Arcesius

Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Top-5 List   42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Top-5 List would you like me to ramble about?

• Most difficult games
    • Fewest achievers
    • Favorite games
    • Least enjoyable games
    • Fewest owners
    • Games I'm scared to start
    • None of the above (post your idea!!)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

754 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, The Devils Reaper said:

Hey, @Arcesius just dropping in to say, nice checklist man. Impressive stuff 1f44d.png

It's crazy you added Crypt of The Necrodancer on a 100% profile as well. I hope you pull it off, best of luck!

Hey there! 

Man, thanks a lot, appreciate it :) Just to say that I've been following your progress as well, one hell of a goal you have set for yourself! (That you are close to achieving... like, how!)

In any case.. When I started NecroDancer, I didn't know yet that my son was on his way 😂 I pretty much stoped playing that game when he was born, since what I have left requires a shit ton of practice and I currently don't have that time... But I'm in no hurry, I have done the only online trophy so we'll see... 🙂 I will definitely go back to it eventually! 

Edited by Arcesius

I saw that you've gotten the last platinum needed in Splasher, so congratulations on that. I can't imagine how much practice went into getting all of them.

Congrats from me as well. Now onto Ninja Runner. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. Just be careful not to get impatient when messing up and starting from the beginning. You might be more inclined to make mistakes then obviously.

58 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

P.S. Also... The 50h estimate from the guide can go suck a ... 

That estimate is fascinating. I'm not sure I could do it that quickly second time going for the platinum. 😂 Jokes aside, grats on the "I am legend" trophy - yes you are indeed 😉

@Arcesius In case you didn't know: If you're about to die on your no-death run, you can pause and select "restart level". Probably doesn't help in most cases since you obviously die very quickly in this game but just in case, bear this in mind.

What kinda pisses me off is the way the ingame leaderboards are handled. I don't think I'm the only one this happened to but when I improve a certain time for a level or for an entire run the game doesn't update the new time on the leaderboards. It still displays the old one. Once you do another run, the previous time (which was better) gets displayed.

In my Gotta catch'em all run I got a time of 70:xx:xx. At the time of me achieving this only one player on the leaderboards would have been above me. Might go back to Splasher to play an ugly run so this gets updated. Usually I wouldn't care but #2 on the leaderboards for a 100% run not being displayed because of this issue.....come on.....xD.

Nicely done, get it my friend! You are knocking on that platinum's door, you got this my dude 💪😁

Posted (edited)

Double post for some reason.. 🙄

Edited by Arcesius

All things considered, I really did enjoy my time spent with this game. Even if I had to do 3 extra playthroughs to get that stupid equipment trophy to unlock!! Very stoked for you to make it through, bud 💪

I will say, this left me itching for a FF6, Chrono Trigger, or even Breath of Fire remake! I wonder if we will ever see those redone in HD?

5 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

I will say, this left me itching for a FF6, Chrono Trigger, or even Breath of Fire remake! I wonder if we will ever see those redone in HD?

Man, that's the dream....

Add Illusion of Gaia to that list, and I'd be all set 

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Man, that's the dream....

Add Illusion of Gaia to that list, and I'd be all set 

I'll have one "The Legend of Dragoon" Please. 😂

Congrats on the platinum Mr Ahab... I mean Arcesius, seems like you've finally caught your white whale.

Whenever I finish Ys Origin I can just copy paste most of what you’ve written about Pier Solar 😂.

- December 2019

- JRPG

- White Whale

- Enjoyed it until one frustrating part

Actually, now I’m thinking about it, I abandoned Ys because I started another game: Alienation. I’m going to tag you numerous times when I write my review someday 😁.

Enjoying Rive?

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

All things considered, I really did enjoy my time spent with this game. Even if I had to do 3 extra playthroughs to get that stupid equipment trophy to unlock!! Very stoked for you to make it through, bud 1f4aa.png

I did so as well! However, it's not a good sign that I don't remember much of the game's plot. I remember specific locations, some boss battles, etc... Then again.. I didn't have to play through the game 5 times 😂 Unbelievable that just purchasing everything gave you more trouble than that stupid minigame... 

So yeah. It was a fun game, it did what I wanted it to do.. but it doesn't seem to have made a lasting impact (other than the obvious negative one, but that's not the game's fault). 

17 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

Congrats on the platinum Mr Ahab... I mean Arcesius, seems like you've finally caught your white whale.

Hahaha indeed I did! 😃 Thanks a lot! 

I wrote about my experience with this minigame, my increasing frustration and my struggle to not give up so many times already that I didn't necessarily want to include it once again in the review. But holy mother of lizards, having that mental blockade suddenly disappear was a really good feeling! I credit Splasher for it. After completing it, I looked at my list, saw Pier Solar together with Crypt of the NecroDancer as my only incomplete game and thought to myself.. If you can practice those speedruns for hours and hours, if you can grind other significantly more difficult challenges and get them done.. It's only a matter of time to finish Pier Solar as well... And here we are! 😀

16 hours ago, Baker said:

Whenever I finish Ys Origin I can just copy paste most of what you’ve written about Pier Solar 1f602.png.

- December 2019

- JRPG

- White Whale

- Enjoyed it until one frustrating part

Actually, now I’m thinking about it, I abandoned Ys because I started another game: Alienation. I’m going to tag you numerous times when I write my review someday 1f601.png.

Hahaha damn that really sounds familiar 😂 I just have to wonder what causes the crashes though... There have been people achieving the trophy, even AuburnDRM is playing it now for the UR event and got the Boss Rush done. Seems so crazy that it would crash every single time for you, but other people are not complaining more about these issues :( 

You tag ahead! Looking forward to the Alienation review :) I remember how it sucked you in! 

Enjoying Rive?

I am! I did a blind playthrough but without using special attacks, and am now using the guide for the second campaign PT, cleaning up whatever I can. It has a pretty good humor and many throwbacks to many classic titles and gaming in general :) 

Not sure how difficult the 1CC will be though.. I have been playing on Normal and some sections are pretty tough to get through unscathed already 😅 Cannot imagine how much tougher they'll be on Hard. 

Edited by Arcesius

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Hahaha damn that really sounds familiar 1f602.png I just have to wonder what causes the crashes though... There have been people achieving the trophy, even AuburnDRM is playing it now for the UR event and got the Boss Rush done. Seems so crazy that it would crash every single time for you, but other people are not complaining more about these issues :( 

You tag ahead! Looking forward to the Alienation review :) I remember how it sucked you in! 

I am! I did a blind playthrough but without using special attacks, and am now using the guide for the second campaign PT, cleaning up whatever I can. It has a pretty good humor and many throwbacks to many classic titles and gaming in general :) 

Not sure how difficult the 1CC will be though.. I have been playing on Normal and some sections are pretty tough to get through unscathed already 1f605.png Cannot imagine how much tougher they'll be on Hard. 

Yeah I don’t understand the crashes anymore either. It might be my PS4, which isn’t working all that well anymore, but that’s mostly when I play disc versions. Or I’m just very unlucky. I haven’t really played the game for a long time. I should get back to it and just practice these bosses again. But Nightmare difficulty isn’t fun at all...

I’m not writing a review on Alienation 😂. I meant when I ever complete Ys Origin I could write a nice story/review where I could easily tag you numerous times...

Good to hear you’re enjoying Rive. Yeah, 1CC the legit way would be a 10/10 difficulty I think. If I remember correctly Hard mode is basically the same as Normal mode, it isn’t really that much harder. Ofcourse you can save scum it, but I had to redownload my savefile many, many times...

Edited by Baker

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Not sure how difficult the 1CC will be though.. I have been playing on Normal and some sections are pretty tough to get through unscathed already 1f605.png Cannot imagine how much tougher they'll be on Hard.

If memory serves me correctly, it can get pretty rough! I only have that, the cockroaches, and a few other rando trophies left myself. Good news is, if you are really struggling you can save scum! Just chip away at the sections little by little, then reload save if you lose too much health or whatever.

Posted (edited)

Brilliant review as always Arc, I very much enjoyed your take on this!

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

The good thing is that if you close the application fast enough you don't even need to download the save. I would still upload my save pretty often just in case I mistimed the closing of the application and my save would be deleted. I would say that you could get the cockroaches on your 1CC playthrough, and with mission select the misc stuff is quick to do :) Have fun going back to the game! 

I don't think I realized this beforehand. I very much appreciate the suggestion!! Fortunately from my recent time spent with SMB, I am well versed in being quick to quit out 😂

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

The Worst

The double-jump. Oh man, the double jump. It's just awful. 

Let me start differently. The platforming in this game is not exactly top notch. Still, there are a couple of sections where you are forced to pick-up the pace because you are, for example, followed by lava. While you are trying to escape you will still be confronted with enemies, but you won't have time to deal with them. The problem is that the stupid double-jump just doesn't fucking work half of the time. You jump into an enemy? (Almost unavoidable sometimes) The second jump won't work. You land on the ground and immediately jump again? The second jump MIGHT not work (who knows.. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). 

It is.. enfuriating at times. Maybe it's not as noticeable for someone that doesn't play lots of platformers. But in my case, whenver I felt like I died without it being my fault (which was NOT always the case, let me clarify that), it got on my nerves. 1f621.png

I know this game isn't first and foremost a platformer... But it's a pity that this aspect of the game isn't polished. It could have made the game a better one for sure. 

Oh boy, it's all coming back to me now... I knew there was a reason this game fell to the back burner for me, and this was partly it! That and the cockroaches too, I think I got tired of finding them.

But hey, the UR Challenge gave me an excuse to go back and finish this off too!! That and seeing you breeze through it gives me newfound motivation 😁 As soon as I wrap things up with Flinthook (absolutely fantastic game, btw!), I plan to take care of those last few pesky trophies on Rive. I think all I have left is Ironman run, cockroaches, and I have to not kill that stupid robot... I couldn't help myself the first time around apparently 🙃

I just noticed you put Rad in the UR Challenge, I'll be interested to hear what you think about that one!! Looks like somebody on here made a trophy guide for it, because they loved it so much 😉

Edited by Joe Dubz
forgot something

I see you're playing Trine 3: Artifacts of Power. I think it's safe to say that this is easily the worst game in the series. Felt boring and the idea of being fully 3-D doesn't really give the series credit. There's nothing even remotely challenging here, although Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince was also pretty easy.

27 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I see you're playing Trine 3: Artifacts of Power. I think it's safe to say that this is easily the worst game in the series. Felt boring and the idea of being fully 3-D doesn't really give the series credit. There's nothing even remotely challenging here, although Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince was also pretty easy.

One aspect I take into account a lot is how immersive I can get in a game. The fanciful aspect of Trine 3 was great for me, especially a level where you go into a book (I think that's it, it's been a few years since I've been playing) but that might depend more on the individual than the game itself, I usually dream a lot in fantasy worlds

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

It's certainly the least good of the bunch, but still a fun time. 

The worst Trine game is still better than a lot of other series best games!

For me, 2 > 4 > 1 > 3, but each one was still a great couch-co-op time!

12 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

But hey, the UR Challenge gave me an excuse to go back and finish this off too!! That and seeing you breeze through it gives me newfound motivation 1f601.png As soon as I wrap things up with Flinthook (absolutely fantastic game, btw!), I plan to take care of those last few pesky trophies on Rive. I think all I have left is Ironman run, cockroaches, and I have to not kill that stupid robot... I couldn't help myself the first time around apparently 1f643.png

I just noticed you put Rad in the UR Challenge, I'll be interested to hear what you think about that one!! Looks like somebody on here made a trophy guide for it, because they loved it so much 1f609.png

Hahaha yeah well, you know what? I got both RAD and Wuppo because of you. In the case of Wuppo I was following your thread about the Impossible Boss Rush and after watching a bit of gameplay I decided to get it in the current sale. With RAD, I also saw it on your list and when the guide came out I thought you must have liked it well enough to put that time in! I then requested a review from our scientific friend @DrBloodmoney, and he wrote a rad (heh) review about this game as well, so I decided to go for it. 

I haven't purchased it yet, but I will next time it goes on sale (or full price if I wanna play it earlier..)

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The 3-D aspect is... interesting, but it only worsens the experience. Especially with Amadeus, trying to have cubes move into or out of the screen is just so fucking tedious. 

4 hours ago, kevao97 said:

One aspect I take into account a lot is how immersive I can get in a game. The fanciful aspect of Trine 3 was great for me, especially a level where you go into a book (I think that's it, it's been a few years since I've been playing) but that might depend more on the individual than the game itself, I usually dream a lot in fantasy worlds

35 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's certainly the least good of the bunch, but still a fun time. 

The worst Trine game is still better than a lot of other series best games!

For me, 2 > 4 > 1 > 3, but each one was still a great couch-co-op time!

Oh boy... someone won't like my review... 😶

I should finish the game today, so I will write my opinion soon enough. But if it wasn't for the coop aspect (which, for fucks sake.. I played Trine 1 and Trine 2: Complete Story in online coop with two friends.. we wanted to play Trine 3 only to find out that IT DOESN'T HAVE ONLINE COOP!!! Whyyyy!!) I would never have started the third game. I don't like this series. But more on that later, with a proper review and some proper arguments :) 

3 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Oh boy... someone won't like my review... 1f636.png

I should finish the game today, so I will write my opinion soon enough. But if it wasn't for the coop aspect (which, for fucks sake.. I played Trine 1 and Trine 2: Complete Story in online coop with two friends.. we wanted to play Trine 3 only to find out that IT DOESN'T HAVE ONLINE COOP!!! Whyyyy!!) I would never have started the third game. I don't like this series. But more on that later, with a proper review and some proper arguments :) 

Uh Oh 😂

I love the series - but it's another one that I am completely unable to separate from the manner I play it in...

..every time a Trine game comes out, the good lady Ms. Bloodmoney positively shakes with glee - they are among her favourite games, and playing together couch co-op have been some of my favourite experiences in gaming!

Couch co-op: The bedrock upon which a sound marriage is based 😂

Sorry for the late post @Arcesius (I'm not on here very much) just wanted to say Congrats on Splasher, Pier Solar, and Rive!

I wasn't too familiar with Splasher, so I watched some videos on it, and holy shit that looks crazy! You're a beast! Well done 👏