New to game: Need help

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone, 

Started the game yesterday. Was impressed at the visuals but more so by the voice acting from all so far. Not a tonne of dialog but what it said its performed perfectly. 

But as for the actual gameplay I'm super stumped. I've just finished the section where you return the light and then travelled back to Midgard. The two drawfs each gave me a side quest but I just don't know what the hell is going on. I can't figure if the game has fast travel or if you have to walk everywhere. 

Also whats with the upgrades. Is the aim to upgrade every single thing within the game or can you only upgrade so much due to the game having an economy of sorts?

Any advice would be appreciated as this game is renowned among gamers as being ace, but so far it seems like one big mess to me, but I don't want it to be. 

43 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone, 

Started the game yesterday. Was impressed at the visuals but more so by the voice acting from all so far. Not a tonne of dialog but what it said its performed perfectly. 

But as for the actual gameplay I'm super stumped. I've just finished the section where you return the light and then travelled back to Midgard. The two drawfs each gave me a side quest but I just don't know what the hell is going on. I can't figure if the game has fast travel or if you have to walk everywhere. 

Also whats with the upgrades. Is the aim to upgrade every single thing within the game or can you only upgrade so much due to the game having an economy of sorts?

Any advice would be appreciated as this game is renowned among gamers as being ace, but so far it seems like one big mess to me, but I don't want it to be. 

Hi. Its been a while since ive played it but brok will tell u bout fast travel and i think at first u can only travel back to the shop but latet on when u find a mystic gateway in each area u can fast travel back to it in future. I cant really remember about upgrades sorry

There is no trophy for upgrading everything (apart from upgrading your weapon and one runic attack) so you can use your xp freely. Upgrading Atreus is surprisingly useful.

You don't have to upgrade every rune attack for the axe. Just use the one you like and upgrade that. With the Leviathan axe I used the same light rune attack from the moment I got it to the end of the game. It was the one that lets you throw the axe far away. I did change the heavy rune attack. 

Also if you do a lot of the side quests you will have more than enough xp to buy anything you want.

5 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hi everyone, 

Does the game feel like a mess because you don't know how to play it?  Most of the issues you're having are solved from playing the game.  Don't worry about upgrades so much.  Just upgrade what you want when you want.  The game is pretty big and you'll have plenty of time to figure out which weapons/gear you like and how to upgrade it.  Fast travel opens up later but for now I'm sorry you're gonna have to explore the world, as tragic as that might be.  

I guess what I'm saying is to just play the game.  If you're not liking it then don't play it and move on.  

Cheers everyone,

Oh I definitely like it, its just a bit messy to figure out at first. Anyway gonna go back and put some more time into the game. Cheers again. 

EDIT

Just a couple of more things to ask. 

Where you have your health stats and stuff, mine is currently around 74 for strength but thats not even a quarter of the actual bar filled. At what score does strength and other skills reach?

Also.

A lot of enemies can 1-hit kill me. I can avoid this by letting the kid interupt them with an arrow, but is that really the only way to fight them as it seems a bit s**t to be honest. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Started doing the challenges on that lava area. Got to area 5 and then it gave a 'avoid damage' challenge. Straight away I knew this would be horrible due to the camera allowing for too many off-camera hits as well as projectiles.... And I was right. 

Anyone got any advice for this. The game has a low trophy difficulty rating, but this stage alone pisses all over the climax battles from the Yakuza series which I thought were horrid. 

43 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

Started doing the challenges on that lava area. Got to area 5 and then it gave a 'avoid damage' challenge. Straight away I knew this would be horrible due to the camera allowing for too many off-camera hits as well as projectiles.... And I was right. 

Anyone got any advice for this. The game has a low trophy difficulty rating, but this stage alone pisses all over the climax battles from the Yakuza series which I thought were horrid. 

Remember those markers that show you when enemy is doing something you don't see? White when he's behind you, red when he's attacking, purple if projectile is coming.

Focus on them. Also, Atreus and Mimir will warn you from time to time, so listen to them (or turn on subtitles).

42 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Remember those markers that show you when enemy is doing something you don't see? White when he's behind you, red when he's attacking, purple if projectile is coming.

Focus on them. Also, Atreus and Mimir will warn you from time to time, so listen to them (or turn on subtitles).

Yeah I know which ones you mean mate. Still can't move quick enough but I suppose I will have to keep going at it. Did some searches online and people say they can actually skip that section but don't mention how. Also, others suggest the travel armour as it allows you to get hit once. You know if any of this is 100% correct mate?

1 minute ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I know which ones you mean mate. Still can't move quick enough but I suppose I will have to keep going at it. Did some searches online and people say they can actually skip that section but don't mention how. Also, others suggest the travel armour as it allows you to get hit once. You know if any of this is 100% correct mate?

Down on D-Pad allows to quick 180 degrees turn and i think that could be helpful. Plus remember what you can block and what you should dodge.

59 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Down on D-Pad allows to quick 180 degrees turn and i think that could be helpful. Plus remember what you can block and what you should dodge.

Again, yeah I know about that mate but thanks for the response anyway. 

Gonna give the game a massive break though because its dire as f**k and wish I hadn't put it on my completion profile. 

Visuals, mechanics and voice acting are great, but when I got to the end of the story I couldn't actually believe that was the end. The game felt like one massive intro with an end game boss so unimportant that I truly was laughing and crying that this was what the game was about. All that talk about Odin and Thor and what get given is this s**t.

So you then check the trophy list to see what the mop up is and thats when the game gets really s**t. It reminds me so much of the very first Assassins Creed game. A very polished tech demo rather than an actual game. 

Cheers for the replies though everyone, really do appreciate you taking the time to offer advice. But wow did this end up being a pile of s**te for a game for me. 

3 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Again, yeah I know about that mate but thanks for the response anyway. 

Gonna give the game a massive break though because its dire as f**k and wish I hadn't put it on my completion profile. 

Visuals, mechanics and voice acting are great, but when I got to the end of the story I couldn't actually believe that was the end. The game felt like one massive intro with an end game boss so unimportant that I truly was laughing and crying that this was what the game was about. All that talk about Odin and Thor and what get given is this s**t.

So you then check the trophy list to see what the mop up is and thats when the game gets really s**t. It reminds me so much of the very first Assassins Creed game. A very polished tech demo rather than an actual game. 

Cheers for the replies though everyone, really do appreciate you taking the time to offer advice. But wow did this end up being a pile of s**te for a game for me. 

Well, imo, this GoW was more of a preparation of a Nordic God of War's. To show you how Odin and Thor are asking for sharing Zeus's fate, but not doing it too early.

It was more of, as plat name says "Father and Son" journey and less "god genocide". Though with the pre-Ragnarok winter being a start of nordic apocalypse and the secret scene after sleeping in your house - next game will probably be... i dunno how to say it, let's say that we'll probably kill some more gods.