Game you've avoided because it was too difficult to Plat? (Plat Cast Topic)

ChernobylNinja

Hey guys as many of you know @Bushido7745785 and myself host a podcast called Plat Cast and every week we ask a topic for discussion here on psnprofiles and we read out your responses on our podcast and our topic this week is:

What game(s) have you avoided/given up on because the plat was too difficult? 

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

thanks to @Bos10George for the topic!

Edited by ChernobylNinja
  • Like 1

Not really difficulty but heard it would take a shitload of time (Nioh).  

Would of not played Wolfenstein 2 but preordered months in advanced digitally and got the news late about stupid Mein Leben trophy.  Trophy aside, it's legit the worst game I've ever played, so it would not have been a lost there.

Think that's all ?

"Given up on" is a different question from "avoid altogether", since I've started plenty of games that I didn't plat because the plat was too hard for me (Super Meat Boy, e.g.), even though I played the game quite a bit.

However, I will say that I've avoided games like Far Cry 2 because the platinum requires a great deal of online play (which is "hard" for me).

• Like 1

Super meat boy and Outlast 2. Super meat boy needs no explanation, outlast 2 has a permadeath trophy and a trophy that requires you to go through the game without reloading your camera battery. I attempted this and got killed by a glitch and said fuck it, I ain’t got time for that! 

Also so any game that has online trophies I usually don’t bother with. 

So far I'm avoiding games where you need to survive the whole game with 1 life. Examples like super meat boy, Wolfenstein 2 and evil dead scare me off because I always try it at least but I'm probably going to be too frustrated seeing that last couple or even 1 trophy left for the platinum. Still some games I enjoy too much to be bothered by it and I just play the game for fun. Those 1 life games are intriguing to do but looking at how people do these things... damn. Not only you need time but also a LOT of patience and you have to know the game inside out. I assume I will not enjoy the game properly anymore when I need to exactly know absolutely everything from how many enemies, where they come from, where the important items are, which shortcuts there are et cetera et cetera.

The reason I WOULD try these modes is the suspense, adrenaline and finally that feeling of accomplishment when you finally did it!

I take my hat off for those guys who succeed in those hardcore tests and I totally applause those guys who even help and motivate other people after succeeding (one of the reason I like this site is sometimes the community can be very helpful).

Maybe in the future I will do it like a proffessional by totally preparing and practising for it. But not now.

• Like 1

"Difficult" isn't my particular filter for avoiding a game.

I have the occasional tendency to put a game down for a substantial stretch if I'm simply banging my head against the wall with particular challenges inherent to a game -- e.g., right now I haven't touched ChimeSharp in a few weeks (and probably won't for a few months) because the last trophy is simply not going for me -- but I won't give up entirely because my OCD for completing everything always wins out in the end.  But if I'm not making progress and I'm starting to really not enjoy the process, I'll throw it on the back burner and dig into my backlog for something else.

I will occasionally step outside my particular "comfort zone" and pick up a game that's very different from what I normally play and may require certain skills that I simply don't practice very often (or at all).  Those are the titles more likely to trigger what I've mentioned in the previous paragraph than anything else.  But I like the occasional challenge that doesn't diminish my enjoyment too much.

20 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

Bloodborne was free with PS+ last year, but it's been stuck in the backlog since then. I'm a bit anxious to start it because I'm afraid it'll be too difficult for me and I aim to 100% all my games.

Jolly cooperate \[T]/

• Like 1

Rather than avoiding hard games, I embrace them. I need to be in the mood to start them though. I might take long breaks when feeling I can't get past a point, but in the end I always emerge victorious. It's all about practice and persistence.

I only avoid unattainable 100%s (regardless if they have a platinum or not), at least loading them on my profile, I might play those on a blank user.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

The game I was thinking of when I suggested this was The Last of Us. I have heard amazing things about this game, but I also heard there is some sort of ridiculous online mode that requires a lot of hours so I have avoided it. There are plenty of hard games that are easy for me to avoid (Bloodborne, Dark Souls, etc) but this is a good game I want to play, but don't want to look at yet another incompletion on my profile.

Edited by Bos10George

7 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

The game I was thinking of when I suggested this was The Last of Us. I have heard amazing things about this game, but I also heard there is some sort of ridiculous online mode that requires a lot of hours so I have avoided it. There are plenty of hard games that are easy for me to avoid (Bloodborne, Dark Souls, etc) but this is a game I want to play, but don't want to look at, yet another, incompletion on my profile.

It's not anywhere close the horrible story you have mentioned. You just need to avoid being stupid and progressing days without progressing wipe requirements. There are tons of guides about how to do is safely. Get it done!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

The game I was thinking of when I suggested this was The Last of Us. I have heard amazing things about this game, but I also heard there is some sort of ridiculous online mode that requires a lot of hours so I have avoided it. There are plenty of hard games that are easy for me to avoid (Bloodborne, Dark Souls, etc) but this is a game I want to play, but don't want to look at, yet another, incompletion on my profile.

The multiplayer is a bit of a grind but man, you can't avoid a great game like The Last of Us just because of a few potentially unearned trophies. I realize this is a trophy-focused site, but at some point you gotta put the games before the trophies. You need to experience that shit. The single-player experience is amazing, although not without some bugs and glitches.

You really should give it a try! :) 

As for me, I don't avoid games that are difficult, although I don't have too many on my account, but I do wait with some games that are very time-consuming. I still want to plat RDR2 and try out Persona 5, but I'd rather play other games for now, before I dedicated hundreds of hours into one or two games.

Orcs Must Die Unchained. I spent a natural 200+ hours in the game (based on a yearly review email from PlayStation which is a rough estimate). And I didn’t even get a 4th of the way to Empty Pockets. I spent about 3 hours playing for the grind... and it wasn’t fun and was making me hate the game.

I would rather keep loving the game than getting the plat and resenting the game.

• Like 1

In the past, I avoided The Witcher 3 and Persona 5. I'm a big fantasy and JRPG fan and it's just dumb to skip games that I know I'd like because of trophies. This account is fairly recent and I'm making some effort to try out games that I used to avoid because they were hard or time intensive. I have now done the plat for Persona 5 but haven't started The Witcher 3 yet. I want to start that soon but have a couple things that have deadlines. I'm working on The Division to hopefully get that done before the sequel launches next Month. I am also trying to do Orcs Must Die! Unchained before servers go offline in April. 

My choice is FFXV. Not because it's difficult but because i think it's such a bummer Square Enix decided to make the multiplayer trophies a standalone.

I know this doesn't deny the platinum but to know I can't 100% it kills all my motivation to go back to this game and thus plat it.

I heard about the method to downgrade the game version and actually tried that but since my connection is pretty slow I gave up on it after several hours which hammered

the final nail in the coffin.

Well, I think there was enough time to do this stuff before Square decided to screw me over but I wasn't in the mood for the game a pretty long time.

So I guess there is no one to blame but me,

I think I will come back to it one day and plat it for my own sake though.