Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

You know, and this here is precisely why I still want to try it out. It seems to be a very enjoyable game that, despite its challenge, is just fun to play... I was surprised by Trials Fusion in a similar way. I didn't know I would end up liking that game so much. And so, when I was done, I looked back and was really happy to have put in the time to get (somewhat) good at that game. The way you talk about Dirt Rally 2.0, you really make it sound like it could provide a similar experience. Sure, it might take a while to learn the game, it might take a long time to complete, it might be challenging as hell... But as long as the game is fun, I really don't care about any of that :)  

Yeah it's very similar in that regard since both games are the closest to perfection in terms of gameplay, visuals, sound & enjoyment so I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I've had moments when I attempted the hard events & after a few tries I think that this can't be possible or surely I don't have to go as fast as it requires, however you have to so it makes you really push for it. The hard events once finished are some of the most satisfying things to do as you have to push so hard on these events lol. I look back my videos sometimes as it's satisfying to watch stuff like that. The game is so enjoyable & I'm glad there's a trophy that requires something like this.

6 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

That's why I love these checklists. We're on a trophy forum. We love trophies. But in these checklists, I really feel the focus is on the games, trophies are a bonus.

That's why I like this part too as you get to read some amazing write ups & the experience people had on certain games, which makes it easier to decide what game to get at times. I can't wait to get one on here going as well.

2 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

This statement is incredibly true, as you can count me among those who severely underestimated this game 1f606.png But it really is a blast so I don't mind the punishment! Honestly man, I dunno if you or your fellow hosts would agree, but this one could certainly be considered as a most wanted bounty for the UR Cleanup 1f609.png

I've heard a lot about this game it's definitely one of those where the rarity is too high for what it is although that's mostly as not many have the game in comparison to the first one, but even though the rarity is too high I can see not many have been able to finish this game & that says a lot. I'll need to watch your runs & follow you progress! Nice going so far!

• Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 9:08 AM, Arcesius said:

Hellooooo everyone! As promised, here is the first episode of the Mini-Series, where we talk about games that meet specific criteria :) While I promised a Top-5 list, I actually decided while writing that I will only choose 3 games to talk about. That is not because I didn't find two more, but rather because the post is already long enough as it is ? 

Sorry for all the tagging! There's gonna be quite a bit of that here ?

Mini Series #1 – Games I'm afraid to start

Welcome to a new mini-series of sorts, where I talk about games that meet certain criteria! This first episode is going to be somewhat special though… Since I'm going to talk about "games I'm scared to start", I cannot really talk about my experience with said games (you know... since I don't have any experience with them just yet :D). Instead, I want to quickly go over each game, maybe give a brief summary of what type of game it is, and explain why it is that I have such massive respect for it.  

Now, when it comes to being "afraid" of starting a specific game, most of the time it is due to having heard certain things about the game in question that makes me wanna think twice before I start it. And no, I don't mean hearing things from the general public, or randoms on reddit. I'm not talking about a "Dark Souls"-style effect, where a mainstream-medium talks about a specific game coming out being "so hard", or "borderline impossible". I'm talking specifically about information and statements from people I know, and from which I know what they are capable of. 

As an example, starting Splasher was not necessarily an impulsive decision. I waited with starting it until I felt that I was in the correct mindset to tackle it. I had witnessed first hand how much @Miles, or @Stardroid, or @SlimSanta94 had struggled with certain challenges the game threw at them, and knowing what these monsters are usually capable of really put things in perspective. Will I be able to add my name to that exclusive list of achievers? Do I have what it takes to 100% that game? I think knowing that such skilled players had struggled with the challenge allowed me to approach the game in a much more – how to put it… - careful but also focused manner.

This is also why this list is not a "games I will probably never start" list. On the contrary. It is a list of games that I will play eventually, but games that I will only begin once I know I am ready for whatever challenges they have to offer. And it certainly is a list of games I feel excited about getting to eventually! :) 

3. Sine Mora EX

L6bbcb0.png

Most definitely not the hardest Shmup out there, I know. And it seems that the PS4 version, the one that I'll be playing, is the easiest of the three available… BUT… do you see any other Shmup on my profile? The last time I played a game of this genre was Solar Striker on the Game Boy, and I wasn't particularly good at it... ?

So, what is Sine Mora EX? Well, it's an ancient side-scrolling 2.5D shoot'em up initially released in 2012 and re-released for the PS4 (among other systems) in 2017. Instead of using a classic "health" mechanic, the player has a timer that ticks down. If you run out of time, it's game over. Taking damage temporarily accelerates the timer ticking down, and killing enemies adds time back to the timer. So it's a balancing act of sorts, and as far as I understand, this also means that you cannot just ignore enemies and try to not get hit, but really have to chase some enemies down or risking running out of time. 

6hpi6UZ.jpg   ePSsjqZ.jpg

Now, I am not one of those people that is already saying "man, I'm too old for games that require quick reflexes!". I still have it, ok? ? But I guess if there is a genre that could actually show me that the statement is true… it'd be this one. Moreover, every second post in the game's forum starts with "Man, this game is hard as balls", and I distinctively remember when @Baker returned to the game after a break and wrote in a status update something along the lines of "I put 40 hours of practice into this game over the last week…" when he only had one trophy left…

With all of that, the questions in my head are "Is this the right game to try out for the genre? If shmup-veterans still say that this is a hard game, do I even stand a chance? What if I really am too old for this shit?" aaaand… those are questions that sure want to answer, but only if the answer is one I like :D  

2. Dirt Rally 2.0

L2b7501.png

Oooooh racing games… Another genre I don’t have much experience with… Outside of competitive, blood-boiling, curse-throwing Mario Kart sessions with friends until 3 AM back when I was in University of course, but I don’t think that counts :D 

Fast forward to 2019… A game I had been eyeballing with for a long time goes on sale for the 100th time… Trackmania Turbo. And the nightmare begins ?
I LOVED Trackmania Turbo… I really did. But the game didn’t love me back. It did everything it could to crush me, and it often succeeded… What you hear about that game is not exaggerated. It is brutal, and it will test your perseverance, your patience, and your skill. It was a game that really humbled me, and is probably the game on my profile with which I suffered the most. 
But I succeeded eventually, and finally added my first racing game to my profile. It was then eventually followed by WipEout: Omega Collection, a much easier game that I also enjoyed quite a bit. 

So now, here we are, craving my next racing game. And with me is Dirt Rally 2.0, a PS+ game with tons of DLC. And one of those DLCs in particular is why I am scared to even fire this game up. 

What is Dirt Rally 2.0? First of all, while a racing game, it differs significantly from the other two racing games I have played. Both Trackmania Turbo and WipEout fall into the fictive Arcade Racing subgroup. Dirt Rally is a Racing Simulator, and as such requires an completely different understanding of its mechanics. If there is one thing that I’m looking forward when I get to this game is to experience driving through Spain, Finland, New Zealand… We’ll see if I have time to take in the scenery :D  

NoGd5ke.jpg   XyVlcug.jpg   

Ok, so new genre.. but what is so bad about Dirt Rally 2.0 that it makes it onto this list? It’s basically two statements about a DLC-Trophy: Flatout.  

• @Destructor-8: “Flatout from Dirt Rally 2.0 makes Trackmania Turbo look easy”.

Well fuck me then :D Honestly, if there is one person on here that knows racing games is gotta be him (and Alexgaara, let's not forget Alexgaara). Now, Alex already did a fantastic job putting a thread together collecting tips and times and whatnot for this specific DLC/trophy. But seeing Destructor-8 struggling to get Flatout, while at the same time being so experienced with racers is really.. indimidating! Have you seen the sheer amount of completed racing games on his profile? And man, he rated Trackmania a 9/10... and then goes on to make that statement ?

• @Mori: “Flatout is still one of my top-5 proudest trophies on PSN”

Ffs… Have you seen what this guy has been able to pull off otherwise? Having played quite a few games with him in recent years and having experienced first-hand how somewhat effortlessly he is able to get some of the hardest stuff done, anything in his top-5 list should be a “do not attempt”-zone for me. I remember getting ready for our Divinity: Original Sin 2 one Saturday. We get into the party and he was playing Dirt Rally 2.0. He had been trying the last Flatout event for a ridiculous amount of time and wasn't about to give up. It took him a while longer, but he finally managed to pull through and was just so freaking exited to have been successful. I already noticed then by his reaction that this must have been an incredible accomplishment... I just had no idea just yet how incredibly difficult this must have been. 

So here we are… a couple of pretty scary statements, a thread full of information I don’t quite understand about threshold breaking and a genre I’m not familiar with at all. If this doesn’t scream “stay away”, then I don’t know what does ?

1. Super Meat Boy Forever

Lb1e2c0.png

You saw this one coming, didn't you? ?

There are no excuses here… It’s a genre I enjoy and know am good at, it is the sequel to a game I’ve beaten… And still, I can not start Super Meat Boy Forever without having second thoughts. And there are multiple reasons for it. 

Super Meat Boy Forever was first announced back in 2014, where the idea was to have a game releasing strictly on mobile. For a while, nothing really happened… A couple of years later, in 2017 and after Edmund McMillen left Team Meat, the project was re-announced, but the idea was now to bring the game to consoles. After pushing back the release date at least four times, the game finally released in December 2020. 
And while the game is no longer a mobile-game, the gameplay could very well fit in one. You see, this is no longer a traditional platformer like its predecessor. It is an endless runner, and the player is only either jumping / punching or sliding. You cannot control in which direction Meat Boy is running, you cannot control its speed. 

dXy5xFO.jpg   bW5ZQ34.jpg

And this is already the first reason why I am scared to start this game. I adored Super Meat Boy. It is not my favorite platformer as you all know (This Episode is sponsored by The End is Nigh. The End is Nigh, the best platformer Arc has ever played (I hope you imaniged that line spoken by a woman's voice, advertisement-style ?)), but it is a really fun and well put together platformer. Meat Boy feels incredibly satisfying to control, the level design is on point, and the challenge it offers is daunting but manageable. SMBF feels… way different. After playing the original game I kept checking for news and updates regarding the sequel, I truly was excited for a new game to come out. And while I like how the result looks like, I really don’t want to be disappointed by its gameplay... Does that make sense? 

Now, some people that both love the first game and tried out the second one tell me that SMBF is also a lot of fun, so that is at least somewhat reassuring. ?

But that’s not all. Let's get together, kids. I want to tell you a scary story...

Who here remembers @ExistentialSolid's exquisite checklist? The guy came into this corner of the forums with one idea: To find the game that destroys him. And what a checklist it was… He completed Ikaruga as his first game, and it seemed like he didn’t even break a sweat. Splasher was next, the one game that to this day I classify as the hardest game I completed… ExistentialSolid? Hah. He wasn’t even happy just completing the game’s challenges. He went back to the individual levels and full-game speedruns to improve his times, and got a ridiculous number of #1 Leaderboard spots. It was incredible to follow along with his progress and updates... 

And then… after getting bored with The Binding of Isaac, ExistentialSolid started the freshly released SMBF. And for the first time he found a game that destroyed him. SMBF is the reason his checklist doesn’t exist anymore. In a profile filled with insane games at 100%, SMBF still remains incomplete to this day ?

He is not the only one though. There is yet another name that cought my attention. There is one profile filled with very niche and very difficult games alike. A profile that I check from time to time for inspiration. A profile that – you guessed it – has SMBF incomplete on it. It’s @Big_Blue_Tree, a player that has otherwise an incredible record to show. 

And while I am almost sure that I want to play SMBF for my Platinum #100 milestone, I am in no hurry to get to #99 :D I am very certain that this game will be much harder to complete than the original. 

So there you have it… Three games I’m scared to start for one reason or another. I hope this post was entertaining, I will definitely try to get to some of the other options that were suggested or received some love in the poll :) 

In the meantime, I'll be trying to make progress in RAD. I will be gone over the weekend, and have some people that come to visit next week and they will be staying in my apartment, so no idea if I will even find the time to play at all... We'll see! 

Take care everyone!

I’d like to add that I think your beast and a very solid player.

So if a scrub like me can 100% Sine Mora then I know your do it pretty easily.

Its really not even that hard of a game , just gotta memorize we’re ships spawn and abuse your reflection shied vs bosses.

Btw I haven’t maxed it out yet, but It shouldnt much longer, but just wanted to say you’ll be fine on that one when the time comes.

Edited 7 minutes ago by Wild-Arms-R

• Like 2

Did you just not have a lot of time lately, or is the game currently kicking your behind? 

It was definitely the latter, this game is absolutely BRUTAL for the harder deathless runs!! It took me a week of perfecting OxDEADBEEF, which is World 6. I decided to try for that, thinking it would be harder than some of the early Dark Worlds and I'm pretty sure I was right!

Finally knocked that bastard out today tho, phew ? I was starting to lose hope... After the 3rd time of getting through 5/6 levels, then making some dumbass mistake on a simple section, it can be a very soul-crushing experience! What sets this apart from SMB is it feels much harder to get a good streak going. That and there are so many places to make an easy mistake, such as jumping too early, not extending your dash punch, etc.

Now that I'm in the thick of it, whereas I give SMB an 8/10 difficultywise for me, I have no qualms at all giving SMBF 10/10. Yep, it's that friggin hard... For me anyway!! I'm trying to stay patient and resilient tho, as this plat would look sooooooooo sweet as a milestone. I'm not giving up yet, that's for damn sure! I may need to find a zen-like game to play in the interim, for my sanity's sake tho...

Thanks! Yeah, the guide is great :) The only thing I was worried is "Shopaholic"... I wasn't sure if the trophy was supposed to pop as soon as 5 items started being available, but it did pop yesterday so it's all good. 

I'll be honest... I started getting bored after about 10 hours or so. The game is really easy for a rogue-like, and even though there are only 6 maps in a run, they take waaaaaay too long (1-1.5 hours). And even new mutations can not always help freshen up the gameplay... 

And so, I started experimenting. I figured out how a way to, for example, get all lore entries for one world from a single lore altar. And I am currently experimenting with "tasks". I cannot say yet if my method works, but I managed to get one single quest giver to give me almost all tasks for that world. The "problem" is that there was not "cave" in the map, so obviously I couldn't get him to give me the "find the missing person" task. As soon as I find a quest-giver and a cave in 1-2, I'll be able to test whether it is possible to get every single quest from the same quest giver AND have them count (I use backup-saves, so that's why I'm not 100% sure if it will work this way). If that is the case... Well, that together with the lore-entries exploit might save over 30-40 hours for the plat 1f605.png

With the lore entries at least I'm sure it works since they get an entry in the Tome of the Ancients. As far as I can tell, there is no way to check if a task has been completed already. 

Then it's just a matter of grinding for the remaining items and mutations... I think I still have a long way to go 1f610.png

Wow Arc, that would be absolutely splendid if your method works!! The tasks have without a doubt been the plat blocker for most with this game, going off of the rarities anyway. Agreed that it's not difficult by any means, but that grind is real! Anything you have to contribute towards alleviating that for future players would be most welcome. Please keep me posted on your progress in that regard!

You are right unfortunately enough, there is no way of knowing which ones you have completed. It took me several weeks to figure out the last task I needed for the Cathode Raiders (and subsequently the plat), to the point where I had to message the devs on Discord to ask. I was thinking something was wrong or glitched because of that stupid find the bunker task I had no clue even existed! But yes, you are on the right track and just need to get the cave to spawn along with a task-giver. Hopefully then your method proves fruitful and I can update the guide, with due credit to you of course ? If it makes you feel any better, during that grind for me I did come across that mission on more than a few occasions. 

Hang in there tho, buddy... You've got this!! Sounds like you are already well on your way ?

• Like 2

Hello, Arcesius

Are you enjoying Rad? What do you think of it?

You know the club that does higher damage, the Mega-Leg, do you understand the description: "More damage as long as you don't make a snack on it"? Does it mean as long as enemies don't drop meat? I was playing de-made with it and realized the meat of the weapon was gone, it had only the bone. I wonder if the weapon heals you and then loses its damage.

Anyway good luck with Rad! (We kinda need it ?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GravityQueeen said:

You know the club that does higher damage, the Mega-Leg, do you understand the description: "More damage as long as you don't make a snack on it"? Does it mean as long as enemies don't drop meat? I was playing de-made with it and realized the meat of the weapon was gone, it had only the bone. I wonder if the weapon heals you and then loses its damage.

Hello there! I found this info out in the interwebs, I hope it helps:

• Mega Leg: Deals significantly more damage when weapon has meat on bone. When the player reaches 2 hit-points, one “bite” will be taken, giving the player 1 hit-point (back to 3). This can happen up to 3 times before the damage buff is lost, and healing will no longer occur. Its unclear if these “bites” can come back. Teleport damage is set to 3 hit-points.

I'll provide a link to the source here, just in case you need it! I hope this helps ? 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:35 PM, Joe Dubz said:

It was definitely the latter, this game is absolutely BRUTAL for the harder deathless runs!! It took me a week of perfecting OxDEADBEEF, which is World 6. I decided to try for that, thinking it would be harder than some of the early Dark Worlds and I'm pretty sure I was right!

Finally knocked that bastard out today tho, phew ? I was starting to lose hope... After the 3rd time of getting through 5/6 levels, then making some dumbass mistake on a simple section, it can be a very soul-crushing experience! What sets this apart from SMB is it feels much harder to get a good streak going. That and there are so many places to make an easy mistake, such as jumping too early, not extending your dash punch, etc.

Now that I'm in the thick of it, whereas I give SMB an 8/10 difficultywise for me, I have no qualms at all giving SMBF 10/10. Yep, it's that friggin hard... For me anyway!! I'm trying to stay patient and resilient tho, as this plat would look sooooooooo sweet as a milestone. I'm not giving up yet, that's for damn sure! I may need to find a zen-like game to play in the interim, for my sanity's sake tho...

Congrats on that first challenging no-death world? The glitched levels look even more confusing than some of the regular ones ? I don't know if your progress is encouraging me to actually start the game, or having the opposite effect of confirming that I should indeed be afraid of starting this one... 

However, that you are indeed having fun despite this bein an auto-runner really is somethit I wanted to hear :) Hang in there!! 

Wow Arc, that would be absolutely splendid if your method works!! The tasks have without a doubt been the plat blocker for most with this game, going off of the rarities anyway. Agreed that it's not difficult by any means, but that grind is real! Anything you have to contribute towards alleviating that for future players would be most welcome. Please keep me posted on your progress in that regard!

I can confirm that my method works!

As you can see from the trophies I've earned, I managed to complete all tasks for all factions before even having played enough runs to unlock all weapons or quirks ? I also have all Lore entries by now. There was one Transfigured Task missing from the guide: Open the chest with the broken lock :) 

At the time of writing, I have played RAD for roughly 30 hours, and "only" have a couple of consumables / artifacts and mutations to go (though fortunately I already have the Daburu Gyaruga ? Though I got this one from the arcade machines above the Raider's camp, not from those on the island after the tunnel). I'm also missing one boss... The Conjointed... Can all bosses spawn in 1-2 and 2-2 or are they exclusive to one of the levels?

I'm only missing some upgraded versions of artifacts... Do they only appear in World 3, or what's my best bet for getting those?

I'll share how to force the tasks to appear next ween when I have a bit more time. Should I just write here or would you prefer a PM?

On 9/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, GravityQueeen said:

Hello, Arcesius

Are you enjoying Rad? What do you think of it?

Anyway good luck with Rad! (We kinda need it ?)

Hey there! Fortunately @Joe Dubz was already kind enough to answer :) 

I had my fun with RAD, but it became too repetitive too quickly. For the las couple of hours I was entertained because I was experimenting with how to force specific tasks / lore entries to show up. The game is not varied enough to play it for more than 10-20 runs in my opinion. 

What do you think? Are you still enjoying it?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Already done with the faction tasks?! Impressive! I agree with you, Rad is too repetitive. My biggest gripe so far is that the raider's camp on 1-2 seems too rare, it never spawns for me. After being on my wishlist, and then on backlog, I finally started Rad two weeks ago, but got disappointed right away: I tought the game was ugly, didnt like combat and the gameplay at all, the narrator... It started as a terrible experience once I was coming from another roguelike that I loved: Going Under. But after a week of struggling or avoiding playing it for long, Rad kinda "clicked on me", I no longer think it is a bad game, it is good and can be fun, but it loses its flavor too fast due to repetition.

Yesterday I beat de-made style having acquired tape-worm endomutation X5, what was totatally useless combatwise! Now Im going for tasks and tome completion. 

• Like 4

Niiiiiiice man, this is fantastic news! Yes if you just want to PM me so we don't clog up your nice checklist here, that is fine.

Sorry to say tho it's been a while and some of the finer details escape me. Someone a few months ago shared a bunch of info he collected during his time with the game, so let me review some of that and I might just copy and paste it to a PM if it seems useful to where you are at!

As I mentioned before, the guide is a bit thin when it comes to all the Tome stuff... At the time we were writing it, there was barely any info out there, even on the wiki. I didn't do a good job of keeping track of all that, so I guess we more or less just wanted a better explanation of how stuff works for future players! Someday tho, I should quit being lazy and add all that stuff in...! ?

As for being scared to start smbf... I mean maybe a little? You're right tho, it's been very much enjoyable so it doesn't feel like a chore or anything! Just gonna take tons of practice is all.

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 3

I see you just started Titanfall 2 @Arcesius! Good thing you got the multiplayer trophies first, the servers have been getting DDoSed for ages.
Fun fact, Titanfall 2 was actually made on the Valve's Source Engine that they used for the Half-Life games! You'll definitely get a feel for it with the Becomes the Master trophy, which is a ton of fun to do. For that trophy, you'll come across multiple dummies that are huddled in groups of three; I recommend making use of your grenades and aiming at the middle of a group whilst mid-air to not only destroy them all at once, but to also preserve your momentum. I'll actually link a really good video that helped me out:

By the way, be careful once you start jumping at the wall running section at 0:56, the ceiling is pretty low and you can bump into it really easily! ?
You can utilize quick double jumps to gain height if need be, but in this section it's best to space out your double jumps.

And best of luck with finishing Rad, you're nearly there! That game looks like quite a grind; 50 playthroughs on the guide, sheesh! ?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, GravityQueeen said:

Already done with the faction tasks?! Impressive!

Well, thing is, I found a way to force the game to cycle through all possible tasks and have them count if you complete them. You are still at the mercy of RNG though, since some tasks are location-specific (for example you can only get the task "make the boom berry sprout" from the dude in world 2 inside the tree house... If the quest giver is outside, you cannot get this quest at all). 

But even so, this allowed me to get any task as soon as everything was there for the task to be even possible :) I'm in contact with @Joe Dubz so that he can update the guide with this information! You can hit me up if you need that info asap :)  

I agree with you, Rad is too repetitive. My biggest gripe so far is that the raider's camp on 1-2 seems too rare, it never spawns for me. 

Yeah it seems that the guy spawns in 1/10 runs... And you get a cave in 1/5 runs in 1-2... So it took me a while to find both a quest giver AND a cave for the last task I was missing ?

After being on my wishlist, and then on backlog, I finally started Rad two weeks ago, but got disappointed right away: I tought the game was ugly, didnt like combat and the gameplay at all, the narrator... It started as a terrible experience once I was coming from another roguelike that I loved: Going Under. But after a week of struggling or avoiding playing it for long, Rad kinda "clicked on me", I no longer think it is a bad game, it is good and can be fun, but it loses its flavor too fast due to repetition.

Well, my initial impressions were different. I actually enjoyed the narrator ? I was always like "how is he going to say RAAAAAAAD this time around?" ? After about 40 hours I have finally seen all bosses and have all Endo and Exo Mutations. I'm "only" missing two items and two Artifacts now. But who knows how long those are going to take still ?

Good luck finding the remaining stuff!!

On 9/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, Joe Dubz said:

As I mentioned before, the guide is a bit thin when it comes to all the Tome stuff... At the time we were writing it, there was barely any info out there, even on the wiki. I didn't do a good job of keeping track of all that, so I guess we more or less just wanted a better explanation of how stuff works for future players! Someday tho, I should quit being lazy and add all that stuff in...! 1f605.png

Man, there is absolutely nothing to worry about with regards to the guide... The game is even after being almost done still a mistery. You covered the items that can only be gotten from specific locations (Gyaruga and the Skeleton Items.. still missing the Egg). Everything else seems random, although it might be that upgraded Artifacts start spawning the earliest in World 2? At least they are available from then on in shops... but no idea if that statement is accurate ? so even if you would have kept track of everything from the very start... chances are you would not have seen all possitilities even with all the time you spent with the game! 

What I would add to the guide is how to get the "Egghead" mutation from "Cobruh" :) 

On 9/13/2021 at 6:18 AM, Shrooba said:

I see you just started Titanfall 2 @Arcesius! Good thing you got the multiplayer trophies first, the servers have been getting DDoSed for ages.

Haha yeah :D I'm usually not too impulsive, but people started being all hysterical about the Servers, and I really want to play this game.. So I decided to get those three trophies out of the way.. they only take a couple of minutes anyways :) 

Fun fact, Titanfall 2 was actually made on the Valve's Source Engine that they used for the Half-Life games! You'll definitely get a feel for it with the Becomes the Master trophy, which is a ton of fun to do. For that trophy, you'll come across multiple dummies that are huddled in groups of three; I recommend making use of your grenades and aiming at the middle of a group whilst mid-air to not only destroy them all at once, but to also preserve your momentum.

By the way, be careful once you start jumping at the wall running section at 0:56, the ceiling is pretty low and you can bump into it really easily! 1f605.png
You can utilize quick double jumps to gain height if need be, but in this section it's best to space out your double jumps.

Thanks for the vid! I have heard many things about that challenge, looking forward to it! Although I thought of playing through the campaign first to get a feel for the game... This will be my first FPS after casually playing Halo many, many years ago! ? We'll see if I can even aim! But people seem to love this game, so I thought it might be a good choice for adding a FPS to my profile :)  

And best of luck with finishing Rad, you're nearly there! That game looks like quite a grind; 50 playthroughs on the guide, sheesh! 1f605.png

Well.. 50 playthroughs is the maximum you can select when creating the guide... You need way more than 50, though you don't need to complete each run... You'll be doing a ton of partial runs to try to get specific mutations / items / NPCs / Bosses to spawn... 

But thanks! It is indeed quite the grind ? And it's extremely RNG-heavy.. I've read of people running 50-60 hours to find one specific item (I already have that one luckily). Imagine spending that time on a single spawn... ? 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

@Arcesius - I've always thought that Rad looked pretty cool. It seems a lot of people find it very repetitive, though. Combine that with some RNG based bullshit and yeah, bit of a turn off ?

In regards to Titanfall 2. I haven't followed any of the panic regarding the servers but I did read that the multiplayer trophies could be earned in private lobbies. I shared that info when these issues first popped up a couple of months ago but I think the post got lost in all the panic on that thread. It's a game I want to do as well. Do you think it's worth me also just getting those trophies out of the way?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

@Arcesius - I've always thought that Rad looked pretty cool. It seems a lot of people find it very repetitive, though. Combine that with some RNG based bullshit and yeah, bit of a turn off 1f602.png

In regards to Titanfall 2. I haven't followed any of the panic regarding the servers but I did read that the multiplayer trophies could be earned in private lobbies. I shared that info when these issues first popped up a couple of months ago but I think the post got lost in all the panic on that thread. It's a game I want to do as well. Do you think it's worth me also just getting those trophies out of the way?

If you need help with those trophies let me know - would be happy to reinstall TF2 to help you out!

@Arcesius Cool stuff that you added an FPS!  I hope you like TF2.  When you do get around to the “Becomes the Master” trophy there are lots of video guides out there, so feel free to browse around if you have problems.  (I did, it took me ~5 hours to get that dang trophy, but was so proud when I popped it).

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

@Arcesius - I've always thought that Rad looked pretty cool. It seems a lot of people find it very repetitive, though. Combine that with some RNG based bullshit and yeah, bit of a turn off 1f602.png

Man, the RNG can be pretty ridiculous... But hey, at least I found one more Artifact I was missing... one more and two consumables to go! ??

Hmm.. Yeah, I saw your post, and I actually got that one trophy in a private match. 

HOWEVER, I just fired up the game offline (no network connection on my PS5) to see if I could start a private match, and you cannot even access the Multiplayer section while offline. Take that for what you will, but if the servers were to be taken down, it looks like the MP trophies could become unobtainable! Or maybe not, no idea how that works ?

I thought I'd just give you a heads up :) 

16 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

@Arcesius Cool stuff that you added an FPS!  I hope you like TF2.  When you do get around to the “Becomes the Master” trophy there are lots of video guides out there, so feel free to browse around if you have problems.  (I did, it took me ~5 hours to get that dang trophy, but was so proud when I popped it).

Man, there is so much talk about that trophy, I really want to get to it! ? I hope to finish RAD soon and jump straight into TF2! Not sure if I want to grind the Gauntlet out at the very beginning, or try to get used to the controls first... We'll see, hopefully soon enough! :) Really hyped about this game! 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Man, the RNG can be pretty ridiculous... But hey, at least I found one more Artifact I was missing... one more and two consumables to go! 1f602.png1f62d.png

Nearly there dude! You're up against the hardest boss in video games - when it comes to RNG. Kudos for powering through 

23 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Hmm.. Yeah, I saw your post, and I actually got that one trophy in a private match. 

HOWEVER, I just fired up the game offline (no network connection on my PS5) to see if I could start a private match, and you cannot even access the Multiplayer section while offline. Take that for what you will, but if the servers were to be taken down, it looks like the MP trophies could become unobtainable! Or maybe not, no idea how that works 1f602.png

I thought I'd just give you a heads up :) 

Man, there is so much talk about that trophy, I really want to get to it! 1f602.png I hope to finish RAD soon and jump straight into TF2! Not sure if I want to grind the Gauntlet out at the very beginning, or try to get used to the controls first... We'll see, hopefully soon enough! :) Really hyped about this game! 

Thanks for quickly checking if offline is an option. I've got the game on download right now  it's my understanding THAT trophy is up for grabs at the beginning of the game? Well, guess I'll be knocking that out straight after the multiplayer this afternoon ?

@DrunkenEngineer - Thanks for the offer buddy. I'll probably quickly grab the multiplayer trophy in a private match and then get off the online section to avoid whatever mad shit is going on haha.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Do you think it's worth me also just getting those trophies out of the way?

43 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

I'll probably quickly grab the multiplayer trophy in a private match and then get off the online section to avoid whatever mad shit is going on haha.

From my experience, I also got affected by the DDoS even in private matches (do note that this was a couple months ago so circumstances may have changed), but since you could maybe get stuff done with more coordination there that's probably your best bet. I definitely agree that it wouldn't hurt to just get those three trophies done now, and then come back to the game later. The campaign in Titanfall 2 is freaking awesome, you'll love it! ? So many twists and turns, and the gameplay is very innovative. Really reminds me of Half-Life if I hadn't mentioned that already! ?

It's a shame that there's bad people out there damaging the game like this; it's gained a dedicated fanbase that still play it's online and it hurts to see the community being torn because of what's been happening...

17 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

When you do get around to the “Becomes the Master” trophy there are lots of video guides out there, so feel free to browse around if you have problems.  (I did, it took me ~5 hours to get that dang trophy, but was so proud when I popped it).

It's definitely a tricky one for sure, but I'm with you all the way there; it feels awesome when you finally get it! ? Doing that made me really appreciate the possibilities with the gameplay, I hope they do a Titanfall 3 one day! A definite trophy to be proud of; it's a mark that you've mastered the game's mobility!

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

I hope to finish RAD soon and jump straight into TF2! Not sure if I want to grind the Gauntlet out at the very beginning, or try to get used to the controls first... We'll see, hopefully soon enough! :) Really hyped about this game! 

Titanfall 2 is one of the best FPS games out there; it's a beautiful trophy list to have on a profile mate! Doing it first definitely wouldn't hurt, usually with my games I always like to get the hardest content done and out of the way-- but in the case of TF2 it's definitely a fun kind of hard. I believe I did the campaign first, but either way is viable! And best of luck!

• Like 3

You’re playing a FPS @Arcesius? ?

Titanfall 2 is a solid choice. It’s not as good as the Wolfenstein games imo, but good nonetheless.

The difficulty of Becomes The Master reminds me of certain other games that are referred to as difficult but are just a meme. You will get that within a few tries.

Next up Black Ops 4? 

Edited by Baker
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

From my experience, I also got affected by the DDoS even in private matches (do note that this was a couple months ago so circumstances may have changed), but since you could maybe get stuff done with more coordination there that's probably your best bet. I definitely agree that it wouldn't hurt to just get those three trophies done now, and then come back to the game later. The campaign in Titanfall 2 is freaking awesome, you'll love it! 1f600.png So many twists and turns, and the gameplay is very innovative. Really reminds me of Half-Life if I hadn't mentioned that already! 1f605.png

It's a shame that there's bad people out there damaging the game like this; it's gained a dedicated fanbase that still play it's online and it hurts to see the community being torn because of what's been happening...

Yeah it's a shame mate. I played the first Titanfall to death with my son online, Apex too. Really fun games with stellar movement. It sucks that some salty little pricks out there want to ruin the fun for others.

So far Titanfall 2's movement is as crisp as the other games. You're in for a treat @Arcesius!!

I've loaded the game up, got a little feel for the controls in the Gauntlet, backed out, knocked out the multiplayer trophies and then jumped back into the Gauntlet to grab Becomes The Master. You'll have no problems here Arc. Granted, FPS games are my thing and I've played their other shooters, so yeah I didn't expect it to take many attempts for me. I don't imagine it will cause you too much trouble though once you get a feel for the controls. I'll put my run in my thread.

• Like 2

With the Gauntlet being right at the start of the game... I just couldn't resist and get it out of the way! :P  

? see, I don't know how anyone can resist when they put the most challenging stuff right at the beginning of the game! 

Really nice run there mate. Some good accuracy with the nades and very snappy hip fire.

And the challenge definitely didn't live up to the hype. Ok, I didn't only need "a few tries", but according to my timestamps I got it done in one hour. 

Most of my restarts were due to the first group of three enemies. Most of the time, one of them would still be alive after the grenade, for some reason ? I even finished 3 or 4 sub-33 runs before my winning one, where I didn't notice that one of the guys had survived, so I got time added to the timer. 

Yeah, I agree with you but I think people make it more frustrating than it needs to be. As you found for yourself, the Eva 8 shotgun completely negates the need to ADS, which makes it very easy to maintain your speed. It also has enough magazine capacity to take care of all targets without reloading, if you throw some well placed grenades.

Regardless, I am pretty happy to have gotten this so quickly, given that I never play these types of games :) What I can already say is that movement here is pretty satisfying! I really am looking forward to the campaign! From a gameplay perspective, I think this game is really promising...

Knew it wouldn't take you long dude!

Hope you enjoy your time with the campaign. If I post anything more on the game, it won't be until after you're done with it.

Next up for real though... my review of RAD! I hope to have it up by tomorrow :) 

Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts on this one, as stylistically, it still looks so cool to me. It will be interesting to hear whether it was much of a chore - taking into account the things you sussed out while playing.

Edit - OK, I just looked on the forum and see that using the Eva 8 is the go to strat. I genuinely didn't realise. I assumed people were trying to ADS which would of been slowing them down. Nvm on that one.

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 1

Nice work!  I'll admit I'm one of those "this is a really hard trophy" types for "Becomes the Master", but in my defense this is one of the first games I cleaned up at the end of 2020 when I committed to trophy hunting.  I'm sure if I had to tackle it again, fresh, it wouldn't be near as rough.

I also suspect a lot of the hysteria is just due to how popular the game is/was for casual fans (and myself I got it on PS+), so the potential for an echo chamber is great.

• Like 1