Rest in Peace PS Vita

DEI2EK

On 2/18/2019 at 7:07 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

No. ?  Hopefully the Vita PSN store closure isn't anytime near.

I'd really, really doubt it. PSvita may not be being produced anymore, but games are still coming out for it digitally and gets huge support from indie developers (just look at the drop from this week https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/03/01/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-march-5-2019/). Sony is not just going to suddenly shut down the store with games still coming out for the system. It makes zero (and I do mean zero in a literal sense here, lmfao) to just turn it off when games are still coming out and in some cases, still in production.

@mako-heart, I just bought a switch this week and love it. I didn't think it'd feel that great playing it in handheld mode, but honestly, I think it feels more natural than on a big screen with a Pro controller. The switch is a lot tinier than I expected and can come with you almost anywhere. I'm also surprised by the battery life of it. I played Super Smash Bros. (a high-performance game) and played 2 and a half hours without any troubles and still had battery to spare before calling it a night. If you like nintendo games and you like indies (dead cells, celeste, hollow knight, etc.) and remakes of older games (Final Fantasy Series, Crash Bandicoot, Skyrim, South Park, etc), it's really the perfect system for you on the go.

I don't really find this "sad" because it was a long time coming. I mean, they cut off the creation of cartridges already about a year ago so this really doesn't come to a surprise at all. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 4:07 AM, Atom1cMoose said:

my vita is my buddy that keeps me company during my commute to and from work. sure it takes me a few weeks or a month to finish a 10 hour plat but, that just means it'll take me years to finish playing everything that ive wanted to on there lol. so long as that thing can connect to psn i'm good. 

This is me right here. I must be the only person in Sydney, Australia who regularly plays a vita on the way to and from work. I did get a switch back in 2017 but I never really considered it portable. 

Also, seeing as this is a trophy website/forum, PS vita platinums are helping to increase my platinum count quickly at this rate. I mostly play obscure japanese stuff (otome and other visual novels) as I can just read them on the train.

I heard that there is no plan to make a Vita 2. Sony has decided to drop handhelds and focus on the PS5, which makes sense since the Nintendo Switch killed any handhelds in the future. I guess what I should do is try to get as many Vita plats as I can before I send my Vita into the dumpster. Time to switch my Vita to the new account. xD

On 06/03/2019 at 0:24 PM, thekingsman123 said:

This is me right here. I must be the only person in Sydney, Australia who regularly plays a vita on the way to and from work. I did get a switch back in 2017 but I never really considered it portable. 

Also, seeing as this is a trophy website/forum, PS vita platinums are helping to increase my platinum count quickly at this rate. I mostly play obscure japanese stuff (otome and other visual novels) as I can just read them on the train.

Nope! I am also in Sydney and also play on my commute. :D

1 minute ago, igs63 said:

Ah well, everyone else's loss I guess...

I'm in Brisbane though originally from Sydney, I've never seen a PSP or Vita being played in public. I am a Vita fan and use a Whitelisted Vita Tv at home and on holiday.

14 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm in Brisbane though originally from Sydney, I've never seen a PSP or Vita being played in public. I am a Vita fan and use a Whitelisted Vita Tv at home and on holiday.

I've seen more people playing a Switch than a Vita, it was one person at Mascot last year lol. 

PSPs got more love than poor old Vitas. Used to see heaps of kids playing them when I was in high school.

32 minutes ago, Feral said:

I've seen more people playing a Switch than a Vita, it was one person at Mascot last year lol. 

PSPs got more love than poor old Vitas. Used to see heaps of kids playing them when I was in high school.

Mascot? I have some memorable history from there. Pokemon Go has destroyed the handheld market imo.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

So many Australians! I still use my Vita but have never seen a single person with a Vita yet I'm seeing switches wherever I go. On the train, Switch! At the Bus Stop, Switch! At the Sushi Train restaurant next to the cinema, Switch! You get the point.

I've been lucky enough to see 2 pre-owned Vitas being sold at a Brisbane EB Games a couple of months ago. I went there again a month later and I couldn't see it locked behind the counter anymore. The most Vita games I've seen sold at any store in 2019 is at another EB Games store in Sydney (Capitol Theatre) during a 4-day trip.

From how I see it, you know the Vita was a flop when you consider the support given by The 3 Stooges (EA, Ubisoft & Activision).

• EA published 4 FIFA games for the Vita, EA SPORTS Fifa Football (unobtainable trophy), FIFA 13, FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. They also released Criterion's 2012 Need For Speed: Most Wanted reboot. Unlike the Origin (PC), PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U versions, the Vita release never received the 4 DLC packs. I always found this odd considering EA's lust for extra money by adding paid DLC to all versions of the game. If I recall correctly there were plans for a Vita release of NFS: Rivals but EA rejected it because "they didn't sell enough copies of MW for the Vita". I call bullshit on this!
  • Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed Liberation (the Far Cry: New Dawn of AC III) which was intended to be exclusive for the Vita like Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines was for the PSP. But just like Gravity Rush and Tearaway, they ruined that by porting it to the PS3/360/PC the year after. Ubisoft also released the Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy (China, Russia & India), Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends for the Vita.
  • Activision, the worst of the 3 when it came to supporting the Vita. They released Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and after that ignored it all together. It wasn't even developed by Treyarch so that explains why it was so poorly received, but I'd be happy to play this over Black Ops 4 any day!

This all comes down to the fact that developing games for the Vita is expensive and will result in poor sales due to the low sales/interest for the Vita itself. I haven't even mentioned Take Two's input. Rockstar released the Grand Theft Auto: iFruit Companion App and that's about it! Pretty disgusting when you recall their take on the PSP with games like GTA: Chinatown Wars. 2K did release Borderlands 2 for the Vita, which is something, but just not enough.

Any questions?

This almost makes me want to buy a brand new Vita as backup before brand new consoles are all gone. My current launch model is still doing fine however, just hope it keeps on kicking for years to come.

It's a shame that the Vita never really reached its full potential. Over the years, there's been more and more games that were once exclusive to the platform being ported the PS4/PC, which I imagine just made it even less enticing to people on the fence about it. It still has a great library however, and I've personally always preferred its controls over that of the 3DS (I've had the rubber on the flimsy circle pad fall off twice on my 3DS XL, and once on my original 3DS). Main downside for me was the rear touchpad which made a few games awkward to control, and I've accidentally covered the speakers with my thumbs while playing a few times.

17 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

So many Australians! I still use my Vita but have never seen a single person with a Vita yet I'm seeing switches wherever I go. On the train, Switch! At the Bus Stop, Switch! At the Sushi Train restaurant next to the cinema, Switch! You get the point.

I've been lucky enough to see 2 pre-owned Vitas being sold at a Brisbane EB Games a couple of months ago. I went there again a month later and I couldn't see it locked behind the counter anymore. The most Vita games I've seen sold at any store in 2019 is at another EB Games store in Sydney (Capitol Theatre) during a 4-day trip.

From how I see it, you know the Vita was a flop when you consider the support given by The 3 Stooges (EA, Ubisoft & Activision).

• EA published 4 FIFA games for the Vita, EA SPORTS Fifa Football (unobtainable trophy), FIFA 13, FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. They also released Criterion's 2012 Need For Speed: Most Wanted reboot. Unlike the Origin (PC), PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U versions, the Vita release never received the 4 DLC packs. I always found this odd considering EA's lust for extra money by adding paid DLC to all versions of the game. If I recall correctly there were plans for a Vita release of NFS: Rivals but EA rejected it because "they didn't sell enough copies of MW for the Vita". I call bullshit on this!
  • Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed Liberation (the Far Cry: New Dawn of AC III) which was intended to be exclusive for the Vita like Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines was for the PSP. But just like Gravity Rush and Tearaway, they ruined that by porting it to the PS3/360/PC the year after. Ubisoft also released the Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy (China, Russia & India), Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends for the Vita.
  • Activision, the worst of the 3 when it came to supporting the Vita. They released Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and after that ignored it all together. It wasn't even developed by Treyarch so that explains why it was so poorly received, but I'd be happy to play this over Black Ops 4 any day!

This all comes down to the fact that developing games for the Vita is expensive and will result in poor sales due to the low sales/interest for the Vita itself. I haven't even mentioned Take Two's input. Rockstar released the Grand Theft Auto: iFruit Companion App and that's about it! Pretty disgusting when you recall their take on the PSP with games like GTA: Chinatown Wars. 2K did release Borderlands 2 for the Vita, which is something, but just not enough.

Any questions?

Tbh I haven't really played many western games on the Vita. With that said Need For Speed Most wanted is a fantastic port and a good example of the power in such a tiny machine. Yes development in those carts doesn't come cheap but the introduction of sony's own memory card was a money grabbing flaw so both examples of buyer and seller handing over $ right to sony. If your as old as I am then you'd know about Sony and Lik Sang and Sega, I personally don't like Sony or it practices and as far as I'm concerned they're still babies in the video game industry. One things for certain, they will never give a toss about any of us and that's to be expected.

I only just got a Vita for Christmas and I am loving it! There are loads of games I have my eye on that will probably take me years to get finished and once there are no Vita games to play it'll just become a portable PS1 for me as there are loads of classics I want to replay on the move!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, Skeptical69 said:

Activision, the worst of the 3 when it came to supporting the Vita. They released Call Of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and after that ignored it all together. It wasn't even developed by Treyarch so that explains why it was so poorly received, but I'd be happy to play this over Black Ops 4 any day!

Don't get why they had Nihilistic (now called nStigate & doing only mobile games) make this one, especially when they never had experience with a CoD game. I'd rather have had a port of Black Ops II for Vita instead of that hot mess.

2 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Don't get why they had Nihilistic (now called nStigate & doing only mobile games) make this one, especially when they never had experience with a CoD game. I'd rather have had a port of Black Ops II for Vita instead of that hot mess.

I'm certain Nihilistic was the developer of Resistance: Burning Skies. I mean, at least Black Ops: Declassified had a campaign.

NO LONGER QUOTING: Everyone was talking about how BO4 wouldn't have a campaign. They do realise the Black Ops III campaign was a disappointment, right? I haven't played a Call Of Duty game before but I'm planning on trying Modern Warfare Remastered in a couple of months (I still own BO3 from the E3 2018 PS Plus giveaway). I have heard someone claim it had nothing to do with the previous two games, which explains a lot.

I know I'm going off topic, but can I just say how hypocritical the Call Of Duty fanbase is regarding Black Ops 4? Infinite Warfare was sandbagged greatly due to the oversaturation of futuristic COD games, take one look at the dislikes of the reveal trailer on YouTube! I'm sure Infinite Warfare was a good game for what it is (same issue with Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One) but it insulted me greatly how no one compared Black Ops 4 to Infinite Warfare (yet to find a comparison video) for being a futuristic shooter. Sure, it's not completely futuristic (like how Battlefield 4 is set in the present with the exception of the Final Stand DLC) but Black Ops 4 is as Advanced Warfare as it gets. By 2030 there will be Black Ops IX for all I care, because the Black Ops sub-franchise (like how Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six are individual IPs within Ubisoft's "Tom Clancy's" IP) is Activision's cash cow and that is non-negotiable.

Treyarch has developed five COD games within a decade, World At War in 2008 and Black Ops in 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2018! For fuck sake give us a new sub-IP! There wasn't a new COD brand for five years, from W@W to Ghosts. Ghosts is arguably the first game to set the franchise to an all new low, alongside EA's Battlefield 4 with it's disastrous launch. Jeebus Crisp! No wonder the introduction of the 8th generation wasn't a complete trainwreck. Don't get me started on Knack! The PS3 version is still unpolished to this day! If DICE LA (Medal Of Honor dev. Danger Close) failed to mop up the game than don't expect Bethesda to fix Fallout 76 either! It never happened to Duke Nukem: Forever or LittleBigPlanet 3, so why did it matter to DICE to fix the game in the first place? No Man's Sky is a different slice of cake.

The thing that baffled me the most was the promise the Activision made before revealing Call Of Duty WWII was that the next game would bring the franchise "back to its roots" and if I recall correctly, would continue that afterwards. That didn't happen, did it? They'll just make more futuristic era shooters until everyone complains again and then we'll see another historical shooter only to experience the same shit from before! Is Activision a bunch of brain-dead Jellyfish? When will they learn that their actions have consequences? But why am I still questioning? Who am I kidding, IT'S FUCKING ACTIVI$ION! What did you expect, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 6? A Guitar Hero subscription service? Skylanders 7 featuring Jak & Daxter PlayStation Exclusive Pre-Order DLC? Remember when they (along with Bungie) promised to support the vanilla Destiny for ten years? Oh, what's that? There was a sequel 3 years later? And your just going to recycle the same monetization model from the 1st game? Here's how it goes.

• Year 1: Two minor expansions
  • Year 2: First major expansion (making you pay for the same game again)
  • Year 3: Second major expansion (base game locked behind the paywall a 2nd time. The future of gaming looks great!)
  • Year 4: A sequel that never learned from the mistakes made from the overhyped release of the 1st Destiny game!

The future ain't looking too good for the Call Of Duty franchise I can tell you that! At this point I've said enough about the hypocrisy surrounding the COD fanbase that makes me question why anyone dared to call out the Rick & Morty fandom...

10 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

Treyarch has developed five COD games within a decade, World At War in 2008 and Black Ops in 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2018! For fuck sake give us a new sub-IP!

I wasn't disappointed with BO3's campaign, & it also offered co-op for those who do MP. But I'll agree with this... they should close that sub-series & start a new one, or at least take a break from it. What I think they should do with future CoD titles is to make a campaign but maybe offer it seperately from the MP mode. Campaign & MP content could then be sold separately for $35 each, or together for $60.

While Treyarch was busy with Black Ops 2, Activision should've had some Infinity Ward team members supervise Nihilistic as they worked on Declassified.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana on Vita is pretty good for a portable, even if it runs at closer to 30 FPS rather than the 60 seen on PS4/PC & never got the extra content of those versions. Only in some of the cutscenes does the framerate take a big hit.

I just re bought a vita after selling one 4 years ago. There a ton of games I want to replay and discover some new ones. The home-brew community is alive and kickin', and it's breathing life into the vita. The vita is far from dead! 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...