new PS3 update 4.84 - stuck at 99%

rockstarjazz

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/

anyone else having this problem?

wanted to play on my ps3 and it prompted it to do this update. downloaded it and its stuck in the installing, at 99%. been waiting for over 30 minutes now.

pulled the plug and launched in safe mode where it goes to the install again. and again now stuck at 99%.

is there a solution to this?

• Like 1

well mine got stuck again at 99 so powered down by holding down the on/off button this time. i downloaded the update and put it on usb. switched the ps3 on normal without holding it down and now its gone into safe mode again and goes straight to installing update without even downloading/acknowledging the usb update.

i'm stuck in a circle, it seems! if it gets stuck again i think i might leave it overnight. mind you when it was counting up to 99 there was no orange light

christ sake its stuck at 99 again!!

if i switch it on and turn it on itll go straight to this installing update page, counting from 0, 1, 2... and then gets stuck at 99% again.

i might have to leave this on overnight and hope for the best.

do sony even test their updates??? this is annoying as i left early from work today hoping to enjoy some more game time but instead wasted it on this stupid update nonsense

well earlier this week i had to do just that. my ps3 crashed and i went into safe mode, selected option 5 which resets the ps3 to factory start settings, and it worked perfectly fine. i didnt care about losing game or save data.

but now, i come across this. i did some googling and there was this video on youtube which suggested doing this over and over and eventually it'll fix itself. i admit i found it dodgy but got worked up that i followed it. i guess i'll leave it now and just hope it'll install.

if i have to 'wipe out all data in the console', how do i do that? normally you'd go to safe mode and select option 5 to wipe out everything and start fresh?

32 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Seems like lots of people are having trouble with this.

Should I try to wait for a potential fix for this from PS/Sony/whoever or do I really have to let it sit for 5+ minutes until it finishes?

Well, if you're really worried it might mess up anything, you can always make a backup of everything important, including saves then update. I'd say that when it reaches the 99% is has some kind of hiccup then it stays like that for some minutes, but it should go to 100% after some time, as said by others users in this thread.

now stuck at 99% for two hours now.

tried contacting playstation through twitter and they were unable to help, their suggesting is to send it in for repair, but i cant even do that on their useless site as i get thrown in a circle clicking one thing to the next ad back to the start again.

i really dont know what else to do :(

if i was to take the hard disk out, i wouldnt know what to do with it. how do i even connect it to the pc and what am i supposed to do?

going to leave the ps3 on overnight ad hope itll be ok in the morning. i doubt it though. maybe turning it off and on may have scrambled the file or something

5 mins? been over 2 hours here and nothing.

i have rebooted it again and this time have the update on usb, its again stuck at 99% for me. i'm going to sleep now so will leave this on overnight. i just hope it'll work come the morning

otherwise i'm throwing this out of the window. i wish it WAS just 5 mins!

3 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

well earlier this week i had to do just that. my ps3 crashed and i went into safe mode, selected option 5 which resets the ps3 to factory start settings, and it worked perfectly fine. i didnt care about losing game or save data.

but now, i come across this. i did some googling and there was this video on youtube which suggested doing this over and over and eventually it'll fix itself. i admit i found it dodgy but got worked up that i followed it. i guess i'll leave it now and just hope it'll install.

if i have to 'wipe out all data in the console', how do i do that? normally you'd go to safe mode and select option 5 to wipe out everything and start fresh?

So, I forgot to answer this. Yes, you'll need to use option 5 from Safe Mode menu, the Restore PS3 System menu.

Once you have done it, you can try updating directly from the usb instead of using the internet connection version.

I don't think it's going to complete for you after this many forced restarts. As most people reported, it should hang up in about 5 minutes at the 99%, maybe 10 minutes if internet is really bad, dunno. 2 hours seems way off.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno

guess what?

after SIX hours of leaving it on overnight, having woke up this morning to check...

it's STILL at 99%.

i've given up. my ps3 is fked.

how do i replace the hard drive? is it a matter of buying one of those small hard drive boxes and switching it over? will i run into the same problem?

otherwise i think i'll just get another ps3 off ebay and sell this one as spare parts. what do you guys think?

i've had this ps3 for over 4 years. unfortunate this has happened.

Wow, sorry rockstar. Don't know why this happens to you.

I saw this thread this morning (gmt+1), and I had to look for myself if this happens to me. First, I made some backups of games I'm close to the Platinum. And then I started the update.

Starting with the download, everything normal. And then the installing. I watched closely when the bar reached 70%. And when it was at 80%, BOOM! In just around two seconds from 80 to 100.

I must have a really good internet connection, but then again, I never had any problems with console updates. Only 2-3 times with game updates.

I had no issues in my case. I did notice it was on 99% for a while, I switched the TV to my PS4 for a few minutes do stuff in the mean time. Then I tuned back into my PS3 and it was installing at 11%. Two minutes later, back to the XMB Menu.

I have feels for those experiencing issues with the new update. I’m quite interested which PS3 models you guys are using. I’ve been using a 320GB Slim model I bought second hand (pre-owned) at EB Games back in June/July 2017 because my previous Fat model I’ve had for almost a decade became a chore to turn on (3 beeps 5 seconds after almost every time I attempted to turn it on).

Mine has an SSD installed, the update took one minute without hanging at 99%. The bar went straight from 60 to 100%. 

When Sony releases an update for PS4 (similarly to NVIDIA and their sucky drivers), I always check on internet if people are having a common problem. 

The problem may not be the update, but your PS3. The console does a check-up looking for faulty modules (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc), and refuses to install the firmware.

• Like 1