So what are your first impression of Exodus?

Quink666

How do you guys think it compares to the two previous installments?

I like it so far. It still has that Metro soul.

Not a big fan off the open world maps, but that is mainly because Artyom can only run for 10 seconds at a time which makes it tedious to cover long distances.

Not to mention the mans rowing skills, a one armed monkey to row faster =>

I also like the ability to change weapon equipment on the fly. Go 4x scope for some longer distance and then back to reflex.

Upgrades are also a nice touch even though the only really useful ones seem to be extra ammo and extended filter.

To bad you can't equip them all at the same time.

• Like 1

I think the game's strong points are its story and atmosphere, it also looks really good - as you said feels very Metro-y.

Artyom's movement I can get behind being a bit sluggish, I understand they went for it intentionally this is not supposed to be a twitchy FPS but it could be bit smoother.
Can't really find the sweet spot for view and aim sensitivity it's either under or over what I'd like with a little delay.

The only thing I particularly dislike about the game are some of the open world aspects e.g. water mutants, really, Artyom paddles like a paraplegic and it's gets stale getting hit by shrimp spit or slowly taken out of the slow paddle animation to kill them. And all the ammo is wasted as they produce no resources. And the AI seems to ignore itself sometimes, e.g. Demons annoying me while engaging bandits point blank next to a building with them running around in the open not even caring for the mutants or watchmen running next to enemies to get to me.

Still, a good 4/5 for me. Finished the story today and really enjoyed it, can recommend it to anyone on the fence about buying it.

Now for the platinum.

• Like 1

My very first thoughts were, "I need to find the sensitivity settings". I had to jack all of them to max and it still took some getting used to but at least it didn't feel like I was wading through mud.

I knew from the very first time they said "open world" that it would not beat 2033. I'm liking it a lot and by the end maybe more than Last Light. 2033 just had an atmosphere and feel to it that an open world can not possibly compete with for me. That said I do like the open world. It opens up a lot of possibilities based on where the story went that I think are being put to good use. 

The only thing I don't like is how scarce things are made, but in the open world I know it makes more sense than in the confines of the Metro. I don't think a workbench should be necessary to clean your weapon either. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't think a workbench should be necessary to clean your weapon either. 

I hate that aswell. If you accidentally jump in some puddles or get in a sandstorm, your weapons goes from clean to unusable in an instant. Forcing you to look for a safe house with a bench. Extremely annoying.

• Like 2

I'm nearing the end of the desert level and I have to say, so far I am loving this game. It doesn't feel like a Metro game, yet it still has a lot of its qualities and charm.

The open world bits are very impressive and really drive home that survival feeling where resources are sparse and anything can jump you at any time (last night I got bit by a snake, like wtf?). An above post mentions that it can be tedious moving around the open world sometimes, and whilst I can see why that would be an issue for some, I am loving just walking around and existing in the open worlds, much like I did with Skyrim (I never used fast travel in Skyrim, the world was too beautiful for that.)

The missions where you go back underground bring back the familiar feeling of the old Metro games, although so far, they are few and far between and don’t last very long.

Also the production value on everything has gone way up. The voice acting is still a bit hammy but the writing is a lot better than the previous games and of course I don’t need to tell you that it looks utterly gorgeous. Easily the best looking game on PS4 yet, and I’m playing on a standard PS4, I’d love to see it on a Pro, or better yet a high end PC.

My only real gripe so far is the loading times, they are ridiculously long. But for a game as gorgeous and detailed as it is, I can understand.

All in all, I can’t wait to see where the game takes me next.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

My only real gripe so far is the loading times, they are ridiculously long. But for a game as gorgeous and detailed as it is, I can understand.

Yeah this is my biggest complaint that I forgot to add. These load times are absolutely atrocious. There are times where I think the game just stopped working that's how long it takes. At least with AC Odyssey, which has the longest loading times I've ever encountered, there's a bar for load progress. I have zero idea what those flipping numbers on the bottom right of the screen in Exodus are meant to be lol.

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with my system since it's been happening more and more frequently the past year...but there are parts where the graphics don't render in right away. It will take a bit and I'm able to watch it smooth itself out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Yeah this is my biggest complaint that I forgot to add. These load times are absolutely atrocious. There are times where I think the game just stopped working that's how long it takes. At least with AC Odyssey, which has the longest loading times I've ever encountered, there's a bar for load progress. I have zero idea what those flipping numbers on the bottom right of the screen in Exodus are meant to be lol.

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with my system since it's been happening more and more frequently the past year...but there are parts where the graphics don't render in right away. It will take a bit and I'm able to watch it smooth itself out.

If you want to lower your loading standards try Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 hahahaha

That damn thing took like 10 minutes to load between areas (every time)

Also required to fall back to patch 1.00 (where half of the other things were broken) to unglitch certain trophies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Numbers go to 100 im guessing.  At around 86 or 96 is when it's complete.

• Like 2

I'm quite enjoying it myself. When I picked it up, I was wandering around on the first level for eight hours. EIGHT HOURS! 

I have to agree with some of you; the boat is absolutely atrocious, the shrimp need a freaking time out (for real) and what's with the ghouls? They don't seem to die easily unless they get a good shot (or two!) in the face. And there are sooo many. I had just gotten the van in the desert level last night and I stopped driving to listen to one of those broadcasts. All of a sudden a damn demon snatched me out of the driver seat! How is that even friggin' possible? I was expecting the van to slightly lift and drop.. It's what ever but for real, wtf lol. Oh and I wish you could craft everything you can at a work bench from your pack out in the field. You know, considering there are enemies everywhere. Just makes sense. 

I also agree the loading times are long as hell but it doesn't bother me much. The game is beautiful and any chance I get, I'm taking full advantage of the photo mode. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

If you want to lower your loading standards try Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 hahahaha

That damn thing took like 10 minutes to load between areas (every time)

Also required to fall back to patch 1.00 (where half of the other things were broken) to unglitch certain trophies

No thanks lol. I timed it and Odyssey took me 10 minutes once to get into the game. I don't know what it is with the load times on the games I play nowadays. Dragon Age series is horrendous for it too.

8 minutes ago, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

Numbers go to 100 im guessing.  At around 86 or 96 is when it's complete.

I was pretty sure I saw my numbers go past 100 once. They pop up from time to time in the game too.

1 minute ago, xMissFantasy said:

I'm quite enjoying it myself. When I picked it up, I was wandering around on the first level for eight hours. EIGHT HOURS! 

I have to agree with some of you; the boat is absolutely atrocious, the shrimp need a freaking time out (for real) and what's with the ghouls? They don't seem to die easily unless they get a good shot (or two!) in the face. And there are sooo many. I had just gotten the van in the desert level last night and I stopped driving to listen to one of those broadcasts. All of a sudden a damn demon snatched me out of the driver seat! How is that even friggin' possible? I was expecting the van to slightly lift and drop.. It's what ever but for real, wtf lol. Oh and I wish you could craft everything you can at a work bench from your pack out in the field. You know, considering there are enemies everywhere. Just makes sense. 

I also agree the loading times are long as hell but it doesn't bother me much. The game is beautiful and any chance I get, I'm taking full advantage of the photo mode. 

The demon hasn't brought me out of the van. :o It's hit the van a bunch of times but it's never actually dragged me out. I would be pissed because I pretty much stay in low health and I use the van for protection lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The demon hasn't brought me out of the van. :o It's hit the van a bunch of times but it's never actually dragged me out. I would be pissed because I pretty much stay in low health and I use the van for protection lol.

I was so mad, I pulled out my sniper and shot that asshole in the head lmao. Stay away from them demons! :P 

• Like 2

On 17-2-2019 at 8:59 AM, Quink666 said:

How do you guys think it compares to the two previous installments?

I like it so far. It still has that Metro soul.

Not a big fan off the open world maps, but that is mainly because Artyom can only run for 10 seconds at a time which makes it tedious to cover long distances.

Not to mention the mans rowing skills, a one armed monkey to row faster =>

I like the game unfortunately have not had much time to play yet.

The Metro Soul yes still there. Most sensible if you then also play on Ranger Hardcore.That makes the difficulty as intended by the devs.

The open world like maps I love them compared to the linear previous maps. They give a lot more freedom. (in getting chomped by hyperactive shrimp gotta bring some ritalin next time)

Gotta say I agree even I can row faster then Artyom.

The crafting is a nice improvement you can carry little amounts of ammo and filters crafting on spot helps with this, cleaning is so so. I mean maybe add portable wipes to clean while on long travel.

First encounter with a demon was at a nest he/she/it was unlucky got a bullet to the brains.

The "little" spiders that crawl on you if you burn their webs made my girlfriend scream. Does anyone get itchy after one of those?

• Like 1

It took until the end of the Volga area to click with me, but I'm pretty much in love now. Some aspects are a little tiresome and obtuse, but it's better than a design-by-commity, modern AAA game because it knows what it wants to be. Also really glad I upgrade to an SSD based on what everyone has said about the load times. I thought that they were long for me, can't even imagine what they would be like on the stock drive.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

It took until the end of the Volga area to click with me, but I'm pretty much in love now. Some aspects are a little tiresome and obtuse, but it's better than a design-by-commity, modern AAA game because it knows what it wants to be. Also really glad I upgrade to an SSD based on what everyone has said about the load times. I thought that they were long for me, can't even imagine what they would be like on the stock drive.

Now that I've finished my first run, the bold is pretty much where I'm at. I wasn't feeling the game while in Volga because it was too drastic a difference from the games before. Moving on to the other areas and playing there I started getting into it more. Caspian level was more of the same, but the Taiga was more linear and if I hadn't gone for the Forest Child trophy I would have enjoyed it more. (I'm going to fuck shit up there when I go for my bad run. :devil:)

At the end I'm still very adamant that cleaning your weapon should not require a bench. Especially after the bullshit you get into during Dead City. 

I was a little bummed that my favorite character didn't show up. Without spoiling it though I have zero idea how the devs handled him based on what I read though. Seems a bit contradictory unless you go down the hallucination route.

If there is another game I'm really looking forward to what happens. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Now that I've finished my first run, the bold is pretty much where I'm at. I wasn't feeling the game while in Volga because it was too drastic a difference from the games before. Moving on to the other areas and playing there I started getting into it more. Caspian level was more of the same, but the Taiga was more linear and if I hadn't gone for the Forest Child trophy I would have enjoyed it more. (I'm going to fuck shit up there when I go for my bad run. :devil:)

At the end I'm still very adamant that cleaning your weapon should not require a bench. Especially after the bullshit you get into during Dead City. 

I was a little bummed that my favorite character didn't show up. Without spoiling it though I have zero idea how the devs handled him based on what I read though. Seems a bit contradictory unless you go down the hallucination route.

If there is another game I'm really looking forward to what happens. 

While I definitely agree you should be able to clean your weapon off-bench - I don't know why Dead City annoys everyone so much...

Spoiler

You can get through the first few Nosalises encounters with the bulldog or shambler, then you get access to Miller's rail gun (clean) and just use it to one shot wreck everyone and everything until the Blind Ones. I used solely the rail gun from the Kiril encounter to the Blind ones, no need for cleaning and I wiped the whole putrid area with it after initial nosalises on ranger hardcore.

Maybe it gets broken until the Blind Ones but you sneak past those anyway, no point fighting..

5 hours ago, medenko1975 said:

anyone making guide?

I think most trophies are really self explanatory and require no special guidance, there are several youtube videos with all collectibles and stealth parts and there is another thread here where I explained the outcomes (good/bad). If you're struggling with something else, ask :)

5 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

While I definitely agree you should be able to clean your weapon off-bench - I don't know why Dead City annoys everyone so much...

It didn't annoy me itself, but the fact that I couldn't clean my weapon when I needed to when I really should have been able to. The only part that kind of annoyed me was the section with the Blind Ones. They littered the entire area with glass so even when crouched and moving a couple millimeters every hour, it made no difference. I ended up learning where I needed to go and then bum rushing the entire thing. 

I will say that the trick I was using most of the game was keep the weapon you use least out so it gets dirty and not the others. (It was the Tikhar for me and then the Crossbow.)

21 minutes ago, medenko1975 said:

što ima? :P

what's up....

so 1st run hardest run + bad end and then easiest + good run + all trophies?

1. Normal or Hard run, explore everything, I'd suggest going for the good ending and enjoying the whole game

2. Collectible run on easy, kills farming, stealth sections, bad ending

3. Ranger Hardcore (learn the maps, enemies, resources, routes) focus on main story and push through

2 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

It didn't annoy me itself, but the fact that I couldn't clean my weapon when I needed to when I really should have been able to. The only part that kind of annoyed me was the section with the Blind Ones. They littered the entire area with glass so even when crouched and moving a couple millimeters every hour, it made no difference. I ended up learning where I needed to go and then bum rushing the entire thing. 

I will say that the trick I was using most of the game was keep the weapon you use least out so it gets dirty and not the others. (It was the Tikhar for me and then the Crossbow.)

You should have been able to clean the guns off bench but it should costs slightly more then when doing at a bench. A real dirty weapons costs 26 chemicals to clean fully at a bench, so when cleaning in the field it should costs maybe 50? Would have made the game more enjoyable imho.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, xMissFantasy said:

All of a sudden a damn demon snatched me out of the driver seat! How is that even friggin' possible? I was expecting the van to slightly lift and drop.. It's what ever but for real, wtf lol. 

So...this finally happened to me. On fucking Ranger Hardcore naturally. I thought I drove off a cliff in the dark or something because the van started shaking like crazy and then I started glitching around and saw the van phasing in and out of existence. Then I got up and saw a demon flying away. :rolleyes: Then Artyom decided he'd be a little bitch and not get out of the van. :angry: (he glitched when I pressed :square: and froze in place.)