Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Justified rage against Injustice

I. LOVED. reading that. Truth be told, the best thing about Injustice Gods Among Us is 1. the comics (really good story ) and 2. you writing your experience about it xD I guess this is the only game so far that you utterly hated also, perhaps?

Somehow Netherrealm kinda nailed it with the second iteration of games (Injustice 2 and MK XL) but the first release...oh boy. It's only for the fans that don't aim for trophies and love their DC comics.

Also...glad that you don't have Mortal Kombat  on your profile (the PS3 one). I personally would rather go through the Injustice crap rather than going for that My Kung Fu is Stronger or that stupid, STUPID secret fight where you have to double perfect Shang Tsung or something. Will decide once I finish Ultimate Battler :3 Bottom line : Netherrealm hates us xD

Anyway! I expect you to have fun with Trine. It's a very nice puzzle platformer with lots of charm in it. Hope you enjoy it also! Way better than Injustice that's for sure.

• Like 2

Congrats.

Trine sucks. I’ve had Trine 2 for years and booted up the game a few times but I find it very boring. But maybe it’s fun in coop though.

There is still a spot open for Black Ops III if you’re still considering it.

• Like 1

I agree with your opinion on S.T.A.R Labs, it's gotta be the single most ridiculous and frustrating mode I've ever had to experience in all my years of gaming. Battle Mode, in comparison, is a joke imo.

I'm currently grinding out the level 100 trophy and after doing the math, with a 5x multiplier it'll still take me over 35 hours of mashing one button ( don't have a turbo controller).  Could you explain how exactly I can get a 15x multiplier and finish it within 10 hours?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I. LOVED. reading that. Truth be told, the best thing about Injustice Gods Among Us is 1. the comics (really good story ) and 2. you writing your experience about it xD I guess this is the only game so far that you utterly hated also, perhaps?

Somehow Netherrealm kinda nailed it with the second iteration of games (Injustice 2 and MK XL) but the first release...oh boy. It's only for the fans that don't aim for trophies and love their DC comics.

Also...glad that you don't have Mortal Kombat  on your profile (the PS3 one). I personally would rather go through the Injustice crap rather than going for that My Kung Fu is Stronger or that stupid, STUPID secret fight where you have to double perfect Shang Tsung or something. Will decide once I finish Ultimate Battler :3 Bottom line : Netherrealm hates us xD

Anyway! I expect you to have fun with Trine. It's a very nice puzzle platformer with lots of charm in it. Hope you enjoy it also! Way better than Injustice that's for sure.

I have Mortal Kombat (PS3) and Injustice on my list for from back in the days where I'd try games without thinking about trophies. Was actually thinking about jumping into a fighting game again and keep seeing Injustice on my account, but after that review, I think I'll go back to either Super Street Fight IV or BlazBlue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

I have Mortal Kombat (PS3) and Injustice on my list for from back in the days where I'd try games without thinking about trophies. Was actually thinking about jumping into a fighting game again and keep seeing Injustice on my account, but after that review, I think I'll go back to either Super Street Fight IV or BlazBlue. 

Yeaaaaa you will be better off with those 2 you mentioned. Mk9 and Injustice are for people who don't know what they are getting into xD

16 hours ago, Copanele said:

Haha, thanks a lot, that is fantastic feedback! ? I initially wanted to only write that the game doesn't deserve a review, but it now became a rant. 

As for hating the game... Perhaps not the only one [... quickly looks over his game list ...] yep.. the only one. There are games on my list that I didn't enjoy going for the plat for reasons, for example The Last Guardian or Oxenfree, but no game on my list made me say "I hate this piece of shit" out loud as often as Injustice did ?

16 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Trine sucks. I’ve had Trine 2 for years and booted up the game a few times but I find it very boring. But maybe it’s fun in coop though.

Honestly, I would not have considered getting Trine if not for them two guys asking me to join. The collection with all four games was just in the last sale for a really good price, and it cannot hurt to do something easier for a change. Has been a while since I did a chill game. 

There is still a spot open for Black Ops III if you’re still considering it.

Still tempting, but I'm still declining. I talked yesterday to your teammates and I just cannot commit 100 hours of 4-player coop gaming atm... It would take forever, believe me (Mori and I have been playing Divinity 2 since May, and we have put 50 hours into it at most so far...)

15 hours ago, CrimsonMercury said:

I agree with your opinion on S.T.A.R Labs, it's gotta be the single most ridiculous and frustrating mode I've ever had to experience in all my years of gaming. Battle Mode, in comparison, is a joke imo.

I agree that it is a joke in comparison, in terms of the time that it takes... But nothing in S.T.A.R. Labs is as challenging as Impossible Battle, in my opinion. I was averaging 2 characters (20 missions) per hour, but there were some missions that took way longer (kill Grundy as Batman without using Grenades... I hated that mission so much).. I'd say that with the handful of missions that really took long, I must have spent 15+ or so hours with S.T.A.R. Labs ? 

I'm currently grinding out the level 100 trophy and after doing the math, with a 5x multiplier it'll still take me over 35 hours of mashing one button ( don't have a turbo controller).  Could you explain how exactly I can get a 15x multiplier and finish it within 10 hours?

Yeah, that is not explained in the guide, but it is relatively easy to do ? Grab yourself a friend / boosting partner, and kill him 50 times in a row in private online matches. That will give you a 10x multiplier that lasts for 5 minutes or so. Thing is, if you start a match while the multiplier is still active, it lasts for the duration of the match. 

Now, get in addition the 5x multiplier from the archives. Unfortunately they don't stack multiplicatively (50x multiplier would be awesome), but additively, hence 15x. 

I dunno how you have been grinding, but if you do the "Robot interactible" grind with Doomsday, you will be getting approximately 3.7 Million XP per hour (250k times 15). When I started farming I already had about 12 Million XP, and you need around 50 Million to reach lv. 100. That's about 10 hours of button-mashing :) 

15 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

I would love to say that it's just me, that the genre isn't for me and Injustice isn't THAT bad. But @Copanele is a fighter-vet and still agrees that this game is garbage... In any case, I had no prior experience with fighting games and still got the plat in roughly 50 hours, including grinding XP. It doesn't take THAT long, but it's just a miserable time ?

So yeah... go for SSFIV... it's the harder but also more valuable plat in my opinion. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mori said:

@Arcesius Thanks to you, the plat does not show up in my top 5 rarest trophy cabinet anymore. You did good. :D

Damn dude, sorry about that... I know you loved seeing the game everywhere on your profile! You know what, you should stack the NA version! That's still sitting at 0.13% ? ?

So, I mentioned that I am focusing on the Nioh 2 DLC atm... And I feel like writing a couple of sentences about Nioh right now ?

Now, why ain't I getting trophies for it? Similarly to the first game, the DLC came out with a trophy that requires you to beat all of its missions on the new difficulty, Dream of the Demon (NG++). The original game also had a trophy for beating ALL missions (Twilight, Dojo, Update, Base Game, DLC, ...) missions on that difficulty, but that's not the case with Nioh 2 (yet... who knows what future DLC will bring). 

HOWEVER, the DLC region unlocks together with the final base game region... Which means that you still have to complete roughly 75% of the base game missions to even be able to access it. I have now 100% completed the first three regions, so I should still have about 1.5 regions to clear before I finally unlock the DLC (don't feel like playing through it on NG first). 

Now, some of you have played Nioh, in which case you will understand what I am about to write. If you haven't then this probably won't make any sense whatsoever... When tackling Dream of the Demon (or Way of the Demon in the original), the single most important thing to survive that difficulty is to have a proper, well synergizing build going. That means a couple of things: 

• All of your gear acquired throughout NG and NG+ is obsolete. The game starts now. 
  • The final boss on NG+ drops a Yasakani Magatama. That is the single most important accessory in the entire game. 
  • Anything that isn't Divine shouldn't get your attention. Sell it, dismantle it, drop it... just don't keep it. 
  • Think about your playstyle, spend dozens of hours browsing the wiki for set-perks, think about what you want your character to achieve, and start farming that shit. 

Now, I had a couple of builds on paper that I was eager to try out, but would have been a bit difficult to put together. For example, I wanted to go again for a Sign of the Cross build that does a ton of damage from behind... but Kingo's Set, which gives extra Backstab Damage, only reaches that perk with 5 set pieces (4 with the Yasakani), so I would have had to make a lot of compromises in other departments... 

Similarly, going for Saturation is nice on paper, and water is my favorite element to play around with.. but there are no perks that grant additional damage against saturated enemies (I dunno why.. there is for scorched, electrified, paralyzed, poisoned... but not saturated). 

So, what did I do? I have now a Toxic Dual Swords build. I'm combining two Dual Sword sets (Master Swordsman and Golden Gourd) to get additional damage on Sign of the Cross, Windstorm AND, my new favorite active skill, Cherry Blossom. Now, instead of Saturation I decided to go for Poison, and with my guardian spirits, soul cores and re-rolled perks I have a ton of additional Poison Accumulation and Melee Damage against Poisoned Enemies. I'm using Poison Shuriken to poison enemies from a distance, but also have Imbue Poison on my main weapon just for enemies that don't have a high Poison Resistance

Since I'm using all three Active Skills mentioned above depending on the situation, I also tried to roll more Active Skill Damage on as many pieces of armor as I could. I couldn't be arsed to farm for orange inheritables that grant more damage from specific skills, so more damage across the board it is. 

The result is pretty sick.. I am now at level 230 and can run through level 310+ missions without issues. The drawback? Bosses can sometimes 3/4-shot me... In the original Nioh, I had a tankier build using Tatenashi with a lot of Equipment Weight Reduction, but.... only noobs get hit in this game, am I right? ?

My equipment is at level 170 +14 more or less, but since most drops are around +8 to +10, I am now at the point where I need to soul forge lower level equipment to be able to further improve my actual gear. That means spending as much time at the blacksmith, as doing the actual missions ? But I don't mind it. My goal is to get everything up to +15 by the time I start the DLC. 

So much for Nioh. If you don't like random loot, farming and spending hours thinking about a proper build... yeah, I can understand that this game isn't for you ?. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

TOXIC

You managed to do a viable toxic build in Nioh 2? xD Hot DAMN! Usually poison builds are very underwhelming in videogames. If Nioh 2 gets that right...

Ah shit here we go again. Gotta get the game. Looking towards your progress with great interest!

• Like 1

In my honest opinion, although the game can be soloed no problem, some missions are so incredibly hard for their difficulty range(especially in DLC3) that you are better off co-oping them. If you wish to solo, better prepare a proper build. Way of the Demon (NG++) is where the game becomes incredibly demanding.

But it's only in Way of the Demon where co-oping really makes your life easier(and you need that for a DLC trophy only anyway). Way of the Samurai/Strong (NG/NG+) should not pose so many troubles. 

Arcesius can give way more details, he blasted through the game full solo and knows his sets. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have to ask you guys, is Nioh alright to be played solo like the Dark Souls franchise, or are you better off playing it in co-op?

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

In my honest opinion, although the game can be soloed no problem, some missions are so incredibly hard for their difficulty range(especially in DLC3) that you are better off co-oping them. If you wish to solo, better prepare a proper build. Way of the Demon (NG++) is where the game becomes incredibly demanding.

But it's only in Way of the Demon where co-oping really makes your life easier(and you need that for a DLC trophy only anyway). Way of the Samurai/Strong (NG/NG+) should not pose so many troubles. 

Arcesius can give way more details, he blasted through the game full solo and knows his sets. 

@Copanele is absolutely right. Especially in the original Nioh, some of the missions can be extremely difficult on Way of the Demon. If you want the 100%, you'll have to beat every single mission on that difficulty setting, and that ain't no easy feat. In my opinion, it is harder than anything you have to do in any other souls game, by far. 

However, if you enjoy farming, thinking about specific builds, etc... and you end up with a proper build, then it is definitely doable solo. I never summoned anyone, but I cannot say that I didn't struggle at times. I certainly did. 

If at any point you decide to tackle this game (or the second one), I'd gladly give advice about getting the 100%, what builds to try out, etc... :) 

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Well I probably won’t be playing this game anytime soon, just curious to hear how it compares with the Soulsborne games. 

Got too many games already, so it’s probably best I don’t bother with Nioh. Can’t afford another time consuming game on my backlog.

I have said it before... I love the souls games (especially Bloodborne), but I like Nioh even more. The world building and enemy variety is better in the souls games, no doubt about that, but combat is way more complex in Nioh, there is a way larger build variety, and I enjoy the Diablo-esque loot system.

But it is not a game to play casually. You really need to learn the mechanics, you need to learn how the Blacksmith works (it's not as simple as it looks), how to craft proper gear, etc. It takes time, but the result is worth it. 

But yes, it is time consuming. I got 100% in Nioh in 190 hours, but only because I got the plat before the DLCs came out. You could get it in 150 hours playing solo (@Copanele, any idea how long it took you?). And Nioh 2 doesn't seem to be much shorter, either. I'm now at 135 hours and haven't even started the first DLC ?

• Like 1

But yes, it is time consuming. I got 100% in Nioh in 190 hours, but only because I got the plat before the DLCs came out. You could get it in 150 hours playing solo (@Copanele, any idea how long it took you?). And Nioh 2 doesn't seem to be much shorter, either. I'm now at 135 hours and haven't even started the first DLC 1f605.png

I am not sure how I can measure " a fuckton of time" but yeah...around that xD (over 150 hours that's for sure) Let's just say that doing everything solo would put AC Origins/Odyssey to shame.

And yeah...to compare the difficulty,I'd say that Nioh in Way of the Demon is kinda the equivalent of doing Bloodborne at BL4. It's NOT an easy feat, you really need to know what you are doing. I personally couldn't solo the entire thing and had to request some co-op assistance at that blasted mission vs Toyotomi and Nine Tails. Was too tired of the 1 shot bullshit that was going on there.

LAST MINUTE EDIT: UNLESS you do a Living Weapon build which is the cheap way out in Nioh 1. Heard it's not as effective in Nioh 2 praised be Buddha ( @Arcesius pls confirm this)

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

And yeah...to compare the difficulty,I'd say that Nioh in Way of the Demon is kinda the equivalent of doing Bloodborne at BL4. It's NOT an easy feat, you really need to know what you are doing. I personally couldn't solo the entire thing and had to request some co-op assistance at that blasted mission vs Toyotomi and Nine Tails. Was too tired of the 1 shot bullshit that was going on there.

Yeah.. As I mentioned above, I had an Agility A build going but using Heavy Armor... Specifically, Tatenashi, which gives you a TON of Toughness, Defense and Damage Reduction... So I wasn't easily one-shotted. I felt like it was necessary in the original Nioh... 

That's a good comparison though! ?

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

LAST MINUTE EDIT: UNLESS you do a Living Weapon build which is the cheap way out in Nioh 1. Heard it's not as effective in Nioh 2 praised be Buddha ( @Arcesius pls confirm this)

Yup, you are right. There are no cheese builds in Nioh 2, which is why people that cheesed the first one are having a very hard time with the sequel.. they never learned how to play the game properly, and are now being destroyed. 

And which is also why I would not recommend doing a LW build in Nioh. First of all I imagine that it is extremely boring... And secondly, cause Nioh 2 will be very difficult if you played the first one that way. 

• Like 1

Nioh and Nioh 2 are perfect examples why trophy rarity was and is in many cases pointless to a degree. 

Bloodborne was the hardest uncommon platinum I went for on my profile. Nothing else compares. Assassin’s Creed games in comparison are piss easy. 

Super Meat Boy I feel is one of a select few games that is truly deserving of its ultra rare platinum because it demands a lot. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood is an easier platinum than Surgeon Simulator, despite the fact that both platinum trophies are within .04 - .05 percent of each other in rarity. 

Practically most of everyone who did Nioh 2 poured over 100 hours in the first Nioh. Now you take in consideration the number of people who played Nioh that are Dark Souls veterans. 

Trophy rarities can fool people. Nioh has a dedicated fanbase which is why the rarities are so high. But I’m willing to bet a good number of people out there who are casuals and tried out Nioh gave up on it because it is simply too hard. 

Having to learn the knowledge of what builds work and what don’t work so well is generally a barrier that many casual players don’t bother with.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Copanele said:

You managed to do a viable toxic build in Nioh 2? xD Hot DAMN! Usually poison builds are very underwhelming in videogames. If Nioh 2 gets that right...

Ah shit here we go again. Gotta get the game. Looking towards your progress with great interest!

I'm gonna quote this because... I did. But I've encountered a problem now, and I had to improvise. 

So, I've been playing nothing but Nioh 2 lately, playing on Dream of the Demon only. I just recently unlocked the DLC, and am almost done with it. But I've now encountered a wall. Lemme elaborate. 

To touch again upon my build. The "disadvantage" of Poison is that tick-damage caps at 999. I have reached that cap, but with enemies having a fuck-ton of HP, those ticks don't really do much. But that doesn't really matter, since it's not the DoT that I care about. Thanks to my perks I have around +80% melee damage against poisoned enemies, and so much poison accumulation that I can poison any enemy with one single Poison Shuriken. So, I usually just run around with 10 Poison Shurikens and, whenever I encounter one of those buffed dudes with a red aura that appear in Dream of the Demon, I poison them and go to town. I get most of the poison perks from my weapon, my accessories and, more importantly, my Soul Cores... Meaning that I didn't need to compromise otherwise, and have rolled my other gear to grant me other bonuses such as Active Skill Damage, Life, Defense, Toughness, Tenacity, etc... you know how this works. ?

Now, this build was rocking the base game on Dream of the Demon. There is one Yokai that is immune to poison, and I hate it, but I can deal with it, and most bosses aren't immune to poison either. It might take 2 Shurikens instead of 1 to apply the effect, but it works well for the most part.  

But then I started the DLC. And encountered Benkei, Uminyudo and Yoshitsune (and an improved version of 

Spoiler

Nue

)

And of course, they are all resistant to poison. 

I fought the first one as a mini-boss in the first main mission of the DLC, and while it took me a while to take him down, not being able to apply poison made the fight pretty long, but forced me to learn his moveset. I got pretty good at the fight, so when I faced him again in a sub-mission (you know, your typical Nioh duels) with more health and whatnot, I got him on my second try. Fun fight, very well designed boss, provides a challenge. 

Uminyudo is an improved version of the original Umibozu fight, but is also way harder than the counterpart in the original (remember, that huge blob that pops out of the water...). Anyways, also here I had to improvise since it is almost immune to poison, but I got its moves down and defeated it eventually. 

Now, Yoshitsune. This is, without a doubt, the hardest boss in Nioh 2. He has the largest health pool I've seen in the game, he is immune / resistant to pretty much everything but purity, and moves around like a freaking Anime character. This fight is INSANE ? And this guy has over double the moves of any other boss I've faced so far, so learning how to react to everything is incredibly difficult, especially given his speed. I haven't even managed to get this guy to 50% health yet, and that despite bringing 4 Quick Change Scrolls to the fight. 

So... there goes my poison build. I quickly respeced my character to increase my Omnyo skills, and am using those exclusively for defense. Barrier, Steel, Rejuvenation and Life-Leech Talismans for survivability, I changed my Soul Cores because I obviously don't need damage against poisoned stuff, and while I have been more successful with the setup, it's improvised on the spot, hence not optimized and I get destroyed nonetheless.  

Oh well... Two missions to go, both with this insane dude as the boss (regular mission and of course, a duel), and I will have Nioh 2 once more at 100%. When will that be? No idea... It will still take a while before I have this mofo down. 

Maybe it doesn't help that I'm 85 levels under the recommended mission level. ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Oh man you were so close xD so poison ain't as viable once you get to the big cheese enemies. I guess it will forever be a complimentary debuff applied on a main skill when it comes to extra content in games. 

Actually I think the only place where poison worked wonders was Dark souls 2 (and the enemies who were immune to poison were trash anyway). Other than that.. I don't have any other game in mind. Definitely not in Nioh 1, those dudes in WotD would trash the poison out of me. 

And I don't think the recommended level matters anymore when you reach Dream of the Demon. Don't know how it scales in Nioh2, in Nioh1 I blitzed through twilight missions 150 levels above my recommended level and I didn't feel any difference. The game would still kick my ass regardless of the level xD

• Like 1

Alright, I made it work. I didn't feel like farming for another build, or re-rolling my perks, or summoning.... So, played it dirty. 

Defensive Mystic Art on my Dual Swords, Rejuvenation, Steel and Barrier Talisman, Gust Talisman for the Dark Realm to reflect back his projectiles, Quick Change Scrolls and, the most important thing... three cute little cats ? All of that allowed me to stay really up in his face and spam Windstorm and Sign of the Cross. Had to play it safe in the final moments of the fight since I run out of protective items, but it worked just fine. 

So, this is the hardest boss in Nioh 2, on Dream of the Demon, beaten in around 4 minutes by a less than optimized build. Not my usual playstyle, but if the devs decide that poison ain't as viable anymore, I'm gonna play dirty. Enjoy! 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Alright, I made it work. I didn't feel like farming for another build, or re-rolling my perks, or summoning.... So, played it dirty. 

Defensive Mystic Art on my Dual Swords, Rejuvenation, Steel and Barrier Talisman, Gust Talisman for the Dark Realm to reflect back his projectiles, Quick Change Scrolls and, the most important thing... three cute little cats 1f63b.png All of that allowed me to stay really up in his face and spam Windstorm and Sign of the Cross. Had to play it safe in the final moments of the fight since I run out of protective items, but it worked just fine. 

So, this is the hardest boss in Nioh 2, on Dream of the Demon, beaten in around 4 minutes by a less than optimized build. Not my usual playstyle, but if the devs decide that poison ain't as viable anymore, I'm gonna play dirty. Enjoy! 

OH WOW IT'S VERGIL FROM DEVIL MAY CRY! Why you summoning swords boi?

Nah but really  that boss is so goddamn epic, it gets my gaming blood boiling xD (anime much I know). They really did a fine job with this game. God bless those quick change scrolls lmao.

What are the 3 cats doing by the way?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Defensive Mystic Art on my Dual Swords, Rejuvenation, Steel and Barrier Talisman, Gust Talisman for the Dark Realm to reflect back his projectiles, Quick Change Scrolls and, the most important thing... three cute little cats 1f63b.png All of that allowed me to stay really up in his face and spam Windstorm and Sign of the Cross. Had to play it safe in the final moments of the fight since I run out of protective items, but it worked just fine. 

I haven't gotten around to playing the first Nioh, as it sits on my shelf mocking me, but damn does this make me want to. That last 10% looked like it got a little sketchy compared to the first 90% of what looked like face tanking.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

O wow. That looks pretty cool. It looks like Nioh has a much faster battle system compared to any Soulsborne game. Is that true? I tried Bloodborne but it was just too slow for my liking, but I also have Nioh from Ps Plus. I’m going to download it and give it a try.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1