Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

I think my wallet is safe too. Lucky me, I feel like you've done us all a great service by illustrating exactly why we should ignore this one!

However, as I expected, that was a thoroughly awesome read, so there are upsides.

I do feel your pain on this one somewhat - I also went into a game recently knowing full well I'd be playing a bad game - despite being fond of the series it came from, and purely wanting to have all of the games in that series completed on my profile. Is it ever that worth it though? :facepalm:.....

.... I'm guessing that review was at least quite a cathartic one to write down though - even if thinking about the game again probably made you want to use your keyboard/phone as a really expensive Frisbee! ?

• Like 2

Congrats for surviving through the Trials of the Crap Dragon there xD My experience with Trials is limited to the Miniclip sites (where there were 20 levels only), but damn I've seen some footage of this game and...whew I wouldn't like playing that!

Your writing on the game has been mad entertaining though :D So...I am both "sorry" and "thank you" for playing that game?

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Baker said:

I’m going to look for another ‘I told you so’ meme. I’ll be back tomorrow.

I’m back.

r7AdEu9.jpg

As promised.

vWkAE0N.gif

I’ll be back next year at the one year anniversary. 

• Like 3

Congrats for Sm Ex, this is probably the only shoot them up I really like too (at least with a good plot so far... Or just a plot to begin with). 

Do you plan to try Sine Mora Vita or Ps3? Those two a faaaaaaaaar more difficult than Ex, if I remember well you have to do the whole arcade in hard mode (challenging mode doesn't exist here) + 1cc but the worst part tied to complete this setting using only the primary weapon (capsule and subweapon not allowed), what a sweet nightmare in my memory ?. 

• Like 1

Well done Arc! I feel like you knocked this one out of the park pretty quickly, considering how beastly of a challenge this appears to be. I will certainly keep this high up on the list when I am in the mood for some shmup punishment ? Brilliant write-up as always, might I add! 

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

And so, I think I will just jump into SMBF 1f62c.png That would be the second "game I'm scared to start" in a pretty short time... But hey, why wait! 

Ooooooooh boy, I'm very excited to hear your take on this one too! It's so much fun, despite the deathless runs being such an extreme challenge. It just feels 100x harder to get a good streak going, as compared to SMB. But you are no stranger to challenge, so I'm sure you will emerge on top victorious ? My guide is about 1/2 way complete at this point, but of course I'm always glad to give you advice if you need it. Feel free to PM me if so!

I think it's a shame more people haven't played this yet. I can only assume they may be turned off by the auto-runner style, much like I was before I took the initial plunge! It's such a well made game and the extremely precise controls the franchise is known for are definitely back. Just reading your take on how bad Trials of the Blood Dragon's platforming sections are made me appreciate this that much more! Esp the way you described the arc of your jumps and such being dismal with that one. Not at all the case here!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, escarodasoul said:

Do you plan to try Sine Mora Vita or Ps3? Those two a faaaaaaaaar more difficult than Ex, if I remember well you have to do the whole arcade in hard mode (challenging mode doesn't exist here) + 1cc but the worst part tied to complete this setting using only the primary weapon (capsule and subweapon not allowed), what a sweet nightmare in my memory 1f62c.png

I don't own either of those consoles, so only Sine Mora EX for me :) But yeah, I'm aware that those versions are harder. Not only does Arcade Primary Only have to be done on Hard, there are more challenges to complete and some of them seem to be a giant pain in the ass ?

But yeah, since I needed to do Score Attack on Hard, I can kinda gauge how difficult a Primary Only run on Arcade must be... definitely no joke! But the game is fun enough that I think I would enjoy the challenge :)  

17 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Well done Arc! I feel like you knocked this one out of the park pretty quickly, considering how beastly of a challenge this appears to be. I will certainly keep this high up on the list when I am in the mood for some shmup punishment 1f606.png Brilliant write-up as always, might I add! 

So, the fastest you can do this game is 24 hours, since one of the promotions has the requirement that you need to play the game for at least that long. The 100% estimate from the guide was 25-50 hours, and I finished at pretty much 30 hours exactly. For being my first Shmup, I'm really glad to be on the lower side of the estimate! :D 

17 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Ooooooooh boy, I'm very excited to hear your take on this one too! It's so much fun, despite the deathless runs being such an extreme challenge. It just feels 100x harder to get a good streak going, as compared to SMB. But you are no stranger to challenge, so I'm sure you will emerge on top victorious 1f4aa.png My guide is about 1/2 way complete at this point, but of course I'm always glad to give you advice if you need it. Feel free to PM me if so!

I think it's a shame more people haven't played this yet. I can only assume they may be turned off by the auto-runner style, much like I was before I took the initial plunge! It's such a well made game and the extremely precise controls the franchise is known for are definitely back. Just reading your take on how bad Trials of the Blood Dragon's platforming sections are made me appreciate this that much more! Esp the way you described the arc of your jumps and such being dismal with that one. Not at all the case here!

For sure... I guess one could think "it's only 6 levels.. should be doable", but then each level is so much longer than in SMB... so even if you can quit to map, you need to redo a much longer chunk each time you retry, which in turns gives you more options to screw up before even getting to the part you resetted for. 

That being said, your updates and positive impression when it comes to this game definitely has me more excited to finally get to it than a couple of weeks ago. I was indeed one of those people that were sceptical of the auto-runner nature of the game, but I will just approach this game as its own game, instead of expecting a sequel to SMB :) I hope to enjoy it as much as you! 

And definitely looking forward to the guide... The most important thing I've taken from your updates in regards to progression is that I should be doing the no-death runs before even starting NG+ to avoid harder chunks... But otherwise I just thought of playing through the game casually, and then start going for the light-world no-death runs (which should automatically unlock the dark-world variants, I guess?) and then go for those. 

Anything else to look out for while progressing through the game? :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

So, the fastest you can do this game is 24 hours, since one of the promotions has the requirement that you need to play the game for at least that long. The 100% estimate from the guide was 25-50 hours, and I finished at pretty much 30 hours exactly. For being my first Shmup, I'm really glad to be on the lower side of the estimate! :D 

Sounds like you were kicking ass and taking names, that sounds like a pretty solid amount of time to finish, given the setup! Well played my dude ?

For sure... I guess one could think "it's only 6 levels.. should be doable", but then each level is so much longer than in SMB... so even if you can quit to map, you need to redo a much longer chunk each time you retry, which in turns gives you more options to screw up before even getting to the part you resetted for. 

Funny you mention this, because this had definitely screwed me over once or twice, having to go through the same sections and then botching it on the 2nd attempt ? I guess that's the name of the Meat Boy game tho! It is not for the faint of heart, that's for damn sure ?

And definitely looking forward to the guide... The most important thing I've taken from your updates in regards to progression is that I should be doing the no-death runs before even starting NG+ to avoid harder chunks... But otherwise I just thought of playing through the game casually, and then start going for the light-world no-death runs (which should automatically unlock the dark-world variants, I guess?) and then go for those. 

Anything else to look out for while progressing through the game? :) 

Thanks my man, I will be cracking away at it again today. It will just be missing 2 or 3 videos from my estimation, until I can finish this run then get the last 2 character unlock videos I want. But I know how to get them, so all the info will be there at least in text form ?

I did pretty much the same you are suggesting, just play through casually initially to get a feel for the speed, jump arcs, dash distance, etc. IIRC, I didn't start the deathless runs til I had all the Light World levels unlocked at least. 

As for what to keep your eye out for, try to get all the pacifiers and warp zones you find (30 pacifiers total on your initial run, +5 warp zones, 1 on each of the first 5 worlds). Those are both tied to character unlocks, so it's best to get them out of the way if you can. Plus it gives you different characters to play with... Best I can tell, they are all just cosmetic anyway, but still better than using Meat Boy or Bandage Girl the whole time! You can always double back later tho, some of those pacifiers are tricky to grab anyway. 

Once you complete a level, back at the World Map menu you can see an icon next to the level name, indicating if you may have missed a pacifier there. The warp zones are pretty obvious, but sometimes tricky to find. The screen and sound start glitching out if you're close. All my warp zones were on the Light World levels, but I think others have mentioned sometimes they are in Dark World.

This post is very helpful to tell you what requirements are needed for the character unlocks:

But yeah, to unlock Dark World variants, you need to beat the par time for each level, then complete a deathless run to "S" Rank. Can be done on separate runs, although usually getting the deathless run also nets you the par time, in my experience! So yes, essentially going for the Light World deathless runs will get you there. Good luck and very much intrigued to hear your thoughts once you start it up!

• Like 1

Is it just me or is the spoiler tag not working? I’m interested in watching that documentary.

Since I learned the speedrun trophy in The End is Nigh can be save scummed (right?) I’ve put the game in my wishlist.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baker said:

Is it just me or is the spoiler tag not working? I’m interested in watching that documentary.

Since I learned the speedrun trophy in The End is Nigh can be save scummed (right?) I’ve put the game in my wishlist.

Damn, I even checked the spoiler tag after publishing the post, but it stopped working. 

Well, it's my thread anyways so I can video-spam all I want :P Removed the spoiler-tag, there you go! 

And man, happy to hear that you might play this one! ? You can save-scum the speedrun, there are plenty of other, more fun challenges to do :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Why am I mentioning all of this? Well.. because after teasing the sequel to Super Meat Boy, and after a while with no updates and no information on the game, Edmund left Team Meat. He had absolutely nothing to do with Super Meat Boy Forever, and so I was really unsure about the game. Would it live up to the expectations of SMB fans? 

Now, all of my doubts were further intensified by the information that followed... Super Meat Boy Forever would be a mobile game! An auto-runner with simple controls. Later down the line, the game was re-branded as a console and PC game, but it would still be an auto runner. Eeeehm... Sorry what? 1f615.png

Initial and final gameplay footage didn't sit well with me either... The game looks gorgeous, sure, but it doesn't seem to flow very well. Hitting enemies results in small pauses that break the smooth movement. Paths don't seem to be all too clear, and even look non-intuitive and confusing. The game uses seeds.. That is, there are 7'200 hand-designed "chunks", and each level is a sequence of chunks which is determined by the seed of the save file.... 

This all sounded way too weird. But hey, prove me wrong, game! :shakefist:

And so far, it definitely did 1f633.png I would even dare to say that Team Meat (or well, what's left of it) really managed to put together a super fun game that, due to the vastly different nature of the core gameplay, can stand on its own feet as a great game without having to live up to any kind of expectations. Comparing the levels generated on my seed with what other players got has been very fun, too! I re-watched the first two deathless runs by @Joe Dubz after getting them myself, and the levels are vastly different! What I enjoy about this is that I cannot watch other people's videos and learn how to beat sections, but instead have to find my own ways through the stages (and find my own skips / shortcuts!). I love it, since it feels like every runner / player is just on their own and at the mercy of the generated seed 1f605.png

I am quite happy to hear that you felt similar to me; initial impressions were not very high, but after playing the game it sounds like you are having a ton of fun with it too! I really cannot stress enough how much I agree with your thought process coming into the game. Team Meat really did manage to pull something fun and unique off here! The original Super Meat Boy to me had such charm IMO; just a fun, vibrant world with an interesting cast of characters, tons of throwbacks to fun games from days yonder... I feel like Team Meat still managed to hit all those notes, despite Edmund jumping ship!

I must say I am very much interested to check out the video you shared. Already having been a huge fan of TBoI myself before I jumped into the Meat Boy universe, I'm very intrigued to see what that dude is all about! I may have to tag along with @Baker here and give The End is Nigh a shot too. Although with that being said, after this beast of a game I really feel like I need a break from all the bone-crushing fun for a while and play stuff a lil more easy breezy ? I was really hoping to reach Tier 5 on the challenge, so I think I'll stick with what I have on my current tier, at least in the short term! 

I have played SMBF for roughly 7 hours now. In that time, I beat all Light Worlds (including the 5 bosses) and all Warp-Zones that were available to me, and collected all possible Pacifiers. Since the levels are random... where you find those things is random as well. In my seed, I only found 2/5 Warp Zones in the Light Worlds, the remaining 3 will be in the Dark Worlds. 

To unlock the Dark World Levels, you have to S-rank the Light World variants. That is achieved by fulfilling two requirements: 

• Beat the Level without dying. 
  • Beat the Level in under a given time. 

So, after beating all Light Worlds, I went back to the first one and proceeded to S-rank all levels. I then did my deathless run of the entire world. I repeated that process with World 2, and currently got all S-ranks in World 3 as well, but haven't yet had the time to do a deathless run (hopefully tonight). 

I was actually creeping on your profile last night & I am pretty impressed with how quickly you are progressing, Arc! I'm also very much curious to check out your videos to see how different the seeds look. I haven't had a chance to just yet but am planning to do so soon ?

I have footage of my first two deathless runs on my YT channel, but they are not too intersting since the levels are not too difficult yet 1f605.png If you want to see some crazy stuff, I'd recommend watching @Joe Dubz's videos instead 1f605.png 

(Btw... huge congrats on getting your last deathless run earlier today! Your #200 milestone is approaching! I watched the Death Heat Girl run already and holy shit.. if that's what waiting for me then I'm in for one hell of a time 1f602.png)

Woooo boy, I have finally reached the peak of the mountain! I must say it feels really good to have all that behind me ?? I know those levels were pretty rough, but in all honesty I still think The Clinic DW & to an even lesser degree The Lab DW may have been slightly harder? I dunno if it's just that my skills are sharpened enough that the last one just didn't feel as rough or what, but even playing through The Other Side levels initially I thought to myself: "I feel like I can knock these out pretty quickly"! Once it clicked, it just clicked yano?!

Anyway, I appreciate your kind words man, thank you for helping to keep me motivated here through the journey. Loving your review so far, brilliant writing as usual (you really have a way with words, my dude ?), and very much looking forward to your future updates and eventual milestone victory!! Cheers mate!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

I am quite happy to hear that you felt similar to me; initial impressions were not very high, but after playing the game it sounds like you are having a ton of fun with it too! I really cannot stress enough how much I agree with your thought process coming into the game. Team Meat really did manage to pull something fun and unique off here! The original Super Meat Boy to me had such charm IMO; just a fun, vibrant world with an interesting cast of characters, tons of throwbacks to fun games from days yonder... I feel like Team Meat still managed to hit all those notes, despite Edmund jumping ship!

Yeah, absolutely! I am having a lot of fun with the game so fur. I'm a sucker for time-attacks, and since the levels are longer than in SMB, going for S-ranks really is a lot of fun. Trying to find shortcuts or time-saves... 

The design choices really make this game feel like it's its own game, not simply a copy or sequel to SMB. I enjoy that. I think without Edmunds influence, a regular platformer would probably have been a bit of a disappointment. 

18 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

I must say I am very much interested to check out the video you shared. Already having been a huge fan of TBoI myself before I jumped into the Meat Boy universe, I'm very intrigued to see what that dude is all about! I may have to tag along with @Baker here and give The End is Nigh a shot too. Although with that being said, after this beast of a game I really feel like I need a break from all the bone-crushing fun for a while and play stuff a lil more easy breezy 1f605.png I was really hoping to reach Tier 5 on the challenge, so I think I'll stick with what I have on my current tier, at least in the short term! 

I mean... I won't ever get tired of stating how much I love The End is Nigh. From the gameplay, to the topics and atmosphere, to the challenge it offers... To it just going on and on and on... It's just a fantastic game that Edmund himself says (in the vid) is one of his best games. I agree! 

The platinum is easier than that of SMB, but it's one of his harder games to play casually. Still, very happy to hear that you might get to it eventually! :) The game needs more players! 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, Arcesius said:

That's right. A couple of days ago, soon after finishing Sine Mora EX, I fired up the sequel to Super Meat Boy. A game I had been waiting for a looong time, one that got delayed multiple times.. and one that - judging by gameplay footage - doesn't necessarily look as fun as the first game. Now that I have indeed played the game myself, I think it's time for a short introduction to the game that will probably keep me entertained for a long while to come, and for some initial thoughts and impressions.

I have footage of my first two deathless runs on my YT channel, but they are not too intersting since the levels are not too difficult yet 1f605.png If you want to see some crazy stuff, I'd recommend watching @Joe Dubz's videos instead 1f605.png 

(Btw... huge congrats on getting your last deathless run earlier today! Your #200 milestone is approaching! I watched the Death Heat Girl run already and holy shit.. if that's what waiting for me then I'm in for one hell of a time 1f602.png)

My plan is to finish the deathless runs and S-ranks in all Light Worlds and then start clearing the Dark Worlds. There is where the difficulty goes up tremendously. 

Since it's going to be a while before I finish my next game, I will come back and write about the gameplay in SMBF in another post. I will also write the second episode of my Mini-Series, featuring the "Most Difficult Games I've Completed"! :)  

I saw you start this up the other day & glad that you're going to make this one your milestone so I'm really looking forward to your updates on the game. I've been watching @Joe Dubz videos on this & it looks absolutely insane with what you have to do so I'm sure this one will be a very worthy milestone for you. I hope you have fun with it & I'm sure everything you post will be a great read for everyone. It looks like @Joe Dubz will make a great guide for this game as well & your experience on it will most likely help towards that too. I can't wait for what's to come here soon! It's going to be great!

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

Hey, thanks for sharing the McMillen clip, I hadn't come across it and he sure throws in some interesting context about some of his games. Definitely one of the best game creators/devs out there, although the bloke has done some seriously crazy stuff ? I still have to try The End is Nigh out, everything I've read around is so positive and it's been quite a lot since my last tough-as-nails platformer. Maybe after Splasher…

On the other side, glad to see you've finally decided to start SMBF and that you're enjoying it. I think almost all of us can relate to that feeling of being both surprised and relieved about liking the game, it's true that the concept looked anything but appealing, but the people at Team Meat have done a great job preserving the Meat Boy flavour in this game. I wouldn't know how to express it better, but it does feel like a Meat Boy game. And it is tons of fun!

And I have to agree about coming up with your own strats being one of the most fun parts of the experience, it's so rewarding to come up with shortcuts, consistent strats and stuff rather than looking them up, although I miss the sense of community a little bit. So good luck especially with the dark world! I still have to tackle those, I left the game on hold since I didn't have much time at the moment and the dark world sure requires a bunch of hours each, but it'll be retaken eventually. I watched your runs and aside from some particular chunks they're absolutely different, so I'll leave my runs around in case you struggle with some bit in particular (which I doubt) and you find it there (which I doubt as well), but yeah, not much we can do to help each other.

• Like 1

Dude I don't know how much of it you've seen, and if you're interested anyway then that's all to the good, but I played Darksiders Genesis because I'm following Airship Syndicate and I thought the game sucked. Out of the 52 games on this account it was easily the worst. I don't like Darksiders at all but I figured since it's an isometric RPG it would be fine, but it's boring and tedious to play through. Maybe in co-op it would be better but I can almost guarantee that if it's not for the sake of the Darksiders IP, you can find a significantly better co-op game to play with Mori. 

I know you didn't ask for my opinion lol but in good faith I can't see someone consider DG and not give my take on the experience

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

I still have to try The End is Nigh out, everything I've read around is so positive and it's been quite a lot since my last tough-as-nails platformer. Maybe after Splasher…

Oh man, both games should have more owners! Splasher was also a lot of fun, even though the platforming in that game is relatively easy. The difficulty comes from the tight AF times, the long speedruns (73 minutes speedrun without allowing for too many mistakes? Ffs...) and the 45 minute deathless run. In The End is Nigh, while there are two challenges that are difficult (Tower of Ascension and all rings in the Super Mega Cart), the game itself is just more challenging than your regular platformer even for a casual playthrough. It's just genious, I hope you'll enjoy it! :)  

On the other side, glad to see you've finally decided to start SMBF and that you're enjoying it. I think almost all of us can relate to that feeling of being both surprised and relieved about liking the game, it's true that the concept looked anything but appealing, but the people at Team Meat have done a great job preserving the Meat Boy flavour in this game. I wouldn't know how to express it better, but it does feel like a Meat Boy game. And it is tons of fun!

It absolutely does, and that despite of the absence of typical hazards from the original game.. And it has so many different mechanics, it's crazy! I'm actually surprised by the variety in gameplay... You know, you'd think that an auto-runner simply consists of jumping and sliding, but here you have all that crazy stuff happening, it keeps the game really fresh and fun, but as you say, it still feels like a SMB game :) I have one deathless run left in the Light Worlds (excluding OxDEADBEEF) before I move to the Dark Worlds... Looking forward to the crazyness! 

And I have to agree about coming up with your own strats being one of the most fun parts of the experience, it's so rewarding to come up with shortcuts, consistent strats and stuff rather than looking them up, although I miss the sense of community a little bit. So good luck especially with the dark world! I still have to tackle those, I left the game on hold since I didn't have much time at the moment and the dark world sure requires a bunch of hours each, but it'll be retaken eventually. I watched your runs and aside from some particular chunks they're absolutely different, so I'll leave my runs around in case you struggle with some bit in particular (which I doubt) and you find it there (which I doubt as well), but yeah, not much we can do to help each other.

For sure, the sense of community is... not there. Then again, the game counts ~450 owners on PSNP, so even with fixed levels I feel like this game would not generate as much attention here as the original did (and still does). Then again, I played the first game before even joining PSNP, so I was on my own then, too (even though I later shared my own tipps for Impossible Boy after joining this site). 

And yeah... finding a specific level chunk in another player's video ain't an easy task! ? But thanks for the vids, it will at least be interesting to see the differences between our stages :) 

18 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Dude I don't know how much of it you've seen, and if you're interested anyway then that's all to the good, but I played Darksiders Genesis because I'm following Airship Syndicate and I thought the game sucked. Out of the 52 games on this account it was easily the worst. I don't like Darksiders at all but I figured since it's an isometric RPG it would be fine, but it's boring and tedious to play through. Maybe in co-op it would be better but I can almost guarantee that if it's not for the sake of the Darksiders IP, you can find a significantly better co-op game to play with Mori. 

I know you didn't ask for my opinion lol but in good faith I can't see someone consider DG and not give my take on the experience

Haha your opinion is still welcome! :D 

I knew that the game is usually considered mediocre at best, but "the worst in this list of 52 games" is a statement alright ?

But yes, even though I only have Darksiders III on my account, I played (and loved) the first two Darksiders games on the X360... So you could say that part of why I want to play this game is for the sake of the IP... and hopefully playing through it in coop will make for a fun time :) 

Oh well, we both bought this game for cheap, and we have a couple of other coop games in the pipeline that will certainly be better... But thanks for the heads up! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats for the Descenders accomplishment xD That game looks mad fun (and punishing too)

Now I saw something that interested me:

9 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Sf117d5.png - Code Vein

Almost there! After three full playthroughs, the only thing left to do is to grind 400 Marks of Honor. The guide states that the quickest method is to run a specific depths map in coop, which should still be a 10 hour grind. 

But... that's not true. And luckily we figured this out before starting to grind. Turns out that there is a much quicker method: The Tower of Trials. While running the Depths map after finishing the game is a braindead grind, it still takes 5-6 minutes for measly 3-5 marks (depending on the map you run)... In comparison, the Tower of Trials takes a bit more effort to beat (meaning you need a good build and a good understanding of the game's mechanics), but can also be completed in 5 minutes. The best part... You are guaranteed to earn 10 Marks of Honor, and can earn up to 16 if you are lucky! So at the worst you are looking at 40 runs through the tower, which should take roughly 4 hours (with loading times). That's less than half the time for the method suggested in the gide! 

I had a good grinding session yesterday evening with @Baker and am currently at 300/400 marks. One more hour to go and this game should be done :) 

As a person who grinded Proof of Concord Kept / Sunlight Medals / Wolf Grass / whatever dumb stuff that I needed for Covenant +3 to the point where even Umbasa wasn't helping, hearing about the grind in Code Vein really bummed me out, especially since I really want to give this game a go. BUT since it seems you found a quick method, it means there's a chance I won't shoot myself while going after those anime medals when I will start the game :D that's good news for me xD

Also damn, if SMB was a nightmare for me, SMBF is a Random Nightmare. Best of luck, thoughts and prayers, you can do it for sure!

( I know of few game examples where that function applies and damn it's not fun at all ?)

• Like 2