Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

Excellent review my man, I say you hit the nail right on the head with that one! A game that starts off fun and intriguing, but soon enough starts to overstay its welcome ?

I don't know if future players will realize how much they need to thank you, for figuring out the method to cut down on what could easily be another 40-50 hours of grinding towards the end! I was very happy to add that to the guide, bravo my dude ???

• Like 4

Firstly, really nice write up for RAD dude! Even with all of the negatives you've stated, I still may give it a shot in the future - now that you have greatly reduced the amount of time it will take to grind out the completion. I don't think I'd even consider it, if it was still in the region of 100hrs (with only the first 10-15 being fun ?) - amazing work!

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Just so you have an idea about my expertise in FPS-territory.. I needed to look up what the fuck that means 1f602.png

So sorry hahahaha. That did make me chuckle though! ??

18 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Is it weird that I enjoyed doing the Gauntlet more than I'm enjoying playing through the campaign? 1f605.png I'm having fun, don't get me wrong! But this genre definitely isn't one I'm comfortable with... Still, I'm glad to give it a try :) 

I don't really want to answer this question until you've wrapped it up - and posted your thoughts. As someone who has definitely played too many FPS games, I'm much more interested in hearing your take on the game, so I'm very conscious to keep my mouth shut on it, for the time being. I will say that the Gauntlet was the biggest draw for me as I love time trials. I'd say they're my favourite type of trophy. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2021 at 11:08 PM, Arcesius said:

Is it weird that I enjoyed doing the Gauntlet more than I'm enjoying playing through the campaign? 1f605.png I'm having fun, don't get me wrong! But this genre definitely isn't one I'm comfortable with... Still, I'm glad to give it a try :)

I also find it to be one of the best parts of the game as well. In the midst of the DDoS attacks, I'd sometimes boot up the game just to do the Gauntlet! ? I've probably already mentioned this a trillion times now, but it really does remind me of the Half-Life games where you could manipulate the physics to pull off crazy stunts; it's that, but personified in one intentional arena, I love it. It's also the best showcase for the gameplay as well, apart from the titans of course.

Also, well done with Rad! It's good to see you've alleviated the grind! Those things can take ages, and I can empathize having done some arduous grinds in the past too, well done! ?

On 23/09/2021 at 6:01 PM, KindaSabbath said:

As someone who has definitely played too many FPS games,

Seeing as you have a liking towards FPS games, I gotta ask; do you reckon you'll do MW1 and 2 remastered? They don't have any online trophies, just the campaigns.
I'm not proud to say this, but the missions Takedown and The Hornet's Nest on veteran difficulty were absolutely BRUTAL to me... ? I swear, the enemies have ultra instinct on veteran!!!!!!! You take one step forward and everybody within the entire solar system has their sights aimed at you with robotic precision, or at least that's what it felt like!
I've yet to play MW1 but I'm eager to see how the Mile High Club will be...

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Seeing as you have a liking towards FPS games, I gotta ask; do you reckon you'll do MW1 and 2 remastered? They don't have any online trophies, just the campaigns.
I'm not proud to say this, but the missions Takedown and The Hornet's Nest on veteran difficulty were absolutely BRUTAL to me... 1f605.png I swear, the enemies have ultra instinct on veteran!!!!!!! You take one step forward and everybody within the entire solar system has their sights aimed at you with robotic precision, or at least that's what it felt like!
I've yet to play MW1 but I'm eager to see how the Mile High Club will be...

I'll definitely get around to them at some point. Quite fancy the time trials in each game and Mile High Club on veteran. I'd like to complete most of the "difficult" shooters, that could be a cool little side project. Problem is, I don't think there is that many of them, is there? Atleast not that I'm aware of. Feel free to @ me with a response in my checklist, don't want to waffle on about myself too much in Arcs house ?

2 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

I'd like to complete most of the "difficult" shooters, that could be a cool little side project. Problem is, I don't think there is that many of them, is there? Atleast not that I'm aware of. 

Could I perhaps interest you in Black Ops 4 my dear sir?

I’m still looking for someone to play and complete the Blackout trophies with. ?

• Like 1

Man I've been holding this in for aaaaggeesss. Titanfall 2 - overrated as fuck.

Great gameplay, I will say that though... all I need really...

Remember I said the story in Vanquish was utter nonsense? Bear in mind it's still one of my favourite shooters - Well it's a better story than Titanfall 2, because you can skip it.

To be fair though, that's definitely a me problem. I play games in this genre mainly for the gameplay and rarely expect anything special in the story department. I do explain my gripes with Titanfall 2 in my write-up. There are many areas that I feel Titanfall 2 excells, however, definitely not the story - which is where I had heard this one was strong.

Great write-up though, as always! 

I wanted to message you and say use the Ronin loadout ? but then I thought to myself "He's definitely already using the Ronin loadout" 

Apologies - I hit submit reply on this one before I had finished typing. Which probably made my comment come across extremely harsh ?... it takes me an age to edit my posts. 

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Alright guys.. don't get mad with me. It's time for my Titanfall 2 review, and I tried to keep everything as fair as possible 1f605.png

Spoilers: I do believe that TF2 is a good game. It's just a game in a specific genre that doesn't appeal to me. I hope to clarify why in the review. 

You basically echoed my feelings about the game throughout your review.  Jack is fun to move, the modules are kinda interesting, the plot isn't terrible and obviously some effort was put in, but its just not my genre.  

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I don't think I'd pick up Titanfall 3 or anything similar.

Maybe if it was free on PS+ like Titanfall 2? Otherwise I'd probably agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I decided to play Trials of the Blood Dragon instead. I had been warned multiple times, and the game is indeed as bad as I was told. I have to get A+ on one more level and I'll be done with this garbage.

I'm still curious to read your review, even though "garbage" quite explicitly hints at the final verdict ? At least it didn't take you much time! I actually caved in and also got it recently, but time will tell whether I will actually play it or not ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

So yeah. Give me an FPS game with the movement of Titanfall 2 and the setting and topics touched upon by Bioshock and I'll play that without hesitation. Give me another military shooter and I'll tell you to go play it yourself 1f602.png

While I do play military shooters every now and then, what you wrote pretty much echoes what I feel about them. I really liked Titanfall 2 despite its plot, so I'd probably play a Titanfall 3. Don't think I'll add another CoD or Battlefield to my list, though.

Btw, I really enjoy your thread (and threads such as this).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Titanfall 2

L4e52ba.png

The Pitch

Promoted from a regular rifleman to a pilot due to the harshness of war, only the strong bond with your new Titan can help you finish the inherited mission of foiling interstellar domination.  

mOYKCCw.png

I reckon that was a really good assessment of Titanfall 2 from a non-FPS fan, mate.

I haven't played it yet - had it sitting in my download list since it's PS+ offering, and sometimes think about it, but haven't got around to it yet, and to be honest, a lot of the reason for that are a lot of the points you bring up about the genre in general. I think I come from a slightly different angle, in the sense that I was once very much an FPS shooter guy (the number of hours I sunk into the Timesplitters franchise on PS2 would likely give my Hitman hours a run for their money!) but I only ever had one foot in the 'military fetish' FPS genre.

Ive done a CoD and a Battlefield here and there, and enjoyed them, but the same issue you outline above - the lack of personal knowledge / fetishisation of gun types and military weaponry means I have a little more trouble with caring about that side of the genre.

Really, I need the strong narrative hook that an FPS Immersive Sim like Bioshock or Prey offers, or a more narrative-focussed FPS game like The Darkness or Syndicate where weaponry etc. is sci-fi and in-fiction to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Having said that - the fact that this was neither a blubbering, sycophantic love-fest of a write up, nor a condemnation and literary shitting-upon has actually made me potentially more interested in giving Titanfall 2 a go... so... thanks? :hmm::hmm:?

But seriously - great write up as usual, and congrats on what I hear is a pretty difficult platinum - (even if you rate it on the easy side) ?? 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Man I've been holding this in for aaaaggeesss. Titanfall 2 - overrated as fuck.

Great gameplay, I will say that though... all I need really...

Remember I said the story in Vanquish was utter nonsense? Bear in mind it's still one of my favourite shooters - Well it's a better story than Titanfall 2, because you can skip it.

To be fair though, that's definitely a me problem. I play games in this genre mainly for the gameplay and rarely expect anything special in the story department. I do explain my gripes with Titanfall 2 in my write-up. There are many areas that I feel Titanfall 2 excells, however, definitely not the story - which is where I had heard this one was strong.

Right! Well I can't really argue with the overrated argument, since I felt similarly. But I didn't want to use those words since they'd have come from someone that usually doesn't play these games, so I felt like it would be unfair. 

I could imagine that many think highly of TF2's story because, compared to what usually games in this genre have to offer in terms of plot is.. rather weak or even absent (excluding the Wolf games, as you guys have told me). I have no idea though, you are the better judge here :) 

But yeah, I would much rather play Mirror's Edge (which has similar kind of movement) and hot have to hear about all the intergalactic problems ?

20 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

I wanted to message you and say use the Ronin loadout 1f602.png but then I thought to myself "He's definitely already using the Ronin loadout" 

Hahaha, you know it! After I got this one, I only swaped to the others for a quick core-kill for the trophies... The Ronin was immediately my favorite loadout ?

20 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

You basically echoed my feelings about the game throughout your review.  Jack is fun to move, the modules are kinda interesting, the plot isn't terrible and obviously some effort was put in, but its just not my genre.  

Maybe if it was free on PS+ like Titanfall 2? Otherwise I'd probably agree.

Maybe. That's also why I played TF2 as my choice for an FPS, I would probably not have bought it otherwise. But yeah I agree, everything is kinda good, but nothing is outstanding (other than the movement). It's not the game's fault though, I wanted to be clear about that. It's personal (lack of) interest... 

19 hours ago, det_gittes said:

I'm still curious to read your review, even though "garbage" quite explicitly hints at the final verdict 1f602.png At least it didn't take you much time! I actually caved in and also got it recently, but time will tell whether I will actually play it or not ;) 

Haha I will try to write a proper review instead of simply posting this: ? 

Will hopefully get to it in the next couple of days :) I wouldn't hurry though.. Or, you know.. you could get it over with and then get back to the actually amazing Trials games to clean the sour taste left in your mouth ?

17 hours ago, Iker_01 said:

While I do play military shooters every now and then, what you wrote pretty much echoes what I feel about them. I really liked Titanfall 2 despite its plot, so I'd probably play a Titanfall 3. Don't think I'll add another CoD or Battlefield to my list, though.

Btw, I really enjoy your thread (and threads such as this).

Yeah I can imagine that for someone that enjoys the genre for its gameplay, TF2 must feel amazing to play thanks to the really well implemented movement. Hell, I'd be lying if I wrote that I didn't enjoy the game! That's not at all the case. 

But yeah, usually with games that have some sort of plot, I have some kind of expectations... That were not met here :) 

Also, thanks for the nice words! Appreciate it :)  

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ive done a CoD and a Battlefield here and there, and enjoyed them, but the same issue you outline above - the lack of personal knowledge / fetishisation of gun types and military weaponry means I have a little more trouble with caring about that side of the genre.

Really, I need the strong narrative hook that an FPS Immersive Sim like Bioshock or Prey offers, or a more narrative-focussed FPS game like The Darkness or Syndicate where weaponry etc. is sci-fi and in-fiction to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Exactly how I feel as well. And it's weird to me as well, since most of the games I play have absolutely no need for a plot and are 100% gameplay based... 

BUT, when a game comes along that actually tries to tell a story.. I kinda start caring about that aspect of the game as well. Only that in this case I couldn't really care, and this led to an overall worse experience. 

I mentioned Mirror's Edge above... The plot in that game is a bit shit as well. But at least the story-bits don't include terminology and topics that are as alien to me as what Titanfall 2 deals with. That in turns resulted in me not wanting to skip the story necessarily, since I still enjoyed following along. In TF2, I started to get bored with every cutscene / moment of story progression. 

I'm not sure if that makes sense ? but it really is how I feel about all this. 

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Having said that - the fact that this was neither a blubbering, sycophantic love-fest of a write up, nor a condemnation and literary shitting-upon has actually made me potentially more interested in giving Titanfall 2 a go... so... thanks? :hmm::hmm:1f602.png

But seriously - great write up as usual, and congrats on what I hear is a pretty difficult platinum - (even if you rate it on the easy side) 1f44d.png1f64c.png 

Haha, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :) At least your comment also shows that I managed to bring my point and feelings accross... I think TF2 is a good game, but I'm indifferent about it ?

As for the difficulty... any post you read about it will state that the plat is only difficult because of the Gauntlet. Even the guide-writer here on PSNP stated that if he were to rate the difficulty based on that trophy alone, he would put the game at a8-9/10, which I find is ridiculous. So when you hear that this is a pretty difficult platinum... this mostly refers to the Gauntlet... And that was not too much trouble, surprisingly ?

• Like 3

Awesome review on TF2! (Not Team Fortress 2, the other TF2 ?)

I can see why you're not a fan of the story, it does indeed follow the same military tropes as other FPS games, and I definitely get the personal bond with BT being lost due to the reasons you mentioned. Crazy that the game came out nearly a half-decade ago at this point!
All that matters is that you like the Gauntlet; you're a man of culture if you can appreciate that. ? I actually would love some kind of platformer spinoff where they use these controls; the double jumping, the wall running, that'd be so awesome.

Good luck with Sine Mora EX, by the way! It's awesome to see you start that, best of luck man! It'll also be a nice change of pace after Trials of the Blood Dragon, which seems to be the sore thumb of the series! ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Right! Well I can't really argue with the overrated argument, since I felt similarly. But I didn't want to use those words since they'd have come from someone that usually doesn't play these games, so I felt like it would be unfair.

I probably should of specified - Overrated is purely how I feel about the story - In my opinion, it's generic and bland. It's hard to not feel like the overall challenge of the game is overrated, too, which is difficult to talk about because difficulty is so subjective and I wouldn't want to disrespect those that had trouble with the Gauntlet or the AI on Master. Maybe a better word for TF2 would just be underwhelming. That said - you handled it excellently in your review and were able to say all of the above very tastefully. 

I could imagine that many think highly of TF2's story because, compared to what usually games in this genre have to offer in terms of plot is.. rather weak or even absent (excluding the Wolf games, as you guys have told me). I have no idea though, you are the better judge here :) 

In my opinion - Wolfenstein is the gold standard when it comes to single player shooters. Which shows it can be done! But then again, there's no focus on multiplayer at all in these games, unlike 90% of games in the genre.

Hahaha, you know it! After I got this one, I only swaped to the others for a quick core-kill for the trophies... The Ronin was immediately my favorite loadout 1f602.png

Would love to see some gameplay of you going balls to the wall in the Ronin loadout!

I would much rather play Mirror's Edge (which has similar kind of movement) and hot have to hear about all the intergalactic problems 1f605.png

I haven't played a Mirrors Edge game but honestly, this is the big issue for me with TF2 - you have to endure "all the intergalactic problems" - which if you don't care for them (which I did not), it just breaks any hope of immersion. Shame because the gameplay is a whole lot of fun!

20 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Even the guide-writer here on PSNP stated that if he were to rate the difficulty based on that trophy alone, he would put the game at a8-9/10

That is ridiculous. Even Vanquish is not a 9/10... Tactical Challenge 6 requires a whole lot more than the 33 seconds of moving quick with decent aim, than that of the Gauntlet. Subjective I guess, but still, it is no where near a 9.

20 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Haha I will try to write a proper review instead of simply posting this: 1f4a9.png 

??? - I'm so looking forward to this one! Hope you're having a blast with Sine Mora dude!

• Like 1

With regards to Titanfall 2, I think it's a decent challenge to beat the required time. Not sure how long you spent on the become the master trophy but it took me just shy off 2 hours. I almost had it after 1.5 hours but I missed a target :(. It's definitely not the 'hardest' game in it's genre but to say it's easy I feel is misleading. I know some good trophy hunters on my friend's list who struggled with this challenge who aren't bad at the genre by any means.

Congrats with the platinum trophy though, I enjoyed my time with Titanfall 2 but I'm the opposite to you, I'd rather play T2 than Mirror's Edge. 

• Like 2

I have to agree with you and Sabbath about the overrated nature of Titanfall 2.  The main draw is that it’s a AAA produced linear shooter with no microtransactions or other CODness that you just don’t see.  So of course it sold like shit and we’ll never get a sequel.

You don’t sound opposed to the mechanics of the genre, but rather the tone and setting of this story.  Have you considered the Metro 2033 series of games?  Linear, narrative driven FPS games with no “hoo-rah” military setting.  Just the end of the world :)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

You don’t sound opposed to the mechanics of the genre, but rather the tone and setting of this story.  Have you considered the Metro 2033 series of games?  Linear, narrative driven FPS games with no “hoo-rah” military setting.  Just the end of the world

I second this one - great shout man!

... Whilst they're a little lacking in their FPS mechanics (they might seem a bit unrefined and clunky compared to Titanfall,) they more than make up for that with the atmosphere and all round tone and aesthetic, so as DrunkenEngineer said these might appeal to you too.

• Like 2

Agreed with you Arc that the military-type aspects a lot of FPS use are a bit of a turnoff for me too! Hence why I haven't played COD as much in recent times.

Have you ever looked into the Fallout series? They had a few good ones and it's more of an interesting post-apocalyptic setting. More of a huge open world theme tho, so not sure how that would sit with you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Have you considered the Metro 2033 series of games?  Linear, narrative driven FPS games with no “hoo-rah” military setting.  Just the end of the world :)

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I second this one - great shout man!

... Whilst they're a little lacking in their FPS mechanics (they might seem a bit unrefined and clunky compared to Titanfall,) they more than make up for that with the atmosphere and all round tone and aesthetic, so as DrunkenEngineer said these might appeal to you too.

Thirded!

I love the Metro games - every one has a great story, oodles of atmosphere, and more interconnected survival systems than you can shake a stick at!

Also, genuinely one of the few series I can think of, that gets better with every subsequent game, yet never loses the core tenants that made the first one great!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Oh man, I played the shit out of the first Mirror's Edge on the X360... Such a fantastic game. It has a little bit of gunplay here and there, but the main focus is moving like a parcour-badass, be it jumping from highscraper to highscraper, or finding a fast route through confined, narrow spaces... It's a great concept, and very well implemented. 

The best thing? It's full of time attacks of course... something that I know we both enjoy 1f601.png

Unfortunately it's only available on PS3, otherwise it'd be on my profile for sure. but I might pick up the sequel at some point :) Cannot comment on the quality of that one though, haven't played it so hopefully it doesn't disappoint if I end up picking it up! 

Ahh, shame there's no PS4 remaster! There's certainly enough games that have one... I will check out the sequel! Sounds awesome! 

As for Sine Mora, glad you're enjoying it after that abomination of a game that you've just finished ?

Looking forward to updates regarding this one, though. I have my eye on it as a potential for Tier 2 in UR Clean Up. I don't think I've played anything like it in some time after looking at the gameplay. I've been feeling something fast paced with lots of carnage ?

I'm sure like many games before it - you will body this one in no time!

Edited by KindaSabbath

Yikes, sounds like Trials of the Blood Dragon should be avoided like the COVID plague... If I ever decide to jump into this series, I am definitely going to avoid this one! 

Ah well, now that you conquered that shitty game, you can focus on something actually fun!! Excellent write up man, even if the game was straight garbage ?

• Like 2

So… I know nothing of Trials as a series, but I think I get it…

…If I understand correctly, the difference between a regular Trials game, and Trials of the Blood Dragon is about the same as the difference between a delicious Full English Breakfast… and throwing up in England. ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3