My extra crispy 2019 Platinum playlist

Crispy_Oglop

1 hour ago, malachi1987 said:

That's a tall order you got there and wish you the best. Got alot of good titles that will keep you occupied 

Thanks @malachi1987!

Already landing an update haha:

Platinum #100 - Resident Evil 2 Remake

1L51af80.png

'Raccoon City Native'

We only just started the year and I already experienced a game that could be my potential GOTY. I loved every minute of this game and there were some segments that really brought back memories from when I played the original years ago. I think my favourite storyline was Claire's, she was so much better than Leon, even though Leon was pretty cool as it stands. I also got the first 2019 gaming feat that i'm really happy with - which was to get S+ Rank on Standard & Hardcore difficulty across all playhroughs.

9ft3DXl.jpg

I can't wait for the free story DLC that's coming out this year, it'll be great to see some of the events that occurred outside of the adventures of Leon and Claire.

Platinum #101 - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

1La1d567.png

'BFA Unlocked EVERYTHING'

I really enjoyed the Zelda-like mechanics of this game, mixed with some hack n' slash combat and light RPG mechanics. The art style is probably one of my favourite as it's also by one of the all-time greatest comic book artists - Joe Madueira ( or -Joe MAD!- as he signs his art). The story is interesting and everything feels chunky and heavy, like you are playing with your favourite action figure as a kid. The music is truly epic and it also has Mark Hamill rolling up as The Watcher.

Platinum #102 - Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition

1L145b0a.png

'BFA Unlocked Everything'

This one seemed to be a little more divisive than the 1st game. The Zelda-like mechanics were still there, but they really opened up the RPG elements by bringing in stat based gear and weaponry. Also the game is massive, there are side missions, mini-dungeons and distractions, all woven into the main overworld. When I first played this, I actually wasn't a fan, the visual aspect of it is much much darker, it feels less like you are playing a comic book that's come to life like in the first one. It took me a few tries where I'd pick it up, then drop it, then pick it up again only to drop it once more. But eventually it stuck and by the end of it, I loved it. Michael Wincott is the voice of Death in this game. He was the main villain in the 90's movie 'The Crow' (the one where Bruce Lee's son - Brandon Lee died on set). He was also the space pirate captain in Alien:Resurrection and the only cool bit of that movie imo. All in all, I loved the extra depth that Darksiders 2 had on offer and there were some truly great set pieces and boss fights in there.

Platinum #103 - Darksiders 3

1L8ae90c.png

'BFA Unlocked Everything'

Whoa now, this one took a very different turn to it's predecessors mechanically. While Darksiders 2 iterated on what was built in Darksiders, the third installment went in a completely different direction - in that it lifted a huge amount of influence from an unrelated franchise - Dark Souls. It seems to have completely divided fans because of that. It's technical stabilty and graphical fidelity are a little sub-par - possibly because this was developed by a largely different group on a smaller budget - you can really see that it is sometimes with lock ups due to load times, pop-in issues in cutscenes and some texturing problems. I really like Dark Souls mechanics, so I took to this quite easily. It might look a bit rough sometimes and it's definitely a much much smaller adventure in comparison to Darksiders 2, but in my opinion it hands-down had the best story, dialogue, music and Horseman of the entire franchise so far. Plus, we actually get to see Strife, fully rendered as an actual character model who I've been waiting to play since I saw his silhouette in the first game.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Platinum #104 - Metro: Last Light

1L7c5824.png

'Platinum Trophy. Get all trophies'

I wanted to get this done in time for Metro: Exodus. I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic world and Metro was a really interesting spin on the genre. The survival elements were really engaging and the game world was very interesting, mainly because it was a location other than somewhere in America. I liked the idea that remnants of the Communist and Nazi army were also stuck down in the tunnels and this underlying supernatural element with the Dark Ones and the Anomalies that would show up at points in the story. I'm super psyched for the next game now!

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Platinum #105 - Far Cry 5

1L66b132.png

'We always had faith in you'

It took me probably 6 tries picking this game up and putting it down before it clicked with me and I stuck through it to completion. By the time the Platinum popped i was really invested in all of the characters and the plot. The 'true ending' was pretty cool too and really set the scene for FC: New Dawn. The game was glitchy at times and the co-op host/guest set up was a little bit of a pain but the game environment, music and activities were all fun and engaging in my opinion. Now that I'm done, i'm actually missing some of the characters.

In terms of the Far Cry Arcade mode, I will say, i'm not usually a fan of these bolted on Multiplayer modes that Ubisoft seem to do quite a bit. But FC Arcade is incredibly fun to play. Now the games been out a while there is so much content and user content to experience. I played some genuinely inventive and creative player made maps.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

18 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Are you going to finish off the Zombies DLC and do a NG+ run to get 100%? If so, I wish you luck! Make sure you use the mars weapons on your NG+ run.

I might come back to it for that eventually, I heard the alien weapons make NG+ a much smoother experience :) Might just be me though, but it feels a bit odd for there to be a NG+ for this particular game, not sure why it feels weird. I dig that Zombie DLC though so at the very least I'll mop up those last two trophies later on in the year.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I might come back to it for that eventually, I heard the alien weapons make NG+ a much smoother experience :) Might just be me though, but it feels a bit odd for there to be a NG+ for this particular game, not sure why it feels weird. I dig that Zombie DLC though so at the very least I'll mop up those last two trophies later on in the year.

I recently 100%'d the game and let me tell you the NG+ feature is utterly pointless. You start off with all your old skill points and all previously completed challenges still completed. Because of this I didn't get any new challenges, therefore I didn't get any new skill points so my build was the exact same as it was in the normal play through. I suppose I could have tried to get new challenges but on Infamous difficulty I just wanted it to be over and done with and didn't want to spend any more time on it than I had to.

I'm getting a little tired of the NG+ trophy DLC fad that's happening now. I still have Horizon and Last of Us to go back to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I recently 100%'d the game and let me tell you the NG+ feature is utterly pointless. You start off with all your old skill points and all previously completed challenges still completed. Because of this I didn't get any new challenges, therefore I didn't get any new skill points so my build was the exact same as it was in the normal play through. I suppose I could have tried to get new challenges but on Infamous difficulty I just wanted it to be over and done with and didn't want to spend any more time on it than I had to.

I'm getting a little tired of the NG+ trophy DLC fad that's happening now. I still have Horizon and Last of Us to go back to.

Yeah, it's a bit if a bandwagon now for sure. I'm the same with Horizon, which i'll probably pick up again to clear once the inevitable sequel is close.

Platinum #106 - Far Cry: New Dawn

1L2aee11.png

Conqueror

I loved every minute of this, it's a little smaller than the game world of it's predecessor - Far Cry 5 - but it's a really interesting world that builds on the aftermath of the true ending of FC5. I thought the looter shooter elements really worked well and it's definitely something i'd like Ubisoft to use in Far Cry 6. I really liked FC 5 so it was also really interesting to go back into the locations from the previous game buy aged and far into the future. I also found this a really satisfying Platinum.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

This year (so far), I'm trying to get through games that have been on my "shelf" for a looong time. I just platinumed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/War... with the ultimate goal of being in the mood for The Witcher 3 right afterward. So, after FCNew Dawn, I'm going to finally get into and 100%...

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Assassin's Creed II

" Brotherhood

" Revelations

" III Remastered

" IV Black Flag

" Rogue Remastered

" Unity

" Syndicate

" Origins

" Odyssey

And I'm not going to try to plan after that because it'll most definitely change when I get to the end of AC. If I'm still in the mood for a period-piece action game, Bloodborne. If I'm not, maybe NFS haha. Who knows

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bschwarz95 said:

This year (so far), I'm trying to get through games that have been on my "shelf" for a looong time. I just platinumed Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor/War... with the ultimate goal of being in the mood for The Witcher 3 right afterward. So, after FCNew Dawn, I'm going to finally get into and 100%...

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Assassin's Creed II

" Brotherhood

" Revelations

" III Remastered

" IV Black Flag

" Rogue Remastered

" Unity

" Syndicate

" Origins

" Odyssey

And I'm not going to try to plan after that because it'll most definitely change when I get to the end of AC. If I'm still in the mood for a period-piece action game, Bloodborne. If I'm not, maybe NFS haha. Who knows

Nice list and congrats on the Middle Earth plats! I'm a huge fan of the AC franchise :) Currently waiting for all of the DLC to come out for Odyssey so I can jump back in there. It also completely crept up on me but the AC III & Liberation remasters are coming out soon too! I loved Witcher 3 and have no idea why i never finished the story in Blood & Wine, I was going to add that to my list this year too, but it's one of my most beloved games, so I think an entire playthrough would do it more justice.

Ah, I remember planning out my 100th platinum too.  I want it to be HZD and was short of a couple games before release.  Those were Hitman go and TR go but I was still short of one more.  Sony put up a sale and saw LIS1 for $6.  Plat #99 went from been there as filler to been one of my favorite games. ?

Wanted 125 to be GOW4 but while I was playing TWD3 I forgot I was on 124 and not 123 ? so yeah, hope 150 will be either an exclusive or other special like KH3 for example.

Wishlist/ interest for 2019:

KH3 

Metro Exodus 

Episode Ardyn 

Days Gone 

A plague tale: innocence 

Control

E3 will show other half.

Edited by Vizard-Ichigo--
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, camcan98 said:

Sekiro definitely holds most my interest. I caved and bought the CE, anything from...From is always at the top of my list.

Days Gone and Dying Light 2 also have my eye. Just a bit anxious they might be duds, but fingers crossed they're amazing.

I'm a bit cautious around Days Gone too tbh, it looks interesting and the bike maintenance and care aspects really interest me. Definitely going to keep my ear to the ground before release though. I'm a little more confident in Dying Light 2, unless they've changed up the gameplay itself entirely. If it's more of the same, i'm in.

Sekiro has huge potential I reckon, also good lord - the PS4 collector's edition for it is intense lookin'.

sekiro-shadows-die-twice-limited-edition

8 hours ago, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

Ah, I remember planning out my 100th platinum too.  I want it to be HZD and was short of a couple games before release.  Those were Hitman go and TR go but I was still short of one more.  Sony put up a sale and saw LIS1 for $6.  Plat #99 went from been there as filler to been one of my favorite games. 1f44d.png

Wanted 125 to be GOW4 but while I was playing TWD3 I forgot I was on 124 and not 123 1f602.png so yeah, hope 150 will be either an exclusive or other special like KH3 for example.

Wishlist/ interest for 2019:

KH3 

Metro Exodus 

Episode Ardyn 

Days Gone 

A plague tale: innocence 

Control

E3 will show other half.

I discovered A Plague tale last night while idling on YouTube, it looks really really interesting. I may give this a look!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I'm a bit cautious around Days Gone too tbh, it looks interesting and the bike maintenance and care aspects really interest me. Definitely going to keep my ear to the ground before release though. I'm a little more confident in Dying Light 2, unless they've changed up the gameplay itself entirely. If it's more of the same, i'm in.

Sekiro has huge potential I reckon, also good lord - the PS4 collector's edition for it is intense lookin'.

sekiro-shadows-die-twice-limited-edition

I discovered A Plague tale last night while idling on YouTube, it looks really really interesting. I may give this a look!

I saw the PS4 CE and damn...if that isn't the sexiest console I ever seen.

Yeah, I'm cautious about Days Gone, the trailers look interesting but some of the gameplay I seen looks drab and somewhat uninspired. I feel like there's little depth to combat. But I can't judge until I am shown the whole system. I'm definitely gonna have to check metacritic before making a purchase on this one.

Edited by camcan98
Expand my reply, didn't want to double post.

Platinum #107 - Metro Exodus

1L82985c.png

'Platinum Trophy'

Props to the studio who made this for taking a risk and bringing open world elements to the franchise. Some really great set pieces and locations combined with some claustrophobic scavenging gameplay that we know and love. I was impressed by how beautiful they managed to make the open environments and I spent a fair amount of time just taking pictures of things. The game is not without it's flaws, some of the dialogue feels a bit forced and the character movements can sometimes come across as really over the top - e.g when a character is angry or shouting, they will wave their arms around constantly and it can look a bit weird.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Platinum #108 - The Council

1Ld0f077.png

'Knight of the Golden Order'

This was an episodic story driven game which sees you spending time on a mysterious island with a group of historical figures and guests all brought together under one roof. You are some kind of investigator on the trail of your mother who appears to have gone missing on the island. It's pretty interesting and the game layers in some light RPG style mechanics - you can choose a 'class' at the beginning of the game which unlocks different questioning opportunities as you play. Each episode is broken into segments or 'quests' which when completed you get experience which you can use to spend on upgrading conversational talents. It's all really stylised which I liked and it's a pretty low intensity platinum too. Worth a try if you liked some of the stuff the now dead Telltale studios pushed out.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum #109 - Assassin's Creed III remaster

1L0dbab4.png

Master Assassin

I remember playing this back on PS3 when it first came out and that I wasn’t a fan right away. But playing it through again now I think i’ve appreciated it more, maybe because I’m not coming right out of the Ezio trilogy like I had before. The story is compelling and the characters really nuanced. There is a lot of understated storytelling too and props to Ubisoft for trying some new things with the gameplay.  I did find the mini-games ranging from mildly interesting to frustrating, especially as they were hardwired to trophies.

Technically there were still some of the old glitches and bugs present from when I played it back in the day, but overall it did feel a little more polished on the stability front than I remember.

I thought Connor had a really tragic story arc, not only was he facing the adversity of the Templars, but he was also facing the eviction of his entire culture. I came out of the game feeling crap really. Probably the least uplifting Assassin’s Creed game I’ve played so far.

It’s also the first time I played the DLC which is a bit of an off-shoot DLC as far as story content goes, the whole thing is a ‘what if George Washington was a bit of a dick’ scenario. All in all, I really enjoyed this one. I’d still love to see some content revolving around Achilles though.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

Platinum #110 - Assassin's Creed: Liberation remaster

1Ld35cd9.png

Julius Caesar

This one was actually a bit of a bonus in that it was bundled in with the AC 3 Remaster, it's a much more compact AC adventure because of it's handheld origins, but the core gameplay is all there. I really liked how you had 3 different personas in this game - the Wealthy lady, the Assassin and the Slave - each with their own advantages and disadvantages. The precursor/modern day stuff still felt a little bit tacked on but that seems to be the trend in AC games now prior to Origins and Odyssey.

The game looks surprisingly nice but coming straight from AC3 you can really notice a difference in the production values around sound design. The music is very basic and feels quite low budget. I ended up turning the music off and playing different AC music in the background for ambience. 

Aveline as a character is pretty cool, she doesn't have as epic a journey as her peers in that the threats and mysteries were very localised and cosy, especially if you compare it to Kassandra in Odyssey. She does get to go on a mission with Connor at one point which was kind of funny as the voice actor who did Connor was clearly phoning it in. Other than that, it was an enjoyable game with a few forgivable flaws.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Platinum #111 - Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

1L9e41ed.png

Prizes, Plunder & Adventure!

This really ranked high for me in terms of best Assassin's Creed games out of the franchise so far. The caribbean setting is really beautiful and a big contrast to the snow and cold that AC 3 had on show a great deal. Edward Kenway had a really enjoyable character journey starting out as rogueish privateer turned pirate and ending up becoming a man of purpose and means. Gameplay-wise, it was very similar to AC 3 apart from the fact that they blew open the sea combat and exploration even more. It was a really satisfying gameplay loop to take down ships and assimilate them into your fleet as well as to absorb materials from them into levelling your own vessel up. If you put enough time and resources into building up your ship you end up with this super lethal mini-warship that can take anything down.

There was also a homebase of sorts - a very small version of the homestead in AC3. It felt like a bit of an afterthought though. I don't think I returned to my little town more than twice in the entire game, and even then that was just for storyline and to clear the homestead upgrade trophy. This for me was one of the nicest looking AC games in it's day, before the visuals of Origins and Odyssey turned up.

The multiplayer was actually incredibly fun too, I went into it feeling apprehensive at the grind ahead of me and thought the servers would be dead. But to my surprise there are quite a few people still playing and I enjoyed every minute of playing and levelling up. It felt far far less glitchy to me than AC3 too, even though both games were developed at the same time (just released in different times).

One negative i had for the game was that the Assassination missions got really repetitive. There wasn't really any story to them and with the berserk blowdart there was virtually no challenge. Find person > hit with blow dart > wait for them to die > mission complete. I also found some of the jumps were a little tricky in terms of collision, there were some small steps that Edward really had trouble getting over. But all in all, glitches and quirks aside, I loved this game. It's right there next to Odyssey and AC Brotherhood in terms of personal favourites.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #112 - Rage 2

1L3c61d8.png

Post-Post-Apocalyptic Poster Child

If you go into this game expecting any kind of refined storytelling, you will be disappointed. It has a very very light and basic story premise. But while the story doesn't have much going for it, I found the world to be honestly one of the most beautiful i've encountered and the gameplay is incredibly fun. For me, it holds some of the finest gun combat i've ever played in a game. If you just want to switch off and dip into a gameplay loop of - 1. Go to map point, 2. kill everything in map point, 3. loot everything in map point - then you'll probably enjoy it. The map is loaded with points of interest, but they can become repetitive unless you just want to lose yourself in killing and collecting.

I found the car gameplay to be really fun and the main vehicle feels a tiny bit like the Batmobile from Arkham Knight once it's fully upgraded which really sat well with me. I thought that the other available vehicles were interesting, but the game never really promoted you to drive something different apart from one point towards the end and a bike which you unlock that's needed for a particular trophy. There was alot of potential wasted here I thought.

Overall I really enjoyed this game even though it had some big flaws. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the title with the DLC roadmap they have planned.