Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

Didn't you play this with your girlfriend? 1f602.png 

Thanks man! It's not like I have a lot of time to do these kinds of things, but I had to see it through regardless... You know, having the checklist look how I imagine it to keep me motivated with updating it regularly :) 

How are those ranked wins coming along? 1f605.png

Nope, she just watched, laughed and was occasionally "where the hell did you find that game this time?" before resuming her anime or whatever she was watching.

And...71 wins. Getting closer but damn the online is Dial-Up levels of quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

As the official representative of the "I'd rather play alone" group, members : me, I can guarantee that this game is hella fun even solo 1f602.png

Good to know I'm not the only one in this group ?

@Arcesius I have very much been enjoying following this thread! You have quite the way with words and I very much have been enjoying your reviews ? I hope you keep it going anyway. I like the looks of your new method too, just for the record!

• Like 4

I will agree that 10 Second Ninja X's attempt at a story was pretty pathetic. Made no sense but I felt that ultimately the story didn't matter at all.

Not the best platformer obviously but one I ended up enjoying. Doing the Marathons with a X rank kept me busy for a few hours. Nothing too overly difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

God, Splasher looks brutal. I don’t know, maybe I can do it? You’ve already done stuff like Trials Fusion which already tells me you got the skills and sheer perseverance necessary to tackle hard as nails game. 

Nah, I think I’m going to settle with Nex Machina whenever the next sale comes. I’m not paying $19.99 for it. Matterfall also looks tempting, but Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition will likely come before either of these. 

Still need a partner for the rank trophies in Resogun. Awesome shmup if you haven’t played it by this point. 

Good luck on Splasher. Looking at those platinum achievers, those guys have some real serious gaming skills. Especially Danny_Johansen, that guy is a fucking beast.

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

God, Splasher looks brutal. I don’t know, maybe I can do it? You’ve already done stuff like Trials Fusion which already tells me you got the skills and sheer perseverance necessary to tackle hard as nails game. 

There is only one way to get a game done... and that's by playing the game ?  

In all honesty though, while probably really tough, Splasher also offers the kind of challenges that I love in games. It has tight speedruns and a challenging no-death run... Especially the time attacks should be really fun to go for! So far I did the first 4, don't know if I will be able to keep the pace though since the latter levels are really complicated. In the video I just posted I can only shoot water. Eventually, you have three different types of ink that you can shoot, so things get messy. 

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Nah, I think I’m going to settle with Nex Machina whenever the next sale comes. I’m not paying $19.99 for it. Matterfall also looks tempting, but Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition will likely come before either of these. 

I own Matterfall but somehow cannot bring myself to start it. It looks clunky and far inferior to Nex Machina... But maybe it would be the perfect game to start parallel to Splasher ? We'll see! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I own Matterfall but somehow cannot bring myself to start it. It looks clunky and far inferior to Nex Machina... But maybe it would be the perfect game to start parallel to Splasher 1f914.png We'll see! 

Matterfall is nowhere near nex machina but still an enjoyable game in its own ways. It's been awhile since I played it but clunky wasn't one of the weak points. 

• Like 1

These Platinum Medal time trials sure look like a lot of fun. I guess once you master all the levels the full game speedruns shouldn’t be too bad right?

Hmmm ?. I might reconsider this game. First I’ll wait for your review though.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You ever considered Super Rude Bear Resurrection?

Well, it does not necessarily look like something I'd want to play, but @Miles speaks highly about it and he's someone that knows his platformers... So I'll probably end up getting it on a sale at some point. 

(Now if only I would have an influence as well and he'd do The End is Nigh... ?)

Do you have any interest in SRBR yourself?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

I don't see it as work. As stated before, Warhammer: Vermintide 2 is probably the best game I've played in recent memory. Sure, we spent 200 hours to get the list to 100%, with 100 hours spent on one trophy alone, but it was so much fun that it really didn't bother any of us (I think I can speak for all of us :P ) 

Vermintide 1 went much quicker after having played V2 for so long. And I say "so long" as if 200h were a lot... there are players with way over 4500 hours in these games 1f605.png

I didn't see The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as work either. Yet it took me 135 hours to get 100 percent completion trophy wise. Enjoyed every minute of it.

I spent over 9000 hours on Runescape and around 2000 - 3000 hours on World of Warcraft, I don't think I'll ever play another game where I spend that much time.

And let me tell you.. this game is kicking my ass like there's no tomorrow 1f602.png After my initial attempt, where I finished a run in roughly 56 minutes, I've been trying to get closer and closer to that platinum threshold. I was on pace yesterday, arriving at level 22 with over 4 minutes to complete the level (it's a long one, but still manageable in that time)... and I proceeded to chocke and died 10+ times, even though I can normally do that one deathless... 1f641.png It's all in the head. 

After a break and with a clear head I went back for another attempt and got a new PB with 43:55, 11 seconds over the target time. 

This is soo bloody hard! 1f62d.png And it's not even the hardest task the game asks of you! 

I mean, I'm not really frustrated.. I went into this game well aware of the fact that it is brutal... But holy shit it has been a long time since I felt this challenged by a videogame 1f602.png

What did you expect? You told me yourself, Splasher is one of the hardest platformers on PSN.

• Like 1

Those damn Full Game Speedruns!

Maybe it’s a good idea to play a relaxing coop game on the side. I’ve noticed Dragon’s Crown Pro is on sale and I think you would enjoy it. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a coop partner either...

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

Nice Review, as always. :)

If i had to choose my top 3 Final Fantasy Games, i would say:

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 9

Final Fantasy 7 or maybe 10

But to my mind nothing beats Chrono Trigger???

I miss these Days of good JRPGs, was Pier Solar kinda similar? Its already in my Backlog ??

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

Nice Review, as always. :)

If i had to choose my top 3 Final Fantasy Games, i would say:

Final Fantasy 6

Final Fantasy 9

Final Fantasy 7 or maybe 10

But to my mind nothing beats Chrono Trigger1f605.png1f64f-1f3fb.png

I miss these Days of good JRPGs, was Pier Solar kinda similar? Its already in my Backlog 1f64c-1f3fb.png

Niiiiice, if I remember this correctly, FF6 was released in the U.S. as FF3 back in the day? If that is correct, FF6 is also my all-time fave FF game, followed by 8 then probably 10 for me personally. Not to mention Chrono Trigger is up there with my fave JRPG classics ?

To answer your question about Pier Solar, I was absolutely stunned at how well that game hit all the old JRPG feels!! I really felt like I was playing one of the old FF games, similar to FF6. If that sounds at all interesting to you, I would very highly recommend that game!! But be warned, the Eternal Slip mini game is the plat blocker for most, so make sure you check that out first before you buy just in case ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joe Dubz said:

Niiiiice, if I remember this correctly, FF6 was released in the U.S. as FF3 back in the day? If that is correct, FF6 is also my all-time fave FF game.

You are correct - on two counts here.

Correct that FFVI was FFIII in the states, and correct that FFVI is absolutely the best game in the series!

• Like 4