Help! My PS3 keeps turning off!

navep9

Almost immediately.  Sometimes it actually lets me play games though.  Every time it turns of though, the red light keeps blinking, and if I hit the power button it goes to the normal "off" state.

Almost immediately.  Sometimes it actually lets me play games though.  Every time it turns of though, the red light keeps blinking, and if I hit the power button it goes to the normal "off" state.

That's definitely the YLOD , my friend just the other day had this happen to him and had to buy another ps3 unfortunately ,

don't play it and buy an external HDD and backup all of your stuff asap . 

Edited by TheBolloxx

That's definitely the YLOD , my friend just the other day had this happen to him and had to buy another ps3 unfortunately ,

don't play it and buy an external HDD and backup all of your stuff asap . 

Is the YLOD even possible on a PS3 Slim?  Anyway, this system is about 3 years old... I guess I should've expected it.  Ive backed up all of my saves that I think I may still have a chance to platinum.  I might as well make my peace with it...

Is the YLOD even possible on a PS3 Slim?  Anyway, this system is about 3 years old... I guess I should've expected it.  Ive backed up all of my saves that I think I may still have a chance to platinum.  I might as well make my peace with it...

i don't know how or if it's possible on a Slim but that's the exact same thing that happened to my friend .

i don't know how or if it's possible on a Slim but that's the exact same thing that happened to my friend .

The funny thing is though, Ive never seen the yellow light.  It has always been straight from green to red, and its still working at some parts.  I just cant believe my luck though.  It decides to fuck up the day Last of Us comes out and 6 months before the PS4.  I dont even know if it will be worth it to get a new PS3.

YLOD is possible on any model of ps3. It's a system failure. Something is wrong with the hardware or software. There are temporary fixes, like rebooting the hdd to default so it has to redetect the issue, but unless you find the problem and fix it, it will return.

Be bet is to get a new ps3, a vita, or wait for ps4 at the end of the year. Vita is the cheapest option, but ps3s are fairly cheap now. I got my crystal white super slim for 300. Vita is 250.

Turn your tv onto the channel needed for your PS3, then hold down the power button untill you hear two beeps ( it may take a few times for the two beeps to sound ) this will pop up the mini boot menu. You can attempt to reset the machine and also rebuild the hardrive from here. I did this with my 60gb and i managed to get a few more months out of it but it is a very temporary fix, eventualy it wont turn on at all.

Just make sure you back everything up before you do this if you can.

This sounds exactly what started happening to my 80GB PS3 two years ago.  It started shutting off sporadically, then it started doing it more often, and within less time after I turned it on.  Eventually it wouldn't even turn on, and I got YLOD.

Right now your unit shuts off, because it overheats to the point where the CPU shuts down.  But that leads to YLOD, because it deteriorates solder joints on the CPU/GPU.  One other thing you should check is your fan.  Make sure it's actually spinning.  I was keeping my fatty alive, by reflowing joints using hair-dryer.   It required me taking it apart and putting it together over and over every couple weeks.  At one point I forgot to plug the fan in, and it ended up getting that red error light, so it can be just a faulty fan on your end, and they're cheap to replace.

I have the occasional problem with my PS3. I got it for christmas, and I play it for a few hours each day. My brother plays it sometimes too. Anyway, there are times when the system completely freezes, and the only thing I'm able to do is turn it off by pressing the power button on the console itself. Anyone know what this means?