visighost

Vita Japan exclusive recommendations

10 posts in this topic

I’m going to Japan soon and am looking to pick up some exclusives for the Vita. I was thinking of Taiko no Tatsujin and a few of the smaller Steins;Gate games but am looking for more recommendations.

I read Japanese, have diverse tastes, and am looking for actually good games, not trophy fodder.

Thanks!

Definitely grab Taiko, that's a great version of it imo. Also IA/VT Colorful, top rhythm game that one.

JPN region has a vita version of Puyo Puyo Tetris. You have to 100% story mode legit on that one thanks to being locked out of the DLC but the game being on a handheld takes the edge off the retries.

I really liked World Trigger Borderless Mission which is a combination of 3D shooting & melee action with really high floaty jumps and plenty of time spent in the air. It feels a bit 'early-3D' but it's not bad at all. There's a difficulty spike or two & for the trophies you have to do all the side missions in online co-op & have to be hosting for it to count so fair warning there.

Ukiyo no Roushi is a way of the samurai type game, can't say too much about it 'cause I've only fired it up to try for an hour or so but it felt really smooth & looked great. Very long road to a platinum for this one by the looks of things.

Uppers is a pretty good beatemup but it's coming out on ps4. Sengoku Otome & Mahouka Out of Order are arena fighters that might be worth looking into, they're rough around the edges but I had an alright time with them. Getting into dodgy territory here but there's the Yuki Yuna & Madoka Magica games for some kind of beatemup action, haven't tried the latter but do own it. Yuki Yuna sucks TBH but I liked a few things about it that kept me going (couple of the music tracks are really good) and it's playable enough that I'd call it bakage rather than kusoge.

I have but haven't started To Love Ru Battle Darkness Ecstasy, looks like a pretty reasonable third person action dungeon crawler.

I've also done Cross Ange & Hello Kitty Block Crash, neither of which I recommend!

Oh forgot to mention Bullet Girls 1 & 2 as well as Gun Gun Pixies. I've only platinumed Gunpix & it was hell to rush through but would be pretty enjoyable doing it over a few weeks. Prospective Gunpix players can hit me up for a trophy guide.

There are a bunch of Mech games as well, dunno much about those unfortunately but hopefully there's something of interest in the suggestions above. I made an effort to collect every action-game import title on vita I could find (except mech stuff). A lot of it ended up coming out in english but there are still a bunch of titles that've stayed over in Japan, at one point I stopped paying attention though so It'd be interested to know if there's anything I've overlooked since.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I’ll definitely look those up. Bookoff Online makes it super convenient to shop for second hand games, and there’s a ton of small used game stores close to where I am. Will let you know if I find anything!

If I could read Japanese, I would buy all the visual novels and anime based games available.

For rhythm games, in addition to the ones mentioned and if you like anime then Miracle Girls Festival is super fun (uses the Hatsune Miku engine), and there's also Idolmaster Must Songs Red & Blue Board (uses the Taiko engine I believe).  There's also the three volumes of Love Live but they are light on content as well Uta Kumi 575 and Hideboh Tap Dance Hero.

If you haven't gotten the Asian English versions then the Super Robot Wars, Gundam Breaker and the SD Gundam series are great.

For fan service dungeon crawlers there is the Genkai Tokki series, Omega Labyrinth (original or Z) and Dungeon Travellers 2-2.

And lastly, there's the Phantasy Star series.

These are just the ones off the top of my head that I would get and love to play, no guarantee that they are amazing games though.

3 hours ago, visighost said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I’ll definitely look those up. Bookoff Online makes it super convenient to shop for second hand games, and there’s a ton of small used game stores close to where I am. Will let you know if I find anything!

No worries, that was just some stuff off the top of my head & thankfully ccase137 has since filled in most of the blanks. I can vouch for Miracle Girls Festival it's just like having a bonus Miku game, very playable & happy. I can't believe I forgot to mention Hideboh. That's a really cool touch screen rhythm title that gets quite tricky on the hard difficulties, a lot of the music was really good & there are even bonus videos you can watch of Hideboh tapping like a mad fella, he's crazy good. I thought the Uta Kumi 575 one was pretty cool but you might get more out of it than me, I can't read Japanese to save my life. Haven't spent much time with those Idol Master Taiko games but it's the same great gameplay as before. I also did those Love Live games, for me that was some early stage trophy whoring. They're playable but not that smooth. There's also Bakamatsu Rock, I find that music hard to swallow & not a big fan of the game overall but I think with that most of the rhythm games have been covered.

Also forgot to mention Darius Burst & Sayonara Umihara Kawase. These have limited western releases but the Japanese ones are probably cheaper to get. Also that physical version of Airship Q which is probably nice & cheap. I think most of it's probably going to be pretty cheap when you've got that kind of access to those stores (lucky!!).

*Edit* Twice now I've forgotten to mention Girls & Panzer. Very playable tank action game & it's kind of expensive online everywhere I've seen it so if you can find that for a good price I'd say go for it!

Edited by readytofuky

I'd suggest Time Travelers. It's cheap and if you were to pick it up used, even cheaper. It's a 100% cinematic VN by Level-5, written by Jirō Ishii. It's incredible and a shame not to have been localised, because the mystery plot and multiple characters that you get to follow throughout that one day were made to appeal to a broad audience. TT is also on 3DS and PSP but I found that it plays better on VITA than on PSP due to the bigger screen and crisper visuals. 

Maybe (admittedly, this is a huge maybe) also give the 2 雷子 games a look. I love the series (strategy/simulation meets bloody murder of the 3 kingdoms) but with only 2 games of the saga out (that aren't available on PSN anymore) and Klon dead, the overall series is incomplete.

Be careful about BookOff and second hand games in general. Like Blockbuster and Gamestop in the west, even BookOff doesn't sell as many used games as they did before. Some stores in Japan don't do PS3 secondhand anymore and the Vita section is sometimes tiny if at all.

I've bought a lot of secondhand games on Vita from BookOff but lately I've found many older difficult games to find at all, or worse, they are there, but they are practically full price even at second hand.

I'd also recommend Puyo Puyo Tetris, but again it took me a while of continually going around various BookOffs around Tokyo visiting the same places every week to two to actually find it.

The place to go is Akihabara as they have a BookOff near the station and many other second hand stores that sell Vita games close by.

Edited by enaysoft

Dungeon Travelers 2-2 for sure, and Dungeon Travelers 1. Both never got english releases. DT2 was very enjoyable and i almost want to learn japanese just for those games.

9 hours ago, ccase137 said:

If I could read Japanese, I would buy all the visual novels and anime based games available.

For rhythm games, in addition to the ones mentioned and if you like anime then Miracle Girls Festival is super fun (uses the Hatsune Miku engine), and there's also Idolmaster Must Songs Red & Blue Board (uses the Taiko engine I believe).  There's also the three volumes of Love Live but they are light on content as well Uta Kumi 575 and Hideboh Tap Dance Hero.

If you haven't gotten the Asian English versions then the Super Robot Wars, Gundam Breaker and the SD Gundam series are great.

For fan service dungeon crawlers there is the Genkai Tokki series, Omega Labyrinth (original or Z) and Dungeon Travellers 2-2.

And lastly, there's the Phantasy Star series.

These are just the ones off the top of my head that I would get and love to play, no guarantee that they are amazing games though.

i can't read any japanese would i enjoy the idolmaster must songs? only taiko ive played was in yakuza 5 but i'm familiar with it, it should just be menu navigation would be the only thing id have an issue with correct?

Edited by DEI2EK

2 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Be careful about BookOff and second hand games in general. Like Blockbuster and Gamestop in the west, even BookOff doesn't sell as many used games as they did before. Some stores in Japan don't do PS3 secondhand anymore and the Vita section is sometimes tiny if at all.

I've bought a lot of secondhand games on Vita from BookOff but lately I've found many older difficult games to find at all, or worse, they are there, but they are practically full price even at second hand.

I'd also recommend Puyo Puyo Tetris, but again it took me a while of continually going around various BookOffs around Tokyo visiting the same places every week to two to actually find it.

The place to go is Akihabara as they have a BookOff near the station and many other second hand stores that sell Vita games close by.

Thanks. I just did a scan for everyone's recommendations on their site and indeed a lot are fairly pricey. I'm not going to pay over 2000yen for a game... I'll look at Yahoo Auctions, Mandarake, Amazon and Rakuten as well, who knows... There's a lot of options online!

Puyo Puyo seems to be in stock used at Amazon (1700yen), Rakuten (2153yen) and Bookoff (2549yen).

I'll be in Nagoya, not Tokyo, so there isn't really as much of a hub to go to, but Osu isn't half bad!

If anyone's interested, here's the list of Japanese names of the games that have been recommended up to now as well as the price they go for on Bookoff.

Spoiler

IA/VT Colorful 2480yen
ワールドトリガー ボーダレスミッション 2280yen
憂世ノ浪士 980yen
Uppers 980yen
戦国乙女 2280yen
魔法科高校の劣等生 Out of Order 1980yen
結城友奈は勇者である 樹海の記憶 3980yen
バレットガールズ 980yen
バレットガールズ2 3580yen
バレットガールズ ファンタジア 4980yen
魔法少女まどか☆マギカ The Battle Pentagram 3180yen
To LOVEる-とらぶる- ダークネス トゥループリンセス 4280yen
ToLOVEる‐とらぶる‐ ダークネス バトルエクスタシー 1980yen
Miracle Girls Festival 1980yen
アイドルマスター マストソングス 青盤 980yen
アイドルマスター マストソングス 赤盤 1580yen
うた組み575 698yen
Hideboh タップダンス Hero 980yen
第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 天獄篇 1980yen
第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 時獄篇 980yen
スーパーロボット大戦V 3580yen
スーパーロボット大戦X 4580yen
スーパーロボット大戦OGサーガ 魔装機神Ⅲ PRIDE OF JUSTICE 698yen
ラブライブ!School idol paradise Vol.3 lily white 1280yen
ラブライブ!School idol paradise Vol.2 BiBi 1280yen
ラブライブ!School idol paradise Vol.1 Printemps 1280yen
幕末Rock 698yen
エアシップQ 698yen
ガールズ&パンツァー 戦車道、極めます! 3980yen
雷子 1280yen
雷子-紺碧の章- 3580yen
界凸旗 セブンパイレーツ 1980yen
オメガラビリンス 2980yen
オメガラビリンスZ 2680yen
ファンタシースター ノヴァ 698yen
タイムトラベラーズ 980yen
さよなら 海腹川背 ちらり 2280yen
真・ガンダム無双 2980yen
SDガンダム Gジェネレーション ジェネシス 2680yen
ガンダムブレイカー 698yen
ガンダムブレイカー2 980yen
ガンダムブレイカー3 2280yen
機動戦士ガンダム EXTREME VS-FORCE 698yen
機動戦士ガンダムSEED BATTLE DESTINY 1580yen
DARIUSBURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS 3580yen
ぷよぷよテトリス 2549yen
ダンジョントラベラーズ2-2 闇堕ちの乙女とはじまりの書 3180yen
ガンガンピクシーズ 2480yen
太鼓の達人 Vバージョン 3580yen
steins;gate... too expensive!

EDIT: Actually, a quick check makes it seem like Amazon would be cheaper overall and that Mandarake only carries vintage games...

Edited by visighost

Yeah, barring an unusually good deal on Yahoo Auctions, Amazon Marketplace is almost always the cheapest way to buy games. 

I can't recommend that many exclusives, but I see that The 空の軌跡 trilogy and 零の軌跡 duology, and 艦これ改 haven't been mentioned yet.