Ranger Hardcore Difficulty

LethalLuke1993

The original Ranger Hardcore was just a hard mode with no hud, Metro's never had manual saves (Just platinumed 2033 Redux). I did it in Last Light (back when the mode was a pre-order bonus if anyone remembers that bs fiasco..000) blind and didn't have much trouble. Worst parts are when QTEs occur cause the game hides them with the hud. 

• Like 1

Another downside are the checkpoints which sometimes can occur on the worst possible moment. I remember on the first Metro I was suddenly stuck on a bridge and couldn climb up so I had to do some Mirrors Edge shit to get up again, and everytime I failed I fall in water, reload and had to move while the screen was still black or otherwise I would immediately fall into the water ... only other alternative would be to start a new game. Though I dont know if thats even possible in Metro Exodus, but I've read that the checkpoints can be somewhat of a bitch sometimes.

I tried to do Metro Last Light on Ranger Hardcore and not kill any human enemies... I couldn't quite manage it (and killed someone). I am excited for this because I felt the stealth was tailored to avoid conflict where possible... or get close for knockouts. Any open-area combat might get a little hairy...

On 16/02/2019 at 10:59 PM, SirBaronOBeefdip said:

Ok important question. Does Hardcore Range mode in Exodus show QTE's or does it hide them like it did in last Last?

Because I want to that difficulty but only if they show QTEs.

That was/is the only deal breaker for me.

Don't let it be a deal breaker. Even if this is the case, you could probably watch a video or try and memorize where and what the QTE's are. I agree its stupid, but it shouldn't be a massive issue. 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, SirBaronOBeefdip said:

Ok important question. Does Hardcore Range mode in Exodus show QTE's or does it hide them like it did in last Last?

Just spam □

On 2/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, SirBaronOBeefdip said:

You can turn on "hold" instead of "tap" for QTEs in the accessibility settings. That should help quite a bit. 

Already on the Caspian level and have to say that I find ranger mode more annoying than skill demanding.

One of the big problems are the checkpoints + loading time.  The game been somewhat clunky doesn't help either, so gunfights have to be very slow.  There is almost no ammo but that's to be expected and human enemies usually one shot You.... so again, take it slow.  QTE aren't a problem.

It's still pretty damn fun tho but I dread the last level of the game (tunnel part). :'/

• Like 1

Quick question, not really about the difficulty though.  I have this game ready to go on my hard drive but can't figure out if I want to play through it on the default difficulty to learn the layout of the game and the new crafting mechanics along with getting the collectibles or if I want to start on Ranger Hardcore and try for all of the collectibles on that difficulty.  While I definitely want the plat I also want to enjoy my first playthrough of the game.  While it's all opinion based, would it be a better idea to start out on a lower difficulty so I can enjoy the game and then go for Ranger Hardcore last?  ?

1 hour ago, SirShavesALot said:

Quick question, not really about the difficulty though.  I have this game ready to go on my hard drive but can't figure out if I want to play through it on the default difficulty to learn the layout of the game and the new crafting mechanics along with getting the collectibles or if I want to start on Ranger Hardcore and try for all of the collectibles on that difficulty.  While I definitely want the plat I also want to enjoy my first playthrough of the game.  While it's all opinion based, would it be a better idea to start out on a lower difficulty so I can enjoy the game and then go for Ranger Hardcore last?  1f914.png

You will have to finish the game twice anyway so i recommend playing the game on the default difficulty get the collectibles and go for the Ranger Hardcore in the second playthrough.

Edited by n9rawy_5220
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Valkirye22 said:

This is a common but very silly question in my mind - I play games to enjoy them, if I do enjoy them enough, I plat them. If you look at trophy lists and requirements before even playing the game then you've lost touch and actual interest in the game. Leave the trophies for later, enjoy it. Hardest difficulties are to test your skill, knowledge and what you've learned not to break yourself starting up.

Ranger hardcore will be extremely difficult if you don't know the layout or the mechanics. Starting on it will not be fun.

If you don't want to fly through it play it on normal or hard, enjoy the story, don't care about the outcomes, trophies etc. It's a great game with an amazing atmosphere worth playing for playing sake.

That being said some of the shooting/movement mechanics of this game are not that polished so to speak which does complicate things further than the difficulty. My approach and the one I can recommend is a normal playthrough for the sake of gaming. A quick second playthrough on reader difficulty for all the collectibles and misc trophies (all can be done in one).

And finally your last playthrough on Ranger Hardcore. You need to know where to go as you don't have enough ammo or health to fight everyone and you can run past most mutants and situations,

prioritize stealth and only go for the most necessary upgrades and focus on the main story not roaming.

But if you want to torture yourself or break the impression the game will have on first try, I'm just a guy on a forum so go for it.

Thank you and @n9rawy_5220 for the great replies.  Once I do a little more cleanup on KH3 I will be diving back into the Metro.  Can't wait!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SirShavesALot said:

Quick question, not really about the difficulty though.  I have this game ready to go on my hard drive but can't figure out if I want to play through it on the default difficulty to learn the layout of the game and the new crafting mechanics along with getting the collectibles or if I want to start on Ranger Hardcore and try for all of the collectibles on that difficulty.  While I definitely want the plat I also want to enjoy my first playthrough of the game.  While it's all opinion based, would it be a better idea to start out on a lower difficulty so I can enjoy the game and then go for Ranger Hardcore last?  1f914.png

Hardcore then Ranger.  

• Like 1