. 

Don't sit here and make a thread asking "when does it get good?" when you can just realize that maybe it's just not a game for you. Most people loved Odyssey, myself included...I've put in over 160 hours and I'm not even close to being bored with it...I'm just at that impasse right now having to wait for the next DLC episode. Making a thread like this just makes you come off as egotistical...like you're trying to prove everyone wrong, even though you're in the minority among fans.

But because you seem to be fishing for it....when does it get good? Right from the get go. The game was incredible.

I always cringe when people start taking threads like this personal because they liked the game. Asking when the games starts to become less dull is a legit question. I remember playing Witcher 3 on release and finding the introduction to be very dull but once past that the game opened up and I've completed it couple of times since then. Maybe stop being emotional would be the first step to understand that.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 3:49 PM, DonGurke93 said:

I always cringe when people start taking threads like this personal because they liked the game. Asking when the games starts to become less dull is a legit question. I remember playing Witcher 3 on release and finding the introduction to be very dull but once past that the game opened up and I've completed it couple of times since then. Maybe stop being emotional would be the first step to understand that.

Jesus Christ, it's not an emotional response...get over yourself. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

I would say that's when the cultists start to appear bit it seems like you already reach them.

If the game doesn't picked your interest stop playing it. You are already level 21 and if you aren't having fun with it return it or leave it like if it never happened (just like I did with Darksiders 2).

9 hours ago, Splathew said:

Are you playing as Kassandra? If not start over...

This right here

10 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

So.. why keep playing? Nobody is forcing you, right? Or the "dull shit" for 60 hours is worth just for that platinum? ofc 2/10 what can I say, hard af, don't sweat it.

Who said I'm still playing it? I platted it and dropped it. I only pop the disc in when the extra title update stuff drops, get the related trophy and then pop the disc out once more. Right now I'm playing Uncharted 4's Survival mode.
EDIT: Oh, and I wanna add that, before you ask why I started playing in the first place, it's because I'm a long time fan of the series (in case my profile picture didn't give it away) and because I liked Origins even though it had some RPG elements. This one is a full blown RPG with choices in the story (which is completely antithetical to what AC is), and I had hoped that Ubisoft could manage to strike a good balance between RPG and AC formula like they did with Origins. They did not, and I was pretty much forced to play through a 60+ hr story that sucked massive dick in almost every aspect hoping that the next chapter would be better than the one I was playing (and that didn't happen either, so here I am shitting on the game for being a fucking chore to play).

Edited by Valtekken173
  • Like 2

I have finished the story yesterday and would like to share with you some thoughts.

The game is definitely not dull, but not RDR2 level intrigue but hey! no one expected it to be that way :)
Personally I have decided to play on Nightmare difficultly and it was a right decision I would say. Some bosses felt like (let Gods forgive me) so darsoulish that I was very impressed. Not every of them unfortunately are sharped to be what you people call "fair" on Nightmare difficulty, but I still enjoyed.
High level difficulty makes you use most of game mechanics and not just run into pack of mobs -> overpower shot -> next fort.

What I would like to add, IMHO, the world felt a bit too big. I am not saying that it is a bad thing, but developers could have used it in benefit of the game not visa versa. It really felt as it was just cluttered with ? marks just to be cluttered. Some of them were very nice (I refer to one that

Spoiler

had alpha animal a chicken

, it made me smile) but most were repetitive. If they have cut the number of those by 1/3 it would be very nice. May be it is just me, but it was really hard to run past locations and not to explore the ? mark and finish every side quest out there due to little OCD I have.

In the end I like to say that I will continue playing until I get my plat and finish all available free DLC trophies, but unfortunately for now I am not considering to buy season pass as I need to have a good brake from the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

This is what happens when you buy a game because it's easy, so let's skip the entirely of the game and get the platinum as fast as possible, so mutch fun! I wish it was locked behind every ? mark or just harder in any way, that way this kind of topics would disappear.

Why buy a game just to skip it? for trophies? Smh.

Let the white knights come defend this "player".

Yikes. I've only been skipping the side quest dialogue every now and then lol. I don't want to rush this game - sure it's repetitive, but I know that considering Ubisoft made it. Sure, I love myself a quick platinum but I knew this game is about 80 - 100 hours, and then I also have all the DLC. Nobody asked you to come here and be a complete twat. There's plenty of good games out there I want to play for fun while not bothering about trophies like Persona 5 and Red Dead 2. 

19 hours ago, Splathew said:

Are you playing as Kassandra? If not start over...

I chose Kassandra, what makes it better to play as Alexios? 

19 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

Nobody is forcing me at all, I could drop it but I am invested enough to keep going. Apart from Chronicles since I haven't found a physical cheap copy yet, I want to platinum every AC game, so I do need to do this one. I'd say some dull moments between quests (not to mention the long load times, even my pro still takes awhile, which sucks since fast travel is really useful) are worth it for that platinum. The skill trees are a lot of fun though :)

Edited by Skalesandfang101

On 2/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, Skalesandfang101 said:

When does the game get good? Is quite a leading question, is the answer is subjective to everybody.

However, as a massive fan of AC over the years, even with a forearm logo tattoo and "niente e vero, tutto e permesso" I will give my honest outlook.

The wife and I play the AC games together as Origins and Odyssey are so big, we take turns. I do the story stuff and harder forts and side stories etc, she enjoys scavenging, killing animals and mroe basic missions. Works well between us!

With Odyssey, we both struggled initially, especially on Kephallonia to get into the game. It seemed frustrating, enemies felt overpowered and the story was lacking a little.

However, around the time we got to level 10-12 it started getting a lot more interesting. Certainly, when the Cult of Kosmos was unearthed - we are both well into this game now. So it just takes a little time to get into it. Loving it now.

I will say Kassandra is absolutely fantastic, and I'm glad we chose her to start from. She's a very interesting character. Alexios, who we've met along the story, is dull and stereotyped.

One of my highlights is the "romance" option. I'm a straight male, so clearly I've made Kassandra a lesbian :D And she's very forward!

I suggest maybe play a bit more of the game and if nothing really changes or peaks your interest the game simply might not be for you, for me personally this game was good from the moment I started playing. 

Edited by Cerulean3

I'm too far in to quit now, but I have to say that I'm definitely not enjoying Odyssey nearly as much as I enjoyed Origins. In Sequence 7 atm and the story has yet to grip me. I'm basically just playing the game still because the scenery is gorgeous and I like exploring (even though I'll agree with some of you that the game world is just a bit too big). But, all the heart and passion I felt playing through Origins just isn't there again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pnepnepne said:

When does the game get good? Is quite a leading question, is the answer is subjective to everybody.

However, as a massive fan of AC over the years, even with a forearm logo tattoo and "niente e vero, tutto e permesso" I will give my honest outlook.

The wife and I play the AC games together as Origins and Odyssey are so big, we take turns. I do the story stuff and harder forts and side stories etc, she enjoys scavenging, killing animals and mroe basic missions. Works well between us!

With Odyssey, we both struggled initially, especially on Kephallonia to get into the game. It seemed frustrating, enemies felt overpowered and the story was lacking a little.

However, around the time we got to level 10-12 it started getting a lot more interesting. Certainly, when the Cult of Kosmos was unearthed - we are both well into this game now. So it just takes a little time to get into it. Loving it now.

I will say Kassandra is absolutely fantastic, and I'm glad we chose her to start from. She's a very interesting character. Alexios, who we've met along the story, is dull and stereotyped.

One of my highlights is the "romance" option. I'm a straight male, so clearly I've made Kassandra a lesbian :D And she's very forward!

*"Nulla è reale, tutto è lecito"