PS3 is now a chore?

Reinachii-

I wouldn't necessarily call it a chore but the the PS3 is definitely inferior in every aspect when compared to the PS4, which is why I tend to only play great or ultra rare games on it. Considering all the quality triple a and indie games that come out every year for the PS4, I always ask myself why the hell would anyone want to be playing old ass games on an outdated system. 

Edited by NaseemJohn

I never really stopped playing PS3, even after getting a PS4.  There are just too many trophies still to be had, though I know not everyone will agree with this sentiment.  I go back and forth between the two systems so much that I never really got out of the "habit" of the lesser graphics, etc.

• Like 2

I do play alot on both ps3 + ps4  and i think the ps4 is the better console but that doesn't affect the games i choose or the fun i have with them... i avoid looking at my ps3 trophy list for one example and besides that i dislike that you can't use something like the PS4 Party on the older console... when i play Dark Souls on ps3 i use the ps4 party to talk to my friend...i even bought some of the oldest ps3 with trophies recently (i.e. Stormrise, X-Men Origins) because i think/thought they're enjoyable....

It's annoying having to unhook my PS4 and hook up my PS3, but otherwise it's not a chore. It's generally more of a joy honestly. Being able to go back in time before games weren't quite as watered down thanks to cut content "DLC" and more focus was being on graphics than gameplay. I still enjoy playing my PS2 as well. But it would be nice if PS2/PS3 games could be played on the PS4. Especially with some upscaling.

• Like 2

PS4 wins on controller for sure, but I love it, I used to paly on my ps3 before I started to achievement hunt on the xbox .. I love the staggered joysticks of the xbox, but a third party controller can fix that with the ps3. Now that I have switched over to playstation as my system over xbox (that is until xbox comes out with a platinum equivalent, and then it is still a hard maybe)…. I almost prefer the ps3 overt most ps4 games, granted I haven't gotten into most of the meaty ps4 games.

Edited by Exairesi

OH, I am so conflicted. 

On the one hand, I WANT it to feel like a chore, and in a ways, it does, as there are a handful of games I want to really play right now for PS4. But on the OTHER hand, it gets really hard to justify even having my PS4 because the games I LEGIT want to play are few and far between. I used to keep my interest going with those easy PS4 plat games, but ever since they took trophy passes out, my interest in THOSE dried up. But then you can flip that right back around to my PS3, as in the games I legit want to play are starting to dwindle, and the idea of completing them seems like, as this topic says, a CHORE because there is no incentive outside of my e-Peen.

Blegh, so much of my indecisiveness could be solved once they announced the new rewards passes, as I could use those to gauge how much time I could invest in either system, but Sony is taking their sweet ass time on those. Seriously, aren't we already in early 2019?!

Thanks for making this thread, an interesting topic I was actually thinking a lot about recently.

I can (partly) relate to the original post. I had to move to Manila for work in December (for 1 year) and did not want to take my new Playstation 4 and ended up bringing my old PS3 with me. In the beginning the transition was quite difficult but now I'm enjoying some of my old games, I was never able to play or finish.

For me graphic was never a criteria to buy or not buy a game but I have to admit if you go back to old PS3 games you sometimes recognize the outdated look of it ? However that does not affect my enjoymnet of games like Dragon Age Origings or Far Cry 3 for example.  

But like mentioned in previous posts, certains things like the Controller, the home interface or PSN store are just way superior on the PS4 in my opinion. 

Edited by Valinor90
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reinachii- said:

Recently, I have been wanting to finish up the ps3 games i missed. 

But going back to play them is becoming a chore.

I really like the ps4, ui, communities, controller etc... even just looking at trophies. 

I started playing infamous 2, but struggled to enjoy it, and cant be bothered to start my second playthrough.

Is infamous 2 a bad game? should i look at getting ps now, or is the ps3 just not for me anymore?

Anyone else feel like this?

I enjoy my PS3 more then the 4 at this point in time, guess I'm not ready to fully move to the PS4 even though I've had one since they come out. Don't think I've even finished 20 games on the PS4 thought out my profiles even though I own hundreds of games.

Edited by ichigo_pulgo

I actually started going back to my ps3 backlog and it's starting to feel like work. And I forgot how bad syncing trophies to ps3 is. I swear I was waiting for like 3 minutes just to check what trophy popped when I was playing. Not to mention all the random error messages I keep getting. Needless to say I have about 20 Ps3 games I haven't even started yet. I don't know if I ever will at this point. I might just finish the games I started and that's it. I have too many Ps4 games now to be playing 10 year old ps3 games. Especially with all the servers shutting down. Ugh... 

Edited by SuchRemorse
Spelling Error.

4 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Really? I haven’t played them yet, only SS and First light, but I saw a lot of people saying that 2 was the best and SS wasn’t as good as that one

That's what I've seen too, and while I think higher of SS than a lot of those people. I'd put it 2 > FL > FoB > SS > 1.

I think all the games are good, the first is just so dated and wonky in comparison to everything else. And nothing beats flying around as bats, sorry Second Son. And FL was dope. Gameplay born from SS, but with a better story and character.

@ Topic - If you check my trophy list I clearly have no issue with it. I do use PS Now for some of them though. It doesn't really change things, it just ads varying levels of input delay. I suppose the ingame xmb loads somewhat faster on PS Now since it only loads up 3 categories and a handful total options in them. The UI on PS3 is far superior, it's the hardware that makes it crappy since it doesn't load as snappy as it should. But that sucker has no ram. But on PS Now after the "up"dated it, they hid the XMB option down in another menu so it's cumbersome to even get to. So takes even longer than it should. Sony clearly hires shit UI designers now who don't know anything about usability.

But PS4 has it's share of issues too, like the save manager taking 50 years to load if you play a lot of games. So if you're trying to back up one save it takes forever, thankfully they finally added the ability to upload a save from the game itself like Vita does. But unlike Vita, you can't upload a save with the game open for some dumb reason.

It's why I'm ready for PS5 tbh, PS4 is a pain in it's own ways too. And I want something better. But it's Sony and I expect the PS5 to be a mess too.

Edited by Elvick_

I remember booting up the ps3 for the first time thinking ui was fantastic.... probably was then but now it's a chore. Takes ages to do anything. Going into the trophy tab means my ps3 has to load all the games trophy lists before I can back out and it takes ages to install games. 

I am finishing a few of my ps3 games because I want my completion stat to increase. But I doubt I will plat many of them. GtaV will be a chore to download and I remember it crashing a heap. 

4 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I played Second Son before all the others so going back to the old, dark, bland and clunkier games wasn't really a good experience. I'm not sure if it would have been different if I had played one of those first or been there at the time, but it just felt like too much of a step back.

1 and 2 were much better games than SS imo anyway haha

The only issue I have with my ps3 is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to sync trophies if you're syncing on the fly... I have  14000+ trophies and it takes almost 90 seconds to sync each time I earn one and view or when I compare trophies on ps3... it often freezes as well... other than that I play from time to time and quite enjoy it... I actually got my longest platinum recently on it... 8 years and a few months... for bioshock 2

Edited by Livingstone7728
  • Like 2

Oh I forgot to mention that the one thing I do hate doing on PS3 now is playing shooters. The whole L1/R1 thing is just a nightmare to play. It wasn't too bad during the era since I didn't play shooters much outside that. So I got used to it, but after having played tons on PS4 it's hard to go back to that setup. It just sucks. It would've sucked more to use the L2/R2 on the DS3 since they're so stupid. But it's super awful.

I think it really depends on the game. I've found games like The Last of Us and the Uncharted series are still approachable and play really well as well as look beautiful still on PS3, despite it being remastered on PS4.

And yes like others have brought up games like Ratchet & Clank, Mini Ninjas and other animated games look good and play well. 

But yes a lot of games feel like a chore even navigating the PS Store on PS3 is horrible. If Sony pulled the plug on the PS3 this year it would be no big loss to be honest. Other people may not share the same opinion but the PS4 has just made everything seamless and smooth that the PS3 is just the ugly kid in the corner being beaten with a stick haha!

PS3 still has my favorite system menu of all consoles, so I enjoy booting it up. Playing some multiplatfrom games need getting used to, simply because the framerate and screen tearing can be noticeably awful. I try to switch between my systems as much as possible, but the Gamecube has top priority for me atm.

Honestly I prefer the ps3 to the ps4. Yeah the graphics are dated,   but I don't care about it that much, what I care about is that the DS3 doesn't need to be recharged every 4 seconds. Only reason I play ps4 more is because newer games aren't coming to ps3, otherwise I would play them there. That, and the d-pad is much better, especially when you play fighting games.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

I only just got a ps3, only played 2 games and I'm having a great time. Yeah the xmb is inferior but I got used to it and that isn't important at all when playing a game and you can use the DualShock 4 for the majority of games so that fixes that. The graphics aren't that bad either and it has a ton of great exclusives although as someone else said I would pick the ps4 version of a game if it had one. The ps4 is just an upgraded and improved ps3 that plays new games.

• Like 1

I understand not wanting to go back when you have so much better games on the ps4 but I've wanted to replay some of my favorite games on the ps3 like Tokyo Jungle and Blur. I guess if you are not in the mood, the game you are playing isn't as satisfying to play.