PS3 is now a chore?

Reinachii-

Hi all im a new member here ? I wont call myself a hardcore trophy hunter but i like to finish most of my game trophy lists as much as possible.

I loved my PS3 and put it away after i got my PS4 technically everything is much smoother and runs better on it. However during this PS4 gaming era i upgraded my TV from Full HD to an 4K OLED TV and ive plugged my PS3 back in to do a few clean up of games and for me it feel like its a totally different gaming experience, all those games feel like remasters! Everything looks much better and im really enjoying playing them again. Which is enough to make me forget the negatives of the console.

The only thing i hate is how much harder some of them PS3 games were lol

• Like 1

I like playing both systems.  Both have strengths and weaknesses.  Had all the PS3 system issues, especially with the store, but recently this seems to have been cleaned up.  How the system comes across is about expectations.  I never expect the PS3 experience to be like the PS4 experience or any other system experience.  I just enjoy what the systems give me.  Interestingly, there are no games on the PS3 that I hate with a passion, but there are games on the PS4 that I regret buying.

My PS3 broke a few months ago, and I lost all progress in my games until then (never did a save data backup, so...). At least you have a system to play those old titles yet.

I get your point, it feels clunkier in a lot of ways when compared to the PS4.

The Ps3 is still so good, and plenty of excellent game. Really wish PS5 would BC PS3 games at least digitals only, thatll reduce the chore it feels at time...

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:43 AM, Carol said:

PS3 is a fantastic console, with a great library of games. How could it be a chore to go back to this amazing system? PS4 is now my main console too and that’s normal, since it’s the most modern console, but, honestly, PS3 will always be the best, for me. The games are better and the memories I made on that system are priceless.

I agree that the ps3 is IMO one of the best consoles. I still have a very big ps3 library and i have every intention of going back and finishing up alot of games. Where i dont have lot of time to play i try to finish up the ones i just bought for the ps4 then go back every once in a while. 

• Like 1

I still playing my ps3's a lot, especially once I Plat a game.

when I Plat a game I always take a break from trophies hunting and go back to replay old games that I already 100% for fun, it could be anything on the ps3 or ps4, this is why it took me a while to Plat a new game once I done from my previous game.

I buy my games to enjoy playing them, trophyhunting comes in second.

if my ps2 is still working i'll play the heck out of it too, it's such a sad sight to see all these ps2 games on the shelf but can't play them anymore.

Edited by yellowwindow7
day one edit patch, 60KB ?

On 2/11/2019 at 0:53 AM, NaseemJohn said:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a chore but the the PS3 is definitely inferior in every aspect when compared to the PS4, which is why I tend to only play great or ultra rare games on it. Considering all the quality triple a and indie games that come out every year for the PS4, I always ask myself why the hell would anyone want to be playing old ass games on an outdated system. 

Because even though they're old and on an outdated system they're still great and there's still a lot of fun to be had. Technology moving forward does not negate the achievements of past technology and it doesn't stop the system and games from being great. I still play my PS2 and PSOne games. I still play my old DS games and Wii games. I still have fun with all of my old games. That's why I still play "old ass games on and outdated system."

• Like 1

I've been playing my PS4 pro on my 4K tv for about a year now, recently I started collecting older consoles and dug out my launch PS3. I put a new 500gb HDD in and downloaded all my old purchased games (Including InFAMOUS 1, 2 and spinoff) I struggled with the composite cables. I intended to record some footage of the PS3 for games like Naughty Bear and Army of Two, but can't record with HDMI - so I tried composite on an older plasma TV and it's beautiful enough that the only 'chore' is getting used to the Dualshock 3 again. 

I think it's worth keeping your old PS3, the selection on PS Now just isn't that good, imho. I collect old PS3 games and it's so much better playing on the actual console. 

I still actively use my PS3 as well. I don't like the controller as much as the DS4. I seem to also be having some slight issues with reading discs but nothing I haven't been able to fix yet. I still love those older games and tbh I've been very disappointed in the releases on the PS4 lately. Pretty much the only game I'm looking forward to this year that I even remember is coming out is Digimon Survive, and I'm not convinced it'll even be coming out this year.

8 hours ago, ClownSyndicate said:

Even though the ps3 runs like ass im having a blast replaying my old games. 

Same, i'm still discovering games i've never heard of, like Drakengard 3, it's set in NieR(!) universe and is a PS3 exclusive

mind blown (runs like crap, but the story is fun)
81szzp76WQL._SX466_.jpg

Long as my ps3 has life to it I will play it, my love for anything playstation has no bounds even thinking about picking up another just for backup. But its nice to switch to the ps4 for better graphics and more options i.e communities, broadcasting, shareplay ect... Love both my systems and they both get love, neither one is a chore but if you feel like that then just swith it up once it begin to feel like a chore !

• Like 1

I've been playing quite a few things on PS3 lately, and been having a lot of fun. I have to agree with what people are saying about the controller - once you've held a PS4 controller (or even an XB1 controller, which is nearly as good as the PS4 controller in my humble opinion but for the awful placement of the analogue sticks) it's hard to go back to using a PS3 controller.

I use a converter (it's called a CronusMax Plus, it's about $45 from Amazon if you're in the US, similar in the UK) to make my PS4 controller fully work on PS3, and it's made things a lot better. It's a little expensive to just use as a converter, but I think it's worth it, and if you're interested it can do a bunch of other stuff (it's fully programmable and can do arbitrary scripts, combos in fighting games etc), so highly recommend. I only discovered that this thing exists by Googling "macro controllers for ps4" a year or so back, so thought I'd mention this in case I could help someone out! (And no, I don't get paid by the company that makes them :P)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest i am at peace with my choice of having gone the Xbox 360 road during the 7th gen. I do game on PS3 now, bough one in 2016 for the exclusives but it always gave me that feeling the online entirely was an after taught, from trophies being added later (and so many good games missing them) to the servers wich closed way too soon in some cases , to the lack of party chat/voice messages and other basic features. The 360 did had its problem (red ring of death and disc optical drive failing) but it just seem overall like a more complete machine. I should had upgraded to the slim black 360 instead of sticking with the white too, but i was paying a microsoft warrenty every year so everytime i had to change console (wich was around every 8 to 12 months lol) they would do it as part of that warrenty but always give me another white old model. Plus i liked i could swap my HDD tough very easily.

Also i find it so annoying to "synch my trophies" and i have only 19 games, i can only imagine peoples with 200+ games how long it may take... lol

In any case, i do personally love the 7th gen, actually i love it more than the 8th gen. I feel that the 7th gen just had more games, more variety. It seem these days its either big AAA titles (with an emphasis on live services) or its the indy routes. There is not much in between titles like on the 7th gen, like "smaller" full scale games that were still enjoyable.

Also it may sound a bit dumb for some, but i miss liscenced games. Yes a lot were crap but not all, and they were entertaining for what they were, at least for me. 

I play on PS3 because I got a... hugh backlog that I will never complete. But I can clean up some of it. I'm not really sure I enjoy PS4 more than PS3. No.... I don't think so. Except for the graphics, and the clearly smoother, less laggy gameplay it get boring after a while. I seems like I would enjoy PC gaming more than PS4... but I can't live out with those trophies lol. I'm obsessed lol. Else I might got myself a steamOS PC or a gameshield possibly.

Edited by A-Rebirth