Rest in Peace PS Vita

DEI2EK

The Vita did have some marketing, but it wasn't exactly successful (neither the marketing neither the Vita itself). For me the biggest failure was that they promised Playstation 3 performance, which for regular users meant that all the plethora of AAA PS3 titles were going to be made for the Vita. They didn't and the few that were most weren't stellar. Uncharted, Killzone and FIFA were good, but a lot of others were not. And what materialized wasn't enough, so 1 year after launch most prospective customers went away. Yes there were some good titles but these were niche ones and they did not help the sales of the console.

Sony was probably expecting to sell a gazillion Vitas in the first year. When that didn't happen they just neglected it. They over promised and then dump it in a snap. Amazing that it did sell in any numbers  anyway,but since at least 2014 it was a niche console for niche players.

7 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Sony literally put out more first/second party titles for Vita than Nintendo did for Switch at launch. And I only put two videos because I'm lazy and that's all that's needed to counter the nonsense claim of "zero". Their marketing was TERRIBLE, not nonexistent. They barely featured the games, and the Taco Bell one sucked to advertise the system itself. And by 2nd year it was almost entirely about remote play, then nothing since leadership changed and so did priories and Vita got the boot.

edit; And in Japan they had like two Japanese games so of course it flopped there forever because Sony focused on getting western developers. Square Enix then didn't really support the system after launch until it had already died in the west. Had they got on board earlier I think Japan would've bought into it faster. But they only released that Pikimin-esk Hell game and that one hunting game which I think was also on PSP. Which was another issue, lots of Japanese games were also still on PSP.

Square Enix did support the Vita at launch. They had Army Corps of Hell... And another japanese only title.

I think that there's a different market perception on how you can trust that Nintendo will do the right thing in terms of really good games they will get for their consoles. And they sell very well, see the staggering numbers some of the Switch games have in sales. Even the failure that the Wii U was has some amazing numbers in some games. They had several multi million sellers, and it seems that Sony didn't even manage to sell 1.5 million Uncharted games for the Vita, which was their best seller (Wii U has a few titles in the 5 million). And the Vita even sold more than the Wii U. So if Uncharted sold these numbers you can guess how many most titles have sold. It's pretty obvious why all major publishers went away, if Sony was dumping it were they stupid to bet on the boat that was sinking.

In the end it was stupid that the market didn't exist. The Switch isn't a failure, is it? It's mostly a problem of competence. Yes for the players...

2 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

Zero effort

zero marketing

zero zero zero!!

sony comes up with a brilliant idea and finds a way to destroy it

enjoy your indie box

mine collects dust

Pity yours is collecting dust. I still think it's a very good console and play it a lot.

Edited by cris3f
  • Like 2

Two great problems this console had, were the extremely high prices of memory cards and the absence of multiple accounts. That was entirely Sony's fault.

I hope sony never ever does another handheld, they don't know how to manage them without being too greedy. In the meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying this little marvel of engineering...

4 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

ZERO!

I totally got what you said.  Zero in the figurative sense, not zero in the literal sense.  And you're right.  I had never even seen that AC trailer.  I see a PS4 trailer or advertisement somewhere every day and I don't watch television.  It's true that 1>0, but for all intents and purposes, it was zero.  Which is sad because it's a pretty bad ass little console.

It's funny. People have been calling the Vita "dead" for many years now, but here we are in 2019, still having the exact same conversations. Oh, but this time it's for real, right? :P Despite Sony's best efforts to kill of the Vita time and time again, it still has a small but passionate/dedicated fanbase who are playing the system and buying games for it to this day. I have no reason to believe this latest decision will affect that in any way. I know that I'll still be using my Vita(s) on a regular basis for years to come. ^_^

I had a feeling that production would be ending soon anyway, which is why I bought a new Vita just a few months ago. There's no way I was going to risk losing access to my vast library of games. ;)

• Like 3

The Vita only had a truly good run in 2011 - 2013, when Sony was giving the handheld a series of exclusives worth playing, such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Tearaway.

The main reason I hold onto a Vita is because it is portable. The Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 consoles are almost strictly home consoles, they are not very portable and they are quite bulky to carry around. With the Vita I can carry it in my pocket, travel to a city like Seattle or San Francisco, stop at a coffee shop and use their Wi-Fi to play.

The Vita has a small following, including people on this website who still play it on a regular basis. But it's pretty much done and over with as far as mainline exclusives go, and I feel that sooner or later there won't be anymore games released for the system.

It's one of the best handhelds I ever played. It's just a shame it didn't do all that well in sales, especially compared to the PSP, which actually had a pretty good following going at one point.

11 hours ago, sona_11 said:

I hope they don’t shutdown the psn store any time soon , i have many games that I want to play 1f622.png 

That won’t happen. Shutting down the PS Store will effectively kill PlayStation as a whole. It’s like the heartbeat for console owners. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Elvick_ said:

You said zero. I gave one example because 1 > 0.

I could go on. But the lie that Sony put out "zero" ads and "zero" games is just useless for an actual discussion on the problems they made.

Normally, I would say, "Don't be pedantic" for your first statement, but the second statement saves it. 

The Vita run sucked. But much of the suckage was of Sony's own making. My favorite statement regarding the horribly overpriced memory cards came from an Amazon reviewer, who opined that they must be carved from the backs of rare jewel beasts.

Personally I couldn't care less how little attention the Vita gets. All that matters to a lot of us is the Vita has some hidden gems worth looking at, and I still plan to pick up a few games once I clear out a dozen games or so off of my backlog.

The expensive memory cards didn't help anything and that was part of what made the Vita fail financially in the long run. Sony pretty much choked their own creation and by 2014 - 2015 they had abandoned the handheld because of the then new Playstation 4 that was getting all the praise and recognition.

I have a 16 GB memory card and I feel that is plenty. I could of opted for a larger one but that would of been a waste of money, and I only really play the Vita when I'm away from home.

The Vita is dead in the mainstream. It's too old and too niche for the masses to care about it. Doesn't mean it's a bad console, nor does it mean it lacks a library of good games. You're just not going to hear much of anything about it apart from the small communities out there that still play and enjoy the handheld for what it is.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:58 AM, mako-heart said:

is anyone else eyeing the switch to "replace" their vita

imo it's more like continue since vita is getting the shaft, i'll still play mine (backlog ho!).

I wanted a Switch eventually, but I feel like my hand is being forced to consider one sooner.

Honestly, I barely touch mine and the Vita has craploads more games and always will. Switch is a fun Mod system but unless you're truly done with the Vita? You really need to check that the switch is right for you. Zelda is fantastic but that's about it for me, and yes I've tried many many games

On 2/20/2019 at 10:40 PM, Z1MZUM said:

Honestly, I barely touch mine and the Vita has craploads more games and always will. Switch is a fun Mod system but unless you're truly done with the Vita? You really need to check that the switch is right for you. Zelda is fantastic but that's about it for me, and yes I've tried many many games

I'm mostly waiting for SMT and Animal Crossing lol.

But if stuff moves from PS to Switch, I'll have to follow sooner than expected

my vita is my buddy that keeps me company during my commute to and from work. sure it takes me a few weeks or a month to finish a 10 hour plat but, that just means it'll take me years to finish playing everything that ive wanted to on there lol. so long as that thing can connect to psn i'm good. 

I would give almost anything for a third portable PlayStation, but I know it’s never going to happen. PSP and PS Vita will always be my PlayStations of choice. I’m just glad the spirit of high-end portability lives on in the Switch, but I’m always going to be sad we’ll never get another portable offering from Japan Studio. Locoroco, Patapon, Patchwork Heroes, and Gravity Rush are my jams.

Too bad...

I'm still using it and i'll continue to use it in the future since there are still some games i want to try plus i always loved to play old school games on handheld and Vita has good PSOne and PSP games in its store, not many but still few good ones. Shame it never had a good emulator for SNES/Game Boy games like PSP. In any case i also use Vita to watch anime.

On the other side is undeniable that PS Vita has quite few games and even less good ones... unless you live in Japan ofc.

Edited by DeathNyx