PS Vita Sync Bug

jayboo1991

I just got my 3rd Vita Console from repair back and tested a game by started it.

Since my data wasn't synced there, I got a trophy and didn't noticed that this would affect an old list I completed years ago.

Now I got the "Boot up the game" trophy for this game without a timestamp and the list came up as lately played.

2 questions:

1. Can I get my old timestamp back somehow?

2. Is there a reason for a flag in case of such bugs? I hid it for now, since it annoys me but sooner or later I guess, I would like to unhide that again.

1 hour ago, jayboo1991 said:

2 questions:

1. Can I get my old timestamp back somehow?

2. Is there a reason for a flag in case of such bugs? I hid it for now, since it annoys me but sooner or later I guess, I would like to unhide that again.

1- no. once it's missing timestamps, it will stay that way forever.

2- not in your case.

should have done the standart procedure of wiping the vita and connecting to PSN though

27 minutes ago, jayboo1991 said:

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Didn't thought, that a missing time stamp overwrites an existing one as well and it wasn't even planned, to get a trophy and sync it .. just happened by testing out the console 1f636.png

Just a heads up though, and I think you know why I'm telling you this, and you're not in trouble yet. Even if we don't display anything other than the missing timestamp on the site, it doesn't mean the flagging team can't dig up the original ones. It seems you're genuinely sorry you lost the original timestamps, and that's good, because you should try to avoid missing timestamps! Enough missing timestamps, especially suspicious ones (earned late on your profile, or what seems to cover up cheating etc) will get you off the leaderboards again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Just a heads up though, and I think you know why I'm telling you this, and you're not in trouble yet. Even if we don't display anything other than the missing timestamp on the site, it doesn't mean the flagging team can't dig up the original ones. It seems you're genuinely sorry you lost the original timestamps, and that's good, because you should try to avoid missing timestamps! Enough missing timestamps, especially suspicious ones (earned late on your profile, or what seems to cover up cheating etc) will get you off the leaderboards again.

Yeah sure .. believe me, it annoys me, that this happened .. I would like to replay the whole game, if I could reset the trophy list because that missing time stamp looks shit in one of my fav games .. looking forward, when Sony allows to reset trophy lists for money :P

45 minutes ago, BigBossImBeamer said:

It probably has nothing to do with "earlier". If existing timestamps would take precedence over missing timestamps, it would create immpossible timestamps in most cases even if you only do things that aren't flaggable.

I was mostly just referring to situations where there already is a timestamp on the server and it replaces it with a missing timestamp. Obviously a missing timestamp should never be replaced by a proper one because it already signifies that a trophy was earned at some point. But replacing a proper timestamp with a missing one just doesn't seem to make sense to me from a system design point of view, as it's essentially changing the value of a data point to contain less data than it previously had.

16 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

I was mostly just referring to situations where there already is a timestamp on the server and it replaces it with a missing timestamp. Obviously a missing timestamp should never be replaced by a proper one because it already signifies that a trophy was earned at some point. But replacing a proper timestamp with a missing one just doesn't seem to make sense to me from a system design point of view, as it's essentially changing the value of a data point to contain less data than it previously had.

It depends on how the system detects the missing timestamp. The obvious option for us humans would be to use the one with a valid timestamp but machines can be stupid if not programmed correctly. I faintly remember that this site used to detect missing timestamps with a much earlier date to the point that if you went and checked some profiles with missing timestamps it would say something like "completed 50 years ago" or trophy earned in 1970 (not sure about the exact year it stated at the time) when trophies weren't even 5 years old at the time.

EDIT: Another way to see it is that timestamp is an integer number like 201902171110 that increases with time. A missing timestamp is a NULL value, it doesn't exist. In a correct system to us, it would always see NULL as something to discard when it sees a valid number. But the way it might work is that it sees NULL as the number 0 which is valid and since time increases the number 0 will always be smaller no matter if the timestamp is valid or not.

Edited by TugaSonic

1 minute ago, BigBossImBeamer said:

The thing is existing timestamps get overritten by older timestamps to fix the order if you play on two different systems. It's possible that a missing timestamp is actually older than an already synced existing timestamp. But if the system would ignore this possibility then it would be impossible to fix the order if you play on two different systems, even if you did nothing wrong and only did thing that aren't flaggable. I know it's kind of weird, but it's the only logical solution.

Yeah, the earlier timestamp has better data, thus it replaces the new timestamp. Because logically thinking the earlier timestamp represents that actual point in time when a trophy was earned.

And yeah, you are absolutely correct. I just wasn't thinking of the other property of the missing timestamps, which is that it always has the potential of being an earlier date than an actual timestamp. As in, because it does not contain any data that refers to an exact time point, it can  refer to any time, and thus should logically exclude an actual proper timestamp because it always has the potential of being the actual time a trophy was first earned.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thur, 16th may 2019

Dear Forum I would be very grateful, if someone could please help me.

I have spent quite a lot of time remodifying the settings on my PSVita and my PSN profile account.

The problem that I have is my psn profile and psn account are not syncing I have hidden the games that I'm not using from my profile but I can not remember which settings it is or where the settings are to unhide the hidden games, so that it can sync properly.

Many thanks.

REDNEG81