Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

I too played Trine 1 and 2 back in the PS3 days when they came out. I thought I remembered enjoying them back then anyway! In more recent times, I repurchased 2 I think it was that was released again? At any rate, I was just not having fun with it this time around and it's currently on my backburner indefinitely ? I think my mistake was playing through it again solo; it would definitely feel like less of a chore if Mrs. Dubz were to help me out!! Now if only I can peel her away from Animal Crossing long enough to do so...! ?

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

To have a sort of comparison, Trine is your basic sandwich with lettuce, ham, splash of sauce and some tomatoes. Sure its a very good sandwich... Until you unlock the Angus Beef, the multiple vegetables and so on. Suddenly you kinda don't feel like having that ham sandwich anymore unless you are hungry xD And really, after the adrenaline madness that was Splasher, Trine just doesn't hit the same. 

Now that I made you all hungry, Trine ain't bad. It just doesn't have anything extra shiny to keep it alive for long :D

You seriously have me cracking up over here at this!! A perfectly apt analogy if you ask me ?And yes, it's lunch time over here in Pennsylvania, so excuse me now that I'm extra hungry and craving a burger of some sort...! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Copanele said:

To have a sort of comparison, Trine is your basic sandwich with lettuce, ham, splash of sauce and some tomatoes. Sure its a very good sandwich... Until you unlock the Angus Beef, the multiple vegetables and so on. Suddenly you kinda don't feel like having that ham sandwich anymore unless you are hungry xD And really, after the adrenaline madness that was Splasher, Trine just doesn't hit the same. 

Yeah that is certainly a good point. Trine doesn't do anything outstanding, even though its premise certainly would allow it to do so. And while I feel the same about the first to games to some extent, this third entry, striped of all good stuff, a barebones version of its predecessors, shows that if you just have a look at the basic gameplay, the game just isn't polished. 

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I like all the Trine games to some extent - as I've said, but I won't pick apart your arguments, because, frankly, I can't ?

Good, then I feel at least like my critique is appropriate :) Certainly it seems like the issues the game has bothered me more. And honestly, had I played Trine 3 solo, I probably would have been even harsher. But luckily, playing it with Ms. Arc (are we all now doing that thing were we take our nicknames and put Ms. in front of it?), we had quite some fun and laughs. Unfortunately for Trine 3, we laughed a lot AT the game. 

4 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I see you did Magicka 2. I mean you did a lot obviously and your account is extremely impressive, but can you recommend the game if I might be able to snag a few friends? And if I play it more than they do are there things I can do solo in between co-op play sessions? I've been holding onto this game in my library for so long now.

Haha thanks! Appreciate it :D 

So, I agree with @DrBloodmoney that the game can be quite fun solo as well. However, I did my first playthrough with two other people in local coop, and then did the Bananas playthrough, all challenges and all feats solo. And I certainly had more fun with the game during the coop playthrough. If you are going to play this with friends, then yes, I can definitely recommend it! The friendly fire especially makes for some hilarious moments :D 

What would you be doing solo in between sessions? If your friends just want to do the story with you, you could always just do the challenges / feats in between sessions, or grind some misc trophies or whatever. 

3 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

I too played Trine 1 and 2 back in the PS3 days when they came out. I thought I remembered enjoying them back then anyway! In more recent times, I repurchased 2 I think it was that was released again? At any rate, I was just not having fun with it this time around and it's currently on my backburner indefinitely ? I think my mistake was playing through it again solo; it would definitely feel like less of a chore if Mrs. Dubz were to help me out!! Now if only I can peel her away from Animal Crossing long enough to do so...! ?

Yeah so the PS4 version of Trine 2 has like the DLC included, I believe? Don't take my word on this.. But also here I agree. We did the first casual playthrough and collectibles clean-up in coop, and despite the game not being very good, we had fun playing it together. 

Then, because for some reason completing a chapter in Hard / Hardcore often only counted for the host, each of us did our Hard / Hardcore playthrough alone... Yeah, it was not even half as fun. Definitely a game that should be played in coop... 

Hope you get back to it, would fit the UR event nicely! :D 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Yeah so the PS4 version of Trine 2 has like the DLC included, I believe? Don't take my word on this.. But also here I agree. We did the first casual playthrough and collectibles clean-up in coop, and despite the game not being very good, we had fun playing it together. 

Then, because for some reason completing a chapter in Hard / Hardcore often only counted for the host, each of us did our Hard / Hardcore playthrough alone... Yeah, it was not even half as fun. Definitely a game that should be played in coop... 

Hope you get back to it, would fit the UR event nicely! :D 

I think the DLC part sounds about right! Haha because I didn't actually play through far enough to even find out yet ?

You are reading my mind tho, this will def be one of my picks coming up, most likely 3rd tier! I was thinking of trying to do one tier of only cleanup for past games. Yano, since my completion % is absolute shite and unsalvageable at this point (damn "video game ADD" ?), but I should at least try! Thanks for the inspiration mate ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Will be fun to see how challenging the levels can get! I imagine if you needed to get gold on every single level, the plat would be much harder to obtain. 

For sure.  The Devs were super nice with how they did the trophy list.  If they had wanted to, They could have made the game very close to rival Crypt in terms of Platinum Difficulty, if not outright surpass it. 

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

And in your case.. how are you liking Valfaris? After playing Slain, I think I will have to get my hands on that one as well :) 

Looking at your Slain review, if you liked it, I think you will like Valfaris it seems like a very similar style of game.  Oozing with flavor, wonton violence, and a metal edge that's played up to the extreme.  

• Like 1

In the end, tho, once you get the platinum, you'll feel like you did next to nothing when compared to what it could have been. 

I get anxious just thinking about the developers making EVERYTHING required for the platinum. For instance, don't know if you're aware of this, but there are secret levels with insane unlocking requirements. 

And yeah, agree with you. The game shines when it isn't trying to be hardcore.

Sadly, it's almost always trying to be hardcore.

I'd say good luck, but it's not like you'll need it, heh, you'll crush this. 

Edited by BlitzkriegHottie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

In n++, there have already been a handful of levels that took me over 150 attempts, with one level taking me 186 attempts! (I think that's the highest one so far). And I'm not even done! 

My highest attempts was the level "Nothing is Impossible" (which a quick google search tells me is X12-5) I had 251 deaths there ??.  Let me know how it goes for you. lol.

Edited by Together_Comic

@Together_Comic

It was a tough level for sure, but I found it pretty fun to learn to be honest :) Died too many times to the first drop, but even so I got it in 100 attempts:

Jc20RyS.jpg

So far, the one level that cost me the most attempts is this one: 

nYkHJZ6.jpg

Looks really simple, but with those drones moving all over the place, I actually choked quite a few times on the way back ?

"Only" 30 expert levels to go, and then it's time to continue with the Legacy levels! ?

I'm thinking of putting up two videos.. one with all N++ X-row levels, and one with all Legacy X-row levels... We'll see. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

There is another thing that bothered me. You have to finish levels in "groups of 5", called episodes. Now, you have 90 seconds time to complete an episode, and each piece of gold you get in a level adds 2 seconds to the timer. 

I'm.. not quite sure why this time-limit is necessary. It doesn't add anything to the game other than a bit more stress, and is - in my opinion - a completely unecessary feature. 1f610.png

Lastly... the lenght of the game. Not in hours, but in number of levels. I don't know man, even if you like a game to death, I think 2000+ levels are a bit overkill. I didn't have to complete all of them for the plat ("only" 1'435), but man, half the number would have been more than enough already! 

Congratulations on the platinum! Sorry that the game didn't really do it for you.  These two complaints are basically my two major complaints about the game. I really disliked the 5 level episode structure, mostly because my gaming time is often disjointed and having to commit to working through all 5 levels all at once or starting over began to grow irksome as the levels got tougher. I think that they were trying to encourage players to not just ignore all of the gold sitting around in the level.  Doing the levels in groups of 5 also solves the development problem of neatly displaying all of the levels that they have without going overboard with a jam packed screen so they just sort of did it that way.  Not the neatest solution, but I guess it kinda works? it just leads to some frustrating consequences. And yeah 2000+ levels is way overkill.  From what it seems, I liked the game a lot more than you did, and I still was all the way over it by the time I got to the end...

All the same good luck with Matterfall, not that you'll need it ?.  Hopefully you'll at least enjoy it more.

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 1

Congrats on the n++ plat! And good review overall, it has convinced me that it is a task that I won't go for, even though I love platformers…

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

The Worst

The emphasis on momentum, and its consequences on the gameplay. Now, let me be straight here: I don't think this is a flaw, and I don't think it is bad design... at all. But I still have to mention this as "the worst", because to me personally this was the worst aspect of the game. The main problem is, since it is THE central gameplay aspect, it also resulted in me not enjoying the game as much. 

… because of this. For you see, having played dozens of platformers and being kinda good at them, momentum-based dynamics is something I can't seem to get good at. Maybe it is because I have practised fast-paced platformers much more at a high/difficult level (SMB, y'know…), which is shared by some people who I've talked about this with, but even at arguably easier games with some momentum preservation such as the original Super Mario Bros I sometimes have a hard time trying to guide the character wherever I want. You saying that eventually you get used to it is somewhat comforting, but I don't know if I'd have the patience to reach that eventually! ?

Plus, having to play >1000 levels is… maybe too much, in my opinion. Too daunting. At least you didn't have to do all sorts of crazy things with the levels, "just" beating them.

So double congrats on the plat for all these reasons. :P

PS: Also wanted to tell you, because I think it's the first time I post here (I tend to read lots and hardly ever write), that I really like your thread here. Your reviews are really nice to read.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

You see, the game wants to make you feel like a ninja. For that purpose, it needs to work with acceleration and perservation of momentum, as this way it allows you to really reach high up places and fly halfway through a large level. But.. what does this mean in practice? For starters, it means that movement is not instantaneous. When you press right / left from a standing position, the ninja will start accelerating... slowly... until it reaches its maximum speed. When you let go of the direction you are pressing, it will slowly decelerate until it stands still again. This means that, for example, it is quite difficult to quickly change directions due to the occurring inertia (for example to avoid an enemy or whatever). This happens both on the ground, but also in the air. And the latter scenario is the one that - in my opinion - makes the controls feel... floaty. Like, REALLY floaty. 

This sounds like when you are playing Mario and moving on top of ice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

Congratulations on the platinum! Sorry that the game didn't really do it for you.  These two complaints are basically my two major complaints about the game. I really disliked the 5 level episode structure, mostly because my gaming time is often disjointed and having to commit to working through all 5 levels all at once or starting over began to grow irksome as the levels got tougher. I think that they were trying to encourage players to not just ignore all of the gold sitting around in the level.  Doing the levels in groups of 5 also solves the development problem of neatly displaying all of the levels that they have without going overboard with a jam packed screen so they just sort of did it that way.  Not the neatest solution, but I guess it kinda works? it just leads to some frustrating consequences. And yeah 2000+ levels is way overkill.  From what it seems, I liked the game a lot more than you did, and I still was all the way over it by the time I got to the end...

To be honest, I disliked the game more at the beginning. Once I got used to the mechanics, I started having more fun, at least with the levels that allowed me to fully use the movement mechanics... But as we have discussed before, most of the advanced levels try to be pretty hardcore, instead of letting you have "fun" ?

I, too, often need to suddenly stop playing and can pick up the game sometimes only hours later. Most of the time I was able to finish an entire episode, but I still needed to either put my console in rest mode or just leave it running for hours quite often. It was annoying, and sure, it allows the devs to display their 2000+ levels in a neat way... But I'd rather have less levels and no episode structure to be honest ?

16 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

Congrats on the n++ plat! And good review overall, it has convinced me that it is a task that I won't go for, even though I love platformers.

For you see, having played dozens of platformers and being kinda good at them, momentum-based dynamics is something I can't seem to get good at. Maybe it is because I have practised fast-paced platformers much more at a high/difficult level (SMB, y'know…), which is shared by some people who I've talked about this with, but even at arguably easier games with some momentum preservation such as the original Super Mario Bros I sometimes have a hard time trying to guide the character wherever I want. You saying that eventually you get used to it is somewhat comforting, but I don't know if I'd have the patience to reach that eventually! 1f605.png

Plus, having to play >1000 levels is… maybe too much, in my opinion. Too daunting. At least you didn't have to do all sorts of crazy things with the levels, "just" beating them.

So double congrats on the plat for all these reasons. :P

Thanks! :) And yeah, I definitely prefer fast-paced or precision-based platformers. I didn't necessarily have a hard time getting used to the momentum preservation, I just simply didn't like how the movement felt due to it ?

And absolutely... It just gets tiresome after a while. There are many more levels, too, that I didn't even touch.... I mean, Super Meat Boy has 300 levels, which feels pretty good, The End is Nigh has 600 levels, and while still ok, the game already feels long. While playing n++ it feels like it will never end ?

PS: Also wanted to tell you, because I think it's the first time I post here (I tend to read lots and hardly ever write), that I really like your thread here. Your reviews are really nice to read.

Thanks a lot, appreciate it :) Glad that you enjoy the reviews! 

14 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

This sounds like when you are playing Mario and moving on top of ice.

Yeah, it definitely feels a bit that way, only that in addition you need to jump through narrow gaps filled with mines while avoiding your own clones being followed by a homing missile ?

All the same good luck with Matterfall, not that you'll need it 1f602.png.  Hopefully you'll at least enjoy it more.

Thanks! But no, no luck needed indeed :P It's not a too challenging game, nowhere close to what Nex Machina asks of the player. I already played through all the chapters on Veteran without dying, and am now halfway through my Master speedrun. I would expect to be done with the game in another 1-2 hours and could have finished it yesterday evening, but I watched a movie with my girlfriend instead ? I'll finish this game on Monday or so, when I'm back from the weekend :) 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Congrats on Matterfall - and on the most challenging game of the year - The Hunt for a PS5!

It's weird, I honestly don't recall getting too frustrated hy hit boxing in Matterfall - though I played back to back with Nex, so I may have just been in such a chaos-haze that I barely registered it ?

It's definitely an easier game to platinum than Nex - though I found it much harder to pick up the mechanics of early on. 

Not sure if I'd agree that it is easier than Dead Nation - though that may be more down to Dead Nation being very much a Co-Op experience for me :hmm:

Also - I'm doing the new Demon's Souls right now - and it's a marvellous remake. Maybe Bluepoint's best work so far - and you know how highly I value their Shadow of the Colossus remake, so that should say all it needs to!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Congrats on the plat and the PS5 acquisition ?? Your reviews are always such a pleasure to read, JFTR!!

I must say, I am quite tantalized at the look of The Metronomicon... I have never heard of that but I am quite intrigued and may play that along with you if you decide to get it!! Thanks for the hot tip my man!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Congrats on Matterfall - and on the most challenging game of the year - The Hunt for a PS5!

Thanks! Man I couldn't tell you how lucky this random online-check was... there have been virtually no drops in Switzerland since at least March or so... Wasn't expecting to get one this year, to be honest! 

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's weird, I honestly don't recall getting too frustrated hy hit boxing in Matterfall - though I played back to back with Nex, so I may have just been in such a chaos-haze that I barely registered it ?

It's definitely an easier game to platinum than Nex - though I found it much harder to pick up the mechanics of early on. 

Not sure if I'd agree that it is easier than Dead Nation - though that may be more down to Dead Nation being very much a Co-Op experience for me :hmm:

It might be that I just notice wrong hitboxes personally, but it might not bother other players. There were a couple of times where I almost recorded a clip of me dying to a projectile that clearly didn't touch my character. But don't get me wrong, the game was fun enough that my enjoyment was not lowered by these issues :) It was just noticeable is all. 

I agree about the mechanics though. Using mostly the shoulder-buttons for everything was weird at first. Maybe doing a Vet run while still getting used to the controls would not have been the best idea indeed...

I haven't played Dead Nation though... From the three I've completed, Matterfall was definitely the easiest one. I proposed to Ms. Arc to do Dead Nation together, but after needing almost 2 weeks for Trine 3, a game that is remarkably short, I'm not sure if she'd be up for it... And then a Zombie-themed game... Not sure ?

16 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

I bought metronomicon awhile back while it was on sale and it has been gathering dust in the backlog.  Im interested to see what you think of it, but if you already have Wuppo, might be worth doing that one first. 

14 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

I must say, I am quite tantalized at the look of The Metronomicon... I have never heard of that but I am quite intrigued and may play that along with you if you decide to get it!! Thanks for the hot tip my man!

Yeah, I decided to start Wuppo and am currently doing my first playthrough on Insane. Beat 5 bosses I think so far, the game really looks unique and has been very fun! We'll see if I can complete it before my holidays, which are coming up soon :) 

Now, I will definitely get to The Metronomicon. But having hundreds of hours in my backlog, it would be silly to pay full price now and will just wait. I bet it will be discounted soon enough. The game definitely seems to be a very unique one, and I hope that my "hot tip" doesn't flop! ?

14 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Congrats on the plat and the PS5 acquisition ?? Your reviews are always such a pleasure to read, JFTR!!

Haha thanks a lot! :D Comments like these always make me smile :) Appreciate it! 

Now... I have mentioned multiple times that I don't care for Milestones. But, they are not going anywhere, and some can be at least be considered a Milestone regardless of this site. I did Splasher for my 100th completion, and I'm now approaching my 100th platinum, 

I will not make a poll or anything, in the end it's my profile and I should choose a game I want to take that Milestone-spot. But I'd still be curious... You have been following my journey, you know what kind of games I like, and how my approach to gaming is. And while I have a specific game in mind that I want to do, there might be other games out there that I just did not think off. 

So, do you have any games that you think would be fitting as my 100th plat Milestone? :) 

P.S: And before you name Crypt.. That's just not gonna happen. I'd love to, in fact, when I started it I said that it was my goal to make it my 100th plat, but I don't have the time required to do it. ? 

• Like 4