panikooooos

Reputation limit

47 posts in this topic

"You are only allowed to give reputation 10 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today." Seriously what's the logic behind this? Prevent someone from mass giving reputation? Even if that happened, what's the problem with it? I seriously see so many good posts every day, yet I can only give reputation to 10 posts per day? This is probably the most annoying and useless feature of the site. At least make the limit like 50 per day or something, 10 is ridiculous.

It's to prevent people from mass creating accounts and spamming the rep. Also, I think the cap is 25 once you reach certain milestones, not sure what they are, maybe 50 posts?

While I don't know when it started, there was a time when people would fish for +1's in the comment section. Some posters would just send single comments to, well, 20 people or so, gumming up the status updates solely to farm reputation. The limit seems to have cut back on that, which was definitely a good thing.

1 minute ago, Squirlruler said:

It's to prevent people from mass creating accounts and spamming the rep. Also, I think the cap is 25 once you reach certain milestones, not sure what they are, maybe 50 posts?

I think it just goes up for premium members

2 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

It's to prevent people from mass creating accounts and spamming the rep.

That's even more embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Kittet3 said:

I think it just goes up for premium members

Ooo that would make sense. Lol.

I'm still not convinced at all. If someone spend 10 minutes creating a well thought out post, I want to show him I saw it and found it interesting and giving him rep is the easiest option. What's the alternative, 20 people quoting a post and replying "I agree, cool post"? No you just press a little button and show him you liked his opinion. Reputation is useful, it shows how much your opinions resonate with others, you get easy feedback. 

32 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

"You are only allowed to give reputation 10 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today." Seriously what's the logic behind this? Prevent someone from mass giving reputation? Even if that happened, what's the problem with it? I seriously see so many good posts every day, yet I can only give reputation to 10 posts per day? This is probably the most annoying and useless feature of the site. At least make the limit like 50 per day or something, 10 is ridiculous.

People who boost trophies will boost reputation

11 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

I'm still not convinced at all. If someone spend 10 minutes creating a well thought out post, I want to show him I saw it and found it interesting and giving him rep is the easiest option. What's the alternative, 20 people quoting a post and replying "I agree, cool post"? No you just press a little button and show him you liked his opinion. Reputation is useful, it shows how much your opinions resonate with others, you get easy feedback. 

I'd rather have someone comment that I was able to help them or that they had the same problem I had.  Dialogue is more important to me than a reputation point.  You can always give them a thumbs up so show you really liked their post.

14 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

I'm still not convinced at all. 

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I personally enjoy the limit myself. I will admit that it's convenient to use reputation points to acknowledge an answer to a question, and have done so on occasion. However, like others, I'd rather see the text from someone saying that they appreciate my opinion, or post such text myself.

You think the reputation limit is the most useless feature on the site? I disagree, i think reputation itself is the most useless feature on the site.

Yeah, it sucks when you run out of rep on this site, even at 25. Because there are so many valuable and humorous posts. For me it’s like giving a laugh or encouragement without having to speak out again. Plus, when I don’t get +1 from something I say, I wonder if I have said something offensive :ninja:. (But then I’m a wimp) Take this thread for instance. Everyone has had something to add to the discussion and I would like to give rep to probably everything said already so that you would each know that I agreed with you to whatever degree. 

But the truth is there is just not enough rep to go around and if we had more to give it would probably just devalue the system altogether because everything would get rep by somebody. Kinda like the participation trophies that people complain about these days. 

So I can see the point of the limits. I’ve seen people spammed with rep that have said something mean and vulgar. It’s vain no matter how you slice it.

To me, the reputation on this site is pretty useless. If there's actually a number of people that have problems with the limit for whatever reason, a good alternative could be to both remove the limit and remove the counter from everyone's forum profiles, no? That way, everyone who wants to show appreciation for a post can give reputation to as many posts as they want and boosting reputation will be prevented. The only place to see reputation for posts would be on the post itself.

Either way, I personally couldn't care less but I imagine that would make a number of people happy.

Honestly, I like it the way it is. I typically use likes to signify that I read a post for community events that I run and that's the only time I wish I could have more. 

Of course, I like other stuff, but I don't typically go anywhere near the limit on a day to day basis.

I laugh though at the people who covet these sorts of things... I mean you should really find another hobby where you can hoard or gain virtual achievements or something like that. I hear that's more fulfilling.

hate those ppl that are just trying to get likes, like if you agree. ;) 

i've never hit the rep limit as i very rarely use it, so they are truely deserved when i give them. :P 

46 minutes ago, Lucas said:

To me, the reputation on this site is pretty useless. If there's actually a number of people that have problems with the limit for whatever reason, a good alternative could be to both remove the limit and remove the counter from everyone's forum profiles, no? That way, everyone who wants to show appreciation for a post can give reputation to as many posts as they want and boosting reputation will be prevented. The only place to see reputation for posts would be on the post itself.

Either way, I personally couldn't care less but I imagine that would make a number of people happy.

I ‘like’ this lol. Except, maybe people are more careful about what they say because of rep or the lack thereof. In other words, we learn from the feedback of others. 

Could it be that psnp is the awesome site that it is because of the way it is set up, rep points and all? I mean, it seems almost humanly impossible to have such decency in the large numbers here from people all over the world. Yet, this community continually improves itself. And it can’t just be the fear of Sly. (could it?) :giggle:

Here, your gaming profile reputation is at stake. So there is motivation to behave well. The result is this is a very fun place to hang out. :D

Edited by dropsofjupiter
sp

reputation is one of the most important parts of the site imo...why?...well, the site seriously lacks the colour green and the reputation stat balances it out quite nicely...without it this page would only have "reply to user" that shows green...the home page would be "update user" and the word "boosting" in the sessions only...guides sadly only have the "add favourite" green box...forum profiles would be bland without reputation green...and the list goes on...

that being said, I think the 10 point non-premium and 25 premium member point limits are fine but please, help keep the site beautiful...give out rep wherever possible...for some it might be epeen green, but for others it keeps the forums flowing and clean...

Edited by ProfBambam55

4 hours ago, IoIly said:

People who boost trophies will boost reputation

Posts like these remind me what really would be a useful feature - downvoting.

5 hours ago, Squirlruler said:

It's 25 for Premium members. That's the only requirement. 

I've been lobbying for this since the site change. Lol. The addition of being able to like status updates and posts in them, has led me to always running out. But I have been told it can't be increased with the current forum software, so you'd have to voice your complaints to whoever made it. I couldn't care less how much I receive, but not being able to like every post I want to is a bit of a drag.

Edited by DamagingRob

Like this post if you don't care.