Reputation limit

"You are only allowed to give reputation 10 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today." Seriously what's the logic behind this? Prevent someone from mass giving reputation? Even if that happened, what's the problem with it? I seriously see so many good posts every day, yet I can only give reputation to 10 posts per day? This is probably the most annoying and useless feature of the site. At least make the limit like 50 per day or something, 10 is ridiculous.

• Like 2

While I don't know when it started, there was a time when people would fish for +1's in the comment section. Some posters would just send single comments to, well, 20 people or so, gumming up the status updates solely to farm reputation. The limit seems to have cut back on that, which was definitely a good thing.

• Like 1

I'm still not convinced at all. If someone spend 10 minutes creating a well thought out post, I want to show him I saw it and found it interesting and giving him rep is the easiest option. What's the alternative, 20 people quoting a post and replying "I agree, cool post"? No you just press a little button and show him you liked his opinion. Reputation is useful, it shows how much your opinions resonate with others, you get easy feedback. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

"You are only allowed to give reputation 10 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today." Seriously what's the logic behind this? Prevent someone from mass giving reputation? Even if that happened, what's the problem with it? I seriously see so many good posts every day, yet I can only give reputation to 10 posts per day? This is probably the most annoying and useless feature of the site. At least make the limit like 50 per day or something, 10 is ridiculous.

People who boost trophies will boost reputation

11 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

I'm still not convinced at all. If someone spend 10 minutes creating a well thought out post, I want to show him I saw it and found it interesting and giving him rep is the easiest option. What's the alternative, 20 people quoting a post and replying "I agree, cool post"? No you just press a little button and show him you liked his opinion. Reputation is useful, it shows how much your opinions resonate with others, you get easy feedback. 

I'd rather have someone comment that I was able to help them or that they had the same problem I had.  Dialogue is more important to me than a reputation point.  You can always give them a thumbs up so show you really liked their post.

14 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

I'm still not convinced at all. 

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I personally enjoy the limit myself. I will admit that it's convenient to use reputation points to acknowledge an answer to a question, and have done so on occasion. However, like others, I'd rather see the text from someone saying that they appreciate my opinion, or post such text myself.

To me, the reputation on this site is pretty useless. If there's actually a number of people that have problems with the limit for whatever reason, a good alternative could be to both remove the limit and remove the counter from everyone's forum profiles, no? That way, everyone who wants to show appreciation for a post can give reputation to as many posts as they want and boosting reputation will be prevented. The only place to see reputation for posts would be on the post itself.

Either way, I personally couldn't care less but I imagine that would make a number of people happy.

• Like 4

Honestly, I like it the way it is. I typically use likes to signify that I read a post for community events that I run and that's the only time I wish I could have more. 

Of course, I like other stuff, but I don't typically go anywhere near the limit on a day to day basis.

I laugh though at the people who covet these sorts of things... I mean you should really find another hobby where you can hoard or gain virtual achievements or something like that. I hear that's more fulfilling.

reputation is one of the most important parts of the site imo...why?...well, the site seriously lacks the colour green and the reputation stat balances it out quite nicely...without it this page would only have "reply to user" that shows green...the home page would be "update user" and the word "boosting" in the sessions only...guides sadly only have the "add favourite" green box...forum profiles would be bland without reputation green...and the list goes on...

that being said, I think the 10 point non-premium and 25 premium member point limits are fine but please, help keep the site beautiful...give out rep wherever possible...for some it might be epeen green, but for others it keeps the forums flowing and clean...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Squirlruler said:

It's to prevent people from mass creating accounts and spamming the rep. Also, I think the cap is 25 once you reach certain milestones, not sure what they are, maybe 50 posts?

It's 25 for Premium members. That's the only requirement. 

I've been lobbying for this since the site change. Lol. The addition of being able to like status updates and posts in them, has led me to always running out. But I have been told it can't be increased with the current forum software, so you'd have to voice your complaints to whoever made it. I couldn't care less how much I receive, but not being able to like every post I want to is a bit of a drag.

Edited by DamagingRob