PS3 is now a chore?

Reinachii-

I don't find going back to PS3 a chore, not at all. I play Vita more than I do PS4, just because PS4 is the newest doesn't mean I will neglect my older systems.

What I do hate with PS3 though is how slow it is going to the store, being unable to turn off to standby like you can with PS4 and Vita, but worst of all pressing XMB in the middle of a game and/or accidentally starting a trophy sync in the middle of a game and having to wait literally minutes before I get control back of the system. Playing PS3 games is fine, it's everything around it that is annoying for me.

[edit] Oh, and games being so old and servers so dead, that boosting is such a pain....

Edited by enaysoft

• 2 weeks later...

I never have an issue hopping back into my PS3 games but it might be because I'm an old man now who still enjoys pulling the ColecoVision out and giving Mouse Trap a go.

It's obviously subjective but I don't have any problems with the tech, dualshock 3 design or games library that make it difficult for me to get back into my PS3 from time to time. I suppose if there was one complaint about the PS3, it would be how slow the console runs compared to the PS4 whether it's downloading, booting a game up, looking at my friends list or loading trophies. Loads of great games otherwise though.

Have friends on both consoles, so no prob for me jumping from console to console.  I've renewed my love for RDR, find that playing GTAV is pretty similar on both consoles (except for DLC) and someday hope to get back to Bioshock Infinite.  Even tho some fav games have been remastered for the PS4, it is difficult for me to pick up those games if I already have the PS3 versions in the backlog.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:39 AM, xXIrishPride42Xx said:

To an extent. The main reason I'd call it a chore is because of longer download times, inability to download games while playing, and lack of external hard drive support. I'm still enjoy the games themselves luckily, but hunting in general is indeed much more fun on PS4.

Don't forget checking your trophies on ps3. Ugh horrible! Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes for my trophy list to load. 

• Like 1

For me, its not so much a chore but how to allocate my gaming time. I have a ton of PS4 games in backlog that need to be played that I haven't started. Also have a ton of games I've played that I could put more time into and work for Plats now. 

So ultimately it becomes do I want to spend time on my older PS3 or continue working on my PS4....the latter always wins.

This has unfortunately sometimes caused me to re-purchase (usually at a big discount) remastered versions of games I already own just so I don't need to switch consoles.

• Like 1

I completed the last Minecraft DLC on PS3 back in September and I forgot just how long everything takes on it. The trophy section can take minutes to fully load up ? I also prefer being able to chat with my friends on other games which is my biggest issue with going back and playing my PS3. If Sony had of made it backward compatible it would solve pretty much everyone's problems... "you cant play PS3 games its not possible" a year later "oh hey guys pay for PS Now"

It's not really a problem for me to switch between my PS4, PS3, and Vita. It just depends on what game I want to prioritize so to speak. I'm trying to knock out a lot of backlog on the PS3 while playing one game on Vita and one on PS4, occasionally switching what game that is. And the time I have/how bored I sometimes get on certain games (I'm looking at you MK9 for Vita).

On 15/2/2019 at 3:50 AM, enaysoft said:

accidentally starting a trophy sync in the middle of a game and having to wait literally minutes before I get control back of the system. Playing PS3 games is fine, it's everything around it that is annoying for me.

I only have less than 20 games, so the trophies sync take around 5 secs and that still annoys me, imagine if i would have 200+ games... :o

I can't really say between PS4 and PS3 as i don't own PS4 yet and im not a veteran PS3 user, but switching between my 360 and X1 there is sometimes that feeling for certain things as its an older, slower machine. But i gotta say i have been very badlucked when it comes to Xbox 360, my consoles always have problems, either its the red ring, errort 74 or disc drive don't want to open or read properly. 

But all and all, i find it just annoying to have to open another console. When im at home my X1 is always open, i can acces almost all i want on it, youtube mainly but netflix and most of my games. Altough the PS3/X360 do have those 2 apps options, i just didn't configure them as i didn't feel it was worth it. I mostly open the old machine to play a game and shut it down when im done. But sometimes just that seem like a chore in some way. Its hard to explain. I don't even shut down my X1 when doing so, so the 2 consoles run together :\ just because i don't want to have to re-open the X1.

Where do you guys trophy synch? I synch with the profile sheet where the friends and messages are and it doesn't take several minutes. I avoid opening the trophy collection itself at all costs.

I currently have more PS3 backlog than PS4 so I hope everything functions for at least a year or two. Not like I'll be able to get everything done, but if I can get maybe a dozen more PS3 plats, I consider that success.

Yesterday turned my PS3 on for the first time in about 2 years since I bought a couple cheap dlcs so I can bring up a couple games I enjoyed up to 100% completion. It took me a couple minutes to remember how to navigate the interface and to get used to DS3, but after the game booted I didn't really have any problems with playing. Still have around 10 games in my PS3 backlog, so I hope to get back to it some day.

tl;dr I don't find it a chore, still very enjoyable :)

• Like 1

I still love my PS3. My backlog is vast and still growing, so much so that I will probably never be out of games to play on it. It's stil in fine condition but if it breaks down I will buy another one.

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

Where do you guys trophy synch? I synch with the profile sheet where the friends and messages are and it doesn't take several minutes. I avoid opening the trophy collection itself at all costs.

I go to the Trophy option in the menu, press triangle and choose Sync. Ever since I read that tip somewhere it is very quick to update them, probably because it's not attempting to do two things at the same time.

• Like 2

For some reason playing PS3 games feels more fun since so many service games have come out. The games also have a different feel to them compared to new releases.

Played through the Killzone PS3 games over the weekend and had a lot of fun. Never played them before and was super impressed by how amazing it looks, even by today's standards and the weapons feel fantastic.

The only things that are a chore to me are the bad XMB the Playstation 3 has, and somewhat low frames per second a lot of games have.

I got too many games on my backlog to simply discard my console and Playstation Now doesn't have all the games I'm interested in. The Playstation 4 is nice for it's much improved XMB, the faster frames per second, the quicker loading times and yadda yadda yadda.

What matters to me is how good or bad the games are. The social media, the systems themselves are an inconvenience at worst.

Of course when you guys compare a console from 2006 to a console from 2016 such as the Pro and the Slim, obviously the older console is inferior because the technology wasn't as advanced as it is today.

I've actually been playing quite a bit on my PS3 this year because I've been feeling like I need to prioritise getting through my backlog there, rather than worrying about my PS4 collection. At first, the thought of it made me think it'd be tough to go back, but now that I've made a start I'm actually really enjoying it! I like the simplicity and linear nature of some of the games back then to be honest. So for me it's not really a chore at all once I get started. Currently working on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and Killzone HD :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 11/02/2019 at 2:38 PM, Reinachii- said:

Anyone else feel like this?

Not really. I feel playing Ps4 games are a bit tedious, as I personally find they lack much of the creativity of the games released during the previous generation. I also find the Ps4 system far more likely to crash, freeze or disconnect from the internet without warning than my Ps3. 

• Like 4

On 2/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, Reinachii- said:

Recently, I have been wanting to finish up the ps3 games i missed. 

But going back to play them is becoming a chore.

I really like the ps4, ui, communities, controller etc... even just looking at trophies. 

I started playing infamous 2, but struggled to enjoy it, and cant be bothered to start my second playthrough.

Is infamous 2 a bad game? should i look at getting ps now, or is the ps3 just not for me anymore?

Anyone else feel like this?

i feel like that for the first hour or 2 then i feel fine. its just a adjustment. ps4 graphics are more smoother so when you go back it seems like a huge downgrade. but after playing for a few hours you dont even mind the graphics if the game is interesting. my first console was intellivision on a tv that was on a cart lol. im not kidding the actual tv was built onto a shitty cart you could wheel around prob 19 inches lol. so im not that picky. and infamous 2 is a good game all the infamous games are good. but thats just my opinion maybe it does suck for you but most seem to like it. i like ps3 alot more now because the games are cheap and its easier to get the mp trophies with friends coming over. i bought multiple consoles on sale when a store was closing. so for the game prices some only $3 a disc for mp and co op games im enjoying it still. my routine is simple, when i run out of good ps4 games, i go to my ps3 backlog. im alot better of a gamer now then 10 years ago so im finding my strategys better to go back and finish games i couldnt before.

6 minutes ago, Sir-Syzygy said:

Not really. I feel playing Ps4 games are a bit tedious, as I personally find they lack much of the creativity of the games released during the previous generation. I also find the Ps4 system far more likely to crash, freeze or disconnect from the internet without warning than my Ps3. 

The PS4 is much more social network oriented. The PS3 was made back when people were still watching movies on DVD/Blu-Ray and it is more gamer concentrated.

There's been a few gems. The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and a number of other games. But I often find myself bored with a lot of AAA games, particularly open world games since they just cram down as much content as possible through a giant open space. Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey are great to look at graphic wise, but there's so much content in both that is just filler I get turned off with how much of a chore it feels. The Witcher 3 is a rare exception, that game was fantastic beginning to end, even with a giant open expanse to work with.

People praised the original Red Dead Redemption to hell and back, and I consider it to be one of the best games ever made, and certainly to me the best from last gen. Red Dead Redemption 2 I've heard many mixed feelings about it, especially regarding it's huge open world and how much of a chore it is to get everything done. Sadly I hear the same mixed feelings on Red Dead Online, since I felt the online multiplayer in the original game was absolutely brilliant.

Comparing the two games to each other kind of tells the story regarding the creativity and tediousness between last gen and now.

• Like 2

for me going back can be hard but I still do. I mean I go back to ps2 games and 1 games all the time. ps3 can be annoying at times when trophy hunting but that is why I normally just relax and do my normal thing of picking the handful of games I want to get trophies done for then pick a few that I like to play just for the fun of it. I do it all the time. Hell even doing a ps4 party chat while playing on ps3 or ps2 and 1 games. Is what I do.