Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

11 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Im assuming that trophy you're on about is "fast flipper" if so then Goodluck, that shit took us like a good 2-3 days if I remember correctly. 

Thanks, but that's not it ? That one needs to be done on Legend, and we are far from being good enough to tackle that difficulty ?

I was talking about "Barrels of Fun"... we are barely level 20 now so nobody had any ability unlocked for faster movement. I guess it might not be that bad at some point, but it still shows that coordination will be extremely important later on. 

4 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Looking forward to your Nex Machina guide. 

Hope it will be helpful! Did you attemt a run on Experienced yet? That shouldn't give you too much trouble :)

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Just let me know how doable Nex Machina is for a average shmup player like me.

I don't think you can compare it with Shmups. In any case, the game is very doable. I'm rating it a 7/10 in the guide just so that it feels fair to everyone, and it should take you around 30 hours to get the plat. The only trophy that could give you trouble is beating the Arcade mode on Veteran, but all I did was clear each individual world once from scratch on that difficulty before starting full runs, and it didn't take me too long after that to get it done. 

I would definitely recommend the game, it is a blast! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Hope it will be helpful! Did you attemt a run on Experienced yet? That shouldn't give you too much trouble :)

Been practicing on individual levels a bit as I didn't have a lot of time to spend on a full run lately. Can almost do the first level with no continues, 2nd level is looking pretty good too. Was trying to see if I can memorize the maps more as I worked on extra trophies or feats. Was at a multiplier of 45 once before it started to go downhill >.<. I feel like my deaths start to snowball once I start dying. I do seem to take unnecessary risks too much though for getting humans/powerups.

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I don't think you can compare it with Shmups. In any case, the game is very doable. I'm rating it a 7/10 in the guide just so that it feels fair to everyone, and it should take you around 30 hours to get the plat. The only trophy that could give you trouble is beating the Arcade mode on Veteran, but all I did was clear each individual world once from scratch on that difficulty before starting full runs, and it didn't take me too long after that to get it done. 

I would definitely recommend the game, it is a blast! 

I'm not talking about insanely hard shmups like Sine Mora, Raiden IV or Ikaruga. Even stuff like Sky Force Reloaded and Raiden V is probably a bit too hard for me.

Housemarque was always great at bringing old school fun with modern appeal and taste to their games. I plan to do Super Stardust HD, Super Stardust Ultra, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, Alienation, Matterfall and finally Nex Machina. I think that about covers their library.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, Arcesius said:

Got it done and did not expect that diarrhea light show of a last boss. Got to it with 90 something continues, almost gave up after 30 or so attempts, but pushed about 5 more and finally got him. Doing that fight with no powerups, especially range is a real pain. Had to be in a serious gamer pose to get it done and I think having a bigger TV was a disadvantage as it makes it hard to keep your eyes on where your shooting as well as your character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grotz99 said:

Got it done and did not expect that diarrhea light show of a last boss. Got to it with 90 something continues, almost gave up after 30 or so attempts, but pushed about 5 more and finally got him. Doing that fight with no powerups, especially range is a real pain. Had to be in a serious gamer pose to get it done and I think having a bigger TV was a disadvantage as it makes it hard to keep your eyes on where your shooting as well as your character.

My screen is fairly big too, there were times where I had to sit in a chair a few feet away and squint at what I was doing.

8 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Ha, congrats! :D The good news is, on Veteran that boss is not that much more difficult... so once you figure the boss out, you'll defeat it every single time. If you manage to keep your secondary weapon, the Rocket Launcher annihilates it. Nicely done! 

The first thing I did in this game was a complete Arcade run on Experienced. I beat it on my first try, but I found myself in the same situation as you... got to the last boss with plenty of continues left, and almost used up all of them... The main issue is that there is no way to collect a secondary weapon there, so you need to defeat it without upgrades and with the pea-shooter only. The stupid Star-laser attack is almost impossible to dodge without Triple-Dash... ? 

Also, I play on a 65" TV, so I know what you mean with the big screen ?

The second step in my guide-roadmap (after beating Experienced) is to do the 9 Gold Medals in the online Arena :) Those will have you practice at least the first three worlds on higher speeds, which will prepare you for Veteran and 1CC! The first three worlds will be a joke on Experienced once you have 9 Gold Medals. 

Edited by Arcesius

I looked at Matterfall and Super Stardust Ultra the other night and they look like a blast to play. 

Really a shame Housemarque games are generally overlooked. I can’t 100 percent Super Stardust Ultra because of the stupid PS VR requirement. 

Recently picked up Super Stardust HD, as old and dated as that game is it should still be fun. Then will do Ultra eventually, then I can say I got the set complete.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

You know, we played maybe 20-25 hours on the first difficulty setting, Recruit... then there is Veteran, Champion and the true difficulty, Legend.

The dlc actually scales up to cataclysm 2 while going for weave 80. Quite eager to see what you guys will think of the 100% so ill keep an eye on your updates ??. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

The dlc actually scales up to cataclysm 2 while going for weave 80. Quite eager to see what you guys will think of the 100% so ill keep an eye on your updates 1f44c-1f3fe.png

Haha yeah I know ? and there is only one crazy group that actually beat all 120 weaves this season... We have currently the first 15 weaves completed, working our way up! 

But yeah, I guess for Cata 1 & 2 we will need to rethink our builds again... For the time being though, I'm really stoked that we are actually clearing Legend missions now... :) 

22 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Have fun with Enter the Gungeon, for me this also another Indie Gem like Hollow knight.

There is so much to explorer, so much to do and a ton of easter eggs, some guns are just super funny1f602.png

Your nex machina guide will be helpful aswell, thanks for your work! :)

Oh nice, that's already promising! :D It definitely looks like a good time, and if I decide to do Nuclear Throne, it should give me some good practice for this type of games ?

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Oh and lastly.. my Nex Machina guide has been published :) I hope it can be of some help!

This is a super well made guide. Taking the time to map out where all the secrets are per level really helps. Going to try to knock out a few more trophies in that game. I might be able to do experienced with one continue using your guide for the secret lives, which there are a lot more than I thought.

• Like 1

Good job on the End is Nigh! Looking forward to your review. Also well done on your progress on Divinity that game is indeed packed with content... it might be a little too slow for me but I see the appeal. Also Vermintide looks interesting... another ultra rare is it just grindy or hard too? Hard is basically your second name so I mean... you love challenge :D

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, Arcesius said:

I'm over the whole "exploit" thing, I know I'm in the minority on this page, so the only thing I can do is just actively decide which discussions are worth my time. The new "trophy elitist" discussions definitely aren't worth participating in. People should do whatever the fuck they want, and I'd just be happy to see people playing this amazing game... but what's sad is seeing that even though it is on PS Plus, it doesn't even appear on the "Most Popular Games" on PSNP. People are too busy clicking 10k times on a glass of Mayo.

Yes, the problem with this matter is that it's too much generalized and people tend to not condone the act even for the stupidest things which really aren't worth discussing, and the result is people telling each other off on how they play games.

My thoughts on the matter is the obvious: you can do what you want with your games, nothing should stop you from doing so because it's not a job and you're not ruining other people's experience while doing so because they too can choose to play however they want to; I do understand that in some cases (like Hollow Knight), if someone like you who has done it the legit way sees people saying they managed to beat that particular part of the game without difficulty because of an exploit when you spent hours practicing for it, you ain't gonna have pretty thoughts about that ? Especially if they boast about it.

I might try Hollow Knight someday, since many have talked about it (you included) and it's now on PS Plus. I just hope it won't kick my ass too hard ?

(Love the shots fired at Mayo 2 btw)

• Like 1