One of the bread types is spelt incorrectly

Slackr

Yes, it is incorrect. It seems to be spelt wrong very frequently (even on some respectable recipe sites when I search) so I can only assume it slipped through that way. My spellchecker actually reports both the correct and incorrect spellings as wrong. I wonder if I can get away with blaming technology for this...?

We could argue about spelt vs spelled all day long, but while (or whilst) we're talking about bread I choose spelt. Because irony.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it'd be a fairly common thing with English loan words like that, seeing as English doesn't have a phonetic equivalent of what the c's in the word represent.

So if I show a native English speaker the words focacia, foccacia, focaccia, foccaccia, they'd all likely look pretty much the same. Also means the spelling would likely to vary. This is of course a simplified explanation of this phenomenon, but it should work.

If there is one "correct" spelling of the word, it'd be focaccia as that's how it's written in Italian.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/17/2019 at 8:26 PM, Metroid-Prime said:

Not to be a smartass, but one of the words in the topic title is "spelled" incorrectly.  1f601.png

It's not.  It's just hoidy toidy British speak for spelled.  Also, he may have been using it as a food/bread pun.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:27 AM, luckydonut said:

Yes, it is incorrect. It seems to be spelt wrong very frequently (even on some respectable recipe sites when I search) so I can only assume it slipped through that way. My spellchecker actually reports both the correct and incorrect spellings as wrong. I wonder if I can get away with blaming technology for this...?

We could argue about spelt vs spelled all day long, but while (or whilst) we're talking about bread I choose spelt. Because irony.

You're right, we could argue about spelt v spelled all day long - and your usage of spelt above was incorrect.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:28 AM, visighost said:

I’m Canadian as well, and I can’t say “splet” feels natural... ;)

Lol, was going to say, as any country/state/individual who speaks English, I wouldn't think "splet" would feel natural.  Almost like it would feel wrong ...