SnowbellKitty

My first PS4 title (and some questions)

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I know, technically, this is a PS3 game. After watching many reviews on it, I was still in doubt and undecided about getting it or not. The reviews are too short (5 to 11 minutes), and all they do, at least to a non-anime/non-JRPG guy like me, is confuse me even more and make the game seem impossible to play if one is not a part of the niche target group this game was made for. The reviews also alternate too quickly between footage of the metaverse and of Shibuya, and cramming a lot of information in the short video (also too quickly) while the footage is still shifting constantly, and this was all very confusing to me.

So, because reviews are so messy when a JRPG is concerned, I decided to watch a playthrough instead, and even though I spoiled the first eight hours of gameplay to myself (Kamoshida, fancy celebration at the hotel), it was worth it. I am in love with this game, even though I hate anime and turn-based combat. Now, it's become my first PS4 Blu-Ray too. I got it this week. I don't have the console yet, and I can't wait to play it. The part I am mostly looking forward to enjoy is the real world aspect of the game, and interactions/dialogues during it. It's genius!

Unfortunately I don't remember right now all the questions that popped up in my mind when I watched the playthrough from JohnAwesome, but here are a few of them:

1- Is it even remotely possible to craft the infinite lockpick before Kamoshida's dungeon/castle? If not, when is the earliest opportunity to craft it ?;

2- The youtuber seemed to know which personas and powers he needed and when he needed them, as well as the weaknesses of shadows and in which fights a certain shadow wouldn't have any weaknesses. He also seemed to know beforehand which of his characters was gonna be attacked by a shadow, so he would GUARD with that character only and still attack the shadow with the others. How the heck can one know/do all of that? (for example, the game does not always tell if a shadow has a weakness or not, and which weaknesses they are);

3- If you idle, does time still pass? I am curious, because getting lost in the station or Shibuya would mean losing time if also passes when one idles;

4- What are the differences between expensive drugs and cheap ones, besides prices?;

5- Are the paid DLCs necessary?;

6- How can you keep track of what to do/buy in which weekdays (to maximize stats)?;

7- What are the most effective ways to grind/farm money?

8- How to know when and if you are ready for the toughest shadows and the boss in every dungeon ? (before tackling the treasures, I mean);

9- If you miss a deadline, is it really game over, or time just rewinds itself a few weeks so you can try again ?

That's all I remember I wanted to ask for now.

Edited by ShepardNMDY

@ShepardNMDY Hopefully, this is somewhat helpful. Can't answer them all fully, but you get the idea.

1. The infinite lockpick can't be made until towards the end of the game. When exactly? I'm not sure.

2. You can check the enemy's weakness in the game if you fought it before. The person playing probably has it memorized along with the enemy's attack patterns. Enemies usually have a method to their madness. 

3. You pass time with events only that only you can tell the game when to trigger. Staying idle does not effect your game.

4. Higher price = better healing/buffs. More bang for your buck.

5. Absolutely not. Most of it is cosmetic or you can get a Persona that breaks the game. Not needed for any of the trophies.

6. The game tracks it for you, but you'd need a guide to maximize it on your first playthrough (though, I got really, really close on my blind playthrough). There is margin for error, but not much on the first playthrough. Second playthrough would be child's play to maximize everything because your social stats carry over, but not your confidant ranks which saves you a ton of time.

7. You can confuse a specific enemy in Momentos to throw money at you. You'll have to YouTube it. Otherwise, going to Momentos and searching around for treasures is the easiest way. You can grind 250K an hour by just running around.

8. If you are on the same level as the average enemy, you're always good. Sometimes, it just depends on what Personas and abilities you have. I've seen videos of people beating the Reaper legit on level 1 with the DLC Persona or beating the twins at level 1 with Yoshitune. I was underleveled for most of the game until I beat the reaper during flu season. Literally, it's the easiest method to grow levels. However, I had really good Personas which made up for the fact that I was underleveled.

9. You only rewind a week, but lose all your progress for that one week.

I would like to add the following:

1. Infinite lockpick, and all other tools for that matter, are part of Morgana's confidant level progression, which levels up as you complete palaces or certain story parts. I think you get the ability to make all tools at magician (Morgana's confidant) rank 7, or sometimes between the time that you finish the fourth palace and before you start the fifth palace.

2. To add to beyondthegrave's reply, you can check who takes the next action by pressing the down button on the d-pad.

7. The method i used to grind was using Mementos Requests. Sometime after clearing the first palace, Mishima makes the Phan-Site for you, whoch attracts Requests made by public of corrupted people, but those people's corrupted desires didn't turn into a palace obviously or else there would have been too many palaces, so you just use Mementos for the general public requests. Some of the requests' bosses have a weakness to Confuse ailment, which makes the enemy or ally throw money or an item, or simply not act at all. If mementos bosses are confused, their money output is far greather than any normal enemy. How much money the boss throws depends on the equipped Persona's luck stat, which you can increase with level ups and equipment. Note that these bosses are missable, and not all of them can be confused, so you have to keep a checklist of which ones can and always try to confuse them.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I can't wait to get the console now. This game is freaking awesome!

I am pretty sure you can change the difficulty setting at any time. Also this game has NG+ (which is required for Plat).

The guide here is pretty good for trophies, but if you want to max shit perfect I think GameFAQs has a couple. I'm currently replaying it to get the Plat. (I screwed up and missed late game treasure monsters which are only available in dungeons and didn't have an old save)

@mako-heart

I know that about the difficulty. I spoiled the whole Kamoshida part of the story for myself, but I intend to go in blind for the rest of the ride. If I need help, then the internet will be there.

As for trophies, I will try to worry about them later to not spoil more of the game for me. That will be easier said than done though, as I always check trophy guides before playing anything.

6 hours ago, ShepardNMDY said:

Hi everyone. I know, technically, this is a PS3 game. After watching many reviews on it, I was still in doubt and undecided about getting it or not. The reviews are too short (5 to 11 minutes), and all they do, at least to a non-anime/non-JRPG guy like me, is confuse me even more and make the game seem impossible to play if one is not a part of the niche target group this game was made for. The reviews also alternate too quickly between footage of the metaverse and of Shibuya, and cramming a lot of information in the short video (also too quickly) while the footage is still shifting constantly, and this was all very confusing to me.

So, because reviews are so messy when a JRPG is concerned, I decided to watch a playthrough instead, and even though I spoiled the first eight hours of gameplay to myself (Kamoshida, fancy celebration at the hotel), it was worth it. I am in love with this game, even though I hate anime and turn-based combat. Now, it's become my first PS4 Blu-Ray too. I got it this week. I don't have the console yet, and I can't wait to play it. The part I am mostly looking forward to enjoy is the real world aspect of the game, and interactions/dialogues during it. It's genius!

Unfortunately I don't remember right now all the questions that popped up in my mind when I watched the playthrough from JohnAwesome, but here are a few of them:

1- Is it even remotely possible to craft the infinite lockpick before Kamoshida's dungeon/castle? If not, when is the earliest opportunity to craft it ?;

2- The youtuber seemed to know which personas and powers he needed and when he needed them, as well as the weaknesses of shadows and in which fights a certain shadow wouldn't have any weaknesses. He also seemed to know beforehand which of his characters was gonna be attacked by a shadow, so he would GUARD with that character only and still attack the shadow with the others. How the heck can one know/do all of that? (for example, the game does not always tell if a shadow has a weakness or not, and which weaknesses they are);

3- If you idle, does time still pass? I am curious, because getting lost in the station or Shibuya would mean losing time if also passes when one idles;

4- What are the differences between expensive drugs and cheap ones, besides prices?;

5- Are the paid DLCs necessary?;

6- How can you keep track of what to do/buy in which weekdays (to maximize stats)?;

7- What are the most effective ways to grind/farm money?

8- How to know when and if you are ready for the toughest shadows and the boss in every dungeon ? (before tackling the treasures, I mean);

9- If you miss a deadline, is it really game over, or time just rewinds itself a few weeks so you can try again ?

That's all I remember I wanted to ask for now.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74661

This for the most part will maximize your time use and even give you a few days free time to do anything u missed or something there's a couple miss steps so save often but u will usually by that time realize the mis step in the guide and know to fix it but again save often and in separate slots 

Also if u want to wait Abit optimusmart on here is creating a comprehensive guide I believe will lead you to the plat and get you the full experience with the most enjoyment so far what I've seen of their progress they have shown it looks spectacular