Jim Ryan to take over as Sony CEO April 1st

SnowxSakura

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

The future looks bleak, that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard & Jim Ryan clearly seems to be one of those guys who are like "Graphics>Gameplay/story", atleast from what he said in that last part. I really hope this doesn't effect people who still enjoy playing older games & hopefully doesn't reduce the PS3's lifespan because it's "old"

1 minute ago, nyonmyan said:

Backwards comp. is detrimental to game developers as they lose the opportunity to sell remakes and remasters.

Put BC on PS5 and Sony will be like bleeding surfer in a shark tank.

Not sure if the greed is strongest with the US or Japanese side of things, honestly wonder if the Japanese higher ups have a say in all of this or if there just trying to keep the board happy. If it's the board then money talks ? I've clearly not looked into this so feel free to correct me guys

7 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

Backwards comp. is detrimental to game developers as they lose the opportunity to sell remakes and remasters.

Put BC on PS5 and Sony will be like bleeding surfer in a shark tank.

This is such bullshit. People will still rebuy them. People rebuy films for better quality going from VHS > DVD > Bluray > 4K.

Especially with additional trophies they'll always be reason to do a remaster or remake. Plus b/c means you can throw it on PSN to sell digitally, where otherwise you'd make nothing as every sale eventually is going to be from the used market.

Plus, people who love a game will buy it just to support it. I've bought FFVI on almost everything it's ever been on, Super Mario RPG too.

• Like 2

Just now, pinkrobot_pb said:

2017: "PS1 looks ancient, why would anyone want to play this?"

2018: "Let's release PS1 Classic because everybody will want to play this!"

personally never understood that, I can play them on my Original PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and VITA. 

2 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

I personally think he's right. Games today are so much more advanced i don't see why anyone would want to be playing ps1 or ps2 games for any reason other than nostalgia. 

JRPGs sure aren't MORE advanced. You're lucky if you're not just navigating menus as the "exploration" of a town or world. But sure. Let's pretend everything is better.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

JRPGs sure aren't MORE advanced. You're lucky if you're not just navigating menus as the "exploration" of a town or world. But sure. Let's pretend everything is better.

Not true at all, the only time you'll be navigating menus is if you're like me and you take forever to customize a character but other than that most offer 100+ hours of gameplay and exploration. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

People still play them because they're still fun? 

Yeah they may be fun, there's some classic games for PS1, PS2 and PS3 but he isn't lying when he says that those games are seriously outdated. Only very few of em still hold up and most of them that do are from the PS3 era.  

19 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Not true at all, the only time you'll be navigating menus is if you're like me and you take forever to customize a character but other than that most offer 100+ hours of gameplay and exploration. 

I'd love to live in that alternate universe you've stumbled into.

And games like platformers are timeless. Super Mario Bros. 3 feels just as good as it did when it came out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, danielc655 said:

It's not just nostalgia a lot ps1, ps2 and ps3 games are still genuinely good games that still hold up to date. They may not look as terrific as what we have now but IMO graphics ain't everything. 

True, but how many people do you think still put in tons of hours on PS1 or PS2 in 2019? I'd say very little or next to none. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

Guess he needs to take a visit to the PS Store and see the graphics indie games have.