Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Well, it looks like I won't be getting a new game completed any time soon... I'm actively playing three games at the moment, making slow progress in all of them. And a fourth game is likely to be started soon as well. 

I'm in this exact same situation lol I only get an hour or two a night to play, and I have four 'active' games I'm trying to juggle...not sure I want to do this again :) I am really enjoying all of them (well not MLB The Show 19 so much anymore) and having a real hard time picking which one to play. When I'm playing one, I'm thinking about the other. I feel like I need to just focus on Alice since that is the shortest one to clean up my active game list. I started Path of Exile, which if you closed your eyes, you would think you're playing Diablo. It's actually a lot of fun if not completely overwhelming with how expansive the skill tree is.

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

P.S. @Briste, we just haven't found the time to play on weekends so far, otherwise I would have asked you if you have time to join.. Haven't forgotten about that! :) 

No worries :) if it works out it works out, if not maybe something else will sync up. Time zones won't make this easy for us lol

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, Copanele said:

Oh dear someone else knows about Eitr!!! God I am waiting for that game for too long ( and they keep releasing small bits and pieces of information but nothing concrete. Still losing it every time I am hearing that "theme"they released). The moment it hits the shelves I am getting it, as long as it doesn't cost $60 or something similar.

Oh I get you... I have been waiting for this one as well, but with Devolver Digital publishing it I'm sure it will be great once it's ready! And I prefer to wait for something amazing than having another broken game at launch... 

But yeah, they have been pretty silent.. I kinda decided a while back that it's not worth fishing for information. It will hopefully be out some day, and I will get it for sure :) 

Anyway, I also preordered Death Gambit and played it day 1...what a mess it was, literally made me throw the controller with all the crap it had. But now that it's fixed I guess it's playable? Heard they will release a massive DLC with some improvements and areas. Curious how your playthrough will go the more you advance in the game.

Hmm, that it's getting DLC is news to me... Maybe I should have waited then before starting the game ? 

But yeah, from what I've played thus far it seems to run smoothly... Haven't encountered any glitches yet, and the game controls pretty great! The bosses I've fought so far were quite varied, the artstyle is great, I really like the voice acting... Really good first impression! I hope you will give it another chance at some point! 

23 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm in this exact same situation lol I only get an hour or two a night to play, and I have four 'active' games I'm trying to juggle...not sure I want to do this again :) I am really enjoying all of them (well not MLB The Show 19 so much anymore) and having a real hard time picking which one to play. When I'm playing one, I'm thinking about the other. I feel like I need to just focus on Alice since that is the shortest one to clean up my active game list. I started Path of Exile, which if you closed your eyes, you would think you're playing Diablo. It's actually a lot of fun if not completely overwhelming with how expansive the skill tree is.

Right... Yeah it's currently the same for me, I also don't have much time atm, which is why I want to get a bit further in NecroDancer before I start a fourth game... But the temptation is there! ? 

I had a look at Path of Exile and it really looks indeed very similar to Diablo III. And it is UR... ?

I see that you have played DD a bit more... Have you given up on getting Zombie Boy done for the moment? :) 

Well, it didn't take long. When I got home from work yesterday I had around half an hour to spare... That was apparently enough to clear Melody! Beat her unique boss, a second version of The NecroDancer himself, the first time I got to him. She was really fun to play! 

Next up will be Cadence's uncle, Eli... He doesn't have a traditional weapon like the other characters do, but instead an infinite stock of bombs that he can kick towards the enemies. Yet another very unique character to play. It should be fun! ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 4:49 AM, Arcesius said:

Backlog

Hide contents
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer
  • Diablo III
  • Death's Gambit

• The End is Nigh
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Phantom Trigger
  • Trials Fusion
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Alienation
  • Superhot VR

• The Binding of Isaac
  • Lumo
  • Nex Machina
  • Pier Solar and the Great Architects
  • Final Fantasy VIII - Remastered
  • Blasphemous
  • The Surge 2
  • Code Vein
  • Badland

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Biomutant
  • Super Meat Boy Forever
  • Eitr
  • Nioh 2
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Elden Ring
  • Final Fantasy VII - Remake

Alienation and Nex Machina both look tempting. Such a shame Housemarque couldn't get the attention and sales anymore, their titles are better quality and decent than a lot of shit I've seen this past two years.

Honestly, I may just pick up Lords of the Fallen since I see it on sale so many goddamn times. It often gets compared to Dark Souls but is more of a poor man's version of it. Definitely heard a lot of people getting frustrated with the game.

20 hours ago, Briste said:

I may sound picky and like an asshole but having that one trophy for getting to a certain record in Diamond Dynasty in MLB the Show 19 killed my motivation for getting the game.

They should of stuck with what they did for MLB the Show 18. The only 'online' trophy I think is downloading an item from the Vault, the rest of the trophies is basically what you would expect out of a sports game. I had to readjust player stats when I did Madden NFL 11 so MLB looks to be the same deal.

Having one online trophy that takes the bulk of your time was just stupid and unnecessary.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I see that you have played DD a bit more... Have you given up on getting Zombie Boy done for the moment? :) 

I haven't given up...but the repetition to get better at each level was a little tiresome. After spending the past several months, spamming the same thing every 20-30 seconds for the 40k kills...I just wanted to do something that progresses and changes lol I'll be focusing on DD for now on my Vita and I will definitely go back to SMB before picking up anything else on the Vita. I added it as a game in the UR event just to remind myself I need to do it :)

Great job on the Necrodancer progress! I am really intrigued by how hard it is...but don't know if I'm there yet with giving that game a try. I generally suck at rhythm games and feel like I would get frustrated too early on.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

I may sound picky and like an asshole but having that one trophy for getting to a certain record in Diamond Dynasty in MLB the Show 19 killed my motivation for getting the game.

They should of stuck with what they did for MLB the Show 18. The only 'online' trophy I think is downloading an item from the Vault, the rest of the trophies is basically what you would expect out of a sports game. I had to readjust player stats when I did Madden NFL 11 so MLB looks to be the same deal.

Having one online trophy that takes the bulk of your time was just stupid and unnecessary.

I agree. The Welcome to the Chip trophy is brutal...plus the matching system is ridiculous. So far I have 415 points towards the 800...but my record is 8-11. I'll probably be stuck around 400 points for the foreseeable future since I'll lose points for every loss above it. I'll get to 450, go back to 395, etc. I'm a bronze level 27 in the game and they matched me up with a diamond level 100. My record was 8-10 and his was 697-812...needless to say he put up a 9 spot in the second inning and I forfeited...because why waste 45 minutes on the game I know I won't win. The most runs I've scored in a single game so far was 5...I'll play one game a night and see how long it takes...MLB The Show 18 was definitely a much easier game, even if the rarity says otherwise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I haven't given up...but the repetition to get better at each level was a little tiresome. After spending the past several months, spamming the same thing every 20-30 seconds for the 40k kills...I just wanted to do something that progresses and changes lol I'll be focusing on DD for now on my Vita and I will definitely go back to SMB before picking up anything else on the Vita. I added it as a game in the UR event just to remind myself I need to do it :)

Great job on the Necrodancer progress! I am really intrigued by how hard it is...but don't know if I'm there yet with giving that game a try. I generally suck at rhythm games and feel like I would get frustrated too early on.

Impossible Boy has been my roadblock for a long time. Gets irritating when you die 15 - 18 levels into the no death run. Kills my motivation to try anymore during the night so I keep putting it off and playing other games.

Since I've been extremely close, I'm not giving up. Will try to get it this month, I've waited long enough.

7 hours ago, Briste said:

I agree. The Welcome to the Chip trophy is brutal...plus the matching system is ridiculous. So far I have 415 points towards the 800...but my record is 8-11. I'll probably be stuck around 400 points for the foreseeable future since I'll lose points for every loss above it. I'll get to 450, go back to 395, etc. I'm a bronze level 27 in the game and they matched me up with a diamond level 100. My record was 8-10 and his was 697-812...needless to say he put up a 9 spot in the second inning and I forfeited...because why waste 45 minutes on the game I know I won't win. The most runs I've scored in a single game so far was 5...I'll play one game a night and see how long it takes...MLB The Show 18 was definitely a much easier game, even if the rarity says otherwise. 

MLB the Show 17 was easier and it's online trophies weren't as bad. The only MLB game I can think of apart from the old ones on the PS3 that was hard was MLB the Show 16. Mad respect for anyone who got that game finished.

I was hoping for another list like MLB the Show 18, but they had to ruin it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Absolutely, I'm waiting for Nex Machina to go on sale, I've only heard great things about it and cannot wait to play it soon. Alienation should be fun as well, it looks a lot like Helldivers, Gauntlet, Magicka and the like, but with more variety and an actual mission structure. Looking forward to that one as well!

Gauntlet pretty doable solo?

On 11/3/2019 at 0:00 AM, Spaz said:

Gauntlet pretty doable solo?

I'd say it is even easier solo. ? Though for sure more fun to do in coop.

I played first through the campaign on "normal" with two other people, but did the "hard" playthrough solo. The number of enemies scales with the number of players, and playing with 2-3 people on hard can be quite overwhelming to be honest. 

That being said, the final boss on "hard" probably needs a couple of attempts, but the worst trophy is getting to floor 50 on endless mode. That one is no joke... the last teleport is on floor 36, so you need to do 37-50 in one go without dying, and that took quite some time to do... You cannot become OP in this game, there are no RPG elements, so it really just comes down to skill. 

Other than that, as you know, most of the game is just a huge grind. You need to farm kills, ability kills and cumulative damage with each of the four characters, and it certainly is a mindless grind. It isn't the worst grind ever (from my list that honor goes to Red Dead Online ?), but it will take some hours for sure. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, Arcesius said:

If I've understood correctly, you play your vita while watching TV with your wife? I dunno if I would have managed without a bit more concentration 1f602.png Whenever I would practice any of those runs, I would take my block for taking notes (such as level order, character for each level, etc...), place myself in the perfect distance from the TV and be totally focused.. which is why I would only play about an hour at a time. 

To me it never really felt like a chore, cause I noticed how I was improving. Actually, finding strategies for consistency is one of the things I enjoyed the most :) 

Yeah, that is generally how I play on my Vita...I'm good at tuning out the TV though (too good at tuning out my wife too if you ask her lol ?) I may end up doing something like that as I get closer...I just hadn't played in a while and was getting my mojo back. It wasn't a chore so much as I just didn't want to get stuck behind doing a repetitive wall right after Space Hulk. I thought it'd be nice to get that other monkey off my back...but I just wasn't quite into it. Conversely, I'm really liking DD a lot. I think I've finally figured out enough where I'm not really confused about what is going on. The only thing I wish, was that there was an extra row to stash loot. You need to bring a ton of different items with you on treks in, which take up valuable inventory space and the loot you get takes up a lot of space too. You end up either needing to skip Curio's because you don't have the item needed to open it safely or throw out the less valuable loot to make room for the more valuable. I mean it adds to the challenge, but you never have enough room. I think you'll enjoy DD. My new favorite class is the Hellion.

Did you find the notes help? I feel like I'll just need to do it enough times where it is muscle memory.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Briste said:

Yeah, that is generally how I play on my Vita...I'm good at tuning out the TV though (too good at tuning out my wife too if you ask her lol 1f609.png) I may end up doing something like that as I get closer...I just hadn't played in a while and was getting my mojo back. It wasn't a chore so much as I just didn't want to get stuck behind doing a repetitive wall right after Space Hulk. I thought it'd be nice to get that other monkey off my back...but I just wasn't quite into it. Conversely, I'm really liking DD a lot. I think I've finally figured out enough where I'm not really confused about what is going on. The only thing I wish, was that there was an extra row to stash loot. You need to bring a ton of different items with you on treks in, which take up valuable inventory space and the loot you get takes up a lot of space too. You end up either needing to skip Curio's because you don't have the item needed to open it safely or throw out the less valuable loot to make room for the more valuable. I mean it adds to the challenge, but you never have enough room. I think you'll enjoy DD. My new favorite class is the Hellion.

Yeah I understand what you mean... You need some sense of progression, but of course Space Hulk was a monotonous, mindless grind, while SMB is about improving skill. Still, I get it :) 

I might get DD eventually... I just love the artstyle, and turn based games have always been my thing. But I don't lilke that my backlog is getting longer and longer (I know it's nothing in comparison to most here... ?), but I guess there's no way around it, especially with the games I play.. Plus, Cassy already knows everything about this game, and you are about to know everything as well, so that's a great source for advice right there ?

Did you find the notes help? I feel like I'll just need to do it enough times where it is muscle memory.

Yes and no... For me, I always remember things better if I at least write them down once... Of course most is muscle memory, and eventually I didn't use the notes anymore, but while finding strategies I wrote something short about each level, and with which character I wanted to play it. 

Some notes are actually useful, like (and I'm writing exactly as I wrote them in my book...)

• 6-1X: Alien Hominid! Double jump at highes point of background building. 
  • 6-10X: Start RIGHT AWAY!
  • 6-13X: Jump on lowest platform mid-lvl and immediately walk off to the right. 

Some are not so useful: 

• 6-15X: Git gud.
  • 6-17X: Use Meat Boy and pray. 

? What was I thinking.. 

Oh and my secret weapon... This is how my desk at work looks like: 

eP4A4QXl.jpg

Make sure to do anything you can to please the SMB gods! ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, Mori said:

You're telling me I need to be creative to get them? :(:D 

Haha unfortunately yes ? But regular paper is enough, I just used a bit of glue in addition to give them more stability :) 

Dr. Fetus is from the same page as Meat Boy above, and you can get Bandage Girl from here

You better get them assembled before Super Meat Boy Forever releases! ? (which is gonna be... when? Nobody knows. ?) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Spaz said:

What do you think of Diablo III so far? 

Most of the trophies have fairly high rarity. Either the game is fairly easy or a lot of people are sticking with it. 

Still need to purchase the Necromancer DLC.

I had already played through the base game on the X360 a couple of years ago... The game is piss easy, that's for sure! I'm playing it with @Mori and I think I can speak for the both of us, we are having a blast... It is one of those games that even if you don't need to pay attention to what you are doing, is still super fun ?

The trophy list could have been much more challenging and grindy, but there is nothing difficulty-related, and that definitely explains the high trophy rarities. We have been cranking up the difficulty whenever we could, as it rewards you with more XP and gold, and lessens the grind... But even then, healing is almost never necessary... 

However, we are about to start the 500 bounties grind, and need to get 4 more characters to max level (plus the hardcore character)... So let's see how much fun it still is when we are close to the platinum ?

You definitely should get the DLC! The fifth act introduced there is probably one of the better parts of the campaign. 

Still prefer Diablo II though. 

You know what is not so easy? Beating the bosses in Death's Gambit on Heroic.. ? I beat Eldritch Council last night, and it took me freaking 41 attempts! (there is a death counter for each boss). That's right, 41 attempts! ?

Still have one more boss to go. But this game would be sitting in the 1-2% platinum rarity if it wasn't for the debug room that was present in previous versions of the game, allowing you to be invincible and deal 2000% more damage (no kidding).

It is easy to see that the rarity would be that much lower.. there have been 3 platinum achievers since August, where the debug room disappeared... I'll get it though! ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

The Black Friday sale sucks... Code Vein is still being offered for 50€, so that's a big nope. But they still got me... I purchased Remnant: From the Ashes 1f636.png That one looks like a lot of fun! And since I thought Immortal: Unchained had some good ideas, let's see if Remnant implemented those a bit better. 

Hope you end up liking Remnant. I've been having a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1

Remnant is a cool game, I completed it on PC recently. It is a great experience in co-op but keep in mind that some story trophies are only for the host so that kinda sucks. Can also be played perfectly on your own! 

Nice job on Diablo 3! I picked it up this week for Black Friday and I am excited to play it. I played it on the PC a while ago but with Diablo 4 being announced I felt the perfect time to get back to it. 

Good luck with the Death Gambit under 4 hours I am sure you can do it! 

Oh and I agree with the sale sucking. I bought some Physicals that were nicely priced but overall the sale is pretty lackluster. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

It is a great experience in co-op but keep in mind that some story trophies are only for the host so that kinda sucks. Can also be played perfectly on your own!

That's not great news. Are those trophies unmissable? Since the game requires multiple playthroughs anyway, it shouldnt be a big issue then, right?

Edit: I looked up the guide. It also relates to sidequest and meeting certain NPC's .. hope this dont turn out to be annoying as hell. Dont even know why devs do that kind of stuff in the first place. :|

Edited by Mori

On 11/29/2019 at 1:26 PM, ZoutjeNL said:

Remnant is a cool game, I completed it on PC recently. It is a great experience in co-op but keep in mind that some story trophies are only for the host so that kinda sucks. Can also be played perfectly on your own!

Oh, I also didn't know that some trophies only pop for the host... ? But the game looks very fun regardless, so I hope it won't be too tedious to do some things twice ?

I only wanted to quickly check-in... Haven't had much time for gaming lately, nor for writing around here... I got the platinum on Death's Gambit, but I haven't found the time to write a review yet. I hope to have one soon! Otherwise I have also made some progress in other games: 

Pier Solar and the Great Architects

This game has never been offered on a sale, so I just went ahead and purchased it at full price. It's been quite some time since I last played a JRPG, and I really am in the mood for one. I'm only 4-5 hours in, but so far I'm having a good time with Pier Solar! ? It was originally released on the Genesis, but you can select upgraded graphics and sound on the PS4. It still looks old-school, but it doesn't make your eyes and ears bleed ?

Crypt of the NecroDancer

I finally cleared Monk! Remember? The one with the "vow of poverty" mechanic? The one that instantly dies if he steps on gold? Yeah. I dunno how, and after watching my run I have to admit that I got lucky in a couple of places... But that doesn't matter right now ?

Beating the game with Monk unlocked Bolt, a character that plays in double-tempo. She (and Coda) is the reason why platinum-achievers recommend playing with a keyboard... On the fastest song, the Death Metal boss fight, you are required to enter about 6 inputs per second.... Try doing that with your left thumb only on a controller... It's possible, but it requires a lot of training... 

In any case, I haven't been able to practice much with her yet, but I at least cleared the first zone. I think this one will be more fun than Monk, but also quite challenging. My hope is that becoming proficient at double-tempo play will make normal-tempo characters easier as well. 

Death's Gambit review soon.. I promise! ?

• Like 4